3 bay (resized).jpg
board2 (resized).jpg
supply (resized).jpg
3A4FC091-431F-43F6-A84A-4CFAE8734C64 (resized).jpeg
EB6D6648-4D78-451B-BACA-51E3B1AF41D9 (resized).jpeg
green led (resized).jpg
cage (resized).jpg
put back (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#75 10 years ago

I'll link to this in the "post purchase checklist" -- really appreciate the step-by-step description/pics
-mof

1 year later
#207 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I didn't listen to vid and my Millionaire Pin started on fire today. The bridge rectifiers weren't fused and they started on fire and started to fuse together. Burnt wires from the transformer up to the BR.

Sorry to hear that. You are not the only one who has been "putting off" putting the safety fuses in.
-mof

1 month later
#237 9 years ago

Vid -- Todd has a very interesting idea at 3:33 in... What are your thoughts on this bullet proofing idea?

He suggests removing the single 20a fuse for the lamps, and install 4 individual 5a fuses for each line. (for all Williams 1977-1982 (roughly))

-mof

2 months later
#274 9 years ago

Dear vid,
In the spirit of future-proofing your pins...
Can you please explain why you recommend replacing most 30-40year old caps, but not the big blue one? (30,000 uf)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/30000-uf-cap-substitute-for-bk?tu=vid1900

thanks,
mof

#278 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeWarp1:

For what it does (check it out in the "power wiring" diagram at http://www.firepowerpinball.com/ under FP documents>Wiring Diagrams), and the cost/hassle it would take I don't think warrants replacing unless something really is going wonky with your lamps. It seems to act as a "smoothing cap" seeing as it comes right after the lamp rectifier.

OK, good info.
-mof

1 month later
#283 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is a useful idea.
When searching for a GI short, you often "divide and conquer" by splitting up those lines anyway, so you would be killing 2 birds with one stone.

Vid, What would Todd's 4-fused GI setup look like?

I see 4 yellow wires coming into the top of the 20a fuse, and 1 going out of the bottom?

Would you set up 4 fuse blocks, and then just have one yellow coming into each 5amp fuse? What's the best way to join up the bottom of the 4? Same wire for GI braid?

Curious: What are the unfused yellow wires on left?

-mof

201505_Gor-GI-fuse-idea.jpg201505_Gor-GI-fuse-idea.jpg

#291 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You might ask Todd for a pic, but I would imagine it would be a 4 fuse block, splitting all 4 GI circuits into separate fuses.
There are probably 4 yellow wires tied together on one side of the fuse and 4 white with yellow stripe tied together on the other side of the fuse.

4 block.jpg

Looking at my pic, I just have one yellow on the south side -- does that mean I just connect it, and then run a braid across the other 3 lugs?
-mof

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Where does that one yellow lead to?

Will have to check later.
-mof

1 month later
#326 8 years ago

Vid, can you list out what components are required to replace 3J1 and 3J2 for both the power supply board and the connectors?

I found this for 3J2, but I'm not familiar with that type of pin.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/search.asp

thanks,
-mof

#328 8 years ago

OK, so the male and female pins for the female connector are standard. But for the piece you mount on the board it has its own special pins that are built in. Then the female connector is special due to the shape.

So for a guy who already has a full collection of 0.93 parts -- I just need the new piece connected to the board and the new 6-pin female connector due to the shape. I already have the pins that will go inside the female connector.

Am I interpreting all this correctly?
Mof

#330 8 years ago

Can you recommend a resource which describes what voltages to expect and how/where to measure them on the power supply board?
thanks,
mof

Looking at a 2008 Clay guide online, I see what voltages to expect, but not where/how to measure them:

The "power supply" (that is, the transformer, the power supply board, and the backbox attached bridge rectifiers/filter capacitor) outputs the following 7 voltages:

+5vdc regulated logic power.
+12vdc unregulated, often called "unregulated 5 volts" by Williams, because on the CPU board the unregulated 12 volts gets knocked down to about 5 volts.
+18vdc lamp matrix power (for game controlled lamps).
+28vdc solenoid/flipper power.
+/- 100vdc score display power.
6.3vac General Illumination lamp power.
+50 volts DC (for flippers), Firepower2 and later, via an additional flipper power supply board.

#332 8 years ago

Ok, I did a check on my Gorgar System 6, and got the following values:

TP results on the power supply board:

3J3, solenoids, 40 VDC
3J4, lamps, 22 VDC
3J5, logic, 5 VDC
3J5, display, 90 VDC (used the updated parts to drop this voltage -- expected)
3J6, logic, 5 VDC

So, most important, logic and displays are great.

I'm wondering about lamps and solenoids -- are 22 and 40 VDC ok?

(As for the brightness and power of the solenoids they all seem perfect when playing.)

thanks for your input...
-mof

#334 8 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Coils and controlled lamps voltage has zero load.
So the voltage is a bit on the high side, as expected....

Thank you -- can someone elaborate a bit more about this response? (with respect to "having load" and which voltages should sometimes be a bit higher than normal?)
-mof

1 year later
#465 7 years ago

My Firepower worked a few games, then wouldn't. Something flaky going on (a connection?)
2amp SB would blow sometimes (put a breaker on it for now)
Recently -- wouldn't even go into audit. With the help of a friend with a few more diagnostic tools, we discovered:

1. bad 6810
2. he replaced 4 crap sockets
3. I replaced 40-pin inter-connect female and reflowed male pins and wire brushed 'em good, then cleaned 'em and applied some deoxit

Low and behold I now have a solid Firepower with no more flickering xpin displays!

Thanks for the tips, vid!
-mof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.