Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Plumonium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3422 7 years ago

Hi Vid,

As discussed, here are the pictures of my Fish Tales playfield. Some planking. Is this fixable so I can touch up and then clear? I noticed the image is not solid color but rather dotted on the blue and orange part, I fear it can't be touched up. Is this playfield always going to be a player's condition? Should I look into a new CPR then if wanted better? If it's salvageable, what should be the process?

Thanks!

f0e2f5d1cbf56acb5d7dc17f10bd33ad91210949.jpgf0e2f5d1cbf56acb5d7dc17f10bd33ad91210949.jpg
da00dfc5c0ee673e4a9f24be44f633289f440fec.jpgda00dfc5c0ee673e4a9f24be44f633289f440fec.jpg

#3425 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

5. Repaint solid areas.

6. Apply decals of dots and text.

Isn't the blue and orange area a gradient pattern?

#3427 7 years ago

So in these images, the solid color would be light blue and the dark blue would be ALL half-tone dots decals?

Sounds tricky

ftpf20.jpgftpf20.jpg
ftpf21.jpgftpf21.jpg

#3429 7 years ago

Also, will "light sanding" take care of the bumpiness here and won't show up through the clear or something needs to be done?

Capture_(resized).JPGCapture_(resized).JPG

#3431 7 years ago

If you got to apply frisket over an area that's already been touched up with water slide decals, how to prevent the frisket to lift the decals?

2 weeks later
#3444 7 years ago

Is it 100% necessary to strip of parts the back side of a playfield to clearcoat? How to deal with it then? remove switches, plug holes?

1 month later
#3602 7 years ago

Hey vid,

About storing playfield, I guess any piece of wood would work as rails to straighten the playfield? Hard wood most likely.

Do you simply screw along the sides and top and bottom or at a few place in the middle as well?

Most importantly, do you use exiting holes for top side rails or screw in fresh wood? Does this leave holes when the playfield is ready to use?

Any pictures how you do it?

#3604 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

with the screws entering the "endgrain"

Not sure I understand this part, sorry

#3606 7 years ago

Oh ok! The endgrain of the rail, not the playfield...

#3608 7 years ago

Like that I guess. Screws #8 in the same holes as the top side rails. Careful not to go through. Mine are poplar wood 1"x2".

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3609 7 years ago

This won't prevent twisting though, any solution?

2 months later
#3839 7 years ago

Hi Vid,

I'm restoring my Pinbot and decided to bite the bullet and refinish my playfield as well. The playfield had factory mylar which removed pretty good. As you can see in the pictures, I got very little paint loss except a few places and got some planking as well.

I through fully cleaned the playfield with magic eraser and alcohol. I still have to sand the shooter lane.

I intend to airbrush solid colors wherever is needed. I needed to patch 2 holes with bondo and I sanded flat.

There are a few screw holes the have the top layer of veneer cracked and split as you can see in the pictures, should I do anything for those?

Is it mandatory to clear before airbrushing?

Can I base clear with water based spray can varathane and do the final clear with 2pac? Then I can only take the playfield to a paint shop when I'm totally done.

Basically, from what what you see and hear, what would be my next steps?

Thanks!

-G

IMG_4472 (resized).JPGIMG_4472 (resized).JPGIMG_4673 (resized).JPGIMG_4673 (resized).JPGIMG_4686 (resized).JPGIMG_4686 (resized).JPGIMG_4684 (resized).JPGIMG_4684 (resized).JPGIMG_4678 (resized).JPGIMG_4678 (resized).JPGIMG_4677 (resized).JPGIMG_4677 (resized).JPGIMG_4676 (resized).JPGIMG_4676 (resized).JPGIMG_4459 (resized).JPGIMG_4459 (resized).JPGIMG_4461 (resized).JPGIMG_4461 (resized).JPGIMG_4675 (resized).JPGIMG_4675 (resized).JPGIMG_4679 (resized).JPGIMG_4679 (resized).JPGIMG_4672 (resized).JPGIMG_4672 (resized).JPGIMG_4458 (resized).JPGIMG_4458 (resized).JPG

#3842 7 years ago

Cheers mate

1 week later
#3889 7 years ago

Hi Vid, I'm about to start trying to find a local paint shop to do the base clear coat over my Pinbot before I do touch-ups. What should I look for or avoid?

Type/Brand/Mix of automotive clear that are OK and not OK, Any type they are using?

Amount of clear to apply and how since it's probably going to be their first playfield. Or does it make a difference?

Basically what question should I ask when calling? I'd like them to take my playfield anytime they plan on doing clearcoat on other automotive pieces so they do all at the same time for minimum cost. To make it simple for them, I thinking saying I got a fancy flat piece of 2'x4' plywood to 2pac. Would that work you think?

Thanks man.

#3894 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There are guys on Pinside who do the complete start to finish job for that price.

Then I'm going to ask here:

Is there anyone here in the Montreal area that clears playfield?

#3897 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Then I'm going to ask here:

Is there anyone here in the Montreal area that clears playfield?

I think I found my guy. Thanks!

1 week later
#3917 7 years ago

I sent my playfield for base clear coat and built a neat transport/levelling box. I did not strip the underside. The brackets on the sides are strategically placed so they do not hang on anything on the playfield. I thought I would share a picture.
-G

IMG_1339 (resized).JPGIMG_1339 (resized).JPG

#3920 7 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Does the playfield drop in and just sit on the L brackets

Yes it just sits on it. It could be screwed through the "L" bracket but no need really unless you want to flip the thing. The playfield cannot slide out of the frame. Also, when sitting, the playfield sticks out a little so the clear can reach the edge. The frame is slightly wider than the playfield anyway.

Quoted from xsvtoys:

this can just be set onto a table or wherever all as one assembly

Yes, sitting on top of sawhorses would be perfect. The playfield will sit leveled this way. The frame is 9" depth so plenty to clear all the hardware underneath the playfield.

1 week later
#3986 7 years ago

Vid, the guy who does my base clear coat said that I could seal my color touch-ups myself with very light coats of acrylic lacquer between colors and only bring him back the playfield for final clear. That sounds like an ideal situation to me.

Would you advise against it or it is OK to use lacquer under those circumstances?

1 week later
#4008 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Make sure you post your results here for others to see!
Before and after pics would be great.

Got my playfield back from the clearcoating dude. Overall very happy. He did some black touch-ups using the wipe method to fill the cracks on bare wood as my playfield was quite dry. Make a world of difference.

The base/seal coat was very thin as suggested I believe and filled in the cracks and insert as expected. Leaving a rough but sealed surface.

I'll rough up the surface and start my painting.

What grit should I sand with, I read from 400 to 800 depending on who I ask to.

Before:
IMG_4677 (resized).JPGIMG_4677 (resized).JPG
IMG_4678 (resized).JPGIMG_4678 (resized).JPG
IMG_4455 (resized).JPGIMG_4455 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_4872 (resized).JPGIMG_4872 (resized).JPG
IMG_4873 (resized).JPGIMG_4873 (resized).JPG
IMG_4874 (resized).JPGIMG_4874 (resized).JPG
IMG_4876 (resized).JPGIMG_4876 (resized).JPG

#4010 7 years ago
Quoted from WhiskeyTango:

This looks great, Plumonium! I'd like to get some pointers as I'm planning on going down this same path.

You can check out my restoration thread and back up a few posts to get more info on my playfield process. I'm just doing was others have done really... aka ask Vid.

#4011 7 years ago

Hey Vid,

Naphtha seems not always available here in Canada. Any alternative? Is camping fuel the same? Like this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-naphtha-fuel-946-ml-0760093p.html

From Wiki: Coleman fuel is a mixture of cyclohexane, nonane, octane, heptane, and pentane.

#4013 7 years ago

Well it seems my base clearcoat did not adhere very well. While installing my first frisket mask and peeling it off I noticed some flaking on the edges. I wasn't sure if it was glue from the frisket or the frisket itself, perhaps the clearcoat.

I did a test under the apron area. Maybe I was too aggressive with the exacto knife but the clear should not lift that easily... Now I'm afraid painting over this the clear to see the base clear to starting to lift and ghost all over the place down the road.

?

IMG_4905 (resized).JPGIMG_4905 (resized).JPG

#4016 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Does it still smell, like it's not 100% cured?
Did you cut all the way through it with the razor?

It still smelled. I contacted my clearcoat guy and said he advised me not to sand or work the playfield for at least 2 weeks. I guess my bad.

I can understand the clear is still soft but will it adhere more as it cures? How long should someone wait for the playfield to cure?

I guess I did cut through even though I put very little pressure on the blade. I did not expect that.

#4018 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Depends on the hardener he used

Medium, that was 8 days ago.

It smelled if I put my nose right in it, smelled slightly more as I sanded.

I'll give it more time.

1 month later
#4121 7 years ago

Hey vid,

I recently had my playfield sealed with 2pac and started my paint touch ups. Once in a while, when I remove the frisket (even though low tack) it lifts the clearcoat from the edge where I cut the frisket (it scored the clear). Basically creating a ghosting effect. I'm now very careful when cutting the frisket but still it scores the clear.

A few places, I just use my xacto to remove/scratch the ghosted clear as it's not sticking to the playfield anymore but I wonder if when I clear again if the new clear will run underneath those and I'll be all good?

I fear the original seal coat will start lifting after I'm done. What do you think?

Like this example:

8aebe6f8a9fd4a87880785fce666da33ef5036d8 (resized).jpg8aebe6f8a9fd4a87880785fce666da33ef5036d8 (resized).jpg

#4123 7 years ago

I find sanding with green scotch-brite to give tooth between colors gives me satisfying result as my playfield is still not flat. How does it compare with actual sand paper?

#4137 7 years ago

Anyone knows if we can buy waterslide decal by the sheet?

#4140 7 years ago
Quoted from Plumonium:

Anyone knows if we can buy waterslide decal by the sheet?

A seller from eBay currently sells single sheet for $2.30. We'll see how it turns out... I should also check print shop as you suggested.

#4141 7 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I buy mine through this web site.
The list laser or ink jet and offer as few as 5 sheets. Usually very quick shipping within the states.
http://robinseggcetera.mybisi.com/products/inkjet-waterslide-decal-paper

Very good deal, shipping is a killer to Canada. Thanks for the lead.

1 month later
#4255 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is super sucky.
I've seen where an edge lifts in one spot from the paint being too thick, but never the entire playfield like that.
If you put a Xacto under one of those lifted parts, can you peel it away?

I had the same issue with my Createx White and Grey opaque touch-ups to a way less intense level though. Just slight wrinkling when seen from sideways.

Others colors did not do that at all. White and grey had the less time to dry before doing the clear.

1 month later
#4452 6 years ago

Hey Vid,

Can I apply water slide decal right over an airbrushed painted area, then final clear? Or I need to apply some clear over the painted area before doing the water slide decal?

Also, I understand that the first coat of clear over waterslide decals should be a light coat to avoid melting the decals. What about a light coat, wait 20 min and then do a first heavier coat of clear? Would that be enough time?

Thanks buddy.

1 week later
#4472 6 years ago

Can I clearcoat at any humidity level without problem if temp is OK?

I plan doing CC this week end in my shed but it will be raining and high humidity. I can install a deshumidifier to try to lower it.

#4476 6 years ago

Does finger oil repel clearcoat?

1 week later
#4498 6 years ago

Hey Vid,

I finished my paint touch-up and did my first 2 coats of clear (spraymax 2k in can). After the first coat, an issue appeared over the white and light grey touched-up areas, see after sanding:
IMG_5852 (resized).JPGIMG_5852 (resized).JPGIMG_5855 (resized).JPGIMG_5855 (resized).JPGIMG_5854 (resized).JPGIMG_5854 (resized).JPG

Happened mostly at the edges but I could see some wrinkling in the white and blue as well.

Even in this picture, the white was done months apart using a different paint (1st time createx, 2nd time spectra-tex) You can notice the different tone white.IMG_5853 (resized).JPGIMG_5853 (resized).JPG

I bit the bullet and repainted the grey, will redo all the white next. Now, in order to avoid this happening again, what when wrong?

Too much clear on the initial coat over paint? Too much/thick paint?

Thanks!IMG_5857 (resized).JPGIMG_5857 (resized).JPG

#4500 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did it happen instantly, or did it take 20 minutes?

It happened rather quickly I would say, by the time I went for my second coat (12-15 min flash time) it was there.

Is it possible that clear sipped underneath the paint and lifted/cracked it. Like if too thick of paint absorbed some clear and wrinkled?

Like if the clear melted the paint and then shrunk it. I don't know really.

Just trying real hard to avoid that again.

#4501 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Next time, make sure the 2nd coat is super thin, so it's **heat** does not upset the 1st layer.

Yeah. And instead of doing 2 coats with 1 can, will probably do 3-4 lighter coats. I'll only do heavier coats in the final shot (3rd and last can)

#4503 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Was there any acrylic lacquer used in between coats? Acrylic lacquer can adversely affect white

Yes there was. I sealed my touch-ups using it in-between coats.

I was suggested to use it.

#4505 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Dollars to donuts that's your issue. You'll probably need to sand down the wrinkled white, seal it with 2pac, repaint the white and clear again.

That is exactly what I'm doing now. Except I'm redoing light gray and probably blue/green/orange near the top of the chest as well...

Lessons learned. The hard way. Practice makes perfect... and feed-up.

#4507 6 years ago

As I'm redoing some of my touch-ups, I figured I should post a video of how I cut frisket mask with an xacto knife. I am no artist and a beginner really but I guess it shows with a little patience and steady hand anybody can do it.

Tips I may share:
-Hold the knife lightly, no need to press hard, be gentle.
-Use you other hand to steady your motion. Like I play guitar, I use my pinky to add some control to the movement and slide along the surface better.
-When doing rounds, I prefer to start with my wrist bent and unwind, not the inverse. Bend as much before getting unconformable, you can get a good stretch with the same stroke. Move your body as a whole.
-Change position to get best approach and best lighting. Do not get lazy standing in one place.

1 week later
#4523 6 years ago

I use Createx and an Iwata 5mm and even though I was suggested to shoot straight from the bottle (especially with 5mm at 40psi), I had more success thinning the paint to milk+ consistency with my special mix of water, 99% alcohol and flow improver.

#4529 6 years ago
Quoted from quinntopia:

Would you be willing to share your secret formula?

2/3 water (distilled), 1/3 Isopropyl alcohol (99%), a few drops of flow improver. That is for about a 100ml bottle

Some use some glycerin as well and some drying retarder. (few drops)

#4545 6 years ago

Hey Vid, after clearcoat, do you shave a layer of clear before driving your pop bumpers nails through or because they are bolted from the underside it is not really necessary? As long as they sit flat?

#4556 6 years ago

Hi Vid/All, what do you think of this playfield? Should I be worried about the insert wear? Should I stay away from this potential buy as there are way better IJ playfield out there? or not?

IMG_1489.JPGIMG_1489.JPG

#4557 6 years ago

Hey Vid, is it necessary to wet sand before polishing. I find wet sanding makes a mess and rather prefer dry sanding if I can. Will I acheive the same result or past a certain grit, dry sanding just won't work? Thanks!

#4569 6 years ago

Vid, is there any problem starting the final sanding (before polish) with 400 grit at some high spot area? Then move up 600-800-etc.

#4573 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nope, just be careful.
You have to get all those 400 scratches out with 600, before you take the 600 out with the 800......you get the idea

Gotcha. I filled some low spots with an eyedropper before doing my final wet coat and I feel I would get over those bumps quicker with coarser grit.

3 weeks later
#4622 6 years ago

Hey Vid, I got a new CPR in storage for my next project. I'm wondering if I should clear/varnish the backside to keep it clean and easier to clean in the future? What product do you recommend? Any type of varnish? Should I sand before to make it as smooth as possible?

Thanks!

#4654 6 years ago

Now you stripped the top side, I would bite the bullet and remove the Mylar and clearcoat the playfield. Even if it requires some touch ups, it will look amazing.

#4656 6 years ago

Thanks to this thread, Vid and others, I'm done with my playfield restoration. Would have been impossible without you. Thanks again!

Before:
IMG_4395 (resized).JPGIMG_4395 (resized).JPG
IMG_4459 (resized).JPGIMG_4459 (resized).JPG
IMG_4676 (resized).JPGIMG_4676 (resized).JPG
IMG_4464 (resized).JPGIMG_4464 (resized).JPG
IMG_4743 (resized).JPGIMG_4743 (resized).JPG
IMG_4461 (resized).JPGIMG_4461 (resized).JPG

After:
IMG_6201 (resized).JPGIMG_6201 (resized).JPG
IMG_6193 (resized).JPGIMG_6193 (resized).JPG
IMG_6199 (resized).JPGIMG_6199 (resized).JPG
IMG_6198 (resized).JPGIMG_6198 (resized).JPG
IMG_6210 (resized).JPGIMG_6210 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#4702 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Have there ever been any decent acrylic pens found that won't run under clear?

I used Liquitex Acrylic Professional Paint Marker with success and decent color match. Does not cover as well as spraying paint though (ex: around inserts, light might shine through) For playfield it's fine.

This guy but with a medium size tip:
https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-Professional-Paint-Marker-Carbon/dp/B00BSR916I/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2_m

1 month later
#4816 6 years ago

For you guys using the HP4600 scanner, does it run on windows 7 (drivers)?

#4854 6 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

My area of concern is the white/gray area near the rockets above Saturn.

It's not cleaning with naphta?

You can always wipe with a solution of bleach white to kill the mold. Perhaps?

1 week later
#4907 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Add 1/2 a drop of Navy and you are probably good.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious but redo the whole blue area, not just spot fix-it. Then even if color is off a little it will look good.

#4916 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

I think my shooter lane came out pretty good after blending in the putty:

Turned out great!

1 month later
#5214 6 years ago

Anyone here 2pac clearcoated modern Stern games?

#5218 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sure, my TronLE is clearcoated, looks like a mirror.

I'm getting an AC/DC pro with Aurich's Helen decal, I'm wondering how it would cope with 2 PAC clear.

2 months later
#5499 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Does anyone have scans of a PinBot playfield? I'm currently restoring one, and the outlane insert lettering has yellowed, as these were not covered with mylar. Also some worn art will be easier to restore with waterslides off a scan than trying to repaint.

Covered the same issue here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinbot-restoration-underway/page/3#post-3803668

Pm me, I can find the font I used for you.

1 month later
#5613 6 years ago
Quoted from tomds:

I’m going to be repainting and clearing the playfield so need it to be flat.

Not a huge deal imho.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 179.00
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Plumonium.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=Plumonium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.