Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 657 posts
  • 171 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 25 days ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 789 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pop 1 (resized).jpg
    Pop2 (resized).jpg
    T1QRoyXmtXXXXxQCI4_054151__26593_std.jpg
    20220509_162529 (resized).jpg
    C114_8color1080lbl (resized).jpg
    IMG-20211207-WA0003 (resized).jpeg
    DE newest (resized).jpg
    DE older (resized).jpg
    picture (resized).png
    20210127_002841.jpg
    20210126_212921.jpg
    20210126_212901.jpg
    20210114_145356 (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    20210107_075154 (Large) (resized).jpg
    20210107_075144 (Large) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 657 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
    #351 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I still don't get it. How did you come up with the 100ohm 5% 1/2watt? I thought I had it with the 2kohm 1/2watt based on appearance.

You start with the first non-metallic band.

So the first band color looks to me to be BROWN (at least on my phone) so Brown = 1

The second band looks to be BLACK, Black = 0

The final non-metallic color looks to be BROWN, so that makes it the multiplier color of x10

The last band is metallic gold, meaning 5% tolerance.

I know, it's stupidly complicated, but at one time, high tolerance resistors were $$$, and apparently they could not print the values in text on them, lol

11066_(resized).png11066_(resized).png

#352 7 years ago

Aha - thank you. I think what looks brown on your phone might actually be red on my resistor. Thanks for the explanation!

#353 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Aha - thank you. I think what looks brown on your phone might actually be red on my resistor. Thanks for the explanation!

If we can't figure out what the color codes are (like a burnt resistor, or a color blind owner), we can cheat and look at the schematic (click for readable size):

zz-williams-pops_(resized).jpgzz-williams-pops_(resized).jpg

Here we see all 3 pop bumpers R3, R4 and R5 are 100ohm resistors

#354 7 years ago

So I replaced my 3 pop bumpers with new skirts, bodies and lamp holders. New bulbs too. Now 2 of the 3 won't light. I think they are soldered properly, but no matter how many times I resolder, twist the bulbs, try different bulbs I can't get them to light.

Could there be something wrong with the lamp holder? Can't imagine what, but I can't think of what else could be wrong.

Any advice appreciated.

#355 7 years ago
    Quoted from Alan51:

So I replaced my 3 pop bumpers with new skirts, bodies and lamp holders. New bulbs too. Now 2 of the 3 won't light. I think they are soldered properly, but no matter how many times I resolder, twist the bulbs, try different bulbs I can't get them to light.
    Could there be something wrong with the lamp holder? Can't imagine what, but I can't think of what else could be wrong.
    Any advice appreciated.

You did not say what game, what type of lamps (#555 or #47), if you are using real bulbs or LEDs, so.....

If you want to troubleshoot something, you have to break it down to the simplest segments.

1. Put the game in LAMP TEST mode so all the lamps are flashing.

2. Using your meter, see if the pop sockets have power. If the pops light with the GI, put your meter on VAC, if the pops are computer controlled, put meter on VDC.

3. If sockets have power, then try a normal, incandescent bulb.

#356 7 years ago

sorry about that.

It is a 1963 Bally Star Jet. Using #47 lamps. When I plug it in all lights go on except 2 out of the 3 newly installed lamp holders in the new pop bumpers.

Don't have a meter.

#357 7 years ago

Go right now and get a meter!

There is no way to service a pin without one.

They are free at Harbor Freight, or $25 at Sears/Autozone

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If we can't figure out what the color codes are (like a burnt resistor, or a color blind owner), we can cheat and look at the schematic (click for readable size):

Here we see all 3 pop bumpers R3, R4 and R5 are 100ohm resistors

Thank you again. Is there a good beginners guide to reading schematics that you recommend? I truly want to understand the electronics side of pin repairs better but have yet to find tutorials which assume NO working knowledge of electronic components or diagnostics.

In the meantime I am truly grateful for the help I get here on Pinside from yourself and others. Without it, owning pins would be out of the question for me.

#359 7 years ago

So the reason I am rebuilding the pops on my Pinbot is that the upper pop locked up at PAGG a couple weekends ago (melted coil sleeve, fried Q79, blown fuse F4). What I noticed when I started taking things apart was all this white dust in the bumper nest area. I have been finding this every time I go to clean and wax since my playfield swap which included new bumper bodies, skirts and rings. I always thought it was from a bad batch of white rubber rings. Turns out it is from the ring shafts rubbing on the white plastic bodies. It is worst on the bumper that seized up, which has actually worn all the way through the body. I am guessing this is the cause of the meltdown? I do not see how to eliminate the play in the ring to prevent future rubbing. Even if I hold the rings perfectly centered in the bodies the gap between the ring shaft and the channel on the body is 1/16" at most. Is that amount of clearance normal? Is it normal to have so much play on the ring that it hits the bumper body? How do I put this back together in a way that prevents this from continuing?

20160523_101336_(resized).jpg20160523_101336_(resized).jpg

20160523_101302_(resized).jpg20160523_101302_(resized).jpg

20160523_102252_(resized).jpg20160523_102252_(resized).jpg

#360 7 years ago

You probably need a total rebuild to get rid of all the slop in the system.

Sleeve, plunger, base, yokes - if everything is a little sloppy, you get a "tolerance buildup" of slop.

#361 7 years ago

Vid, did I miss the part where you said 80% of my time would be spent dicking around with staples? Your pics have the playfield out but doing this in the game was not my idea of fun. Would you normally cut the leads at the first good spot or would you completely desolder the entire lamp?

Regardless, thanks for your input. Did 3 pops on my Jokerz and I refuse to say how long it took if you estimate 10 mins per. Only 'issue' was having to readjust one bumper spoon a couple of times before it felt right.

#362 7 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Vid, did I miss the part where you said 80% of my time would be spent dicking around with staples?

Use a nice, sharp scratch awl and lift the staples up.

Lift them all the way out if you have a long nose pneumatic stapler to replace them.

Lift 1/8" up if you are going to have to reuse them.

Quoted from boscokid:

Your pics have the playfield out but doing this in the game was not my idea of fun.

If you have a rotisserie, it takes only a minute to pull the playfield completely out. Working while sitting is the nicest way to go.

Quoted from boscokid:

Would you normally cut the leads at the first good spot or would you completely desolder the entire lamp?

If I'm reusing the lamp, I'll desolder. If I'm replacing it, I cut it out.

Quoted from boscokid:

Only 'issue' was having to readjust one bumper spoon a couple of times before it felt right.

You can do that on the rotisserie also, by plugging in the playfield to the machine.

Once you get the pops to "hair-trigger", its fun how great the game now becomes.

=

Congrats on getting it done.

Next time will be 10x faster now that you are an expert!

#363 7 years ago

Damnit Vid! I never thought you meant pull the playfield out! Lol, I thought trying to solder against gravity was normal.

Seriously, I have to pull the interconnect board to redo J6 for the GI, should I just pull the whole thing out while its disconnected and align the pop bumper spoons? They seem right but the lower one did skip at least once in 50 tries

#364 7 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Seriously, I have to pull the interconnect board to redo J6 for the GI, should I just pull the whole thing out while its disconnected and align the pop bumper spoons? They seem right but the lower one did skip at least once in 50 tries

Your goal is to make the pops "hair trigger" but not activate when you pound on the playfield around the pops.

If the switch is missing from one direction, the spoon is probably not centered on the skirt pin.

1 month later
    #365 7 years ago

Apologies if this has been covered in the past, but I noticed a pre-assembled pop kit I got from PBL has the fiber yoke closest to the top of the pop instead of the metal one.

My question is if this was done on purpose and if it may be an approach that prevents the common cracking of the metal yoke? Even if the fiber yoke were to break it should be easier to service.

I've seen a few references to this being found but not clarity on if this was desirable. Here is a picture from PBL that appears to show it in the same position I found mine: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1513

-Jay

#366 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrobinso99:

Apologies if this has been covered in the past, but I noticed a pre-assembled pop kit I got from PBL has the fiber yoke closest to the top of the pop instead of the metal one.

Probably just some goofy kids who have never worked on a pin doing the assembly.

Fiber yoke faces the coil.

#367 7 years ago

Thank you Vid1900 After reading this I am going to give it a go. Looking forward to some fast pop action

#368 7 years ago

I wasn't paying attention when removing my pop bumpers to replace the skirts. Off of the lights there are two pins, one from the bottom of the lamp ( hot ?) and one from the surrounding case for the lamp (ground ?). These are connected to two wires, one with a resistor and one plain wire.

Which goes where ?

I don't believe it will make any real difference for incandescent bulbs, but know the LED's are polarized and I might as well put them back right.

#369 7 years ago
    Quoted from DorothyMacaw:

I wasn't paying attention when removing my pop bumpers to replace the skirts. Off of the lights there are two pins, one from the bottom of the lamp ( hot ?) and one from the surrounding case for the lamp (ground ?). These are connected to two wires, one with a resistor and one plain wire.
    Which goes where ?
    I don't believe it will make any real difference for incandescent bulbs, but know the LED's are polarized and I might as well put them back right.

What game are we talking about?

#370 7 years ago

Sorry, Vid.

Time Warp.

#371 7 years ago
    Quoted from DorothyMacaw:

Sorry, Vid.
    Time Warp.

Many Time Warps and other early SS Williams were wired backwards from the factory (no need to worry back then, because the bulbs were incandescent).

So touch the lamp leads to the wires and test with a LED installed and turn the game on.

Once you get it right, wire all 5 pops the same.

#372 7 years ago

Thank you, Vid. You are the greatest

1 month later
    #373 7 years ago

Hey Vid. Thanks as always, I have another question for you. After rebuilding my pops, when testing I noticed one of the pops hums when activated and gets much hotter than the others after about 10 tests. I did note that the coil stop was pushed out about 10-20 degrees, so I figured this might be the cause as it is it not at a 90 degree angle to the bracket. I cannot test this theory as the bracket broke (quite easily) when trying to eliminate the 10-20 degree difference. While I wait for the new bracket, is there anything else I should check for? If that is the issue, why would the coil get hot? Thanks again!

#374 7 years ago

Those coil stop brackets break after a while.

I often see them with terrible welding jobs as an attempted repair.

Check if your coil plunger is unevenly worn from the bad bracket. If so, replace.

#375 7 years ago

Vid, I replaced bracket and checked for uneven wear, none to be found. Coil still hums and gets hot when tested. Any ideas? It is not locked on.

1 month later
    #376 7 years ago

Test the ohms of the coil.

It could have been partially unwound for more kick.

#377 7 years ago

Vid,

I redid my pops on Jokerz! (sleeves and spoons) and all three seemed fine.

Lately I have noticed the bottom bumper just doesn't see to 'PoP' forcefully like I want to see. I assume its a spoon adjustment? I never took the playfield out so I installed just by eyeballing- should i pull the field and use the light shine method to center? I don't suspect any issue with the coil as it 'Pops" as expected sometimes (maybe 3 out of 10 are solid Pops) I need this fixed! Help please!

#378 7 years ago

With the power off, see if there are any mechanical hangups by manually pushing the ring through it's range of motion.

#379 7 years ago

ok thanks - will do that tomorrow and report back. Cant be tonite as I have watched too much football today

2 weeks later
    #380 7 years ago

Ok I have an IM with a pop bumper that doesn't work. The coil works and pops, but the peg from the skirt slides off to one side of the spoon so the switch doesn't trigger. I've tried adjusting the switch stack and there is no play between the spoon and the peg, but as soon as one particular side of the skirt gets touched the peg slides off to the side. It only happens when that side of the skirt is touched.

#381 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goalie:

Ok I have an IM with a pop bumper that doesn't work. The coil works and pops, but the peg from the skirt slides off to one side of the spoon so the switch doesn't trigger. I've tried adjusting the switch stack and there is no play between the spoon and the peg, but as soon as one particular side of the skirt gets touched the peg slides off to the side. It only happens when that side of the skirt is touched.

Is the peg on the skirt worn down or mushrooming? Is there anything in the spoon that might need to be cleaned out?

#382 7 years ago

No it's like a 4 month old machine i got NIB. Spoon, peg everything looks brand new.

#383 7 years ago

Get a super bright mini flashlight out and re-center the spoon.

1 week later
    #384 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I like the system 11 screws they use instead of the fin shanked ones. They are a philips head on the top side of the playfield and have an upper coarse thread that is actually a reverse thread that holds it into the playfield and then the nuts hold the coil bracket on the bottom are normal thread. Make sure you drill is in forward when taking these out of the playfield!

I need new shank screws for my AFM playfield. It's supposed to have screw-in ones (part #4506-01104-20) like you mentioned, but no one in the US seems to stock them. Marco has these (237-5957-00):
    Where's the Head?Where's the Head?
    which would work, but there doesn't seem to be a slot on top to drive them in. How should they be installed? I don't think pressing (or worse, a hammer) is a good idea...what's the trick?

#385 7 years ago

Hammer them in with a punch so you don't chip the clearcoat.

#386 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Hammer them in with a punch so you don't chip the clearcoat.

Thanks. Do they actually screw in (i.e. turn) as you're hammering? Seems like a pretty traumatic way to seat a screw...

Seems like these would be the best kind if they do actually "screw" in, otherwise it seems like the older fin design would be better...

#387 7 years ago

They do screw in as you tap them.

They are designed for fast production, not gentle coddling.

1 week later
    #388 7 years ago

Here's something not listed yet. I'm rebuilding a vintage 1960 Williams EM single player machine called "21" (card theme). The AC powered pop bumpers all use those old style "keyhole" slot metal yokes and fiber yokes which are no longer available. So apparently I need to convert the pop bumper assemblies to use the modern Williams parts. Here are the part numbers:

1A-954 (01-954) Metal Yoke, Keyhole style. Use modern Williams # 01-5492 Metal Yoke.

1A-1231-1 (01-1231-1) Fiber Yoke, Keyhole style. Use modern Williams # 01-5493 Metal Yoke.

2A-2527 (02-2527) Plunger, Jet Bumper, Keyhole style. Use modern Williams # 02-3406-1 Plunger, Jet Bumper.

10A-135 (10-135) Spring, Jet Bumper

Now over at PBR, they make a conversion kit complete with all the parts needed as # KT-WPOP-01 which uses Gottlieb pop bumper parts and a modified Williams 2A-2527 plunger.

So the thing that concerns me is the 2A-2527 plunger (made for AC powered coils) and the 02-3406-1 plunger (made for DC powered coils). Are they the same length and made of the same materials? Should I use the modern Williams parts (which I already have on hand) or should I buy the PBR kit?

#390 7 years ago

For those of you that have the Bally Thumper Bumpers (gilliagns, Black Rose, etc..) the proper rod and ring is NLA. Hopefully yours don't break, or get a screw to break off in em!

#391 7 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

So the thing that concerns me is the 2A-2527 plunger (made for AC powered coils) and the 02-3406-1 plunger (made for DC powered coils). Are they the same length and made of the same materials? Should I use the modern Williams parts (which I already have on hand) or should I buy the PBR kit?

That seems like a fun call to make with PBR.

1 week later
    #392 7 years ago

Can someone recommend a replacement for #44/47 pop bumper sockets...I'm rebuilding my sorcerer and I prefer to keep using that socket since its the bulb I use for all my GI.

#394 7 years ago

Thanks KenLayton , I had found that, but wasn't sure it was right.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and go 555, I hate ordering another style LED. I was also hoping the replacement would hold the 44/47 better...

Any opinions welcome.

#395 7 years ago

Hey vid,

I need to change the socket on one of my pops on my BSD. Do I have to disassemble the pop completely to just swap the socket? I was installing LEDs on them and sure enough, one socket was plenty tight and it bended to one side. Now the bulb on that pop bumper works in and out, comes and goes. It does not look like the leads broke off. The socket is still very much in place and no loose at all. So I was just looking to replace the socket but have no idea if The whole bumper assembly must come out. Do I even need to replace the socket given that it does work most of the time? Thanks!

#396 7 years ago

Actually It bended a lot to one side while trying to install the led but it doesn't look broken or loose anywhere. But the light does come and go...maybe it doesn't need replacing?

IMG_6836 (resized).JPGIMG_6836 (resized).JPG

#397 7 years ago

If the solder is good on the backside, try a different bulb, or bend the contacts inside the socket slightly to make better contact.

#398 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If the solder is good on the backside, try a different bulb, or bend the contacts inside the socket slightly to make better contact.

The backside? You mean the backside of the socket?

I did, I put a regular bulb too and It worked for a good 10 minutes and then it went off. So does this basically this means I don't have to replace it, just adjust it a little bit? Thanks!

#399 7 years ago

Let me ask you this: If I ever have to replace one, instead of pulling the staples and to remove the old socket leds, can I just cut the leads, leave the part of the socket lead that is stapled under the Playfield there and just run a new socket, and solder the new leads to the old leads left stapled from the old socket?

I know that is not the best way of doing this but I don't have a stapler for wood and just need to know if doing what I just suggested would work. Thanks!

#400 7 years ago

I followed this for mine.. worked out well..

There are 657 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers/page/8?hl=ajnin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.