3 bay (resized).jpg
board2 (resized).jpg
supply (resized).jpg
3A4FC091-431F-43F6-A84A-4CFAE8734C64 (resized).jpeg
EB6D6648-4D78-451B-BACA-51E3B1AF41D9 (resized).jpeg
green led (resized).jpg
cage (resized).jpg
put back (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_outlane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#974 2 years ago
Quoted from thetonywarren:

Hope Im not hijacking this thread, and I do realize it's YEARS old, but I'll try anyways.....
First, many thanks to vid1900 for starting this thread, extremely helpful and a good read.....
I am a new owner of a Black Knight. It's the version with the transformer in the cabinet, not the backbox, but of course it was plagued by the power supply issues with the burned connectors and janky wiring. I have read through a great deal of this thread and have done the modification of the AC input for the bridge rectifiers...I have also replaced the bridge rectifiers with new ones just to be safe.....
I have also repinned the GI connector with new, and put new pin headers on the power supply.... Also installed new AC input connector on the board and repinned a new AC input cable connector.
My next question relates to the GI output and fusing the separate lines....I have included a picture of what the machine looked like when I got it and now how it looks after the new fuse blocks....
Statement 1: I have changed all incandescent lamps to 2SMD LED's from Comet Pinball
Question 1: am I doing this right?
Question 2: I understand that the GI fuse was a 20A fast acting fuse, should the separate lines to the individual lighting circuits be fast acting or slow blow?
Question 3: I currently have 5A slow blow fuses for the individual LED lighting circuits. I understand from reading the post that I should do a better job of sizing the fuses correctly. ( I will be taking current readings from each separate lighting circuit and sizing accordingly....) this is especially relevant to my situation as I have added spotlights on my playfield, upper and lower, as well as some comet matrix lighting strips for additional GI.
Statement: 2 I reveiwed this document for some help with fuse sizing and will be sizing my fuses to be 135% of my FLA (full load amps) on EACH circuit.....
https://uk.trgcomponents.com/uploads/media/FuseSelectionGuide_RevA_01.pdf
Question 4: again, am I doing this right? Please respond with any suggestions and/or feedback, it is all welcome, and appreciated.
Thanks!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Slow blow fuses are only needed if you have coils or motors in the circuit. Fast acting is what you need for lighting only. And I would not oversize a slow blow fuse ever. Not sure where you got the 135% FLA thing?? Maybe for fast acting fuses only?? As long as you don't exceed the fuse ratings in the manual, you will be fine. Separating the circuits will require measuring the current. You sound like you're doing things correctly.

#977 2 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

A small amount of apples to oranges but still a fair comparison, IMO:
When Williams ditched the single 20A fuse on the power supply for the GI circuit, and branched it into 4 separate fuses, they went with 5A SB. Not FB.
I've had a bit of trouble pawing through online PDF's for proof, but my Pinbot for example, has a factory-installed label on the board mounting plate next to the GI fuse holder very clearly stating 5A SB for each position. From this, I have modeled my 4 fuse modifications on earlier games to use 5A SB's.
Richard

I suppose it was to prevent nuisance failures (commercial use). For home use, fast acting would be fine. Less chance you're going to blow something up line. I learned that slow blow fuses do NOT always spare the IC chips up line on a solenoid circuit with MOSFET drivers (newer boards).

1 week later
#985 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Operator replacement lifetime fuse.[quoted image]

May as well buy the full collection!
b9U-_hxz8V20Jo1UDWnLLHY7cEqCj2v074YiCkgfDeM (resized).jpgb9U-_hxz8V20Jo1UDWnLLHY7cEqCj2v074YiCkgfDeM (resized).jpg

** I use the audio/visual auto alerts mostly.

2 months later
#994 2 years ago
Quoted from BuuBot:

I got the new MPU/Driver combo board from rottendog today. Plugged it in and BAM it works! How exciting! I'm sure the problem with the old board had something to do with the ic's. Now I get to do the fun stuff like rebuilding some flippers and cleaning contacts for switches. Does anyone here have any good diagrams for the wiring in the cabinet? I've noticed a few loose wires and am having trouble finding their homes.

Sell your old boards online!

3 months later
#1025 1 year ago
Quoted from noopy:

I went ahead and moved the fuses to the AC input side of the rectifiers instead of the DC output side. I don’t have any 8A fuses on hand so I might just try the 5A and see if is enough for Gorgar.
It also looks like the J2 header on my power board is missing and the - DC wire from my lamp rectifier and one of the black wires from the large cap have been (poorly) soldered directly to the board bridging 4 of the J2 pins is that how it’s supposed to be connected? They put spade connectors on the two black wires so it can be disconnected at least…
[quoted image]

Install a Solenoid Saver in it!
See post 1489 here!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/30

Also, the NMP drop target retrofit kit!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr_outlane.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6?tu=mr_outlane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.