Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider A_Bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7541 2 years ago

File this under learning opportunities: When cutting my frisket my exacto dulled and started digging into the playfield, leaving scars here and there. I've painted over them but didn't fill them in ahead of time. Do I trust that these won't be visible after clear or do I redo this, sanding these areas flatter between paint coats?

PXL_20210727_172052905 (resized).jpgPXL_20210727_172052905 (resized).jpg

PXL_20210727_172030969 (resized).jpgPXL_20210727_172030969 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#7603 2 years ago

Pre-clearing question: On this 1965 game my translucent red special inserts have what looks like bubbles on the surface. Is this something I need to try to sand down before clearing or is the clear going to help to hide these?

insert (resized).jpginsert (resized).jpg

1 month later
#7676 2 years ago

For those with a 3D printer, don't forget that you can print your own stencils for mask cutting. You can even print a long tail for clamping.
PXL_20210925_020443699.jpgPXL_20210925_020443699.jpg

4 months later
#7826 2 years ago

Is there a preferred hood people are using?

#7833 2 years ago

Yeah, just excellent. Thanks for sharing.

#7841 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Tearing down my F-14 for a hardtop install, but now I’m looking at it thinking maybe I should restore this PF instead. What do you guys think? I will be replacing all the arrow inserts.
[quoted image]

That looks very restorable. Hardtops are cool for a totally blown pf. I wouldn't sand down anything with that much paint still attached. If you mess up the restore then go HT.

#7851 2 years ago

Considering working out of order on a Cheetah since the inserts are out and I'm more or less repainting all the large areas. Winter here so it will be a while before I can spray.

PXL_20220210_203001199 (resized).jpgPXL_20220210_203001199 (resized).jpg

Thoughts on doing some painting before the lockdown clear? Playfield paint is stable despite how torn up everything is. Do I screw things up by not painting on a flat surface like the clear would give me? Any reason not to paint before inserts go back in?

Just thinking through how flexible I can be with order before introducing major headaches.

#7853 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Usually the frisket will pull off paint without the lockdown clear to hold it down
Also the bare wood will absorb more paint than the painted areas, so sometimes you get a weird effect
and of course I'd worry that the overspray would go down the insert holes, possibly making the inserts tough to re-install.
I do paint things out of order all the time, but this would not be one of them....

Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!

2 months later
#7909 2 years ago

After a successful airbrushing session I was met with a total mess - frisket left residue on every inch that it was laid down on.

Two questions:
Is there a preferred alternate to this stuff? This is my second roll that does this, put down and pulled off on the same day:
https://smile.amazon.com/Grafix-Self-Adhering-Removeable-Airbrushing-Watercolors/dp/B0027A5HHM

Is there a good way to get rid of all that residue? I've tried a variety of things but none of it great. Last time I used alcohol. I'm worried about damaging my new paint by scrubbing right up to it.

#7918 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

You paint the liquid frisket around all the detailed areas using Grafix Incredible Nib and wait for it to dry clear which takes maybe 20 minutes, and then mask off the larger areas of the playfield with paper so that you don't waste so much of the liquid frisket.

Do you try to paint it right up to the keyline or overpaint then cut with a blade like you would with a traditional frisket?

#7925 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Well, damn! There’s no arguing with those results!
I’d like to investigate that further…So, you’re applying a pretty small amount of the liquid frisket, just in the immediate area you need to mask? Not covering larger areas? I admit I’m having a little bit of trouble envisioning the process…
The results look spot on - nice work!

I'm going to give this a shot. Seems like it will cost a fortune in liquid frisket considering the amount of area I need to repaint.

#7929 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I do almost everything with Oracal 813, gerbermask, or green frog tape.
For cutting masks I use smallest possible piece of stencil material and then lay out scraps of rosin paper to cover around it.

No residue left behind with masking materials?

1 month later
#7980 1 year ago

You could always get another set of stickers, scan them and print them on decal paper.

1 week later
#7992 1 year ago

Any suggestions for the damaged wood areas here? The rest of the playfield is pretty good.

wood damage (resized).jpgwood damage (resized).jpg

3 months later
#8146 1 year ago

On a playfield with a lot of planking does it make sense to try to fill the cracks with a similarly toned paint before the lockdown clear so that the dark areas of wood don't necessitate a thicker layer of paint for coverage? Not trying to retouch before clear, just set up a better base once it is time to airbrush.

Untitled-2 (resized).jpgUntitled-2 (resized).jpg

#8148 1 year ago
Quoted from phototamer:

It would be near to impossible to get an exact match to fill the planking. I would seal everything with a first layer of clear , block sand to 400-600 grit to get an even flat surface and go from there. Since the area is large , airbrushing seems the logical way to proceed.

That's the plan. Maybe my question wasn't clear. I'm wondering if getting some lighter paint in the planking before the first clear application might make my life easier when going to airbrush.

#8150 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

That light green might not be very opaque. When the playfield was originally screened, underneath all the colours is a layer of opaque white ink. You may end up getting better coverage/fewer coats by first spraying white, then your colour. Worth testing on a scrap.

That's what I figured. As soon as I get close to yellow I start getting nervous. Yellow coverage sucks.

1 month later
#8200 1 year ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Wipe that area with Naptha and while it's still wet, you will see how it would look if you just applied the clear now.

This.

4 months later
#8359 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

I bought some Rapid Prep for cleaning the playfield before clearcoating. Does it have to be cleaned off with naphtha afterwards? My state banned naphtha. Wondering what the alternative is to clean it off, or does it evaporate on its own?

I follow the instruction on the Rapid Prep bottle. From memory it just says to wet the surface, wait a moment, then wipe it off with a clean rag. I'm 4 playfields in with this technique and no fisheyes. Don't put Rapid Prep over touch-ups, though. Takes new paint right off.

3 weeks later
#8377 1 year ago
Quoted from KalleColucci:

Hello everyone, does somebody have an idea what to do with THAT... its quite ruff.
Thought about touching up with epoxy and a brush, let is soak and aply additional layers. Sand afterward and polish.
Tanks in advance for any advise
[quoted image][quoted image]

It looks like maybe you haven't done this yet: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/3#post-640071

Start there and then assess next steps.

6 months later
#8554 6 months ago

Better to have it come up now and not after the final coat. Clean, scuff, spray. You might consider putting your masking material elsewhere on the pf to pull up any other loose areas before progressing.

I had this happen once. Likely insufficient scuffing during surface prep.

#8556 6 months ago

You're probably ok. As insurance you could wipe those areas with rapid prep.

https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Cleaner-Graphics-Decals-Gallon/dp/B006RUH9I8

2 weeks later
#8610 5 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Cleaning was done with standard kitchen paper towels.

I don't really think this is your problem, but it is worth mentioning that most kitchen paper towels are treated with a chemical to aid absorption that leaves behind a residue. If you've ever tried to clean a piece of glass streak-free with one you've seen the effects of that chemical. There are paper towels specifically labeled for glass that do not contain this.

3 weeks later
#8628 4 months ago

Dry sand everything as flat possible without hitting paint. You might even consider using a razor to shave down those chunks if they are very proud.

Quoted from Mjt311:

Hoping to get some advice stat. For one reason or another when I shot my second coat of 2PAC, “chunks” of clear were shot onto the field, additionally, parts of the field have a matte finish from a dry spray effect. Needless to say I am going to repair and shoot another coat. My question is should I dry sand the field, or wet sand? If so which grit would you start with and stop with? I am not even 24 hours post spray and will be sanding tonight in the 24-48 hour window. Thanks for any info someone can give me.

1 month later
#8686 3 months ago
Quoted from Spunky1562:

Thanks for all the help so far! I had an insert ghost while buffing. I chipped and cut out the clear as shown.
How thick should the clear coat be? My factory coat plus new coat is .8 mm thick.
I’m going to sand the insert with 360grit, fill it with clear and then sand the whole playfield down with 600 and reclear it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I aim for as thin as possible without risking cutting through to paint. Typically a first clear application for leveling and a good base for touchups, then a final application over the paint work. Another coat in between if necessary to lock down paint.

#8688 3 months ago
Quoted from Spunky1562:

I’ve got three separate full coats (three light coats each as per Omni instructions) over several months with paint touch ups in between. I wasn’t sure if I was going way too thick or thin, so it sounds like I can sand a bit off and put one final coat (fingers crossed) after this insert repaint.

That sounds right. I don't see a benefit to thick coats until the final. You want your paint touch ups as close to the playfield surface as possible. It's just tricky getting things flat without going heavy.

4 weeks later
#8718 74 days ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I have a NOS Egg Head playfield that a previous owner cleared with automotive clear coat.
However the grid of inserts are somewhat sunken -- think I have to reclear and try to level them off.
Is the technique to eyedropper in clear then spray the playfield right after? On a previous playfield I dripped clear but let it dry and it was a bugger to make it blend.
I guess I should ensure the inserts are also not going to move any more by adding some superglue?

Reinforce the inserts with epoxy from behind. Put it on a toothpick and do the perimeter where the plastic meets wood.

I found it best to drip in clear after you spray. If you drip first the blast of spray can displace the clear you pooled up. It also make it easier to see your low spots when you have a layer of wet clear down.

Post some pics of that Egg Head. Sounds awesome!

3 weeks later
#8742 48 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

I was filing a star rollover to remove excess clear and couple of pieces of clear popped off. What is the best way to fix this?
[quoted image]

I have fixed this with a drop of CA glue wicked beneath the lifted clear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 179.00
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider A_Bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=A_Bord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.