Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 176.
#5101 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you just need clearcoating. Level 1 with me is $350 for standard body fields. $400 for widebody games. That's leveling with 3-5 layers and block sanding between layers. Turnaround time is around 2-3 weeks from arrival.

much more work involved there than what the body shop will do.

#5102 6 years ago

indeed it is. But that's what I do. If I needed my car clearcoated. I wouldn't try doing it myself. Maybe 1 panel, but not the entire car.

#5103 6 years ago

What do you guys think of this kit CPR recommends for a high end finish? Is this really worth the extra cost?

http://www.classicplayfields.com/perfection.html

#5104 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

What do you guys think of this kit CPR recommends for a high end finish? Is this really worth the extra cost?

I think is sucks balls in a big way. I used to use 3M buffing compounds and it was the WORST. Absolutely the worst. It was very easy to overheat and burn the clear. Buffing compound would heat up so much the inserts would all shift and reveal edging everywhere. Even when it looked great to start. I will never use another 3m compound ever.

#5105 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think is sucks balls in a big way. I used to use 3M buffing compounds and it was the WORST. Absolutely the worst. It was very easy to overheat and burn the clear. Buffing compound would heat up so much the inserts would all shift and reveal edging everywhere. Even when it looked great to start. I will never use another 3m compound ever.

Ok, how about the treasure cove kit:

http://www.treasurecovepinball.com/polishing-kit.htm

#5106 6 years ago

I don't know what's in the TC kit. I don't use it.

#5107 6 years ago

I just got my PF back from the auto body shop.

Before seeing it I was told "It didn't turn out as I hoped" Never a good thing to hear. He went on to tell me that there was a lot of fish eye when they sprayed the dry coat, so they had to use fish eye reducer and put on a wet coat. As a result, the 1st layer is thicker and smoother than he was hoping to spray. Having said that, I'm glad they did it that way. There's no fish eye evident at all, I'll just need to sand down this layer a bit before applying the art. Even without touching up the art, the PF looks so much better than it did before.

So far he's got about 1/2 hour of labor into it.

#5108 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I just got my PF back from the auto body shop.

Pics or it didn't happen

Seriously though, glad it's working out for you!

#5109 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Pics or it didn't happen
Seriously though, glad it's working out for you!

eventually

Here ya go. Disregard the blurry areas, that's due to how Photoshop stitched the pictures together.

1st layer (resized).jpg1st layer (resized).jpg

#5110 6 years ago

I'm in the process of re-painting this playfield. I'm airbrushing createx paints, but I'm struggling to get anywhere near the peach colour round the pop bumpers. Any tips on which colours to try mixing to get this?

IMG_3901 (resized).JPGIMG_3901 (resized).JPG

#5111 6 years ago
Quoted from tomds:

I'm in the process of re-painting this playfield. I'm airbrushing createx paints, but I'm struggling to get anywhere near the peach colour round the pop bumpers. Any tips on which colours to try mixing to get this?

Try this. I would go 3 May have to adjust as I was going off your pic and it needed a little more light.
Mike

color test (resized).JPGcolor test (resized).JPG

#5112 6 years ago

After a playfield swap and two restorations (with two more waiting to be done) I have redirected to build a black pipe rotisserie. Do you spray clear with a playfield on the rotisserie? If so, what about the areas covered by the clamps at the top and bottom edges?

#5113 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

After a playfield swap and two restorations (with two more waiting to be done) I have redirected to build a black pipe rotisserie. Do you spray clear with a playfield on the rotisserie? If so, what about the areas covered by the clamps at the top and bottom edges?

Take the clamps off if you spray on the rotisserie.

Gravity will keep it in place.

isaac_newton (resized).jpgisaac_newton (resized).jpg

#5114 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Not really.

Even if you polished the whole playfield to **show car** shine, it would only take a few days to ruin all that hard work; just like if you rolled a bunch of steel balls all over your show car hood for 100 hours.

Spend your time playing pinball, not obsessing over something that can't last.....

#5116 6 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Try this. I would go 3 May have to adjust as I was going off your pic and it needed a little more light.
Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a go.

#5117 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Take the clamps off if you spray on the rotisserie.
Gravity will keep it in place.

Oh duh - gravity. It really does work well on most things (except Sir Issac's hair)!

#5118 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Oh duh - gravity. It really does work well on most things (except Sir Issac's hair)!

or tim burtons

#5119 6 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Mike

Mike,

Am i missing something obvious? What do those ratios mean?

#5120 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Mike,
Am i missing something obvious? What do those ratios mean?

An Art teacher explained this to me.
She told me that it is the ratio of color to white. The color being made by 10 yellow, 10 red and 80 white. Then the "tints" are created by adding more white to the color.
It may not still be perfect, but it will be a better starting point. So mix that up put it in your airbrush and shoot a small spot. Let it dry (do not heat dry it) and see how it looks. If you have followed Vid's advise,you should have a base of clear on your playfield. With the Base clear, you can shoot and shoot color and wipe off what doesn't look right. Give that a try. Trust me, I am bad with color matching and my wife got frustrated looking at colors, so I ended up with this method.
Here is a Bally eight ball where I matched the green. Did the whole thing to make sure no color difference.

bally eightball (resized).jpgbally eightball (resized).jpg

#5121 6 years ago

Looks nice.

so, the 3 for instance, would be the 3 parts recipe that they recommend to 1 white?

That's sort of how I read it, you (I) would think that the website could make the appropriate adjustments.

#5122 6 years ago

Two questions for anyone:

1. Anyone know a good source of the rubber barrel nuts for holding on the plastics?

2. What is the best way to get the rivets out of the metal lane guides that hold them into the side wood?

#5123 6 years ago

pinball life sells them. you can get them in all kinds of colors too.

#5124 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Two questions for anyone:
1. Anyone know a good source of the rubber barrel nuts for holding on the plastics?
2. What is the best way to get the rivets out of the metal lane guides that hold them into the side wood?

1.Titan has 13 different colors.
2. I use an aircraft skinning spoon and gently pry between the guide and the wood until you can get a hold of the nail with pliers. You can use a putty knife as well.

#5125 6 years ago

lets assume I don't have fancy aircraft-grade stuff....mini pry-bar might work?

#5126 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

lets assume I don't have fancy aircraft-grade stuff....mini pry-bar might work?

Depends on how thin it is. Putty knife would be better.

#5127 6 years ago

Started the touch up. After all the stressing about color matching, I started out by using the GoldenPaints web site to get a basic recipe. Dayum if it wasn't waaaaaaay off. So, I just played with the mix, added different colors that weren't in the recipe, but that my eye told me that it needed. I think I came very close to the original green on the PF. Very satisfying. There were a few times that I thought it was a goner, but persistence payed off.

Here is a before and after sample.

The green is much closer in person than the pics show, you can tell that the "after" pic is bluer than the "before" pic. as I took the pic with my camera, while the "before" was from a scanner.

I'm starting to believe!!!

scan0020 (resized).jpgscan0020 (resized).jpg
IMG_1228 (resized).JPGIMG_1228 (resized).JPG

#5128 6 years ago

i do not envy the touchups you are going to have to do.

#5129 6 years ago

Although it looks like a huge pain, that blue area might be better off being masked and sprayed a whole color.

#5130 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

. What is the best way to get the rivets out of the metal lane guides that hold them into the side wood?

Same as this:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-side-rails-vids-guide

#5131 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i do not envy the touchups you are going to have to do.

Me either.

Quoted from La_Porta:

Although it looks like a huge pain, that blue area might be better off being masked and sprayed a whole color.

I'm going to have to spray the entire PF. Yes, a real pain, especially for my 1st attempt. The real time consuming thing is cleaning up the scan, in order to create vector art for my Silhouette machine to cut the stencils. I know I could use Frisket, but hell, I have this cutter so why not use it. Lots of curves to cut, I'd rather not freehand it. On the plus side, since I'm doing the entire play field, there is a little room for error in lining things up.

#5132 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Started the touch up. After all the stressing about color matching, I started out by using the GoldenPaints web site to get a basic recipe. Dayum if it wasn't waaaaaaay off. So, I just played with the mix, added different colors that weren't in the recipe, but that my eye told me that it needed. I think I came very close to the original green on the PF. Very satisfying. There were a few times that I thought it was a goner, but persistence payed off.
Here is a before and after sample.
The green is much closer in person than the pics show, you can tell that the "after" pic is bluer than the "before" pic. as I took the pic with my camera, while the "before" was from a scanner.
I'm starting to believe!!!

Damn Sorry the mix did not work out well for you. Did you make sure to select Fluid colors? The program likes to default to the heavy bodies, and I always have to switch. But you are correct that you still have to play with it, but it does put you in the ballpark. Looks good.

#5133 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Me either.

I'm going to have to spray the entire PF. Yes, a real pain, especially for my 1st attempt. The real time consuming thing is cleaning up the scan, in order to create vector art for my Silhouette machine to cut the stencils. I know I could use Frisket, but hell, I have this cutter so why not use it. Lots of curves to cut, I'd rather not freehand it. On the plus side, since I'm doing the entire play field, there is a little room for error in lining things up.

Again I have done the same thing with the eightball PF. Using a cutter saves time and headaches. I also cut some more difficult images for spraying and it took a lot of pressure off doing it by hand.

#5134 6 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Damn Sorry the mix did not work out well for you. Did you make sure to select Fluid colors? The program likes to default to the heavy bodies, and I always have to switch. But you are correct that you still have to play with it, but it does put you in the ballpark. Looks good.

No problem, it got me there. Yes, I selected Fluid colors, but I mixed some of the heavy body, and some Createx paints to finally come up with the match. Even with the heavy body, it sprayed just fine without reducing.

#5135 6 years ago

Thanks. I should just assume that there is a "Vid's guide to X" for almost every topic out there!

#5136 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

pinball life sells them. you can get them in all kinds of colors too.

Having a tough time. I can find the original style nylon acorn nuts, but not the rubber barrel slip on/off type. Do you have a link>

#5137 6 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Having a tough time. I can find the original style nylon acorn nuts, but not the rubber barrel slip on/off type. Do you have a link>

Pinball resource - rubber -# RIN-PC http://www.pbresource.com/rubber/rin-pc.jpg
Tittan silicone - https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=33&product_id=52

#5139 6 years ago

Vid there are several bare wood areas near the pop bumpers. I have applied my first light coat of spraymax and intend to start the paint touch up next. I noticed a slight ridge in the transition area where there is paint and then bare wood. Is there anything I need to do about the ridge before I start applying color?

IMG_0269 (resized).JPGIMG_0269 (resized).JPG

#5140 6 years ago
Quoted from Silverstreak02:

Vid there are several bare wood areas near the pop bumpers. I have applied my first light coat of spraymax and intend to start the paint touch up next. I noticed a slight ridge in the transition area where there is paint and then bare wood. Is there anything I need to do about the ridge before I start applying color?

You can feather it with fine sandpaper, or just bury it in the clear at the end.

#5142 6 years ago

My playfield switch slots are mashed down on each end. Would you just repair the ends with the wood epoxy and then paint or try to press the wood back up? If I clear coat it would a cliffy be necessary to prevent future wear?

Thanks!

#5143 6 years ago
Quoted from Adold:

My playfield switch slots are mashed down on each end. Would you just repair the ends with the wood epoxy and then paint or try to press the wood back up? If I clear coat it would a cliffy be necessary to prevent future wear?
Thanks!

Usually they are mashed down at the factory so a slow ball does not hang up in them.

Look at any new game to see what I mean.

LeeW-GBswitch-rt (resized).jpgLeeW-GBswitch-rt (resized).jpg

#5144 6 years ago

I will take some pictures when i get home but mine are damaged. you can see cracks in the finish and they are mashed down further than that.

Thank you

#5145 6 years ago
Quoted from Adold:

I will take some pictures when i get home but mine are damaged. you can see cracks in the finish and they are mashed down further than that.
Thank you

Sand them a little to clean them up.

If you can't sand the dirt out, paint 'em.

#5147 6 years ago

Update,

I've been away all week, and just got home to paint the yellow on my Mini Pool PF. Not bad, it only took about 4 hours for the one color, very tedious to prep.....4 more colors to go! 5 if you include black.

Sorry no pics at the moment, I'll get some up soon.

I'm away again tomorrow,

#5148 6 years ago

Had to install the lane guides on my CPR Nitro Ground Shaker playfield. I found these Brad tipped bits on eBay. The 3/32 worked perfect. Plus they have a hex drive so turning them by hand was a breeze.

ebay.com link: Milescraft 2300 Brad Point Stubby Bits 6 PC Set

IMG_0492 (resized).JPGIMG_0492 (resized).JPG

IMG_0493 (resized).JPGIMG_0493 (resized).JPG

#5149 6 years ago

For some reason, I'm unable to find the posts about clear lifting off inserts, and using the "GIANT HORSE SYRINGE" to re-adhere it. Can anyone point me to Vid's post on that?

EDIT: I got it.

#5150 6 years ago

What's the best way to get the slurry residue out of the holes, and to clean up star inserts with clear in the grooves? I think you may have covered both of those but it wasn't obvious in the tagged posts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 179.00
$ 12.95
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 103 of 176.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/103?hl=indusguys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.