Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg
20240129_160756 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 17-10-29 Ainfox Patio Greenhouse Walk-in Green House Portable Plastic Mini Greenhouse Gardening Plant H
IMG_20200813_200658~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240122-092750_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240122-092554_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240122-092622_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240120-185930_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dickhamill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7495 2 years ago
Quoted from Chrimeg:

Just wondering if someone can give me some insight here on what to do with decals.
I'm getting ready to lay down some clearcoat on an EM playfield I've stripped completely (front and back). A lot of texts were in rough shape so I recreated them for decals. I've also purchased all new inserts as 90% of them were cracked or in bad shape.
So my question is...after roughing up the inserts and gluing them in then laying down the "lockdown" clear. I need to sand the surface flat correct? However, if I do this then the decals will look cloudy laying them on the sanded surface. If I polish the surface for the decals to stick and look good....then how do I sand over them for the next layer of clear to bind?
If I put the lockdown layer on and sand with 1000 grit and put decals on this. Will the decals stick and look ok over than and will 1000 give enough tooth for the next layer of clear to bite?
I can't seem to find a clear process for this in the guide.

Has anyone weighed in on this question?
I'm wondering the same thing. If the clear is roughed to accept the next coat, the decals lock in the rough look and a foggy outline can be seen. If the clear is sanded up to 3000, the decals look great but will the next coat of clear stick?

#7497 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I usually install decals over glossy clear, not sanded clear
If the clear is old and hard, I then lightly sand around the decals.
If the clear is fresh, I just shoot the next layer like normal

Awesome - thanks!

2 weeks later
#7557 2 years ago

Apologies if this has been covered.
I have inserts on a Williams Stellar Wars that look okay when lit but there are "scratches" (perhaps between the decal and the plastic?) that are apparent when some of the inserts are unlit. These "scratches" are not in the direction of ball travel and they appear to be below the surface finish.
Do I need to scrape these inserts back to the plastic and then re-decal them after lock-in clear?
If so, should I attempt the perpendicular chisel method to remove the finish first?

IMG_3178 (resized).jpegIMG_3178 (resized).jpegIMG_3179 (resized).jpegIMG_3179 (resized).jpegIMG_3181 (resized).jpegIMG_3181 (resized).jpeg
10 months later
#8012 1 year ago

I'm about to eyedropper sunken inserts on a 1980 playfield (Scorpion). Some inserts are loose and need to be re-glued--no problem. Other inserts feel secure, but there are gaps around the edges that might leak clear coat through. Any tips on sealing inserts so CC doesn't leak out? I'm guessing run epoxy around the back side rim with an acid brush? Or forcibly remove any sketchy ones and re-glue them completely?

#8014 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can brush some wood dust from your sander down those holes, then drip some Thin cyano glue after it (it comes in thin, medium and thick)
It might even let out a puff of smoke, that's normal.
a couple of fills and drips and it will be level[quoted image]

Thank you—I’ll do that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dickhamill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=dickhamill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.