I've been working on this EM Joker Poker EM on and off for months now. What initially looked to me like a fairly doable restoration turned into a full on reconstruction, involving tons of scanning, painting over large swaths of the art, and restoring damaged art digitially so that it could be printed onto decals. It was basically a way for me to learn more about pshop and Illustrator, both of which were employed mightily.
The playfield art was incredibly delicate, and removing ball swirls with ME + alcohol was out of the question. Are would just start flaking off the surface instantly. Even the mild naptha on a rag to cut through the lousy sharpie "touch ups" that had been done around the keylining was a dicey proposition. I had to repaint all of the red on the playfield. The whites were such a darkened, ball-swirl disaster, it meant the only way to address that was to repaint everything with a yellowed white, then decal the art back down. The face cards were a miniature eternity of mouse clicks in pshop (Illustrator's Image Trace tool just couldn't make fine enough details at that tiny scale, to me consternation.) I used the pantone color book in the Adobe suite to print out samples and see how they looked on the actual playfield. Short of spending an enormous outlay of $ for a very fancy monitor and calibration setup, I opted to just figure it out the hard way - by printing out 1" squares on decal paper, labeled with their pantone value, and placing them on the playfield itself. The yellowed white means you can't judge the match until it is on the surface, as that casts the color slightly warmer. Then, lots of hours of printing and placing decals, plus having one of them glue itself to the printer's innards, requiring a surgery which may have damaged the printer permanently, but for $200 I'm trying to shrug that off.
This is ready for clear, after which there are just a couple of small details to wrap up that I couldn't do in this layer.
I will be doing a separate post/topic on this project as there is a lot to say about it, and I will be doing the cabinet over as well, but for now I figured I'd dump a handful of photos here.
JP8 (resized).jpegJP11 (resized).jpeg9471D06C-F6FE-4FD0-944F-E1EB32245DDE (resized).jpgIMG_4959 (resized).jpgIMG_4963 (resized).jpg61886913010__9CA3FF7D-B529-48DA-9CDC-6E233A17658B (resized).JPG61886954924__DD643433-3832-4BB8-B3AC-17C8888D2DC7 (resized).JPGIMG_5554 (resized).jpgIMG_5560 (resized).jpgIMG_5562 (resized).jpgIMG_5559 (resized).jpg