Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 657 posts
  • 171 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 days ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 788 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pop 1 (resized).jpg
    Pop2 (resized).jpg
    T1QRoyXmtXXXXxQCI4_054151__26593_std.jpg
    20220509_162529 (resized).jpg
    C114_8color1080lbl (resized).jpg
    IMG-20211207-WA0003 (resized).jpeg
    DE newest (resized).jpg
    DE older (resized).jpg
    picture (resized).png
    20210127_002841.jpg
    20210126_212921.jpg
    20210126_212901.jpg
    20210114_145356 (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    20210107_075154 (Large) (resized).jpg
    20210107_075144 (Large) (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 657 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.
    #101 10 years ago

I didn't think anyone had covered the 1950's vintage pop bumper parts. Since I am now working on a "Paratrooper" pinball from 1952, I figured I'd mention the parts for the old bumpers.

2 weeks later
    #102 10 years ago

Great step-by -step tutorial!

I am new to pinside, new owner of a pinball, new to fixing things up. Well pretty much new to everything about owning and maintain a machine....

I just recently bought my first pin, a LW3 with some minor damages to the cabinet but with a awesome play field.

However the center pop-bumper is not 100%. When manually pressing on the skirt i seems to do its job pretty well, but it seems like the skirt is set to high above the play field so the ball always get a "belly shot" on to it and never rolls up on it and there fore not releases the plunger. It might even be so that the skirt does not work as freely as the other two pop-bumpers.

So my Q to all you Pinhead-pros out here:

Is there a way to adjust (lower) the skirt-hight from playfield? If so, How?
    Or is rebuild the only answer to my small issue? Or what else might cause the bumper/skirt not to release?

thx 4 reading
    /mima

#103 10 years ago

Take the pop apart and see how it is different than the other 2.

It could be cracked, wrong spring, wrong wafer.......

#104 10 years ago

Post pictures so we can see what is wrong.

#105 10 years ago

vid1900: Thank you for the swift reply!
    I looked more closely on the backside of the popers, it seemed that that gap was to wide between the two connectors. I narrowed the gap a bit and the response was a lot better. If i find the right gap-setting i think that will do the trick for all three popers. Otherwise i´ll post pics and get back with more Qs. Thanx again for the fast and friendly response too a pin-noob

#106 10 years ago

Here's one I just discovered, much to my dismay!

Late EM Gottlieb pops have a mounting plate fastened to the underside of the playfield. This seems like a great idea because now the pop coil brackets can mount with a machine screw into the plate rather than a wood screw into the playfield. Along with that, the pop body can also be attached to the plate with a long machine screws again instead of wood screws into the playfield. This seems like a much more heavy duty setup than say Williams or Bally of the same era.

Here is the problem.

The mounting plate adds between 1/16 and 1/8 inch to the distance the pop coil bracket is below the playfield. This in turn requires a ring with that much longer rods to accommodate this added distance. This is all good and well unless the parts are no longer available! The standard rings will mount up but they sit just a little lower below the pop cap than the correct rings do. This kind of works but it does make a significant difference in the performance of the bumper. It is much less responsive because the ball crashes into the ring at the same time or even before it crashes into the pop skirt to trigger it.

Steve at PBR told me that it could be another year before he can make another batch of the correct rings. In the meantime, I am using the "wrong" ones and having a hard time getting them to perform well.

Anyone else run into this and have some tips for me? The pop skirts are new and the spoon switch is adjusted as close as I can get it. Everything is clean and operates smoothly.

I'll take some pics of two pops side by side. One with the correct ring and one with the incorrect ring. Hope to post that tonight.

#107 10 years ago

Yep there is a longer ring and rod for a bunch of Gotlieb years.

Your easiest fix is probably to cut a Coupling Nut to the additional length and use a machine screw to fasten the yokes rather than the lock nut.

coupling nut-06.jpgcoupling nut-06.jpg
    3 weeks later
    #108 10 years ago

Quick question if you are familiar with Data East Turbo Bumper designs:

When I recently completely rebuilt the Turbo Bumper assemblies (which was very easy other than the pain in the ass to get to them as all the ramps above had to be removed), I found the fiber yokes were stacked underneath the metal ones (i.e. closer to the coil), yet the manual "sort of" shows the metal yoke underneath, albeit in a very poorly drawn diagram where you can't really see conclusively the positioning. I went with what appeared to be the case in the manual and stacked the fiber yoke on top. Is this correct?

The reason I ask is I've seen other brands of machines where the person has the yoke on bottom, and it makes me worried I guessed wrong. Thanks for your help on this!

Edit: Attached is a picture of the manual diagram. I'm beginning to suspect the manual has mistakenly labelled them backwards.

DE Turbo Bumper Diagram.jpgDE Turbo Bumper Diagram.jpg
    #109 10 years ago

Update: I did some googling and found pics of other DE games where the original fiber yoke is very definitely underneath. This means the manual diagram is either wrong or just so poorly drawn as to be unreliable. I will make the corrections immediately to my bumpers.

#110 10 years ago

Yup, it looks like the manual is wrong. Imagine that.

#111 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Yup, it looks like the manual is wrong. Imagine that.

And what's worse is Data East copy-pasted this same diagram in all their other game manuals as well. And this is not the only error I've found in these manuals.

#112 10 years ago

Proof that Stern eventually realized having detailed AND CORRECT diagrams is in fact important:

stern yokes.jpgstern yokes.jpg

1 week later
    #113 10 years ago

vids I dont suppose you have any wiring diagrams for firepower pops do you? On my project the pops that had supposidly been "rebuilt" only had some of the topside replaced. No lights in them the only wiring i could see to them was to one side (to the little metal tear drop shaped things) with a diode soldered to the other side

#114 10 years ago
    Quoted from RudeDogg1:

vids I dont suppose you have any wiring diagrams for firepower pops do you? On my project the pops that had supposidly been "rebuilt" only had some of the topside replaced. No lights in them the only wiring i could see to them was to one side (to the little metal tear drop shaped things) with a diode soldered to the other side

Need a pic to know what you've got.

#115 10 years ago

Firepower pop lamp wire colors:

Top Left pop = Red wire Yellow stripe and Yellow wire blue stripe
    Top Right = Red/Grn Yel/Blu
    Bottom Left = Red/Violet Yel/Blu
    Bottom Right = Red/Blu Yel/Blu

The banded side of the diode goes to the red wires.

#116 10 years ago

Where did you find that to? The scematic manual is confusing not helped by my machine being hacked within an inch of its life and missing cables. Ill get a pic

image.jpgimage.jpg

#118 10 years ago

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/ is the greatest effort "fan site" for any pinball machine ever.

Excellent work.

#119 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

http://www.firepowerpinball.com/ is the greatest effort "fan site" for any pinball machine ever.
    Excellent work.

Agree 100%

Then they got "the letter".......

#120 10 years ago

That is a pretty damn good site very helpful

1 week later
    #121 10 years ago

Hey Vid or anyone who has experience. Im swapping a MB playfield and I can't source staples a thin (gauge wise) as the factory used for stapling lamp leads. The thinnest I can find is like 3mm. Any place to source them easily? Also, based on my tear down photos, from the factory it appeared that the vinyl tube insulator didn't clear the pop assembly. Was I lucky or should I install it differently. Pics of how it was.image-361.jpgimage-361.jpg

#122 10 years ago

Thin staples need a stapler made for them. So you would have to buy both thin staples AND a new stapler.

If you do lots of rebuilding get an pneumatic upholstery stapler, it has a nice long nose for extra reach.

That vinyl tubing can be replaced with aquarium airline tubing from Kmart or any pet store.

#123 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Thin staples need a stapler made for them. So you would have to buy both thin staples AND a new stapler.
    If you do lots of rebuilding get an pneumatic upholstery stapler, it has a nice long nose for extra reach.
    That vinyl tubing can be replaced with aquarium airline tubing from Kmart or any pet store.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I wasn't clear in my questions. I have sourced the upholstery gun but I can't source the staples used from the factory. They are almost as thin gauge wise as a standard staple.

Understand the clear tube. My question is, from the factory, the clear tube didn't extend under and past the pop body. It should insulte the lead the entire length it passes under the pop housing, yes?/no?

#124 10 years ago

For reference, here is the thinnest gauge staple I can source against an original staple. Will this be sufficient or is it to thick for some reason?

image-854.jpgimage-854.jpg

#125 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

My question is, from the factory, the clear tube didn't extend under and past the pop body. It should insulte the lead the entire length it passes under the pop housing, yes?/no?

The factory is full of sloppy workmanship.

It is possible that a short tube got mixed in and installed.

The tubing **should** extend under the pop, but as long as it's secured against shorting out, it's fine.

#126 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The factory is full of sloppy workmanship.
    It is possible that a short tube got mixed in and installed.
    The tubing **should** extend under the pop, but as long as it's secured against shorting out, it's fine.

Excellent! Thanks Vid.

#127 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

For reference, here is the thinnest gauge staple I can source against an original staple. Will this be sufficient or is it to thick for some reason?

It will be fine.

Again, smaller staples would require a different, smaller stapler.

Many of the original staples were plated with copper that supposedly kept the corrosion down and was easy on the stapler itself. I used to have a manual stapler that used them, but I'm not sure where it is now, or where I'd buy the staples.

#128 10 years ago

Any drawbacks to using the flexible wire lamp sockets other than the issue you showed on page one?

#129 10 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Any drawbacks to using the flexible wire lamp sockets other than the issue you showed on page one?

Usually they lay to one side or the other, never straight up and centered.

I'd avoid them for pop use, unless you are on a service call and they are the only thing you have.

#130 10 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

You also might find that they are too tall once the bulb in inserted, keeping the pop cap from seating down flush with the pop body

#131 10 years ago

You can still buy the stiff ones so can't see why anyone would buy the flexible ones

#132 10 years ago

Hey vid great guide. Really helped when I rebuilt my pops on my SWE1.

Now I'm working on my medusa. When I turn on the game one of the pop bumpers fires randomly on its own. I checked the switch to see if it's making contact with vibration and it's not. I'm really not sure where to look? Could it be in the board? Like a short to ground and fires the coil? I'm not sure how to go about this problem.

Thanks in advance.

#133 10 years ago
    Quoted from RudeDogg1:

You can still buy the stiff ones so can't see why anyone would buy the flexible ones

Price for one, and it seems some games came with the flexible leads. Pretty sure de games came with them.

#134 10 years ago

I just happened to buy the flexible ones over the stiff ones for a TZ. The thinking was (1) I can use a screw with a washer to position the wires and tighten them as needed and the positioning is reversible. (2) I don't need to use stapples and say clear tubing. (3) the soldering is off the wood and cleaner.

#135 10 years ago
    Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Now I'm working on my medusa. When I turn on the game one of the pop bumpers fires randomly on its own. I checked the switch to see if it's making contact with vibration and it's not. I'm really not sure where to look? Could it be in the board? Like a short to ground and fires the coil? I'm not sure how to go about this problem.

That is usually the little disc capacitor that is on the pop switch.

Cut one leg of the disc cap (NOT THE DIODE) and see if the problem is fixed. If it is, replace the cap (.047uf 50v non-polarized )

#136 10 years ago

Thanks vid! You are the man. I clipped the capacitor and that took care of it. I got a few replacement ones from radio shack. I think I'm going to replace them all.

Thanks again.

1 month later
    #137 10 years ago

Thanks for another great guide, vid. I'd replaced a couple of broken lamp sockets in pops, so I knew a little already, but this guide taught me more.

Coincidence: a friend came over 2 nights & ago & I noticed that my Meteor pop didn't light up. A few pics on-line showed that it lights up. (The higher coil-less bumpers do light up at the appropriate times.) I opened up the pop & saw no evidence of there ever being a socket or wiring for a bulb in it.

I had an extra 555 socket with the sheet metal leads from my previous pop work. I installed it carefully per your guide & wired it in parallel w/ the GI 44/47 bulbs.

Voila! Now my pop lights up. It actually bothers me a bit--I'm not used to it yet... :]

Thanks,
    -Jason

#138 10 years ago

Nice guide Vid. I am going to do this for my CV pop bumpers. The only question I have is what to order. For flipper rebuilds you can buy a kit that has all the parts you need. Can you buy a CV pop bumper rebuild kit? If not what is the list of parts that should I buy for a genuine rebuild? Thanks

#139 10 years ago

I don't think anyone sells a kit for specifically for CV.

If you call Terry at PL, I'm sure he can make one for you.

#140 10 years ago

bump- thx for the thread, awsome work as always from you!

#141 10 years ago

Yea, I often wondered why Terry didn't have pop bumper rebuild kits like he does for flipper rebuilds...

#142 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

Yea, I often wondered why Terry didn't have pop bumper rebuild kits like he does for flipper rebuilds...

Probably because most pops are the same parts since the 70s, whereas flippers changed coil stops/springs/switches every few years.

Action Pinball sells the entire assembly for many old games, but most people don't need to replace everything.

#144 10 years ago

Boy, someone is going to be mad at me sometime down the road. I used red loctite 27100 when replacing my flipper bushings and noticed 30 mins later that I installed one of the bushing on the wrong side of the bracket and while correcting my mistake I twisted off one of the screw heads, luckily I drilled it out with no damage to the bracket screw hole threads.
    Later Upon reading the loctite directions I learned 500 degrees is required to separate the parts.
    Does this mean I can set my iron above 500 and heat the screw/nut and unscrew them?

#145 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jwjsr:

Boy, someone is going to be mad at me sometime down the road. I used red loctite 27100 when replacing my flipper bushings and noticed 30 mins later that I installed one of the bushing on the wrong side of the bracket and while correcting my mistake I twisted off one of the screw heads, luckily I drilled it out with no damage to the bracket screw hole threads.
    Later Upon reading the loctite directions I learned 500 degrees is required to separate the parts.
    Does this mean I can set my iron above 500 and heat the screw/nut and unscrew them?

That should work just fine.

2 weeks later
    #146 10 years ago

I'm doing a playfield swap on my Space Shuttle and it's time to start on the pops. I'm having a hard time getting the finned-shank screws in though - they're the three-per that hold the main bracket on the bottom side.

The holes are drilled on my CPR playfield, but I'm thinking drilling them out a bit more is going to be necessary. Is this typical? Can anyone recommend a bit size? I don't want to remove any more material than necessary.

Then, they are just pounded in from the top side? Is that right?

thanks!

#147 10 years ago

Just did a test hole in a scrap playfield with a 9/64" bit. Seems like a good size, but man, pounding them in looks scary - one slip of the hammer away from banging the pristine artwork side..

#148 10 years ago

Ok, so I cheated a bit and used airplane tools...

- 9/64" bit to widen out the holes a bit.
    - Microstop countersink cage and countersink cutter to countersink the holes to the size of the head of the screw. This allows the head of the screw to sit flush with the playfield.
    - Rivet gun to set the screw. Not gonna use a hammer if I don't have to! This will set the screw flush with the playfield very nicely and super easily without any damage around the screw head. The tape on the mushroom set is there to prevent scratches on the playfield.

It turned out great!

I used these screws from Marco: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4506-01106-24B

PopBumperScrews-3.jpgPopBumperScrews-3.jpg PopBumperScrews-4.jpgPopBumperScrews-4.jpg PopBumperScrews-5.jpgPopBumperScrews-5.jpg PopBumperScrews-6.jpgPopBumperScrews-6.jpg PopBumperScrews-7.jpgPopBumperScrews-7.jpg
    1 month later
    #149 10 years ago

Hey Vid,
    Great tutorial. Quick question: On my Gottlieb Sinbad SS I have 2 pop bumpers that have a loose mylar base next to the playfield that has allowed dirt underneath causing some playfield wear. I bought 2 new mylar pieces from pbr to replace when I rebuild the pops but they do not appear to have an adhesive side to it. What would be the best way to adhere them under the base? Or are they not to be adhered? Thanks again.

#150 10 years ago

I'd use the adhesive version, as like you have seen, the loose rings gather abrasive crud under them.

I like the sheet Mylar you cut yourself:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFT

There are 657 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.