3 bay (resized).jpg
board2 (resized).jpg
supply (resized).jpg
3A4FC091-431F-43F6-A84A-4CFAE8734C64 (resized).jpeg
EB6D6648-4D78-451B-BACA-51E3B1AF41D9 (resized).jpeg
green led (resized).jpg
cage (resized).jpg
put back (resized).jpg
There are 1,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 23.
#501 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The rom in question is the IC17 flipper rom which uses a 2532, all the rest are 2716s, is there a difference? This is a Black Knight system 7. Where would be the best source for a replacement?

2716 is a 16K rom. 2532 is a 32K rom (with a slightly different pin out).

You can get new ROMs here.

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/index.htm

Beware the during the time of jungle lord and black knight, WMS mislabeled two of the rom IC## designations. So when replacing the ROM ICs, use the drawing the MPU from a sys 7 manual to place your new ROMs. The new replacement ROMs will be labeled properly and match the drawing in the manuals.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

1 week later
#502 7 years ago

Question for you Vid: the guy that runs the local electronics store tells me that 12,000 mfd capacitors are no longer available. I saw that in your example you swapped a 12,000 for a 15,000...will that still be ok for the 12,000 on a Williams System 6 sound board? Mine looks like it's about to burst out one end and it has to go! Do you think the sound quality will be affected?

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

the guy that runs the local electronics store tells me that 12,000 mfd capacitors are no longer available.

Don't let him lie to you:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CEA-12000uF-25V-RMD

#504 7 years ago

Fair enough, I believe you! However, would a 15k work just as well or cause issues?

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

However, would a 15k work just as well or cause issues?

That cap was speced with 20% tolerance, so 15,000 is within that range.

#506 7 years ago

Thanks a bunch...I'll also remember to make sure that I don't buy into his BS next time.

1 week later
#507 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

After the caps, to finish bulletproofing the high voltage section we need to swap out some diodes and resistors. Remember, you only need to do this if you are using high voltage score displays.
First we swap the 100v 1N4764 Diodes with 91v 1N4763 (Z2 and Z4). This dims the displays slightly, but makes them last 10x longer, a very fair trade off figuring how expensive displays are nowadays. Note that the Diodes have polarity. The banded end goes towards the top of the board.
Next, Williams recommended that the 680 ohm resistors (R2 and R5) get changed out to 1.2K ohm 1/2 watt resistors.
Finally, R1 and R4 are usually stressed. Replace these with 39k ohm 1 watt flameproof resistors. Solder them slightly above the board surface for better airflow.

Vid, it appears that the kit from Great Plains contains all the upgrades that you suggested for the high-voltage section. Can you confirm? I'd like to purchase the kit, as it is far easier than hunting down everything individually.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Downloads/W3-11_HV_Kit.pdf

#508 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Vid, it appears that the kit from Great Plains contains all the upgrades that you suggested for the high-voltage section. Can you confirm? I'd like to purchase the kit, as it is far easier than hunting down everything individually.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Downloads/W3-11_HV_Kit.pdf

Yep, lots of people have bought those kits and they work great.

#509 7 years ago

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Vid! I look forward to bulletproofing/upgrading my jungle lord!!

#510 7 years ago

Just started replacing the caps on my Firepower soundboard. Also checked the fuses, and someone installed 6 amp ones when they should be 4 amp. Just like Vid has said before, don't assume anything about who has done what previously!

#511 7 years ago

So I replaced all the caps on my sound board. It appears to work just fine. I had a question though: Capacitor C12's orientation on the Firepower.com soundboard schematic from Phil Butcher lists the polarity as being from negative at top to positive at bottom. My board, however, has the positive side plus symbol printed on the top mounting hole. I mounted the capacitor as per what the board listed, not the schematic. The cap that was there was quite small and old, and I could not decipher which end of it was which. Does anyone (or Vid) know why this discrepancy exists? Is it an error in the schematic or the board itself? Which is correct?
Recapped board (minus zip tie!)Recapped board (minus zip tie!)

#512 7 years ago

Interesting. I looked at my prints as well and the negative side is up. I also looked at the pictures of my sound board (Blackout, same board) and I have the negative up. I'm sure i soldered them in according to the markings on the board.

#513 7 years ago

I'll have to get a good quality, up close shot tonight.

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Just started replacing the caps on my Firepower soundboard. Also checked the fuses, and someone installed 6 amp ones when they should be 4 amp. Just like Vid has said before, don't assume anything about who has done what previously!

The first versions of the sound board have the polarity marked wrong on the PCB for that cap.

You can tell if you have the first version because there is a 1uF bypass cap tacked down across the 5v rail on the top left area of the sound board. The later version (with the correct polarity mark) has through holes for this cap.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The first versions of the sound board have the polarity marked wrong on the PCB for that cap.
You can tell if you have the first version because there is a 1uF bypass cap tacked down across the 5v rail on the top left area of the sound board. The later version (with the correct polarity mark) has through holes for this cap.

Looks like mine is one of those (check my photo above, I just replaced that one...and wondered why the heck there were no holes!). In that case, I assume I should then remove the cap C12 and orient it according to the schematic, not based on what is on the board. What does that cap do, anyhow? The board currently works with it backward!

#516 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Looks like mine is one of those (check my photo above, I just replaced that one...and wondered why the heck there were no holes!). In that case, I assume I should then remove the cap C12 and orient it according to the schematic, not based on what is on the board. What does that cap do, anyhow? The board currently works with it backward!

The cap still does its job when installed backwards but will have a much shortened life.

#517 7 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

The cap still does its job when installed backwards but will have a much shortened life.

Well it is getting swapped around regardless. I was under the impression that electrolytic would only work in one direction...I must have been misinformed. Thank you for the help.

#518 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Well it is getting swapped around regardless. I was under the impression that electrolytic would only work in one direction...I must have been misinformed. Thank you for the help.

replace it with a new one. It may be damaged. 1uF is cheap enuogh cap not to gamble on.

in many circuits, a backwards polarity cap will heat up and explode.

#519 7 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

replace it with a new one. It may be damaged. 1uF is cheap enuogh cap not to gamble on.
in many circuits, a backwards polarity cap will heat up and explode.

It's brand new, turned on for about 10 minutes once...still no good in your opinion?

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

It's brand new, turned on for about 10 minutes once...still no good in your opinion?

If the cap still tests OK and shows no visible signs of puffing up it will probably be OK, but I would still use a new one for peace of mind knowing that I won't have to screw with it again.

#521 7 years ago

That's a very good point. I'll pick one up on the way home. Thank you for the help!

2 weeks later
#522 7 years ago

Vid, for the two diodes D7 and D8 that you suggest to replace, I don't have 6A4s on hand, but I do have some 3 amp, 400PIV diodes in my spares box. Are these worth it to upgrade, or is the amperage not enough to be a good replacement? It appears that the MR500s were 3 amp, but I would assume you chose 6 amp ones on purpose. Would it not make any sense?

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Vid, for the two diodes D7 and D8 that you suggest to replace, I don't have 6A4s on hand, but I do have some 3 amp, 400PIV diodes in my spares box. Are these worth it to upgrade, or is the amperage not enough to be a good replacement? It appears that the MR500s were 3 amp, but I would assume you chose 6 amp ones on purpose. Would it not make any sense?

The 3A ones were undersized from the factory.

If you want rock solid performance, the 6A are the proper choice.

#524 7 years ago

So I finished upgrading my high-voltage supply area with the Great Plains kit (minus replacing the transistors), and it works great: displays are dimmer slightly, as advertised, but it's not a big deal for keeping them alive for much longer. However, I now notice a "twitch" or flicker in the first digit of my 4th player display, as well as a not-as-often flicker in the second digit of the same display. All the others are in perfect order. My question is: does this flicker represent a problem with the display that I didn't notice before simply because it was brighter? Is it possibly a flaky connection somewhere, or does it represent the beginning of the end for that display?

#525 7 years ago

Try plugging and unplugging the display a few times (with power off) to clean the contacts.

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Try plugging and unplugging the display a few times (with power off) to clean the contacts.

Turned out to be loose wire to terminal contacts on the 4th player harness. All fixed! I'll also get some before and after pics of the display brightness. As you said, it is minimal. I hope to keep my originals and not upgrade to LED, so this is a much welcome upgrade. Thank you for all of your work and help on these forums.

#527 7 years ago

Installed some 6A4s last night...those suckers are huge!

#528 7 years ago

Great post , Thanks again for the guides. I will be fireproofing and bulletproofing my Alien Poker in a few days and im thrilled to getting running proper again.

#529 7 years ago
Quoted from La_Porta:

Installed some 6A4s last night...those suckers are huge!

I installed some 6A4s last night & was thinking how huge they are compared to the originals.

IMG_6699 (resized).JPGIMG_6699 (resized).JPG

#530 7 years ago

Success on my fireproofing and bulletproofing of the power supply. on to the next task

2 months later
#531 6 years ago

I'm currently working on a Space Shuttle.
I've done all the recommendations in this thread, except the diode 6A4.
Should I swap out the diodes for the beefy 6A4? If so which ones D3 & D4?
Thanks

2 weeks later
#532 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

I'm currently working on a Space Shuttle.
I've done all the recommendations in this thread, except the diode 6A4.
Should I swap out the diodes for the beefy 6A4? If so which ones D3 & D4?
Thanks

Those diodes are probably OK to leave as is, unless they look baked or damaged.

4 weeks later
#533 6 years ago

Hi Vid. I've followed most of the recommendations in this thread for my Firepower. I added a remote battery holder this afternoon. and suddenly my score displays don't work at all. I re-seated the connectors on the CPU board with no change. They are original displays and prior to not working they looked flawless.

Do you have any hints as to where to start the debug on this? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

#534 6 years ago

Scratch that. its a CPU problem. Both LED 1 and LED 2 are solid. I'm going to re-seat the new 40 pin and see if that fixes it.

Thanks

#535 6 years ago

argh nothing...what have I done?? Broke one of my cardinal rules "if it ain't broke...don't fix it"...stupid stupid stupid...

guess I can turn this into an excuse to buy a scope .

#536 6 years ago

So I sat down with the board and realized I missed changing one of the IC sockets. pulled it out put in a couple of SIPs. Chip back in and voila...working firepower. I really thought I'd screwed the pooch on that one.

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

So I sat down with the board and realized I missed changing one of the IC sockets. pulled it out put in a couple of SIPs. Chip back in and voila...working firepower. I really thought I'd screwed the pooch on that one.

Stuff like that happens.

Congrats on getting it all fixed!

#538 6 years ago

So do I just break the yellow wires from power supply feeding the general illumination with inline fuse holders as mention in the previous post I have quoted. Also will the 20 amp fuse need to stay in place? I have a jungle lord that the previous owner hacked that section of the power supply. I have all new molex connectors and caps I plan to install soon. Thanks in advance!

Quoted from vid1900:

If you get a 4 fuse block, you can split your GI lines and fuse them separately.
Post a clear pic of how your GI lines look now. Are they all soldered to the fuse connector, or has it been modded and just wire-nutted together?

IMG_3028 (resized).JPGIMG_3028 (resized).JPG

#539 6 years ago
Quoted from BenB:

Also will the 20 amp fuse need to stay in place?

Yep, leave the 20A in place.

Quoted from BenB:

I have a jungle lord that the previous owner hacked that section of the power supply.

Wow, that is something!

#540 6 years ago

Beautiful isn't it!! Ok thanks so much and for this Guide you created some time ago. I appreciate it Vid!

#541 6 years ago

I've just split the GI on Blackout.
I have one string with a 10A fuse for the playfield lights, because you can't split those easy.
And two 5A fuses for the backbox insert panel.
The 39 lamps can be split in two strings of 19 and 20 lamps.
The fourth string is the coin door and with 2 lamps it can do with 2A fuse.

#542 6 years ago

Splitting the GI up so as to fuse individual strings is a good idea - it gives better protection and is easier to fault find. You can just run a 5A fuse in each string or if I run leds in a pin I downsize the fuse rating too. A led draws about 20 mA, compared to 250 mA for a type 44 and 125 mA for a type 47 incandescent.

#543 6 years ago

So what would you put in for fuses for the leds? As opposed to the 47s with 5 amp. I am tempted to led my JL.

Quoted from SYS6:

Splitting the GI up so as to fuse individual strings is a good idea - it gives better protection and is easier to fault find. You can just run a 5A fuse in each string or if I run leds in a pin I downsize the fuse rating too. A led draws about 20 mA, compared to 250 mA for a type 44 and 125 mA for a type 47 incandescent.

#544 6 years ago
Quoted from BenB:

So what would you put in for fuses for the leds? As opposed to the 47s with 5 amp. I am tempted to led my JL.

Put in all your bulbs.

With your meter, measure the current draw for each leg.

Choose a slightly larger fuse than the actual current drawn.

#545 6 years ago

Thanks! Hopefully won't have to worry about catching fire after fusing the bridges and started some board work last night.

IMG_3035 (resized).JPGIMG_3035 (resized).JPG

#546 6 years ago
Quoted from BenB:

Measuring true load is a pretty good plan as it takes care of different loads due to differing numbers of globes in each string - Inkochnito mention a few post back thata coin door is one string with only a few globes.

Another approach is just to say a led is 20 mA and the 250 mA for a type 44, so just ratio it as 20/250 x 5 A = 400 mA and round up a bit, say 1 A. That's the approach I take with mpu controlled lamps in these games which just originally have one 8 A fuse for all, so I go about 2A for leds.

Fuse tolerances are pretty sloppy so it's not an exact science and in the case of a non controlled ie GI lamp string the most likely scenario is a direct short. In mpu controlled matrix there's chance of a row or col being stuck on.

In general if you underfuse the only consequence is blowing more fuses than necessary, so a few cents wasted. Overfusing can cause far more problems

#547 6 years ago

Could anybody provide a size or part number on molex crimp connectors for the GI plug. I've found a repair kit on eBay, but would like to know for extras to keep on hand.

2 months later
#548 6 years ago

Many thanks, vid1900 et al. Was experiencing resets on my Alien Poker when firing both flippers simultaneously. Took a little chasing but found the problem and now have a more reliable power supply and eliminated a fire hazard I didn't even know existed.

After re-seating all power connections with no luck, started researching and found this thread. Replaced three Suspect MPU molex connectors, both bridge rectifiers (including fuse install), both big beefy diodes, the 12v capacitor and the 5v regulator. Still no go. Found a rusted/corroded fuse holder on the 12v circuit and replaced it.

Still no go. Only thing left was flipper coil diodes. Clipped one end on each and all tested ok. Went ahead and replaced them since I had to solder on them anyway. Low and behold, new diodes solved it! Can't say if it was a bad diode or a bad joint as the culprit but who cares at this point?

Separate issue - any idea if the double flippers on the right are supposed to be able to flip separately? Mine fire together. Can't press the button half way and get one to fire alone. Is this normal?

#549 6 years ago
Quoted from txx3ddq442:

Separate issue - any idea if the double flippers on the right are supposed to be able to flip separately? Mine fire together. Can't press the button half way and get one to fire alone. Is this normal?

Are there two switches on that button? No schematic on ipdb to confirm, but I'd assume so; every other williams game I've played from that era has had stageable flippers

#550 6 years ago

Look at the switch. If it has 2 sets of contacts you can bend/adjust to get them to fire together or apart depending on when the contacts close.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/11?hl=benb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.