Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 655 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Zitt
  • Topic is favorited by 785 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

T1QRoyXmtXXXXxQCI4_054151__26593_std.jpg
    20220509_162529 (resized).jpg
    C114_8color1080lbl (resized).jpg
    IMG-20211207-WA0003 (resized).jpeg
    DE newest (resized).jpg
    DE older (resized).jpg
    picture (resized).png
    20210127_002841.jpg
    20210126_212921.jpg
    20210126_212901.jpg
    20210114_145356 (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    20210107_075154 (Large) (resized).jpg
    20210107_075144 (Large) (resized).jpg
    20210107_075051 (Large) (resized).jpg
    20210107_075009 (Large) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #183 Bally 80’s pop bumper rebuild Posted by vid1900 (9 years ago)

Post #407 Recommendation for stapler Posted by vid1900 (7 years ago)

Post #536 Link to a great video for people who are new to pop bumpers. Posted by Axl (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lynnindenver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#413 7 years ago

Hey, Vid, got a question regarding switch adjustment. I rebuilt the pops on our Solar Ride. They work perfectly fine, good, strong, no sticking at all... except that from the very front, the best way to describe is it is the center pop acts "numb", the pop doesn't really fire when you hit directly from the flippers. I can fire it by hitting the skirt with my finger, so I know it's just out of adjustment.

Note: I have been considering doing the System 80 retrofit, basically installing the System 80 pop driver boards onto the System 1 pop bumpers, but if I could finish the tuning I'd only need to do it to prevent even the remote possibility of one of them locking on in the future.

1 month later
    #426 6 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I have a System 1 pop that has the skirt getting stuck in the spoon in 1 particular direction (as if it's moving too far out of the spoon). There isn't a whole lot of movement available for adjusting the spoon, so do I just need to keep fiddling with it, or more likely need to replace? If replace, will a standard Williams spoon work, or should I buy a metal Gottlieb one?
    Thanks

I just bought whole bumper switch stacks for Solar Ride's pop rebuild. Marco sells them that way. But I'd recommend sticking with the Gottlieb metal spoons.

Also, try swabbing out the spoon with an alcohol-soaked qtip. I was able to solve most of the sticking on one of ours just by cleaning it out like that. I did the rebuild just because I was sure things were still original, and even HUO it was due.

1 year later
    #535 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

If your pops are sluggish, be sure the cup is clean! I have found sludge and grease in the cups. If you are not changing them be sure to clean them with 90% isopropyl alchohol.
    They are horizontal and have a hole above them.
    Crud affects the post.

Additional: sufficient crud in the cup can cause the coil to "lock on" with EM style pop bumpers (like used on Gottlieb System 1) - basically, the skirt "jams" on the crud and effectively sticks the switch closed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lynnindenver.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers?tu=lynnindenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.