3 bay (resized).jpg
board2 (resized).jpg
supply (resized).jpg
3A4FC091-431F-43F6-A84A-4CFAE8734C64 (resized).jpeg
EB6D6648-4D78-451B-BACA-51E3B1AF41D9 (resized).jpeg
green led (resized).jpg
cage (resized).jpg
put back (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#596 6 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

I've been working on a sys6 firepower board. Three lamp columns are out 2,4, & 6. All transistors and things look good so does this mean I have a bad pia(IC11) or IC10. i changed out IC13 already. is there a way to ground a pin or something on the chip to see if its bad. I don't have a probe tester.
thanks!!

When does the 40 pin connector look like where the driver plugs onto the CPU board? My Blackout had 5 of the pins broken on the driver that weren't making connections.

There were also a ton of cold solder joints at the connectors around the driver board and anything like that needs to be addressed first before changing any chips. I put new connectors for the 40 pin interconnect and the fixed all the others. All of those were removed, cleaned, and I made a tool to fix them. They were cut almost flush with the board so I 3D printed a spacer to put on the back side the thickness of the board plus the amount of lead I wanted to extrude from the other side. Put each one in the vice with thin cardboard on the jaws of it and it only takes seconds to fix them. It evened out all the pins and pushed through about 1/32" which made all the difference when soldering. There is still plenty of pin on the top so the connectors still plug in ok.

Robert

6 months later
#671 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

RIP this transformer. The lamp matrix rectifier on a friend's game shorted and they didn't realize until smoke started coming out. Now it makes a nice sizzling when you plug it in.

Well at least it may be easier to replace than an entire melted harness. A good reminder to everyone how important it is to add the two fuses on the Williams games.

#676 5 years ago
Quoted from CoitusMysterioso:

Question is it normal for the spade connections on bridge rectifiers to be soldered? Both my Pinbot & F14 are soldered.
[quoted image]

They were soldered on my Pinbot and Blackout. I heated it with the soldering gun and had my son pull the one wire of each bridge while I heated it. Then used the solde wick to clean off the rest of the solder on the terminals. I had to replace the terminal on the wires but the bridges were fine. The rest of the mid was easy just adding the two fuse holders and a couple jumpers with the 1/4" terminals on both ends.

2 weeks later
#694 5 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Can someone give me a brief description of prom, rom and ic chips? What are their jobs and functions besides memory? Also which ones have to be specifically programmed for your machine?

Any of the ROM, PROM, EPROM, or EEPROM need to have the code or be programmed with the code for your specific game. If you have multiples in a game each once is different and may be different sizes so you'll need the set. That is important since there could be different versions of the code/data for your game and if you just replace one from a different version then you can cause problems. Some games share portions of code so a few chips can work across multiple games. On the early Williams the flippers ROM could be the same shared code across several games with a game specific ROM chip.

ROM - Is a chip is usually mask programmed and ordered in bulk from a chip manufacturer with the memory (code and data) set forever. Some early ones had odd pinouts and signals so that is one reason you'll see adapters so newer chips can replace them. Many have the same pinouts as the others so they act the same.

PROM - Is a one time programmable chip. Once you program it is set forever.

EPROM - Like a PROM but you can erase it by uncovering the quartz window and exposing it to UV light. That way you can reuse it if you make a mistake programming or want to load new code for a new version or different game. After programming you need to cover that window. Otherwise exposing to light over time will start to erase it. They are usually reliable but depending on a variety of things like how good the original programming device was, how it was stored, and how well it was made they will eventually degrade over time. I think most were suppose to be good for at least 25 years. Some drop out sooner and many more are still working fine way past that.

EEPROM - Like a PROM but don't have a window or exposure to UV light to erase. They are electrically erasable. Think flash devices.

I'm sure there are probably some excellent Wiki entries or sites with a lot more details on the specifics on each if you want more info.

1 week later
#707 5 years ago

I usually remove the battery holder now and install NVRAM

https://nvram.weebly.com

1 month later
#752 5 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

Intermittent sound issues with my Firepower... I guess time has come to re-cap the sound board (see hole in cap on picture below!)... But... Won't be easy to desolder caps from this huge ground plane!
[quoted image]

Check the DIP sockets on the sound card. I was having intermittent issues with my Blackout and replacing the original sockets with quality machine pin sockets fixed it.

#757 5 years ago

Those largebground planes can make removing parts a pain. I've had my son help with a second iron on the other side of the PCB for difficult ones.

1 year later
#819 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Bad diode can fail open or closed. One way will make the one bulb not light, other way will mess up other lamps in the matrix

That's what I used to think but it isn't always the case. I ran into a leaky diode for one of the lamps at the top of the playfield on my Blackout. It was odd but replacing the diode fixed it. The rest was over a dozen bad lamp sockets that I replaced.

#828 4 years ago

Is your Blackout running original boards? If so what has been done to them? Has the 40 pin interconnect been replaced? What about resoldering cracked solder joints?

5 months later
#917 3 years ago
Quoted from Jigs:

You don't need to cut any existing cabinet wires to install fuses

I think he is referring to the dual bridge board that a lot of people use. You do need to chop off the ends of the wires for that.

Nice to see someone make one with the .250" terminals to match what is on the original bridge.

#918 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

I’m considering ordering these for the Flash machine I just acquired. Seem like a good “plug and pray” upgrade instead of cutting wires and mounting fuse blocks. Supposedly they bolt right in where the original rectifiers went. [quoted image]

That should go right in place of the original bridge and looks like a good solution. I usually just install a standard fuse holder nearby, plug one of the wires from the transformer into that, then make a short jumper with .250 terminal to plug into the original bridge. In-expensive and accomplishes the same thing.

One thing to watch out for is many games have those connections soldered after they were plugged in. You have to heat them up with the iron to melt the solder in order to pull them off.

I've added the fuses on PinBot, Blackout, and soon FirePower.

#920 3 years ago
Quoted from Stephan28:

It sure looks like an idea solution albeit a little more expensive than just mounting some fuse blocks to the cabinet.
Fortunately the wires in my rectifiers aren’t soldered on so this should be an easy and quick remedy.

It looks like a nice option and I prefer not hacking up the original wiring. These look like an easy drop in replacement.

#924 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

This is a modification that "Should" have been designed into the game originally. It is a safety design that is built into any circuit with short condition possibility that has high amperage. Worrying about if it is OEM is not a consideration here. Just needs to be done.
On top of that it is an easy modification that requires no design change per-se.

Totally agree but it really doesn’t take much extra effort at all to make it looks like it belongs. These new bridge modules look like a nice clean easy way to do so. I’d use these.

3 months later
#944 3 years ago

Recently I’ve run into an odd issue on a System 3 MPU in a Williams Hot Tip machine. The board is extremely clean and recently had a new 40-pin connector set and new DIP sockets installed.

The board doesn’t always boot. If I shut off the game and turn it back on it usually just comes up an plays normally without issues.

Read about the factory mod to the reset section of the MPU to remove c27, r30, and r40. Then add a 10k resistor. This board already has this mod done and appears factory.

Any other known reset mods for the System 3 boards or items to check?

#946 3 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

If you've done all of that, I'm assuming you already proofed out the power supply?(check 5v output, reflow header pins as needed and maybe recap it)

I completely went through the driver and power supply as well. I'm going to go back over all the boards on the bench again just to be sure and will check the resistors and transistors in the reset circuit in case any are bad. I typically don't have to touch those but don't want to assume they are ok since it isn't consistent when booting.

After that I will probably try my spare power supply and driver to see if that happens to clear things up. May pop in a different 6800 CPU since that is an AMI brand and I've run into issue with their PIA chips. Seems odd that it is just the initial booting of the machine. Once it is up it runs fine.

I did install a Weebly NVRAM module in it and could try going back to a regular 5101 RAM to see if that makes a difference.

Also curious if anyone has tried to do bypass some of the bus drivers like the change in the later System 6 boards and if that applies and would be a good thing to do on the earlier boards like the system 3-4

#947 3 years ago

It's looking like it may be just a flaky AMI 6800 CPU chip. Swapped it out and it seems better. Need to do additional tests tomorrow evening.

1 year later
#981 2 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

Interesting point. But, not all of us are swapping to LED's. My games are all still loaded with incandescent bulbs, original type displays, original type boards, etc. Not really interested in changing them. But that's me!
Richard

I’m in that group for most of my machines except for all the bulbs behind the backglass which I have swapped out for non-ultrabright frosted LEDs on many games. Stay with a shade of white to avoid color bombing.

I guess it is good to think about reducing the fuse size if you’ve really reduced the load. Just want to make sure the fuse is the weakest link. Don’t want any wires or traces burning up on the boards.

I can’t recall hearing of any LEDs failing shorted but on these older Williams have had to replace lots of lamp sockets. Many of those loosen up and cause shorts. Smaller fuse soul just open sooner if that occurs.

#984 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Operator replacement lifetime fuse.[quoted image]

That is just like the fuse that was in one of the holders in my Asteroids Deluxe monitor board when I bought it. Luckily the 1N400x fuse downstream acted as the secondary fuse protecting the rest.

2 months later
#995 2 years ago
Quoted from ScottThePhotog:

So I've been working on a TriZone (system 6) and troubleshooting why it will not boot.
I have no LED activity at all. I've confirmed a good 5V at test point 9, as well as a good 5V on pins 8 & 35 on the CPU chip (IC1). I moved onto the chip that drives the LEDs, IC2. I can manually light the LEDs by applying 5V, so I know they are good. Does IC2 do anything else besides drive the LEDs? Would it prevent the game from booting?
There is no battery damage on the boards, and I currently have no batteries in it. I know on System 4 boards that I have worked on, they were able to run without batteries. I also have the original ROM and PROM chips in it. Are those known to fail? I'm leaning towards buying a new set of ROM chips but I really want to avoid just shotgunning parts at this point.
Things I've done:
-Confirmed 5V and 12V sources are good
-Replaced all Scanbe sockets
-Re-flowed all connectors on MPU and driver board
-Double checked that the ROM and PROM chips were in the correct locations
-Using an O-scope, i confirmed that I have activity on all legs of the CPU, PIA, RAM, ROM, and PROM chips, as well as activity across the 40 pin connector.
-Using an O-scope, checked the test points on the MPU against the test point readouts in the schematics. (Those are all good).

Did you replace the 40-pin connector on both boards? If it has never been replaced that really needs to be done to ensure it is reliable.

As far as not booting are any of the PIA chips, processor, or 5101 chips AMI brand? Those have high failure rates. If so I would start with the 5101 chip then the PIA chips. If I run into an early board set with those I’ll pull them all out to test and then put in sockets.

Just fixed a non booting machine due to a bad AMI 6821 on the driver.

1 week later
#997 1 year ago
Quoted from ScottThePhotog:

Thanks for the advice. 40-pin connector is done. I'll double check the PIA, processor, and 5101 chips to see if the AMI brand. Good to know to start with the 5101 if it is an AMI. I'm also going to buy some new 2716 Eprom chips, a burner, and just burn new roms. There have been other times I've needed roms and I really just need to bite the bullet and buy a burner. I'll use it again for sure. Any experience with the $60 LAQIYA TL866Ⅱ burner on Amazon? It seems well rated.

Check the 5101 no matter what brand it is. The CPU and PIA are suspect if AMI brand.

The TL866II is a handy unit and well worth the price. The logic chip test function works good and shows what pins have failed on a chip if just a single gate is bad so you know what part failed. Has trouble with some open collector chips so it may flag those bad when they are not. I use a different tester on those.

In regards to EPROM chips that programmer works well for reading most EPROM chips and to verify against know images. As far as programming replacement chips it depends. Some of the newer low voltage EPROM chips and programmable devices are ok. However chips like the 2716 no and would not trust it to properly program those or any older device that needs 21V or 25V. There are mods that are supposed to help but I just use an older programmer for those early devices.

So that TL866II is a good device that I like and use but you have to understand and work within its limits.

#999 1 year ago
Quoted from packie1:

What do I need to look for a replacement AMI Processor and PIA chips?
Mike

Best ones would be the replacement 6821 chips from Western Design Center available from Great Plains Electronics. Too many fakes of the Motorola chips to recommend a source for those.

6 months later
#1053 1 year ago
Quoted from danczaz:

Now that Great Plains Electronics is closed where is everyone getting there WMS electronic needs? I need to but the female 40 pin connectors… what is good source?

I ordered some from Digikey. Mouser may also have some.

One thing I’d like to find more sources for are the large 18000uf axial caps just used my last one.

8 months later
#1101 9 months ago
Quoted from zug1619:

Ok...Finally getting around to working on the boards again (I'm super slow). Removing the SCANBE pins is a PIA. I got the hang of it for most but there's usually one on each row that either breaks or just won't come loose...anyway...i got them all finally. Ended up getting new soldering tips, including some more narrow ones, and that helped a bunch.
got a quick question...and i think i know the answer but just curious...again
I accidentally removed the plastic from one of the unused SCANBE sockets...even though Vid said not to bother with
My question is what's the easiest course of action now?
1. Leave it alone, just make sure none of the pins are bent and touching
2. Remove the pins and leave the holes empty...(Pretty sure they dont need a pin in there for the signal to pass thru)
3. Remove the pins and put in new connectors...even though they will never be used
4. Leave the pins in there, and short snip the tips off so they can't ever touch in the future.
Any issues if i do number 4?
What do you think is the best course? Is there another option I'm not thinking of? I know it's really hard to get the pins out after i short snip them (should i need the board for another game, but i don't think i care about that).
Dan the Painter[quoted image]

When I rebuild these boards I replace all the scanbe sockets even if the current machine doesn’t use them. You get a finished board that looks great and if you happen to want to install in a different machine with a different ROM configuration all the sockets are already done. The extra sockets don’t add much cost and it doesn’t take that much more time to do them.

If it isn’t used you don’t have to. For me I want the boards to look as good as they work and prefer the clean look of new sockets and keep the option open for easily using them if needed.

#1106 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Id just leave the pins as it.
If someone ever want's to remove them, the springs will make them fall, rather than get sucked up into the desolder gun

I would rather clip them than leave them open and sticking up on the board. The way they are more likely that someone with their hands in the backbox will bump them and start shorting address or data lines together. While easier to remove the way they are, my desoldering station has no issues pulling those through and dumping out later. To me just leaving those hanging is the least attractive option and has the highest risk.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6?tu=Robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.