Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 176.
#3151 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Again, Vid stumps me. What's 2PAC? (And save the inevitable jokes, please. )

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here's a photo, but not sure how he can help at this point.

Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here's another 2PAC.

Which part of my parenthetical request didn't you understand? I should give you a 2SMAC.

Thanks for the info.

#3152 7 years ago

Hi Vid,
I really need your help. I have matched my colors so they are spot on. Last day I reduced two of the colors with Createx performance reducer and painted.
But to my surprise both colors turned out more yellow then they should! I have tested with Naptha and I took a drop from the bottle that was reduced and the none reduced to test again after I painted and that still looked good.
What has happen when I painted with the airbrush? I am only using opaque colors..
I asked my airbrush dealer and he said it could not be the reducer and he had no explanation.

#3153 7 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Hi Vid,
I really need your help. I have matched my colors so they are spot on. Last day I reduced two of the colors with Createx performance reducer and painted.
But to my surprise both colors turned out more yellow then they should! I have tested with Naptha and I took a drop from the bottle that was reduced and the none reduced to test again after I painted and that still looked good.
What has happen when I painted with the airbrush? I am only using opaque colors..
I asked my airbrush dealer and he said it could not be the reducer and he had no explanation.

Let's see a picture, I'm not sure I understand what happened exactly from the description.

#3154 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Let's see a picture, I'm not sure I understand what happened exactly from the description.

The background is painted, I dont know if you can tell but it is yellowish.
The two colors on top of the painted surface is the same paint/mix as the surface. One reduced and one without reducer (They look the same). As you can tell the surface color is very different compared to how it should look (two drops).
How can the color transform this much when going thru a airbrush? (I am using the one you recommend that is cheap)

Billede_12-05-2016_10.27.00_(resized).jpgBillede_12-05-2016_10.27.00_(resized).jpg

#3155 7 years ago

It looks like something got mixed into the paint, because you can see small bubbles like it outgassed somehow.

Try never to do spot repairs, because once you clear over them, or once they fade, they look like spot repairs.

Easy fix:

Sand the area with 600 grit.

Frisket off the ENTIRE field of color.

Repaint the entire area all at once.

Re-clear.

#3156 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It looks like something got mixed into the paint, because you can see small bubbles like it outgassed somehow.
Try never to do spot repairs, because once you clear over them, or once they fade, they look like spot repairs.
Easy fix:
Sand the area with 600 grit.
Frisket off the ENTIRE field of color.
Repaint the entire area all at once.
Re-clear.

Sorry vid I apparently suck at explaining and I will try to explain once again.
So the grey color under the two samples is painted and cleared. The two samples on top is just some quick drops I made with a brush with the exact same paint and added naphtha over it to compare and show how the color should look. I will wipe them off and paint everything again as soon as the mystery is solved.
Does it make any sense now?

2_(resized).jpg2_(resized).jpg

#3157 7 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Sorry vid I apparently suck at explaining and I will try to explain once again.
So the grey color under the two samples is painted and cleared. The two samples on top is just some quick drops I made with a brush with the exact same paint and added naphtha over it to compare and show how the color should look. I will wipe them off and paint everything again as soon as the mystery is solved.
Does it make any sense now?

Yes, that makes sense.

So the two drops are the same paint that you painted under the clear? Same batch?

#3158 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, that makes sense.
So the two drops are the same paint that you painted under the clear? Same batch?

Yes 100% same bottle with mixed paint. Only thing I can think off is that something changed in the airbrush process or that it was not shaken/mixed enough when I painted the first time. But I shake for very long and have a added glass marble in the bottle.

#3159 7 years ago

The paint may have oxidized, or was left in sunlight somehow....?

#3160 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The paint may have oxidized, or was left in sunlight somehow....?

I dried the paint in sun but not for very long and after the paint was dry to the touch. Could that do it ?

#3161 7 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

I dried the paint in sun but not for very long and after the paint was dry to the touch. Could that do it ?

Hard to say, too many variables.

#3162 7 years ago

I'm retheming a well worn playfield with a vinyl overlay, as long as the inserts aren't cupped, is it best to leave them in while sanding off the original silk screen? My think is it might keep the inserts level. There's a chance I'll silkscreen directly onto the bare playfield instead of vinyl, so taking it to bare wood.

(Realize this is restoration, so warrants clarification, its a Jokerz which isn't popular or rare, and not salvageable, I bought it as a spare to my current machine because I couldn't even consider destroying my near perfect playfield. )

#3163 7 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

I'm retheming a well worn playfield with a vinyl overlay, as long as the inserts aren't cupped, is it best to leave them in while sanding off the original silk screen?

I try to leave them in place so there is minimal risk of cracking them.

Old inserts are thin and brittle.

Even if they are cupped, it might be best to leave them if they are solidly glued in.

#3164 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I try to leave them in place so there is minimal risk of cracking them.

Old inserts are thin and brittle.

Even if they are cupped, it might be best to leave them if they are solidly glued in.

Thanks Vid, appreciate it.

#3165 7 years ago

Vid, what about all the "nastiness" that sometimes creeps in between the inserts and the play field? Theres usually white gunk which I assume is glue + old wax of some sort, but it leaves an unsightly white ring. Most of the Firepower decals will have a black outline which would hide this, but is there anything else to be done about that crud?

#3166 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Vid, what about all the "nastiness" that sometimes creeps in between the inserts and the play field? Theres usually white gunk which I assume is glue + old wax of some sort, but it leaves an unsightly white ring. Most of the Firepower decals will have a black outline which would hide this, but is there anything else to be done about that crud?

Yeah, it's old wax.

I use a soft toothbrush and some Naphtha to scrub it out.

Then I repaint the black and level out the crevice with clear.

#3167 7 years ago

I looked through the clearing sections, but didn't see what is best for use to mask off what you don't want cleared. I saw ear plugs for lamp holes... how about how to mask of single drop target holes? I'm clearing EBD with the drop targets in place. Just use masking tape? Easiest way to protect the hole between the target and the edge of the hole itself?

Thanks.

#3168 7 years ago

Printing water slide decal question. I think most of the posts here relate to black only. Are there setbacks to printing other colors and/or large areas on water slides and using them? other than the cost of printer ink? Haven't done much of this, but it seems with the photoshop editor you could repair a large portion of worn playfield with water slides, rather than painting.

Thoughts?

#3169 7 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

I'm clearing EBD with the drop targets in place.

Take the 4 screws out of the bottom of the drop mechs, and pull them back.

Then use some blue tape on the bottom of the playfield.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/20#post-1788297

#3170 7 years ago

Are there setbacks to printing other colors and/or large areas on water slides and using them?

It takes a color laser printer that you can calibrate the color on.

Ink jets fade too fast.

Frisket and airbrush is probably faster, but it depends on many factors.

#3171 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It takes a color laser printer that you can calibrate the color on.
Ink jets fade too fast.
Frisket and airbrush is probably faster, but it depends on many factors.

BTW, laser printing is my business and the other thing you should be aware of is that no 4 color CMYK process laser system will generate certain colors. The color gamut for these devices is limited, and while some will do better than others, bright colors are extremely difficult to hit (e.g. bright oranges, greens, etc.) If you ever doubt this, take a look at a Pantone Color Bridge. I would use the Coated bridge, where you will see the solid ink (press) color on the left and the processed color (C,M,Y,K) on the right. While many of the colors are similar, there are certain color shades that are completely different (e.g. bright oranges are turned to burnt orange).

While a six color inject has a broader spectrum of colors it can produce, you are faced with fading issues if you use lower quality inks without UV resistance. Bottom line is that there is no substitute for pigment (i.e. paint) when producing certain colors. If you are happy with close in most cases or willing to accept the color variations that a pantone CMYK produces from the solid ink color, then by all means go for it. However, you will need a Pantone certified device (e.g. production color laser system with a Fiery front end or comparable) to ensure your colors are accurate to the pantone standard and consistent across your artwork. Also, don't forget the 5th color - your paper. You want to use a bright white paper, and possibly with a coated finish (albeit, coated papers do not always produce the effect you might think they would).

Finally, if you are going to use a print-for-pay to produce your artwork, I would have them calibrate their equipment first. Any professional shop should have the necessary equipment to do this, but often times they wait too long between color calibrations. While the images may still look good to the eye, their accuracy to the standard may be off. If this is the case, then next time you go to have the same thing printed on the same machine, the colors may look different. One more thing, not all color equipment produces color exactly the same. Stick with printing all of your artwork on the same output engine or at least on the same model of equipment.

#3172 7 years ago

Putting wiring harness back down, what is a good staple gun for the GI sockets? Those hard to get to spots are TIGHT for my staple gun... suggestions?

#3173 7 years ago

Putting wiring harness back down, what is a good staple gun for the GI sockets? Those hard to get to spots are TIGHT for my staple gun... suggestions?

ebay.com link: Unicatch USC71 16L US2238AL Long Nose Upholstery Stapler 22 Gauge 3 8 Crown

81hv2CUPtjL._SX522__(resized).jpg81hv2CUPtjL._SX522__(resized).jpg

#3174 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

ebay.com link » Unicatch Usc71 16l Us2238al Long Nose Upholstery Stapler 22 Gauge 3 8 Crown

Vid
what staples to get?

#3175 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Vid
what staples to get?

Long nose upholstery stapler uses 22 gauge 3/8" crown staples.

Like these: Senco C, BeA 71, Fasco 7C, Spotnails 71

#3177 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

These okay or are there cheaper?
amazon.com link »

Never have tried them.

#3178 7 years ago

Would you ever spot clear with an air brush? And if so, would you thin the clear, and if so, with what would you thin it?

#3179 7 years ago

What's a good way to clean the black dust that's under the playfield? It's on the coils, wires & wood? Thanks

#3180 7 years ago

Bump...

#3181 7 years ago
Quoted from mack505:

Would you ever spot clear with an air brush? And if so, would you thin the clear, and if so, with what would you thin it?

Yes, there will be times when you would spot-clear with an airbrush (like fixing someone's melted decal fnckup).

The 2PAC clear comes "ready to spray" right out of the can, so no thinning necessary.

#3182 7 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

What's a good way to clean the black dust that's under the playfield? It's on the coils, wires & wood? Thanks

Take the playfield OUTSIDE and spray it with your air compressor.

Do not blow all that lead dust into your garage or basement! Do not blow all that lead dust into your garden!

Grab any loose inserts ahead of time, or they will go flying into the grass.

If you are going to be restoring the playfield, then put the whole harness in the dishwasher and run the pots and pan cycle.

Coils and everything (just no relays or the like).

You can loosely zip tie and cut the original ties if you need the deepest cleaning.

Be sure you clean out the little trap at the bottom of the washer afterwards. If your wife finds a few little screws in there, she will know something is up.....

d0da59749a81e2005906f5fdd2728ee3772f359f_(resized).jpgd0da59749a81e2005906f5fdd2728ee3772f359f_(resized).jpg

#3183 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Take the playfield OUTSIDE and spray it with your air compressor.
Do not blow all that lead dust into your garage or basement! Do not blow all that lead dust into your garden!
Grab any loose inserts ahead of time, or they will go flying into the grass.
If you are going to be restoring the playfield, then put the whole harness in the dishwasher and run the pots and pan cycle.
Coils and everything (just no relays or the like).
You can loosely zip tie and cut the original ties if you need the deepest cleaning.
Be sure you clean out the little trap at the bottom of the washer afterwards. If your wife finds a few little screws in there, she will know something is up.....

Do you run with Dishwasher soap or just water?

#3184 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Do you run with Dishwasher soap or just water?

Run with dishwasher detergent, pots & pans cycle. Comes out hot, dry and great to work with.

#3185 7 years ago

Vid - Please guide me before I do something I regret. I just brought home this WMS Indiana Jones and it has some marks near both slings. Not sure what you would classify them as - but Novus 1/2/3 really didn't do any work on them.

I've seen similar "wear" on EMs that were pictured in this thread and some people decided to use magic erasers on them with good results. From what I understand, this takes away the clear (and paint) if you are aggressive with it. The only prep work that I would be able to do after my cleaning would be waxing (clear is out of the question right now).

What should I try to do? More elbow grease with Novus 2/3? Magic Eraser? Leave it alone (painful to do but if it's the right thing ... I'll point my ADD to something else), etc

Sorry for the potato iPhone pictures

INDY_1_(resized).jpgINDY_1_(resized).jpg

INDY_2_(resized).jpgINDY_2_(resized).jpg

INDY_3_(resized).jpgINDY_3_(resized).jpg

INDY_4_(resized).jpgINDY_4_(resized).jpg

#3186 7 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I just brought home this WMS Indiana Jones and it has some marks near both slings. Not sure what you would classify them as - but Novus 1/2/3 really didn't do any work on them.

Pretty normal "ball swirl" marks there.

Usually there is a piece of Mylar in front of each sling that keeps that from happening; but someone must have removed the protection from your game before you took ownership.

You probably won't be able to remove the cracks completely, so don't expect 100%.

Try a Magic Eraser with Iso alcohol. Scrub a little circle. If you don't see instant improvement - stop.

Wax the playfield, put in fresh balls 2x a year, and install some new Mylar protectors:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=304

slingshot_mylar_(resized).jpgslingshot_mylar_(resized).jpg

#3187 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Pretty normal "ball swirl" marks there.
Usually there is a piece of Mylar in front of each sling that keeps that from happening; but someone must have removed the protection from your game before you took ownership.
You probably won't be able to remove the cracks completely, so don't expect 100%.
Try a Magic Eraser with Iso alcohol. Scrub a little circle. If you don't see instant improvement - stop.
Wax the playfield, put in fresh balls 2x a year, and install some new Mylar protectors:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=304

Thanks for the tip! Will do as advised. There were two brand new sling mylar pieces in the cabinet - Either they were removed or never installed. I appreciate it Vid!

#3188 7 years ago

Vid, what's your recommended sanding block and sand papers that fit the block for between clear coats?

I live in Alaska, pretty much everything I need I shop online as getting anything local is next to impossible and time/fuel consuming.

Thanks again in advance.

About to clear my first playfield! Boom!

#3189 7 years ago

I buy the 50 or 100 sheet packs of 9x11" sandpaper, generally the Norton brand, but 3M is great too.

So with the sanding block on my wet/dry air sander, I can get 3 strips from a single sheet.

On my electric palm sander, I get 4 pads from a single sheet.

On my hand block (it's a drywall sander block), I can get 2 strips from a sheet - with a strip left over for detail work.

=

I usually avoid any sanders that require me to buy special hook-n-loop sandpaper, odd shape "brand locked" sandpaper, peel and stick sandpaper, or other oddities that I won't be able to find at midnight on a Sunday.

19897_4208_(resized).jpg19897_4208_(resized).jpg

41rqbvrexrL._SY300__(resized).jpg41rqbvrexrL._SY300__(resized).jpg

613C9Pl4sEL._SL1000__(resized).jpg613C9Pl4sEL._SL1000__(resized).jpg

#3190 7 years ago

Those paper organizers from the office make a perfect sandpaper storage system.

No guessing if you are running low on a grade.

Cut pieces and odd cut-offs all in one place.

509618_p_(resized).jpg509618_p_(resized).jpg

#3191 7 years ago

Does anyone have experience or opinion on using sanding sponges for precision sanding jobs, such as a epoxy-and-bondo filled hole where you want to sand down without risking surrounding paint? Would a sponge give you more flexibility to target a particular spot while providing more consistency than using a finger w/ sandpaper?

#3192 7 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Does anyone have experience or opinion on using sanding sponges for precision sanding jobs, such as a epoxy-and-bondo filled hole where you want to sand down without risking surrounding paint? Would a sponge give you more flexibility to target a particular spot while providing more consistency than using a finger w/ sandpaper?

Sanding sponges are more for odd shaped pieces, because the soft sponge allows it to conform to the shape.

Playfields are generally flat, except the shooterlane.

Except for sanding the lip around a saucer, I don't do too much finger sanding. Like a sponge, your finger will follow irregular curves rather than flattening/feathering the work.

Mask off areas you don't want sanded with Blue Painter's Tape.

Small scraps of wood padded with an old rag, make for good detail sanding pads.

#3193 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sanding sponges are more for odd shaped pieces, because the soft sponge allows it to conform to the shape.
Playfields are generally flat, except the shooterlane.
Except for sanding the lip around a saucer, I don't do too much finger sanding. Like a sponge, your finger will follow irregular curves rather than flattening/feathering the work.
Mask off areas you don't want sanded with Blue Painter's Tape.
Small scraps of wood padded with an old rag, make for good detail sanding pads.

Makes sense. I'm trying to avoid tape on an early SS playfield, and I don't have the ability to clear (was going to cover touchup with mylar). So I thought a sponge might be better than finger, at least. The answer is probably leave it alone, I guess.

#3194 7 years ago

If your playfield is too fragile even for blue tape, then cut a sanding mask from a sheet of polyester from a report cover.

36650_(resized).JPG36650_(resized).JPG

#3195 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If your playfield is too fragile even for blue tape, then cut a sanding mask from a sheet of polyester from a report cover.

ah ha! good plan, I believe that would be handy when I just want to fill some inserts but not clear the entire playfield. Was trying to think of what to use like the old metal eraser shields from my drafting days.. like with pencil and paper you young punks.. get off my lawn!

#3196 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those paper organizers from the office make a perfect sandpaper storage system.

Tips like this one is why this guy rocks!

#3197 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Possibly the most important tip in this whole thread?

#3198 7 years ago

To preface, I've read this entire thread. So far pretty much all of the info has been in regards to a complete restoration where the playfield is removed and depopulated and the whole thing will be clear coated.

My question is, can some of these techniques be used on a fully intact and working machine? I have some photos below of the worst areas on my TZ playfield. The macro lens makes these defects look like the grand canyon, but during normal play most of them go unnoticed. To the naked eye the rest of the playfield is in very good shape. These are the main areas I'm concerned with.

So, right now I have no plans on removing the playfield and clearing the entire thing because the game works perfectly and plays great. Do I attempt some restoration so the areas don't get any worse, or do I just leave them alone?

P.S. A huge "thank you" to all the contributors of this thread especially Vid! Even if I don't go forward with any action, the thread has been a great learning tool.

Camera_1_(resized).JPGCamera_1_(resized).JPG
Door_Camera_1_(resized).JPGDoor_Camera_1_(resized).JPG
Camera_2_(resized).JPGCamera_2_(resized).JPG
The_Power_2_(resized).JPGThe_Power_2_(resized).JPG
Door_Camera_2_(resized).JPGDoor_Camera_2_(resized).JPG
The_Power_1_(resized).JPGThe_Power_1_(resized).JPG

#3199 7 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

So, right now I have no plans on removing the playfield and clearing the entire thing because the game works perfectly and plays great. Do I attempt some restoration so the areas don't get any worse, or do I just leave them alone?

That's called "insert wear".

You can scrub the wax out of the cracks with a soft toothbrush and Naphtha.

Then use a detail brush and opaque black paint to fill the cracks (leave the lamps in test mode so you can see any cracks you missed).

Top off the black painted cracks with some 2PAC to protect it.

#3200 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's called "insert wear".
You can scrub the wax out of the cracks with a soft toothbrush and Naphtha.
Then use a detail brush and opaque black paint to fill the cracks (leave the lamps in test mode so you can see any cracks you missed).
Top off the black painted cracks with some 2PAC to protect it.

You're saying spot clearing with 2PAC? Seems there's always a chorus against spot clearing.

With 2PAC you're looking at masking, booth, respirator, airbrush?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 176.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/64?hl=no_skill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.