IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg
20240129_160756 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Superchicken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#616 10 years ago

I’ve starting working on a Xenon PF and have gotten through the cleaning. After using ME and alcohol I’m left with some clean ball swirls/planking/crazing in the lacquer. I have found that in the past, clear coating over this locks in the valleys and although the topcoat is smooth you can still see the swirl marks if the light hits at an angle. Any thoughts on how to address this. Should I try to polish or sand these out before applying the base clear? I’m worried that too much more abrasive will start lifting paint. Here is a pic of where things currently stand.

Xenonrepair1.jpgXenonrepair1.jpg

Update:
I hit the area again with ME and alcohol but still had ball swirls. Next step was to use some automotive clay and that got it to where it looks good.
Xenonrepair2.jpgXenonrepair2.jpg

#619 10 years ago
Quoted from mwiz:

Is there another plastic primer that you can recommend? Something I can get at a big box store? I can't find the 3M Plastic Primer for sale anywhere.
Thanks.

I'm thinking 3M has updated their product line and this may be the same stuff Vid is talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Primer-94-Wrapping-Application/dp/B0088P06AS/ref=sr_1_1

#625 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

ebay.com link » 3m Ac77 2 Primer Plastics 2 Oz Clear

Yeah, I saw that one. The data sheet said it was specifically for superglue type products. The 3M Tape Primer 94 looked to be a more generically compatible adhesive primer.

#628 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

That one sounds like it is for use with the 3M adhesive tapes.

Yeah. There are a wide variety of tapes and it looks like it would also be compatible with Scotch-Weld which is a two part epoxy.

1 week later
#666 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sharpen a chisel and hold it completely vertical (not at an angle like you normally use a chisel), the old clear and silkscreen will come right off.

Along the same line, I've used a Cabinet Scraper to do this type of cleanup.

1 month later
#711 10 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

What kind of safety equipment are people using for spraying clear? The local body supply shop sold me a dual cartridge mask but the clear definitely says to use a positive pressure supplied air system. I watched some YouTube videos where a guy was spraying with just a dust mask which seemed crazy.

My understanding is there are no cartridge masks that protect against isocyanines. Spend the $350 and get one of these or have someone else do it:
ebay.com link: itm

#713 10 years ago

OK. It's odd that 3M never says that in their product information. I guess you have to dig through the mind numbing NIOSH approvals to find what's covered or rely on the reseller. But still, after buying a full face respirator, changing the cartridges 5 or 6 times, a supplied fresh air respirator is the same money. Besides, it's nice and cozy inside the tent.

#731 10 years ago
Quoted from MinnPin:

Spray booth thing is very cool and I will probably be taking that instruction to heart. Vid says clearing in the driveway will open the surface up to airborne gunk. He's absolutely right, but then he hasn't seen the inside of my garage. Hehe. I think this spray booth system is definitely in order. Thanks for the tip.

Here's a garage booth I built with 1"EMT tubing and fittings from here:
http://tarps.com/fittings2.htm
booth.jpgbooth.jpg

7 months later
#1568 9 years ago

Was this the HP scanner? What is the model number?

Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Ok, you convinced me. I was able to pick one up NIB for $50 shipped off of Ebay. It even works with Windows 8.1.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 179.00
$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Superchicken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=Superchicken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.