3 bay (resized).jpg
board2 (resized).jpg
supply (resized).jpg
3A4FC091-431F-43F6-A84A-4CFAE8734C64 (resized).jpeg
EB6D6648-4D78-451B-BACA-51E3B1AF41D9 (resized).jpeg
green led (resized).jpg
cage (resized).jpg
put back (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zug1619.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1056 1 year ago

Hi Vid,

Just got a Time Warp and wanted to Fuse the Bridge rectifiers (Like i read at the beginning of this thread). I removed the transformer cage and saw the blue wires to the right bridge have been hacked. They also look like they heated up...and have a couple heat melts in the sheathing.

I want to add fuse holders there, but the wires don't have enough "meat on the bone"...i think i need to splice and lengthen the wires?

Is there a best method for this other than splicing and soldering and rewrapping with electrical tape? That sounds sketchy.

I'm also considering replacing both bridge rectifiers, is that a LUG 35A 400V?

Thank you

rectifier burnt wires (resized).jpgrectifier burnt wires (resized).jpg
#1059 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

The wires are comming directly from inside the transformer.
It is very hard to replace them nicely (afaik).
It is obvious that the previous owner had bridge rectifier problems in the past.
The blue wires are the power wires for the controled lamps (18V).
Extending those wires would be you best option.
See if you can find blue heat shrink tubing and put that over the damaged wires.
Adding fuses to the rectifiers is an absolute MUST DO to avoid a fire hazard.
My Bridge Board is also a great solution.
Replacing the large cap, rectifiers and adding the fuses all on one board.
There is a nice image in the Blackout club topic:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/blackout-club-fans-welcome/page/11#post-5277371
The Bridge Board is available from Big Daddy Enterprises and Marco Specialties.
Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

Peter,

Thank you. I found some blue heat shrink wrap on ebay...should i be looking for any particular size? 1/8 or 1/4 or 1/2 "? I'm thinking 1/4 ". Does it need any heat or volt specs? Here's what i found real quick ebay.com link: itm

I looked on Marco to see the bridge board, but i couldn't find it I did find these bridge rectifiers https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/KBPC3504-L do you know if they are good replacements? As far as I can tell they are.

Do you think the best way to extend the wires is still to just solder a new wire? The blue wires are braded wire, should i use more of that or can i use some 18 gauge solid core?

- Dan the Painter

#1065 1 year ago

Slochar, Rich, Peter and Flashball,

Thank you all for the quick feedback. All this info is gonna make it so much easier for me!

Question on the Bridge Board. It says it replaces the large Cap as well as fusing the 18v and 32 volt soldnoid circuits.

My plan is do the caps and all other upgrades on the Power Supply Board according to Vid and Clay's guides. What Cap is 6C1? Is that one of the caps on the power board or is it a different cap?

Think i'll order one from Bid Daddy and get this show started

Dan the Painter

#1066 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Don't use solid core wire.

thanks!

18 Gauge braded is what i want?

#1071 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

yes 18 gauge braided is fine. Make a lineman's splice and solder it, then slip the heatshrink on, heatshrink with a heat gun if you have one if not you can use the soldering iron if you are quick and don't touch the heat shrink tubing. (Match/lighter will work too)
Then attach the other end to whatever it's going to.... the bridge board connector I'm guessing. I'd leave about 10" extra for the future.

I do have a heat gun! (as a painter, i use it daily)

Thanks for the clear directions

Dan the Painter

#1072 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Yes, the 6C1 is the super large 30000 uF cap and is used for the controled lamps.
My Bridge Board also replaces that big cap.
The caps on the Power Supply you will have to do yourself.
Please goto my website and click on the Bridge Board image.
Then you can select the language of your choice and follow the instructions for a game like Fire Power.
There is also a pdf file available with more information.
http://home.kpn.nl/inkochnito/index.htm
Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

Peter,

The instructions were very clear and answered the next set of questions i had

Ordering my Bridge Board now. I'll update with pics when its complete.

Thanks for all the info!

Dan the Painter

1 week later
#1073 1 year ago

While I wait for the Bridge Board to get here, I noticed the J1 connector has a wire pulled out of it. The bottom right one. I am assuming that the gray w/white stripe wire is a ground...as it's been connected to the screw hole.

Can anyone confirm? Or maybe I'm wrong?

I can tell it's a female connector...but not sure on size? Marco has .93 and .62...is it one of these? They also have .156, but that looks like a different style.

Lastly, is there an easy tool to remove the old terminal? was just gonna pull with needle nose or maybe a paper clip.

Dan the Painter

J1 (resized).jpgJ1 (resized).jpggrey and white (resized).jpggrey and white (resized).jpg
#1075 1 year ago

gonna print out this schematic and keep close by...

thanks again!

#1076 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

yes 18 gauge braided is fine. Make a lineman's splice and solder it, then slip the heatshrink on, heatshrink with a heat gun if you have one if not you can use the soldering iron if you are quick and don't touch the heat shrink tubing. (Match/lighter will work too)
Then attach the other end to whatever it's going to.... the bridge board connector I'm guessing. I'd leave about 10" extra for the future.

Thought i'd include this link on the lineman's splice.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2022/01/09/the-linemans-splice-how-to-make-reliable-electrical-connections-in-your-vehicles-wiring-harness-in-6-steps/

#1078 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

They are 0.93 molex connectors. You need the socket side (pin side is on the board). They are pretty tough to get out of the housing without the proper tool. [quoted image]

Thanks Schwaggs.

Ordering some now.

#1079 1 year ago

Peter,

The bridge board arrived and i started cutting away the components as per your instructions.

I think i know where all the wires go...except for one or maybe two (the ground wires on the new 5 pin J4 connector.) I don't see where they come from? Am i reusing the lose wire that went from the old rectifier to the big cap? There's a lose violet and one black.

Im pretty sure the 2 grounds for the 4 pin J3 connector come from the old J2 power supply connector.

But i don't see any other black wires? Where do they come from / lead to? I see you wrote you added an extra ground and it goes back to the back box...im assuming that is one of the 5 pin J4 ground wires i see in the picture...but where does the other one go or come from?

heres a pic. The 2 black wires you can see are from the old J2 connector from the power supply...

ground (resized).jpgground (resized).jpg
#1081 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Not all the ground connections on the Bridge Board are used.
I made some extra ground connections to make the connectors different (2-3-4 and 5 pins).

The lose violet and black wires are the wires that were beteen the large cap and the bridge rectifiers.
Those are left over and not needed.

Correct. Like I said, not all ground connections are used.

I added the extra ground connection to any of the GND connections on the Bridge Board.
It does not matter which one as they are all connected.
The other end of the ground wire I connected to the metal back plate.
If for some reason the old J2 connector falls off, you lose the ground connection for the lamps and solenoids.
That is why you should add it to the metal back plate.[quoted image]

Peter,

thanks so much for taking the time to be as clear as you have. I really appreciate it. Before i read your response, I went back and reread the Blackout link you posted. And in his pic, there were only 2 ground wires, both coming from the J2. One went to one of the 4 pin GNDs and one to one of the 5 pin's. I am obviously a newbie but feel like I'm learning a ton with everyone's help. I will use the loose black wire and add a ground.

Will post pics when done.

#1082 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

They are 0.93 molex connectors. You need the socket side (pin side is on the board). They are pretty tough to get out of the housing without the proper tool. [quoted image]

Schwaggs, the molex remover tool came and it made the job super easy...I did stab my-self in the finger but got the connector out without damaging the housing!

Re-crimping the CT and adding back to the housing was super easy too.

Many thanks!

#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Which game?

Ya those tools are great!

Time Warp

#1087 1 year ago

Ok. Got it all installed. I really wanna turn it on to see the green lights, but I'm gonna wait until I rebuild the power supply first as per this guide.

Here's a bunch of pics if anyone was interested.

First 2 pics are of me splicing the blue wires from the transformer. I also wrapped the red wires as there were 2 spots that looked like maybe a soldering iron melted the insulation.

I also moved the GI fuses to the left little to fit the board where Inko shows on his firepower instructions.

splice 2 (resized).jpgsplice 2 (resized).jpgsplice 3 (resized).jpgsplice 3 (resized).jpginko 1 (resized).jpginko 1 (resized).jpginko 2 (resized).jpginko 2 (resized).jpgput back (resized).jpgput back (resized).jpgcage (resized).jpgcage (resized).jpg
#1089 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

If you want to see the green leds, you can fire it up.
Just leave J1 on the power supply disconnected.
The leds should light.
The wires look good.
It is also a good practice when rebuilding the power supply to leave everything disconnected but J1 and J2.
Check the voltages on the power supply board to be sure they are oke.
Then you can switch off the game and reconnect all the connectors.
Peter

Ok, I was wondering about that.

To be clear...All i need to disconnect at this time is the J1?

What if i disconnect all the connectors on the power supply but the J2? Will the green still light? Just curious.

I"ll try later tonight after work

Thanks again Peter!!

- Dan the Painter

#1091 1 year ago

Green Lights!!!

green led (resized).jpggreen led (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1096 1 year ago

Finally Got my Power Supply Board rebuilt (I'm slow) . Still haven't turned the game on as I still got to rebuild the MPU...But here's what the DMM was showing when I tested it. Wanted to see what you guys thought.

12 Volt section...According to Clay's guides...should read between 10 and 14...Mine was 13.87...Looks real good!
5 Volt section...According to Clay's guides...should read between 4.9 and 5.2...Mine was 5.032...Looks real good!
High Voltage sections...According to Clay's guides J5 Pin 3...should read between -90 and -105...Mine was -92.6...Looks real good!
and J5 Pin 4...should read between +90 and +105...Mine was 93.1...Looks real good!
Lamp Voltage...According to Clay's guides...J4 Pin 5-8...should read between 16-20...Mine was 20.87...A little High
Solenoid Voltage...According to Clay's guides...J3 Pin 6-9...should read between 28-38...Mine was 40.79...A little High

Looks like most are real good! I have a small concern with the Lamp and Solenoid voltages as they are a little high. What do you think? Am I done or should i be making sure that all the Voltages are firmly inside those ranges? What do I even need to do to get them lower?

Here's a pic showing the rebuild board. I did all the steps on this forum.

Next is the 40 Pin connector and replacing the ROM chip sockets.

supply (resized).jpgsupply (resized).jpg
#1098 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Don't worry about either at all, neither little high is significant. Remember they're unloaded voltages and transformers are notoriously imprecise components.

Thats what i wanted to hear!

Onto the 40 Pin and SCANBE sockets!

5 months later
#1099 9 months ago

Ok...Finally getting around to working on the boards again (I'm super slow). Removing the SCANBE pins is a PIA. I got the hang of it for most but there's usually one on each row that either breaks or just won't come loose...anyway...i got them all finally. Ended up getting new soldering tips, including some more narrow ones, and that helped a bunch.

got a quick question...and i think i know the answer but just curious...again

I accidentally removed the plastic from one of the unused SCANBE sockets...even though Vid said not to bother with
My question is what's the easiest course of action now?

1. Leave it alone, just make sure none of the pins are bent and touching
2. Remove the pins and leave the holes empty...(Pretty sure they dont need a pin in there for the signal to pass thru)
3. Remove the pins and put in new connectors...even though they will never be used
4. Leave the pins in there, and short snip the tips off so they can't ever touch in the future.

Any issues if i do number 4?

What do you think is the best course? Is there another option I'm not thinking of? I know it's really hard to get the pins out after i short snip them (should i need the board for another game, but i don't think i care about that).

Dan the Painter

board2 (resized).jpgboard2 (resized).jpg
#1102 9 months ago

thanks Joe

that's what I'm leaning towards. Just snip it off and leave a small leg of the pin forever inside.

You dont see any issues with this...right?

#1103 9 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

When I rebuild these boards I replace all the scanbe sockets even if the current machine doesn’t use them. You get a finished board that looks great and if you happen to want to install in a different machine with a different ROM configuration all the sockets are already done. The extra sockets don’t add much cost and it doesn’t take that much more time to do them.
If it isn’t used you don’t have to. For me I want the boards to look as good as they work and prefer the clean look of new sockets and keep the option open for easily using them if needed.

Yeah.

Im on the fence...But you do make it sound more like the "right" way to do it.

#1105 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Id just leave the pins as it.
If someone ever want's to remove them, the springs will make them fall, rather than get sucked up into the desolder gun

Thanks Vid.

It seems like there's several ways to tackle this...

Does anyone see a problem with any of the ways i mentioned? Like, will it not work if i do it that way?

#1107 9 months ago

thanks for all the input everyone

#1109 9 months ago
Quoted from Mthomasslo:

How about 5. Carefully put the old plastic cover back on?

lol...can you make a video of that? thats gotta be impossible

#1111 9 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

I pop the socket plastic covers off and back on all the time to inspect the pin receptors. Pretty easy really and per Mthomasslo is what I'd do in your case if you don't want to swap the whole socket.

Ok...my only concern is that many of the terminals got bent when removing. Would you still attempt after you bent them...i would try to bend them back first.

slightly different topic...while looking at at my ROM chips...(i have a time warp too like this thread) i have different chips.
Vids picture has the TIME WARP chip in the 3rd bay, to the right of the ROM 2 chip...and nothing in the above 3 bays.

Mine has nothing in the 3rd bay, to the right of the ROM 2 chip (thats actually the scanbe that i removed and left traces behind.)

I have chips in all the above 3 bays...and Vid has nothing in those.

any thoughts?

3 bay (resized).jpg3 bay (resized).jpg
#1112 9 months ago

and the 40 pin female seems to be sold out at Mouser, digi key and Great Plains...and i cant find at Marco.

Any other suggestions? ( i thought i had already ordered it...but ordered 2 sets of male header pins

#1114 9 months ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

You can burn the game specific code into a single 2716. You do so by eliminating those three chips and inserting the 2716 into your currently empty socket location. (And on earlier board revisions, adding a jumper wire / cutting a trace)

Oh ok. that makes sense...Thanks!

So, was the 3 chips, like you see in mine, the original way? I've seen a few other pictures of the TIME WARP mpu and all have just one TW chip like Vid's.

As far as you can tell...does anything look wrong with mine? (I am still learning and havent even turned this game on yet)

#1115 9 months ago
Quoted from zug1619:

and the 40 pin female seems to be sold out at Mouser, digi key and Great Plains...and i cant find at Marco.
Any other suggestions? ( i thought i had already ordered it...but ordered 2 sets of male header pins

After a second and third try...I did find these at marco...not the cheapest but they are in stock!

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=09+52+3102

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,059.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zug1619.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6?tu=zug1619 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.