Topic Stats

• 865 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 days ago by Michel_K17
  • Topic is favorited by 505 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 193 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200310_054129 (resized).jpg
shopping (resized).png
Replacing all 9pin connectors on the driver board (resized).jpg
filter (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
20200215_105911 (resized).jpg
20200215_105919 (resized).jpg
Screenshot2 (resized).png
Screenshot (resized).png
sys3-6SNDBRDs (resized).jpg
20200210_182139_B (resized).jpg
IMG_6315 (resized).JPG
IMG_20190818_102021 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190818_102042 (resized).jpg
5DC67DC9-A295-42EE-BF7D-9C097C937B18 (resized).jpeg
HighSide-PCHAN (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Giulio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

We do ALL of our soldering from the back side (non component side) of the PC board.
I'm not going to turn this into a soldering tutorial, but I'll run you through the routine.
Turn your iron up hotter than normal because the end pins often have to be soldered into the large ground plane traces, and these act as big heat sinks. I run at 480° F, but if you are a beginner, use a lower temp until you know what you are doing.
Do all the thick ground plane and power plane traces first, with your hotter temp.
Press the iron firmly against the solder pad AND pin of the socket. Wait half a second after you see the pad face turn to liquid and then add your solder. Watch, the moment you see the solder puddle shrink for a second, move the heat to the next pad. When the puddle shrinks, the solder has flowed to the other side of the board. Go ahead and check. See how you just soldered both sides of the board at once? Nice job!
Once the heavy plane traces are done, lower your soldering iron temp and hit all the rest of the pins on the SIPs.
Check your work on the component side of the board and make sure each SIP pin is soldered on both sides. If you have to touch up a solder joint on the component side, you are going to be VERY thankful you used SIPs rather than closed sockets!
Use your meter set on the continuity mode (beep mode), and check EVERY socket pin to the place it runs to on the board. Don't take a shortcut here. Do every one.
Also check each adjoining socket pin against the next to make sure you did not accidentally make a solder bridge.
Clean the flux left from the solder with isopropyl alcohol and an old toothbrush. I know, you probably don't have to, but it is the sign of professional work.
12.jpg

Another marvellous super detailed guide. It's interesting, I learned such lot of things from your tutorial. Great work.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weedsport, NY
$ 999.00
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Giulio.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside