(Topic ID: 35965)

Vid's Guide - Bally/Stern Driver Board Repair / Bulletproofing.

By vid1900

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 224 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by La4s
  • Topic is favorited by 388 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Phantasm-1-660x330 (resized).jpg
821B6806-6392-47B6-9600-844F1AF53019 (resized).jpeg
0E84508E-1712-40E8-8713-9CCFE75BC37E (resized).jpeg
LostWorld_Rectifier_Wiring.png
B8BF7E6E-1F96-4C77-834F-AA95932C25E6 (resized).jpeg
20181220_112338 (resized).jpg
IMG_0021 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0656 (resized).PNG
IMG_0202 (resized).JPG
IMG_0201 (resized).JPG
IMG_0203 (resized).JPG
IMG_0195 (resized).JPG
IMG_0197 (resized).JPG
IMG_0200 (resized).JPG
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Here is a great diagram of the board pinout stolen from Tom Callahan.
http://pin-logic.com/
[quoted image]

On connector J1 I am missing a blue wire on my Lost World. Does this game not use two blue wires on the powersupply?

#202 3 years ago

According to this J1 has two blue wires?

B8BF7E6E-1F96-4C77-834F-AA95932C25E6 (resized).jpegB8BF7E6E-1F96-4C77-834F-AA95932C25E6 (resized).jpeg
#203 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

According to this J1 has two blue wires?
[quoted image]

That is for Bally KISS pinball.

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

On connector J1 I am missing a blue wire on my Lost World. Does this game not use two blue wires on the powersupply?

It's in the schematics. There is only 1 solid blue wire and that J1 connector is only 8 pins total, not 9 pins.
Please take a moment to learn how the wire color codes are marked.

LostWorld_Rectifier_Wiring.pngLostWorld_Rectifier_Wiring.png

#205 3 years ago

Oh shit! Thanks I think I bought the wrong power supply too.. I’ve got nine pins on J1

0E84508E-1712-40E8-8713-9CCFE75BC37E (resized).jpeg0E84508E-1712-40E8-8713-9CCFE75BC37E (resized).jpeg
#206 3 years ago

If I follow the schematics for the Kiss wiring on J1 and J2 everything works except bottom part of GI is out..

#207 3 years ago

Game is working now except bottom GI.. Any suggestions?

821B6806-6392-47B6-9600-844F1AF53019 (resized).jpeg821B6806-6392-47B6-9600-844F1AF53019 (resized).jpeg
#208 3 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Oh shit! Thanks I think I bought the wrong power supply too.. I’ve got nine pins on J1
[quoted image]

No big deal. Just ignore the extra 9th pin on your board.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

No big deal. Just ignore the extra 9th pin on your board.

Thanks everything is working except half the GI now.. Looking for a short now..

1 month later
#210 3 years ago

Turned on Stars and only had GI lights. Took the backglass out and noted the CPU power and test lamps were on solid.

Found the CPU +5volts was 4.2v and which comes from the regulator on the power driver board connected to the +12v which was pulled down to +10v.

After reading this tread, picked up new ESR meter and new replacements for C23 and C24. Meter confirmed both were shot, so replaced them and added the TP1-TP3 jumper, and back in action.

Thanks Vid, wherever you are.

Phantasm-1-660x330 (resized).jpgPhantasm-1-660x330 (resized).jpg

10 months later
#211 2 years ago

I’m working on a Bally 2518-22 SDB for a friend. He brought over a box of crap and would like me to see what I can do. I have very little experience and knowledge, but I would dive in and try. I’ve been able to get 4 up and running 100% and that feels great. BUT, he has one that locks on ALL coils on power up and blows playfield fuse. It came in that way. I’ve rebuilt J3 and J4 with new pins. Checked tip102 transistors and they measure normal. Thought it might be the U2 chip on the board, it was nasty looking. Pulled another off a parts board and no change. So, what would lock on all coils at power up? All driver board test points are within range.
Thanks for any help.

2 months later
#212 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Here is a great diagram of the board pinout stolen from Tom Callahan.
http://pin-logic.com/
[quoted image]

I know this is old, but it just helped me greatly. Thanks!

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

I’m working on a Bally 2518-22 SDB for a friend. He brought over a box of crap and would like me to see what I can do. I have very little experience and knowledge, but I would dive in and try. I’ve been able to get 4 up and running 100% and that feels great. BUT, he has one that locks on ALL coils on power up and blows playfield fuse. It came in that way. I’ve rebuilt J3 and J4 with new pins. Checked tip102 transistors and they measure normal. Thought it might be the U2 chip on the board, it was nasty looking. Pulled another off a parts board and no change. So, what would lock on all coils at power up? All driver board test points are within range.
Thanks for any help.

Post some good pics of both sides of the board

Could be a solder bridge

1 month later
#214 2 years ago

Hey Vid, can you give any advice or maybe a guide for Stern Sound boards? I've got a Catacomb that screeches a single sound bit god awfully loud on power up.

7 months later
#215 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

C24 is part of the 5v circuit, bottom right of big heatsink.
It is originally an electrolytic style cap, and is often replaced with a much better Tantalum style.

Is it ok to use a 2.2uf instead of the 2uf for C24?

-Pat

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFixin:

Is it ok to use a 2.2uf instead of the 2uf for C24?
-Pat

Yes.

#217 2 years ago

Does anybody know if there is a thread where the relevant part numbers are listed for doing complete bullet proofing work on various boards? I can buy kits from Big Daddy, and appreciate that they have those ready to go, but if you have to do multiples that option gets pretty expensive.
Just wondering if this info is compiled somewhere already before I dive into a big research project…

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Does anybody know if there is a thread where the relevant part numbers are listed for doing complete bullet proofing work on various boards? I can buy kits from Big Daddy, and appreciate that they have those ready to go, but if you have to do multiples that option gets pretty expensive.
Just wondering if this info is compiled somewhere already before I dive into a big research project…

Big Daddy lists the actual parts that are included in the kits on his site -

#219 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Big Daddy lists the actual parts that are included in the kits on his site -

Ooh, I missed that! Thanks.

1 month later
#220 1 year ago

I'm rebuilding the bridge rectifier board for my Paragon. Pinball life has these 35amp/600v bridge rectifiers, will these work? I assumed they would I just wanted to check first.
https://www.pinballlife.com/bridge-rectifier-35amp-600volt.html

#221 1 year ago
Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

I'm rebuilding the bridge rectifier board for my Paragon. Pinball life has these 35amp/600v bridge rectifiers, will these work? I assumed they would I just wanted to check first.
https://www.pinballlife.com/bridge-rectifier-35amp-600volt.html

Yes

1 year later
#222 9 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Next on the bulletproofing is to tie C26's NEG leg to ground.
These Bally boards had some strange designs and we can make them more reliable .
Note also the completely vaporized board trace. I replaced that trace with a wire, hot glued to the board.
[quoted image]

Apologies for the stupid question here, but exactly what type of wire are you using here? I think I've read that this should be 18 AWG? I'm assuming silicone and stranded?

This will be my first attempt at this and while I'm struck with a little concern I also need to remind myself that with some care this isn't that tough.

#223 9 months ago

You can use 20 or 22 ga wire, I prefer stranded, (since I have it on hand), but solid will work. There really won’t be any current on the jumper.

#224 9 months ago
Quoted from Biju:

Apologies for the stupid question here, but exactly what type of wire are you using here? I think I've read that this should be 18 AWG? I'm assuming silicone and stranded?
This will be my first attempt at this and while I'm struck with a little concern I also need to remind myself that with some care this isn't that tough.

You can use silicone or PVC coated wires. I'm partial to PVC, as they feel a little stiffer and tend to be a slightly smaller outside diameter.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 224 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-quick-bally-driver-board-repair-bulletproofing/page/5?hl=reaper802 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.