Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 176.
#7851 2 years ago

Considering working out of order on a Cheetah since the inserts are out and I'm more or less repainting all the large areas. Winter here so it will be a while before I can spray.

PXL_20220210_203001199 (resized).jpgPXL_20220210_203001199 (resized).jpg

Thoughts on doing some painting before the lockdown clear? Playfield paint is stable despite how torn up everything is. Do I screw things up by not painting on a flat surface like the clear would give me? Any reason not to paint before inserts go back in?

Just thinking through how flexible I can be with order before introducing major headaches.

#7852 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Thoughts on doing some painting before the lockdown clear? Playfield paint is stable despite how torn up everything is. Do I screw things up by not painting on a flat surface like the clear would give me? Any reason not to paint before inserts go back in?

Usually the frisket will pull off paint without the lockdown clear to hold it down

Also the bare wood will absorb more paint than the painted areas, so sometimes you get a weird effect

and of course I'd worry that the overspray would go down the insert holes, possibly making the inserts tough to re-install.

I do paint things out of order all the time, but this would not be one of them....

#7853 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Usually the frisket will pull off paint without the lockdown clear to hold it down
Also the bare wood will absorb more paint than the painted areas, so sometimes you get a weird effect
and of course I'd worry that the overspray would go down the insert holes, possibly making the inserts tough to re-install.
I do paint things out of order all the time, but this would not be one of them....

Exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#7854 2 years ago

Any suggestions on how to touch up Bksor insert decal? Will be getting professionally clearcoated. Random airball did this damage and I just wanted to see if there was any way to touch it up before I handed it over. Thank you in advance for your time and help!

7839D8C7-B06F-46CD-B6C4-0B9DB8261E07 (resized).jpeg7839D8C7-B06F-46CD-B6C4-0B9DB8261E07 (resized).jpegF02F5C4C-4648-422C-9240-2E4B8C6BD6D2 (resized).jpegF02F5C4C-4648-422C-9240-2E4B8C6BD6D2 (resized).jpeg
#7855 2 years ago
Quoted from Mtlchik:

Any suggestions on how to touch up Bksor insert decal? Will be getting professionally clearcoated. Random airball did this damage and I just wanted to see if there was any way to touch it up before I handed it over. Thank you in advance for your time and help!
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks like a good restore candidate, because you didn't wait too long to repair it

You can use a #0000 brush or even a round toothpick with the tip mashed a little. Use a magnifying desk lamp, as this is detailed work.

1. Clean out the chips with Naphtha

2. Dilute some Createx White with a little ammonia so it is not too opaque. Put a tiny drop of diluted white anywhere on the insert, and light it up from below with a flashlight. Once you get the opacity correct, touch up the white chips.

3 Use some Createx Black, and touch up all the black chips. No need to dilute, just put it on.

4. Cant tell if the playfield itself is chipped, but touch up as above if it is.

5. Send it out for clear coating. Make sure the shop uses 2PAC clear, and not any polyurethane or water based clears.

6. Wax the cleared playfield with Paste Wax, before you repopulate it.

#7856 2 years ago

vid1900 here are the images. Sorry for the repeat, I can’t find the first images in the thread to tag you! An airball rocked my playfield around the Bksor hurry insert. I already had it set up to be professionally clearcoated. Are there any recommendations on how to best touch this up prior? Thank you in advance for your time! It seems to be most of the damage is sitting in the black lines. There is some damage at the top of the insert. I’m trying to decide if that is just a scuff or if somethings actually cracked In the clear coat, it doesn’t seem to go past that.

819093BE-57A4-475E-8628-1E20BD42F9C5 (resized).jpeg819093BE-57A4-475E-8628-1E20BD42F9C5 (resized).jpegFEF87D5A-D9CD-4F89-A009-C4FDBDF57391 (resized).jpegFEF87D5A-D9CD-4F89-A009-C4FDBDF57391 (resized).jpeg
#7857 2 years ago
Quoted from Mtlchik:

vid1900 here are the images. Sorry for the repeat, I can’t find the first images in the thread to tag you! An airball rocked my playfield around the Bksor hurry insert. I already had it set up to be professionally clearcoated. Are there any recommendations on how to best touch this up prior? Thank you in advance for your time! It seems to be most of the damage is sitting in the black lines. There is some damage at the top of the insert. I’m trying to decide if that is just a scuff or if somethings actually cracked In the clear coat, it doesn’t seem to go past that.

If you were to reclear this pf, do you have to sand it first or just use adhesion promoter?
The clear on sterns is so thin I am afraid to go through the art in no time.

What grit do you start with?

#7858 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

If you were to reclear this pf, do you have to sand it first or just use adhesion promoter?
The clear on sterns is so thin I am afraid to go through the art in no time.
What grit do you start with?

I'd try to sand it, to give some mechanical tooth.

I'm not sanding on clearcoat this thin with an air powered sander, of course, I'm doing it by hand with a small block.

(think **deglossing** rather than sanding)

If it looks fragile, then maybe start with 600 and see if the sandpaper is picking up any color (that's how you know you've sanded through the clear)

In the white areas under the plastics, you could use 400 or 320. Because if you start to cut through in a hidden area, no one will ever see it. No law says you have to use the same grit over the entire surface when you are creating tooth.

Even with careful sanding, I'd still light up each insert from below and make sure the black keylines are 100%. Then touch up any that had their edges worn/sanded through.

Shooter lane might take some serious sanding to get all the black out, but I usually finish up with 220 because it needs more tooth than any other part of the playfield. Same with saucers & chutes, and of course don't leave any sharp edges that will chip, ease them over

#7859 2 years ago
Quoted from Mtlchik:

There is some damage at the top of the insert. I’m trying to decide if that is just a scuff or if somethings actually cracked In the clear coat, it doesn’t seem to go past that.

It looks like a chip in the clear from here.

Clean it out with Naphtha, then you can put some fine scratches in the plastic with an Xacto knife so the new clear will have some tooth.

Your original pics did come through, they are in post #7854 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/158#post-6799515

And my repair advice is the reply directly under your post

#7860 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Clean it out with Naphtha, then you can put some fine scratches in the plastic with an Xacto knife so the new clear will have some tooth.
Your original pics did come through, they are in post #7854 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/158#post-6799515

That chip looks like a straight line, actually a very deep scratch rather than a chip. Have you inspected the pinballs? I suspect one of them has a deep groove in them.

#7861 2 years ago

I’m putting my C37 playfield back together after a professional clear coat job.

I ground off the barbs of the ball guides as recommended in this thread. I just put the bang back guides in with a little candle wax on them to help them go in easier, as I have been doing with the screws. Those didn’t have barbs on to begin with.

Now for the rest of them. Vid, you said to put a little white glue on them (to hold them in since there are no longer any barbs.) On a single ball EM like this, will they pop out over time if I don’t? My concern at the moment is to get them in without damaging the playfield. So I kind of want to put wax on them too.

White glue for sure?? I guess wet glue would act as a lubricant too.

DBB53D80-6978-4675-920E-55124B8127BF (resized).jpegDBB53D80-6978-4675-920E-55124B8127BF (resized).jpeg
#7862 2 years ago

If I was using glue, and I wouldn't unless they were loose, I would scruff up the part of the ball guide that goes into the wood with a scotch-brite pad to give the glue something to bite into. I would use some blue tape so I didn't get any glue where it doesn't belong.

#7863 2 years ago
Quoted from Ace24:

Now for the rest of them. Vid, you said to put a little white glue on them (to hold them in since there are no longer any barbs.) On a single ball EM like this, will they pop out over time if I don’t? My concern at the moment is to get them in without damaging the playfield. So I kind of want to put wax on them too.

White glue is all the lube you need

If the holes are too tight, slightly drill out the top of the holes

You don't want to crack the clear by pounding against it's edge

This might be some good reading:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-re-populating-playfields#post-4526688

#7864 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That looks like a good restore candidate, because you didn't wait too long to repair it
You can use a #0000 brush or even a round toothpick with the tip mashed a little. Use a magnifying desk lamp, as this is detailed work.
2. Dilute some Createx White with a little ammonia so it is not too opaque. Put a tiny drop of diluted white anywhere on the insert, and light it up from below with a flashlight. Once you get the opacity correct, touch up the white chips.
3 Use some Createx Black, and touch up all the black chips. No need to dilute, just put it on.
4. Cant tell if the playfield itself is chipped, but touch up as above if it is.
5. Send it out for clear coating. Make sure the shop uses 2PAC clear, and not any polyurethane or water based clears.

Is there any problem with using urethane clear coat?

#7865 2 years ago
Quoted from Returner:

Use two part automotive acrylic urethane

#7866 2 years ago
Quoted from Returner:

You can absolutely try it, but it may lift off the surface and chip on the edges.

It will have to be sanded thin and then buffed.

Its very difficult to get automotive clear coat to bond properly on a spot repair.

But if the repair is deep enough it might hold.

#7867 2 years ago

Update on Lightning playfield restorations:
Pinsider Dono had asked about potential for issues resulting from stacked decals.
I have used that technique repeatedly in the past with no problems. Machines I restored 3 and 4 years ago still look fine, so issues.

But for whatever reason, my top insert decal rings separated from the lower ones.

I didn’t have the heart/was too mortified to photograph the issue, though for sharing and education, I wish that I had. Basically, the clear looked just fine, not ghosted at all, but there were air bubbles underneath the key line rings.

At first I thought I would inject clear under them. But that quickly started to look like it was going to make a mess and take forever.

So, I though the problem through again.
I want a black and yellow key line decal which has a true black to match the surrounding screen printing inks, and I don’t want any white edge from the decal background.
The solution should have been obvious from the start. Print the key lines slightly heavier than I want them, then tell the vinyl cutter to cut 1/64” *inside* the lines. No white edge.

Armed with this realization, I set about the unenviable job of sanding out all my previous work.

I sanded down through all the decals, including the base decal, which had held very firmly to the surface. I switched from 500 grit on the random orbit to using the “spent” paper and hitting the remnants of the decals by hand, rather than risk burning all the way through the clear. For good measure, I then shot a fresh layer of clear over this, sanded that at 1000 grit on the random orbit, and prepared my new decals.

I recently invested in an Epson medium format photographic ink jet printer. These inks are rated for 100 years against fading. It’s the only way I have seen to get a really solid black in one layer. It also is much easier to get a good color match using the full range of photo inks than the limited CMYK toners used in laser printing. So, the new decals were printed using inkjet.

Inkjet has some built in fragility compared to laser. Laser toners heat fuse to the surface, so your decals are actually pretty robust. Fold one over accidentally and there’s a good chance you can still use it.
Ink jet is much less robust. After printing, you have to give it at least an hour to dry completely before handling. Once dry, it must then be sprayed with a fixative. I use rattle can clear coat, as recommended by the waterslide decal manufacturer. Then the clear needs to fully cure. This all takes time and is way the hell less convenient than firing up the laser printer and just going to work. But: really good black and really nicely saturated colors. I’m sure I’ll end up using both printers in the future, depending on the application.

Anyhow - it worked. When you apply inkjet water slides, the fixative makes them a bit stiffer than what I’m used to, but it’s advantageous as they really slide off the backer pretty nicely, with less tendency to wrinkle. I have found, however, that if they *do* wrinkle, you’re likely to lose ink. It’ll just flake off. So prep multiples of anything you are going to need, in case you wipe out.
Also, it seems that Decal Set solution tends to want to lift the ink as well. But given that the decals lay flatter in the first place, I found that I didn’t need Decal Set anyway. Get the decal in position, and then just lightly dab it dry, with a patting motion rather than pulling the paper towel across the surface. They’re delicate.

There is just the tiniest ghost of a white edge where the decals were cut out, but it’s really not noticeable unless I’m right up on it. I’m calling it a win.

My question now is: this playfield has more layers of clear on it than I would prefer. I had wanted the decals to be deeper down in the finish, but now they are under only one coat. Part of me says scuff this out and shoot another layer, but that’s adding yet more clear to a surface which already has more than enough. Another part of me says level sand and buff it out. I’m a bit concerned about sanding through, though that’s probably uncalled for? Versus a level/scuff sand and final layer which puts the decals under a heavier layer. Advice on how to get to the finish line here?
F2538D98-BBB8-4759-9F91-B63F00C9783A (resized).jpegF2538D98-BBB8-4759-9F91-B63F00C9783A (resized).jpegB60CF4BF-C016-42EC-B6FD-C060DB183B38 (resized).jpegB60CF4BF-C016-42EC-B6FD-C060DB183B38 (resized).jpeg

#7868 2 years ago

If it was mine I would shoot 2 more layer and call it a day... after that, if it fails, well it fails but I would not be worrying about the thin layer of clear,

but what do I know! I am going by gut feeling here!

Spectacular work regardless. cheers.

#7869 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Update on Lightning playfield restorations:
Pinsider Dono had asked about potential for issues resulting from stacked decals.
I have used that technique repeatedly in the past with no problems. Machines I restored 3 and 4 years ago still look fine, so issues.
But for whatever reason, my top insert decal rings separated from the lower ones.
I didn’t have the heart/was too mortified to photograph the issue, though for sharing and education, I wish that I had. Basically, the clear looked just fine, not ghosted at all, but there were air bubbles underneath the key line rings.
At first I thought I would inject clear under them. But that quickly started to look like it was going to make a mess and take forever.
So, I though the problem through again.
I want a black and yellow key line decal which has a true black to match the surrounding screen printing inks, and I don’t want any white edge from the decal background.
The solution should have been obvious from the start. Print the key lines slightly heavier than I want them, then tell the vinyl cutter to cut 1/64” *inside* the lines. No white edge.
Armed with this realization, I set about the unenviable job of sanding out all my previous work.
I sanded down through all the decals, including the base decal, which had held very firmly to the surface. I switched from 500 grit on the random orbit to using the “spent” paper and hitting the remnants of the decals by hand, rather than risk burning all the way through the clear. For good measure, I then shot a fresh layer of clear over this, sanded that at 1000 grit on the random orbit, and prepared my new decals.
I recently invested in an Epson medium format photographic ink jet printer. These inks are rated for 100 years against fading. It’s the only way I have seen to get a really solid black in one layer. It also is much easier to get a good color match using the full range of photo inks than the limited CMYK toners used in laser printing. So, the new decals were printed using inkjet.
Inkjet has some built in fragility compared to laser. Laser toners heat fuse to the surface, so your decals are actually pretty robust. Fold one over accidentally and there’s a good chance you can still use it.
Ink jet is much less robust. After printing, you have to give it at least an hour to dry completely before handling. Once dry, it must then be sprayed with a fixative. I use rattle can clear coat, as recommended by the waterslide decal manufacturer. Then the clear needs to fully cure. This all takes time and is way the hell less convenient than firing up the laser printer and just going to work. But: really good black and really nicely saturated colors. I’m sure I’ll end up using both printers in the future, depending on the application.
Anyhow - it worked. When you apply inkjet water slides, the fixative makes them a bit stiffer than what I’m used to, but it’s advantageous as they really slide off the backer pretty nicely, with less tendency to wrinkle. I have found, however, that if they *do* wrinkle, you’re likely to lose ink. It’ll just flake off. So prep multiples of anything you are going to need, in case you wipe out.
Also, it seems that Decal Set solution tends to want to lift the ink as well. But given that the decals lay flatter in the first place, I found that I didn’t need Decal Set anyway. Get the decal in position, and then just lightly dab it dry, with a patting motion rather than pulling the paper towel across the surface. They’re delicate.
There is just the tiniest ghost of a white edge where the decals were cut out, but it’s really not noticeable unless I’m right up on it. I’m calling it a win.
My question now is: this playfield has more layers of clear on it than I would prefer. I had wanted the decals to be deeper down in the finish, but now they are under only one coat. Part of me says scuff this out and shoot another layer, but that’s adding yet more clear to a surface which already has more than enough. Another part of me says level sand and buff it out. I’m a bit concerned about sanding through, though that’s probably uncalled for? Versus a level/scuff sand and final layer which puts the decals under a heavier layer. Advice on how to get to the finish line here?

I would wait 2 weeks for the die back. I almost always have to add 2 coats plus fills to get it mirror flat again.
Then wait 10 weeks for more die back. If i address it at 2 weeks, I seldom have to reclear at 10 weeks.

Thicker clear gives you a bit more die back.

#7870 2 years ago

Unless it's a really thick coat, I'd not want only a single coat of protection over a decal.

I'd let it shrink for month or so in a warm room. You could wait a few months if you have the time

Thick clear will noticeably dieback

Shoot the extra clear, and if you worry it's too thick for the mechs, then feather it out with a 8" block sand away from the decal work

#7871 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.
I was hoping not to have to wait around on this damn thing any longer, but I think I knew that was now inevitable. I've been juggling projects all winter due to various supply chain setbacks and the like. Guess I'll still be doing that for a while longer! But it seems wise to be prudent and patient. No sense hitting the marks all the way through only to blow the landing.

I'm not worried about the clear being *that* thick, just trying to be mindful how much is ending up on there. I've had to use 5 to 6 coats more than once on demanding restorations, but I like to level sand in between.

Heavy sigh. Will update down the road once this is actually completely finished.

#7872 2 years ago

I just got a LOTR with the below issue. It seems like the plywood veneer lifted and cracked. I initially thought about glueing it back down but it doesn’t seem to move, I haven’t put much pressure on it. I doubt the previous owner attempted to fix this prior.

What would the best course of action be? My main concern is it getting worse. My thought for now is clean it up with naphtha, wax it and put some Mylar over it, but I’d like to hear some more experienced opinions before I do anything. Thanks

C4CF1DCA-2E41-4E3E-90E8-17A3BA616AD9 (resized).jpegC4CF1DCA-2E41-4E3E-90E8-17A3BA616AD9 (resized).jpeg
#7873 2 years ago

Wax then mylar is the easiest, but clear coating it would be the safest solution

Keep an eye on it

#7874 2 years ago

I'm about to tackle my first water slide repair on IJ. I have a pf scan from another pinsider. An op put screws through the top of the pf to hold the stripped flipper plates below. 2 questions-

1. What should I use to fill the holes that won't be visible through the decals -

2. For the discolored wear area by the slingshot (2nd pic, to the right of "Marion"), can I just make a water slide that color and cover it up rather than trying to match that paint and airbrush it?

I've only tried airbrushing once. There's another screw thru the pf halfway under the apron in the same yellow color area. It seems like trying to get a perfect match for that would be next to impossible, and if I can just fill the hole and put a color-matched water slide on it, bingo -
20220306_082427 (resized).jpg20220306_082427 (resized).jpg20220306_082450 (resized).jpg20220306_082450 (resized).jpg

#7875 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

1. What should I use to fill the holes that won't be visible through the decals -

There is an art to doing such a difficult repair

You may want to wax and then mylar over the damage for now, until you get more experience.

I'd plug the holes with a BBQ skewer and some wood glue. Top off the repair with a cyanoacrylate glue, then shave it flush with the surface.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

2. For the discolored wear area by the slingshot (2nd pic, to the right of "Marion"), can I just make a water slide that color and cover it up rather than trying to match that paint and airbrush it?

Print a water slide and see how accurate the color is.

You usually have to put some white primer down, or the decal might appear too dark. Test it before you get too far.

It would be quicker to paint it

Quoted from pinzrfun:

I've only tried airbrushing once. There's another screw thru the pf halfway under the apron in the same yellow color area. It seems like trying to get a perfect match for that would be next to impossible, and if I can just fill the hole and put a color-matched water slide on it, bingo -

Practice matching the color, I bet you (or even more likely, your wife) can do it:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/2#post-629442

#7876 2 years ago

Thanks Vid, I have some super glue, I'll plug those holes and give that a shot for now. I've only played the game a few times because I'm concerned about those screw heads damaging a ball and then really ripping up the pf. Maybe I'll drag it up to a paint shop and see if they can match it.

I've learned a ton from your various threads, in fact that's what prompted me to get an airbrush and Createx paints...and a long nose air stapler, and a center punch kit, and....damn, you've cost me a lot of money! Lol

Seriously, you've made restoring and repairing games a lot less intimidating with your tutorials. Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us.

#7877 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is an art to doing such a difficult repair
You may want to wax and then mylar over the damage for now, until you get more experience.
I'd plug the holes with a BBQ skewer and some wood glue. Top off the repair with a cyanoacrylate glue, then shave it flush with the surface.

You surprised me there. I would have drilled a clean hole and put in a hardwood dowel. Is that overkill or would that not work?

#7878 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

You surprised me there. I would have drilled a clean hole and put in a hardwood dowel. Is that overkill or would that not work?

It would work

But I thought a skewer would be closer to the size of those holes, because each pack has a variety of diameters

#7879 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I would have drilled a clean hole and put in a hardwood dowel.

That would be my path as well.
Hardwood is key; a dowel is end grain, so it doesn’t grab wood screw threads as well as face grain.
This is especially important when the screws are going to have to hold the weight of a coil bracket, and deal with the stress of all that flipper action. I like European beech for this kind of thing. It’s not available in dowels as far as I know; I band saw some small square strips of it, then plan3 down rge corners, and chuck it in the drill press, which works as a quick and dirty turning lathe. Take some 120 grit sand paper and run it up and down the dowel while the press is running at moderate speed. You can dial in the diameter you need very efficiently that way. I’ve only ever had to do one repair that went all the way through the playfield (I’ve more frequently made little tapered wood plugs.)
A fine finish pull saw will trim the dowel flush on both sides, sometimes perfectly. A *sharp* chisel finishes the job if the saw didn’t cut it exactly flush.
Always, always, always pre-drill before driving a screw into such a repair!!

#7880 2 years ago

BBQ skewers are either Beech or Bamboo

The thicker ones are Beech (city chicken), the really hard ones are Bamboo

Beech is 1400 Janka hardness, Bamboo is 4000

Quickly resize any dowel by tapping it through a hole you drill in a metal plate or rusted pinball leg.

Need a 1/8" diameter dowel? Drill a 1/8" hole in your workbench leg, tap oversized dowel through hole.

The sharp edges of the hole shave dowel down instantly.

They sell a "dowel making plate" for $2, but obviously you can drill a hole for free, lol
dowel52_ct-dowel-plate (resized).jpgdowel52_ct-dowel-plate (resized).jpg

#7881 2 years ago

That would be my path as well.
Hardwood is key; a dowel is end grain, so it doesn’t grab wood screw threads as well as face grain.
This is especially important when the screws are going to have to hold the weight of a coil bracket, and deal with the stress of all that flipper action. I like European beech for this kind of thing. It’s not available in dowels as far as I know; I band saw some small square strips of it, then plan3 down rge corners, and chuck it in the drill press, which works as a quick and dirty turning lathe. Take some 120 grit sand paper and run it up and down the dowel while the press is running at moderate speed. You can dial in the diameter you need very efficiently that way. I’ve only ever had to do one repair that went all the way through the playfield (I’ve more frequently made little tapered wood plugs.)
A fine finish pull saw will trim the dowel flush on both sides, sometimes perfectly. A *sharp* chisel finishes the job if the saw didn’t cut it exactly flush.
Always, always, always pre-drill before driving a screw into such a repair!!

Have you tried making plywood dowels?
Sandwich a few layers of ply, then turning it to the size you want.
You will basically end up with the same material as the original pf and in the same orientation, face grain.
I have used dowels for repairs before and they hold very well, but these repairs dont like the screw coming on/off often in my experience for the reasons you stated.

#7882 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

BBQ skewers are either Beech or Bamboo
The thicker ones are Beech (city chicken), the really hard ones are Bamboo
Quickly resize any dowel by tapping it through a hole you drill in a metal plate or rusted pinball leg.
Need a 1/8" diameter dowel? Drill a 1/8" hole in your workbench leg, tap oversized dowel through hole.
The sharp edges of the hold shave dowel down instantly.
They sell a "dowel making plate" for $2, but obviously you can drill a hole for free, lol[quoted image]

Aww man, Ive never heard of this, I think I'm going to just buy a plate. Where did you find one for $2?

#7883 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Aww man, Ive never heard of this, I think I'm going to just buy a plate. Where did you find one for $2?

Alibaba

But don't buy one, just drill the hole you need into anything metal like a scrap of angle iron

You can tap it through a thick washer, or lock plate or...
Screenshot 2022-03-07 at 12-44-17 Poor man’s dowel maker - Paul Sellers' Blog (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-03-07 at 12-44-17 Poor man’s dowel maker - Paul Sellers' Blog (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-03-07 at 12-44-47 Poor man’s dowel maker - Paul Sellers' Blog (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-03-07 at 12-44-47 Poor man’s dowel maker - Paul Sellers' Blog (resized).png

In the field, you can put your home made dowel into your cordless drill, and sand for a fine fit.

#7884 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

...They sell a "dowel making plate" for $2, but obviously you can drill a hole for free, lol
[quoted image]

I have a set of Grizzly deep plug cutters. Perfect for this. And there are lots of cheaper sets out there.

///Rich

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 12.56.05 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-03-08 at 12.56.05 AM (resized).png
#7885 2 years ago
Quoted from RichWolfson:

I have a set of Grizzly deep plug cutters. Perfect for this. And there are lots of cheaper sets out there.
///Rich

You guys have gone crazy now!

There are no holes in playfield repair that require monster plug cutters

7/64, 1/8, maybe 3/16” (just a few mm) are the stripped out holes we encounter.

#7886 2 years ago

Full disclosure, my shop is a sometime cabinet shop, so things like thin strips of hardwood are lying around to start with.
The dowels at my local hardware stores are softwood junk. It’s just too simple to whip up my own using stuff that’s already sitting there.

I stand by the practice of sanding down a dowel using a drill press; with a torn out wood screw, the hole isn't dowel-shaped, it’s a taper, and you can put a taper on a dowel that you sand this way. (I try to ream out the hole some as well, to get good glue adhesion on a cleaner surface.)
Repairing torn out wood screws is the worst, and the highest stakes over time, so I really try to get those repairs done just exactly right. Titebond sets up in 30 minutes but I let these repairs cure over night just to be safe.

A couple years ago I had to plug a spinner hole that was in the wrong spot. I had to fill the hole and then cut away part of whatever repair I did because the factory hole wasn’t off by a full diameter, if that makes sense.The existing hole wasn’t an exact increment; it was, whatever, somewhere between 3/8” and 7/16”. Maybe that neato dowel shaver tool would have helped me out, but using the drill press I was able to take a larger dowel and shave it down until it was exactly just tight enough to fit with a generous application of glue. Then I was able to cut a new hole which partially removed my dowel repair, and it worked very well. Painted and cleared nobody would ever know it was there.
(In this case I used one of the cruddy softwood dowels off the rack at the hardware store, since it wasn’t going to get a wood screw and didn’t need to hold up to any stress.)

#7887 2 years ago

I had to fill the hole and then cut away part of whatever repair I did because the factory hole wasn’t off by a full diameter, if that makes sense.The existing hole wasn’t an exact increment; it was, whatever, somewhere between 3/8” and 7/16”.

Holy crap!!!!

I think the largest hole I ever had to plug was 1/4", on a Bally SBM where the post in front of the loop was loose for decades and had chewed out a rough circle

Drilled it out and plugged it with a Birch fluted dowel slice

Base of post covered the plug

#7888 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Surprised me too, I was thinking fill the hole w JB Weld or something that hardens.

#7889 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You guys have gone crazy now!
There are no holes in playfield repair that require monster plug cutters
7/64, 1/8, maybe 3/16” (just a few mm) are the stripped out holes we encounter.

Ouch!

///Me

#7890 2 years ago

LOL

We could use the 1" plug cutter to cut some plastic to make new inserts!

#7891 2 years ago

Finally picked up one of these... $200 on ebay. Just need to buy a full hood for it after I find the cheapest compatible one.

Screenshot_152.pngScreenshot_152.png

#7892 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Quoted from vid1900:

@vid

Quoted from vid1900:

vid1900 thank you! I got everything and I look forward to working on it this weekend. I have one more question. Once the touchup is done, and has had proper time to cure, would it be OK to play at all? It’s going to be several weeks before I switch games out for clear coating, he has one finishing up now, and wanted to get the repair done as soon as possible. I just didn’t know if minimal play would be OK with proper work done, or if it should just sit. Thank you for everything, I appreciate you and your time

1 week later
#7893 2 years ago

First pinball restore and first post in this forum - be gentle

I picked up an RFM from someone who purchased it in a container buy. Based on some of the corrosion and other signs, it must have spent its life in a seaside arcade in Italy. Overall it is in decent shape but the playfield has significant chips. As replacement playfields are unobtainium, looking to do my best to restore this one.

Some of the non-chipped inserts seem to be uneven with the playfield - slightly sunken or risen to the point where I can feel the edge when I run my fingers over it.

What is my best course of action and how do I get started? Thanks!

20220317_150127 (resized).jpg20220317_150127 (resized).jpg20220317_150134 (resized).jpg20220317_150134 (resized).jpg20220317_150145 (resized).jpg20220317_150145 (resized).jpg20220317_150158 (resized).jpg20220317_150158 (resized).jpg20220317_150207 (resized).jpg20220317_150207 (resized).jpg
#7894 2 years ago

Vid will surely have good advice for you and I’m sure he will get on here to make recommendations.
For my part, I think you’ll do well with full color white waterslide decals for some of the graphic areas which have halftones. It will be helpful (but not essential) if you have access to a vinyl cutter which can cut the outlines of the decals. The lettering such as Mothership Multiball can be created that way (and the vinyl cutter probably is indispensable toward that purpose.)

Sounds like the inserts have raised; I would probably remove them and either replace with new or clean them up and re-glue them. That would be my first step, after a thorough cleaning. Clean, insert work, clear coat, then assess where you want to do airbrush vs. decals.

You can do it! Take your time, there are some really knowledgeable people on here who will definitely help.

#7895 2 years ago
Quoted from Mtlchik:

@vid

vid1900 thank you! I got everything and I look forward to working on it this weekend. I have one more question. Once the touchup is done, and has had proper time to cure, would it be OK to play at all? It’s going to be several weeks before I switch games out for clear coating, he has one finishing up now, and wanted to get the repair done as soon as possible. I just didn’t know if minimal play would be OK with proper work done, or if it should just sit. Thank you for everything, I appreciate you and your time

Just let it sit.

The Createx paint is not very durable

#7896 2 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

First pinball restore and first post in this forum - be gentle
I picked up an RFM from someone who purchased it in a container buy. Based on some of the corrosion and other signs, it must have spent its life in a seaside arcade in Italy. Overall it is in decent shape but the playfield has significant chips. As replacement playfields are unobtainium, looking to do my best to restore this one.
Some of the non-chipped inserts seem to be uneven with the playfield - slightly sunken or risen to the point where I can feel the edge when I run my fingers over it.
What is my best course of action and how do I get started? Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Stabilize the inserts (read the first few pages of this guide), then do the "ghosting" repairs, then you can drip 2PAC to level the chips, then paint and decal

It does not look all that bad, really

#7897 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stabilize the inserts (read the first few pages of this guide), then do the "ghosting" repairs, then you can drip 2PAC to level the chips, then paint and decal
It does not look all that bad, really

Thanks. By stabilize do you mean remove and re-glue as outlined in the first few pages of posts? I'm comfortable doing that and following the steps as outlined, but I'm unsure how to fix the playfield art afterwards.

Am I using "full color white waterslide decals" over entire areas - such as the chipped inserts and the area around it? Or do I need to just touch up the parts that are currently chipped? I have less confidence in my ability to do that. I would love to clearcoat the entire playfield once repaired.

#7898 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wax then mylar is the easiest, but clear coating it would be the safest solution
Keep an eye on it

When applying clear to small area, do spray it like you would if you were doing the whole playfield or is there a different application technique

#7899 2 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

When applying clear to small area, do spray it like you would if you were doing the whole playfield or is there a different application technique

I drip it into chips and cracks.

I spray the whole playfield when I'm done with the repair

#7900 2 years ago
Quoted from justyn:

Thanks. By stabilize do you mean remove and re-glue as outlined in the first few pages of posts?

yes

Quoted from justyn:

Am I using "full color white waterslide decals" over entire areas - such as the chipped inserts and the area around it? Or do I need to just touch up the parts that are currently chipped? I have less confidence in my ability to do that.

I usually just touch up chips by hand.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.00
$ 179.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 176.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/158 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.