Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 149 of 176.
#7401 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

1) If so, should the playfield get a thin coat of 2PAC before trying to apply the water slide decal?
2) Should I use a thicker water slide decal? I went with the thinnest I could find based on something I read in this thread, but think I may have gone too thin.
3) If I do the above, I should probably use some Decal Set when applying the decal.

We can see that the grey paint is too rough for the decal to stick properly

Spray a little clear, trim the decal as close to the lettering as possible, use decal set - once you do it, you will find it's super easy

#7402 2 years ago

These forum posts have been super helpful to me.

I have an old Williams sys6 playfield, where the inserts are otherwise fine but they are all severely cupped. There is plenty of paint fix-up work to do also.

When it comes filling the cups with clear coat, is this something that is best to address first before anything else, or wait until all playfield paint fixes are done (before final clear coat)? What do the experienced folk say - does the order really matter?

#7403 2 years ago
Quoted from vinyldude:

These forum posts have been super helpful to me.
I have an old Williams sys6 playfield, where the inserts are otherwise fine but they are all severely cupped. There is plenty of paint fix-up work to do also.
When it comes filling the cups with clear coat, is this something that is best to address first before anything else, or wait until all playfield paint fixes are done (before final clear coat)? What do the experienced folk say - does the order really matter?

Make sure the inserts are not proud of the playfield surface.

Prep for outgassing: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/18#post-1739707

Touch up the black Keyline around the insert (use a flashlight from behind to check your work)

Fill that mother up.

#7404 2 years ago

Hi, I'm restoring my TZ. On the playfiled I have a light wear on the inlane rollover cutout where the ball drops from the ramp. I think that Bondo is just too brittle and won't hold up. Wood epoxy putty could be the solution but I'm worried that it won't stick to such a small surface. What is the best method to repair this kind of wear? Thank you

Screenshot_20210525-083430 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210525-083430 (resized).jpg
#7405 2 years ago
Quoted from Piso:

Hi, I'm restoring my TZ. On the playfiled I have a light wear on the inlane rollover cutout where the ball drops from the ramp. I think that Bondo is just too brittle and won't hold up. Wood epoxy putty could be the solution but I'm worried that it won't stick to such a small surface. What is the best method to repair this kind of wear? Thank you
[quoted image]

That wood epoxy putty, then put a cliffy over it.

Be my guess.

#7406 2 years ago

If it was mine, I would touch it up with some black and wood colored acrylic paint, then level it by putting some tape all around the inside of the cutout wall and adding a bit of 2PAC in an eye dropper. If you are going to put a cliffy you might not even need to level it.

1 week later
#7407 2 years ago

Adding to the mix. A work in progress:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/frugal-playfield-restoration-subject-matter-flash-gordon#post-6315785

IMG_20210602_100608046 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100608046 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100611538 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100611538 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100849632 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100849632 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100854750 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100854750 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100900156 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_100900156 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_110404573 (resized).jpgIMG_20210602_110404573 (resized).jpg
#7408 2 years ago

I'm getting ready to do a touch-up on my Diner. The paint is worn through to the wood underneath the cup/right ramp area - a patch, mostly (formerly) orange, about 3x3" or so. I bought a set of Liquitex acrylic primaries paint (with black and white); I'll mix the color onto a piece of clear plastic and match it under full light before brushing it on. I'm not trying to make this a collector's quality pin - I just want to keep the wear from getting worse.

Before I start painting, I'm guessing (sorry, tl:dr) I should vac off that area really well and possibly do some very light sanding around the edge of the patch before painting. Once it's painted up, I'll mask off the surroundings and hit it with a few metered shots of triple thick... (I wanted to use triple thick because I need to seal a backglass too) I'd like to put mylar over it after all's said and done as the wear is a result of the area being hard to reach without major disassembly.

Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks.

#7409 2 years ago

Don't use Triple Thick on the playfield - it's too thick to flow into the surrounding areas well (edges will likely chip over time). While not as durable as 2-part auto clear, a few light coats of a clear spray lacquer works well to seal and protect touch-ups, and lacquer can be polished and buffed to blend it into the surrounding areas.

#7410 2 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

Don't use Triple Thick on the playfield - it's too thick to flow into the surrounding areas well (edges will likely chip over time). While not as durable as 2-part auto clear, a few light coats of a clear spray lacquer works well to seal and protect touch-ups, and lacquer can be polished and buffed to blend it into the surrounding areas.

Thank you for pointing this out. Does the rest of my process seem okay?

#7411 2 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

I’m doing touch up on my Quick Draw, what clear spray lacquer would you recommend?

#7412 2 years ago

I would encourage anyone just catching this topic here, please start from the beginning.
I've followed VIDs advise and had excellent results.

As far as the clear coat discussion, I'll save you the time:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/16#post-1667109
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/16#post-1668988

And if you don't want to invest in the equipment, this alternative seems good for some:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-spraymax-2k-auto-clear-in-a-can-club

#7413 2 years ago
Quoted from zhu808:

Thank you for pointing this out. Does the rest of my process seem okay?

I'd paint a white base first. Orange doesn't have the best covering power, and that is how they were originally screen printed.

#7414 2 years ago

This is one of the best threads on pinside. IMO. Just saying...

#7415 2 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

I'd paint a white base first. Orange doesn't have the best covering power, and that is how they were originally screen printed.

Oh right, I remember seeing the bare p.f. Thanks - good call.

#7416 2 years ago
Quoted from Piso:

[quoted image]

I don't think anything is going to stick on such a small patch, ball dropping constantly on it will not be good.

I'd clean up any stray fibers, and just paint it

1 week later
#7417 2 years ago

Vid, please forgive me if I have sinned. I have been slowly working on my PinBot which I have owned for about 20 years now. Before that it was in a game room at Fort Dix NJ. The playfield is ok and it plays wonderfully but I am slowly upgrading and fixing. I bought a FreePlay40 ramp, red and blue clear, some Cliffy's and a new vortex in red as I replaced the broken on with black one a few years ago.

When I put the Cliffy's on the out holes I clearly saw they were worn but being lazy at the moment, I put the Cliffy's on and assembled it back. As soon as I did that I realized I should have repaired the outholes first. A picture is attached but the question is whether I should use JB KwikWood or fiberglass? I can easily get whatever under the Cliffy as I don't want to try to remove them as they will undoubtably bend trying to get them off.

I am all ears and I promise not to cut corners in the future. And thanks in advance for your continued wisdom!

///Rich

PS-If anyone with a PinBot is on the fence over whether to get an opaque or clear ramp for PinBot, the clear one is perfect!
PSS-That worn spot in front of the outhole is the worst spot on the playfield. Again it's not perfect but no one who plays it ever comments and my grandchildren come into the house before I get my hugs, asking if PinBot Circuits are Activated!

OutHole (resized).pngOutHole (resized).png
#7418 2 years ago

The cliffy is fine for now.

No shame in using them, they work great.

Personally, I wouldn't bother repairing the damaged wood unless I was going to restore the entire playfield

I'd have to see a picture without the cliffy in place.

#7419 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The cliffy is fine for now.
No shame in using them, they work great.
Personally, I wouldn't bother repairing the damaged wood unless I was going to restore the entire playfield
I'd have to see a picture without the cliffy in place.

Thanks Vid. I was afraid that the Cliffy would be beat up on the edge it was unsupported. I may just put a bit of KwikWood under there and call it a day. And as for restoring the playfield there was a NOS one on eBay this week. Then it would have to be cleared before all the work would start. Nope not for me. The PINBOT works perfectly and looks ok. And I am slowly replacing all the connectors and mechs. Using your guides of course.

Thanks for all you do for us noobs!

///Rich

#7420 2 years ago

Vid, I want to clear coat the playfield from a Road Show I picked up. I noticed that it has paint bubbled up in spots. A lot of the spots will be covered by ramps, but some won't. I tried sanding it very lightly in a place where it wouldn't show. Anything more than the lightest sanding removed the bubble. The ones that didn't pop turned lighter. What would you recommend I do to prepare the surface for clearing without making a bunch of paint spots where I may not be able to match paint? My original plan was to sand the surface with 800 grit to help the clear bond to the surface of the playfield. I appreciate your advice. Thanks!

rs ubble (resized).jpgrs ubble (resized).jpg
#7421 2 years ago

I'd remove the bubbles, then repaint, then clear

You can't clear over the loose paint, as the tension of the clear may pull off larger sections months later

#7422 2 years ago

On Removing Mylar For A System 11 (gonna cross post a little)

What are my chances here? You can see some areas that have lifted, and some insert separation, but also what is super concerning is the weird "waving" and bubbling of the mylar above the right sling. If definitely interferes with the ball travel. I'm prepared to do some solid color fills, repair the damage down to the wood, and 2PAC.
PXL_20210613_165110089 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165110089 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165118408 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165118408 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165130796 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165130796 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165143877 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165143877 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165245885 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165245885 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165305979 (resized).jpgPXL_20210613_165305979 (resized).jpg

#7423 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

What are my chances here? You can see some areas that have lifted, and some insert separation, but also what is super concerning is the weird "waving" and bubbling of the mylar above the right sling.

Excellent pics!

Williams sys9-11 are generally the worst quality playfields ever made (well, at least until those euro printed playfields came along), so chances for disaster are high.

Start at the top, away from the player; in case it starts going south.

Occasionally you get lucky.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-hardtop-restoration-comet

#7424 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

What are my chances here?

I’ve pulled Mylar off an F-14 Tomcat, a Rollergames, and a PinBot, each time with only minimal paint loss. I used the heat gun and plastic razor blade method and went slow. I always clean the playfield thoroughly and then do scans of everything before I start in on the Mylar , so that if any portion gets damaged I have a 1-to-1 record of the art from before the Mylar was removed (and any paint that came with it).

#7425 2 years ago

Well, I pulled using freeze spray. It's a real good news bad news situation.

The good news - freeze method gave me this:

PXL_20210614_162205296 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_162205296 (resized).jpg

No real paint loss and only a couple decals!

Bad news - the wavy damage may be on the playfield itself:

PXL_20210614_162228218 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_162228218 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210614_163826040 (resized).jpgPXL_20210614_163826040 (resized).jpg

So the top layer of the playfield is actually wavy?

#7426 2 years ago

I'd assume thats just the residual glue left behind. now the fun part begins when you have to clean up all the old glue.

#7427 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

I'd assume thats just the residual glue left behind. now the fun part begins when you have to clean up all the old glue.

I really *really* hope so. I'll keep everyone posted.

Just so everyone knows, it was upside down compressed air, 2 cans, mostly sprayed on top of the mylar, with some sprayed between the mylar and the playfield when a boost was needed. Did much better than my Firepower and Pinbot pulls. Those were going to be Hardtops anyway, so no huge loss. Just wanted the practice on those.

My hands are covered in bittering agent.

Edit: Yeah it was the glue all waved up. Me dumb.

#7428 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

Edit: Yeah it was the glue all waved up. Me dumb.

Ayup. Time to make with the alcohol and flour!

#7429 2 years ago

always had great result in removing residual glue with "label off- solvent 50"
Seems a lot easier than messing around with alcohol and flour...

#7430 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

always had great result in removing residual glue with "label off- solvent 50"
Seems a lot easier than messing around with alcohol and flour...

Im using rapid-tac adhesive remover, its the best.

Fast and easy.

The car decal guys use it for sun baked mylar.

Works in seconds, non-toxic.

#7431 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im using rapid-tac adhesive remover, its the best.
Fast and easy.
The car decal guys use it for sun baked mylar.
Works in seconds, non-toxic.

It'd work good on a system 11? Without damage?

#7432 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

It'd work good on a system 11? Without damage?

This is for glue removal, NOT mylar removal.
Its really good stuff.

Use the freeze spray method for mylar removal.

NEVER pull the mylar, gently click it off with only the pressure of flexing the mylar or gentle pressure from a plastic razor blade.

IT WILL release if the temperature is right.

Small gentle spritz of freeze now snd again during the removal yields the best temperature control.

The icing up is your guide.

You are simply separating the mylar from its glue.

You are NOT RIPPING IT OFF.

DO NOT pull the mylar as seen in some stupid videos.

It takes little or no pressure to remove mylar if you do it right.

Rrmoving the glue is a huge hassle unless you use rapid-tac adhesive remover.

Then its a 5 min job.

#7433 2 years ago

Quick Question. I have sanded these kick out holes with 150 and then 220 grit and cant seem to get the ground in dirt out. I have no issue going to a lower grit, but am curious to see what others are doing to remove these. I also do not want to enlarge the saucers if I go down to low a grit.
Mike

InkedPXL_20210616_005250680_LI (resized).jpgInkedPXL_20210616_005250680_LI (resized).jpg
#7434 2 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Quick Question. I have sanded these kick out holes with 150 and then 220 grit and cant seem to get the ground in dirt out. I have no issue going to a lower grit, but am curious to see what others are doing to remove these. I also do not want to enlarge the saucers if I go down to low a grit.
Mike
[quoted image]

Its tough. You have to draw it out.

Magic eraser. Silly putty, RTV sealant, various bleaching compounds etc. Tons of things have been tried.

Its a crap shoot.

Pro's just paint them with wood color base, then clear over it.

#7435 2 years ago

Magic eraser. Silly putty, RTV sealant, various bleaching compounds etc. Tons of things have been tried.
Its a crap shoot.

I am not a pro, but I have painted some in the past. Don't like the look. Almost looks a little plastic like. I also tried wood stain, but sometimes you have to go dark in order to hide the dirt and then that throws off the look as well. Maybe better to leave it as it is.
Open for any other suggestions.
Mike

#7436 2 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

I am not a pro, but I have painted some in the past. Don't like the look. Almost looks a little plastic like. I also tried wood stain, but sometimes you have to go dark in order to hide the dirt and then that throws off the look as well. Maybe better to leave it as it is.
Open for any other suggestions.
Mike

I painted the saucer in my Mata Hari black and then cleared it before putting down a hardtop. Hides the ground in saucer dirt and IMO makes the playfield look more sinister.

LEDs (resized).JPGLEDs (resized).JPG
#7437 2 years ago

This is for glue removal, NOT mylar removal.
Its really good stuff.
Use the freeze spray method for mylar removal.
NEVER pull the mylar, gently click it off with only the pressure of flexing the mylar or gentle pressure from a plastic razor blade.
IT WILL release if the temperature is right.
Small gentle spritz of freeze now snd again during the removal yields the best temperature control.
The icing up is your guide.
You are simply separating the mylar from its glue.
You are NOT RIPPING IT OFF.
DO NOT pull the mylar as seen in some stupid videos.
It takes little or no pressure to remove mylar if you do it right.
Rrmoving the glue is a huge hassle unless you use rapid-tac adhesive remover.
Then its a 5 min job.

I already got the mylar off if you look a little above in the thread. I was specifically asking if it was safe for glue removal on fragile System 11s. Honestly the flour and alcohol is not cutting it at all. Nor is goo gone. Or just alcohol. Or naphtha. I can clear about one square inch in 30 minutes with flour and alcohol.

#7438 2 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

I already got the mylar off if you look a little above in the thread. I was specifically asking if it was safe for glue removal on fragile System 11s. Honestly the flour and alcohol is not cutting it at all. Nor is goo gone. Or just alcohol. Or naphtha. I can clear about one square inch in 30 minutes with flour and alcohol.

I tried all those ideas and was not impressed at all.

I would definitely try it on any playfield. If in doubt start with a small area first and go from there. Its a kind of citrus oil compound. Its not a solvent.

My sign/car/vinyl guy turned me on to the rapid-tac adhesive remover.

They use it by the gallon at his shop and swear by it for removing old glue.

I tried it and absolutely LOVE it.

I use it all the time on anything sticky like ramp decals or just about anything pinball related.

It works faster and better than anything I have ever used.

Old dried up mylar glue seems to absorb it until it turns to a rubbery gel that slides off with a plastic razor. Its fsacinating to watch the first time you use it, its like magic.

You spray it on, wait 60 seconds or so and easily scrape off the glue.

Smeary remnants are easily cleaned off with a little a little more rapid-tac and then a little naptha.

I removed the glue on a full mylar funhouse playfield in 5 minutes.

Once you try it you will never go back to the other time consuming alternatives.

#7439 2 years ago

I'm almost ready to clear coat my RS playfield. I've done a lot of research. Please check my list and let me know if I'm wrong anywhere. Thank you.

1. Sand
2. Naphtha
3. First coat of clear
4. Wait 24 hours
4. Paint corrections
5. Lightly sand or scuff
6. Final coats of clear
7. Wait 24 hours
8. Sanding cascade
9. Wait 2-3 weeks
10. Final cutting and polish

#7440 2 years ago
Quoted from packie1:Quick Question. I have sanded these kick out holes with 150 and then 220 grit and cant seem to get the ground in dirt out. I have no issue going to a lower grit, but am curious to see what others are doing to remove these. I also do not want to enlarge the saucers if I go down to low a grit.
Mike
[quoted image]

You are right that the dirt is deep into the wood where the woodgrain changes direction.

You don't have to paint the entire saucer, can spot paint over the dirt, then blend in the patch with 320g sandpaper.

Lucky for you, those saucers are in dimly lit locations on Vector. Much easier to match the paint than a shooter lane

#7441 2 years ago

Its a crap shoot.

You guys are going to cringe but I removed the goo on my Flash Gordon with lacquer thinner and microfiber cloth.

I noticed the playfield has some sort of factory clear on it under the mylar and tried in an inconspicuous spot. No change was noted so I stripped the whole playfied with lacquer thinner and it came out fine. I do NOT recommend this for most people though, someone is bound to use it in the wrong situation and strip all the paint off.

1c6b2b4ad7692e084c06ac99215e381d0d96ec72 (resized).jpg1c6b2b4ad7692e084c06ac99215e381d0d96ec72 (resized).jpgda05e0aec0dddfdffeb5cc5c0560e5f338e47750 (resized).jpgda05e0aec0dddfdffeb5cc5c0560e5f338e47750 (resized).jpg
#7442 2 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I'm almost ready to clear coat my RS playfield. I've done a lot of research. Please check my list and let me know if I'm wrong anywhere. Thank you.
1. Sand
2. Naphtha
3. First coat of clear
4. Wait 24 hours
4. Paint corrections
5. Lightly sand or scuff
6. Final coats of clear
7. Wait 24 hours
8. Sanding cascade
9. Wait 2-3 weeks
10. Final cutting and polish

I would swap the positions of step 5 and your second step four.

#7443 2 years ago

I have a couple questions about the general order in which the playfield restoration/clear coat process takes place. This is a great guide, but I may have missed the actual order somewhere.

Assuming there's nothing terrible wrong, is this correct? What are the wait times as noted below:

Remove Mylar
Clean playfield w/ Naptha/rag (this is done before each coat. I left it off to be concise.)
Hit playfield with magic eraser/alcohol
Fill in cupped inserts
Hit with 800 grit sandpaper to get tooth
Apply light coat of clear to seal stuff (does this count as 1st coat? Do I need to allow cure time?)
Do paint touch ups/decals
Apply clear coat 1 (how long to wait before sanding/applying 2nd coat?)
Remove hills with 120 grit, then 220,...
Sand 1st coat with 800
Apply clear coat 2 (how long to wait before sanding/applying 3nd coat?)
Sand 2nd coat with 800

-Do I need to wait a couple weeks/month here to let stuff cure before applying 3rd coat?-

Apply 3rd coat (do I sand before/after it has cured for a few weeks/month?)
Sand with 800
Sand with 1000
Sand with 1500
Sand with 2000

Buff w/:
Medium Cut
Swirl Remover 2.0
Machine Glaze
Blitz Wax

Thank you for the help/clarification.

#7444 2 years ago

Progress with Flash Gordon and enamel paints.

CB8D8EDD-A82D-4915-B9B2-2F22E9FEB529 (resized).jpegCB8D8EDD-A82D-4915-B9B2-2F22E9FEB529 (resized).jpeg2006A69F-095C-4768-8DCB-E8530D9ED1D1 (resized).jpeg2006A69F-095C-4768-8DCB-E8530D9ED1D1 (resized).jpeg93C1195C-54B3-4E02-942E-25B93FBD40F5 (resized).jpeg93C1195C-54B3-4E02-942E-25B93FBD40F5 (resized).jpegCD463FB9-A0D5-4394-8BF1-BF8E4E490384 (resized).jpegCD463FB9-A0D5-4394-8BF1-BF8E4E490384 (resized).jpeg
#7445 2 years ago
Quoted from RightNut:

I have a couple questions about the general order in which the playfield restoration/clear coat process takes place. This is a great guide, but I may have missed the actual order somewhere.
Assuming there's nothing terrible wrong, is this correct? What are the wait times as noted below:
Remove Mylar
Clean playfield w/ Naptha/rag (this is done before each coat. I left it off to be concise.)
Hit playfield with magic eraser/alcohol
Fill in cupped inserts
Hit with 800 grit sandpaper to get tooth
Apply light coat of clear to seal stuff (does this count as 1st coat? Do I need to allow cure time?)
Do paint touch ups/decals
Sand 1st coat with 800
Sand 2nd coat with 800
-Do I need to wait a couple weeks/month here to let stuff cure before applying 3rd coat?-
Apply 3rd coat (do I sand before/after it has cured for a few weeks/month?)
Sand with 800
Sand with 1000
Sand with 1500
Sand with 2000
Buff w/:
Medium Cut
Swirl Remover 2.0
Machine Glaze
Blitz Wax
Thank you for the help/clarification.

That's basically it.

120g sandpaper might be a bit much unless yo have some big rings to cut down.

220g might be a better starting point for a beginner

#7446 2 years ago
Quoted from RightNut:

Sand 1st coat with 800
Sand 2nd coat with 800

In my experience, the emphasis on extraordinary wait times when working with 2PAC is misguided. When working on a playfield, I level sand and continue to the next phase as soon as the clear has hardened adequately (generally about 24 hours with the clear I use). Don’t worry about how long the cure time is between phases of your work, it’ll be fine. How long before you start playing is no doubt a lively topic I won’t step into, but for the phases of playfield restoration, no worries.

#7447 2 years ago

Thanks for the info guys.

#7448 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

In my experience, the emphasis on extraordinary wait times when working with 2PAC is misguided. When working on a playfield, I level sand and continue to the next phase as soon as the clear has hardened adequately (generally about 24 hours with the clear I use). Don’t worry about how long the cure time is between phases of your work, it’ll be fine. How long before you start playing is no doubt a lively topic I won’t step into, but for the phases of playfield restoration, no worries.

24/48 hours after spraying with 2pac the clear is substantially softer than say, after 10 weeks.

You can do a ball bounce test under the apron and see for yourself.

Also die back is real.

Noticable areas show up at 10 weeks.

I block sanded and recleared my last pf at 10 weeks to help hide the die back.

Die back isnt that terrible but it tends to hold wax in insert crevices if they are too deep.

#7449 2 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Progress with Flash Gordon and enamel paints.

That's a restoration, but it's not an ULTIMATE restoration.

#7450 2 years ago

I tried all those ideas and was not impressed at all.
I would definitely try it on any playfield. If in doubt start with a small area first and go from there. Its a kind of citrus oil compound. Its not a solvent.
My sign/car/vinyl guy turned me on to the rapid-tac adhesive remover.
They use it by the gallon at his shop and swear by it for removing old glue.
I tried it and absolutely LOVE it.
I use it all the time on anything sticky like ramp decals or just about anything pinball related.
It works faster and better than anything I have ever used.
Old dried up mylar glue seems to absorb it until it turns to a rubbery gel that slides off with a plastic razor. Its fsacinating to watch the first time you use it, its like magic.
You spray it on, wait 60 seconds or so and easily scrape off the glue.
Smeary remnants are easily cleaned off with a little a little more rapid-tac and then a little naptha.
I removed the glue on a full mylar funhouse playfield in 5 minutes.
Once you try it you will never go back to the other time consuming alternatives.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this product is fantastic. I rubbed with flour and alcohol to the point that I got blisters, but Rapid Tac adhesive remover really did the job. I used a small plastic scraper to remove the old mylar glue and while it was still a chore, it actually came up. And this is on a System 11 game! I couldn't get more than a square inch in an hour using every other method, but this stuff works.

Getting the mylar glue off the old insert plastics on the other hand is still a chore. I don't know what it is about those things but they are VERY hard to remove mylar from. Maybe the glue fused with the lacquer, I dunno. They're all mostly cracked though so I'm just going to mostly replace the inserts.

Now the caveat will be if I can remove all the Rapic Tac off to get good clear adhesion. We'll find out soon.

Thanks for the reccomendation and I'll keep the thread informed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 149 of 176.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/149?hl=zhu808 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.