Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by CodyF
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Virtual pinball, hyper pin what do you think”

• It's great! 32 votes
      33%
    • Not bad.... 33 votes
      34%
    • hate it. 20 votes
      21%
    • havnt tried it but really want to. 7 votes
      7%
    • havnt tried it and dont want to. 5 votes
      5%
    • never heard of it. 0 votes

(97 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Solar_Wars_PF.jpg
    IMG_3881.jpg
    VP_Flyer_2.jpg
    VP_Flyer.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I recently added a full sized widebody "superpin" to my collection trading away a Demolition Man and Striker extreme plus a few hundred dollars and i must say this thing rules...I will admit it is not the same, but to have over 300 tables available in my Cave is awesome, a new game everyday. I have a few other pins and want tons more, but i also have to live with my wife so am limited to a few at home and a few at the bar that we own. I have heard and recieved some flack for my love of this video pin, it is larger than my south park and has beefed up sound and a nudge effect, I was wondering what the rest of our community says about this, I could see in the future a cabinet that crosses over both, to where one table could be changed over with video help and a few removable ramps and such...c'mon new pinball companies jump on it.

#2 11 years ago

To me, I love the feeling when you hit the flipper buttons and it feels like there are extra fingers (mine obviously) inside the pin. With virtual pins, I don't get that feeling.

Quoted from oropuro:

I could see in the future a cabinet that crosses over both, to where one table could be changed over

You can do this with the Pin2k games. RFM and SWE1 can be switched in or out no matter what cabinet it is.

#3 11 years ago

As for the poll:
    Haven't = Have not
    Havnt = Not a word

That said, I'd love to try one with the full force feedback and high quality computer/TV equipment such that there's essentially no lag.

#4 11 years ago

Actually some of the guys out there building these virtual pinball machines have added solenoids to give that true flipper and slingshot feel and added ways to nudge the machine and it happens on the game. Ive seen them with real flashers and real dmds. Its pretty cool stuff.

#5 11 years ago

It is great but does not replace pinball. It is a beast of its own but it is damn fun IMHO.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

To me, I love the feeling when you hit the flipper buttons and it feels like there are extra fingers (mine obviously) inside the pin. With virtual pins, I don't get that feeling.

Think that whats so unique about playing pinball, you get the feeling you are actually an extention of the machine itself which is what the video versions lack for me. That being said, I also think the aspect of having so many possibilities at your fingertips is what drives and gives vids thier appeal. I prefer the feel of a real pin, but I too like the versatility of the vids. I would venture to say preference could very well be closely linked with "when" or "what era" we grew up in.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from oropuro:

I recently added a full sized widebody "superpin" to my collection trading away a Demolition Man and Striker extreme plus a few hundred dollars and i must say this thing rules...I will admit it is not the same, but to have over 300 tables available in my Cave is awesome, a new game everyday. I have a few other pins and want tons more, but i also have to live with my wife so am limited to a few at home and a few at the bar that we own. I have heard and recieved some flack for my love of this video pin, it is larger than my South Park and has beefed up sound and a nudge effect, I was wondering what the rest of our community says about this, I could see in the future a cabinet that crosses over both, to where one table could be changed over with video help and a few removable ramps and such...c'mon new pinball companies jump on it.

That superpin was mine . I bought it off eBay then sold it when I built my own. Then sold that to shoot again and now I have a smaller one converted from a pinball 2000 cabinet. The platform can now run pinball fx2. If you're good with computers I can help you get that onto the cabinet if you're interested. It requires mo ing your os to windows 8, however.

#8 11 years ago

i enjoy my pincab, than you know my answer

#9 11 years ago

Video pinball is what it is. It's a very fun game somewhat related to pinball.

#10 11 years ago

Have never played one, it looks cool... just not sure if it would "feel" right.
    If it felt as random as a real one, I think I would own one.

#11 11 years ago

I just don't feel like "Video Pinball" does justice to pinball. Sitting in a comfy chair screen-touching to flip the flippers is far-removed from standing at a real machine and getting a workout. A pinball machine is an immersive experience and video pinball is far more passive. Sure, some of the video-games are "faithful" to the machine games (a la Pinball Arcade) - but they will never give a pinball experience - only a simulation.

Let me extend this one step further - I think most of us have seen That Thing (forget the name of it) that is essentially a pinball machine BUT it is all video with a number of different pinball games simulated? I don't like that either. There is not a real steel silverball and there are not real ramps etc. I don't love it.

#12 11 years ago

Markmon should get the credit for this pin, as it was his creation.
    This machine has two platforms, hyperpin (which runs virtual pinball and future pinball) as well as pinball fx.
    Pinball fx is badass compared to the hyperpin. The layouts are extremely well done originals and the ball physics are pretty spot on once you acclimate to the buttons. I've played this (pinball fx) more than any single 'real' pin this last month.
    I have some pretty cool mods coming your way mark as a much deserved thank you!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Pinball FX on FS would be awesome. I need to check into that....

Does the rest of the VP world work on Win 8?

#14 11 years ago

Hyperpin is interesting but kinda a novelity IMO.
    I haven't found a table that holds my interest and has the 'one more game' feeling that a real pin or pinball fx does. I wouldn't want a virtual pin without pinball fx.

#15 11 years ago

That pinball FX setup is sweet. Always wondered if that could be done.

#16 11 years ago

Ya hyperpin and pinball fx both run on windows 8.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Ya hyperpin and pinball fx both run on windows 8.

Do you have full feedback/Flashers configured on the VP side how it the shuttering on the VP side?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Does the rest of the VP world work on Win 8?

Yes. I wrote a couple programs to help integrate it as well as rewrote a bunch of fp launch scripts. I plan to write a tutorial and provide all the files soon.

The pinball fx stuff is fun and playable. The hyperpin stuff is more of a cool novelty but nowhere near as fun.

Quoted from PennSkier:

I just don't feel like "Video Pinball" does justice to pinball. Sitting in a comfy chair screen-touching to flip the flippers is far-removed from standing at a real machine and getting a workout. A pinball machine is an immersive experience and video pinball is far more passive. Sure, some of the video-games are "faithful" to the machine games (a la Pinball Arcade) - but they will never give a pinball experience - only a simulation.
    Let me extend this one step further - I think most of us have seen That Thing (forget the name of it) that is essentially a pinball machine BUT it is all video with a number of different pinball games simulated? I don't like that either. There is not a real steel silverball and there are not real ramps etc. I don't love it.

We are actually talking about full machines running a multi monitor set up. The playfield is a large 37-42" monitor in a converted empty pinball cabinet. This is not sitting on your chair with an iPad or with a game pad.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

Do you have full feedback/Flashers configured on the VP side how it the shuttering on the VP side?

We didn't bother with any of that mainly because the hyperpin stuff is more novelty than fun once you start playing full screen pinball fx2.

#20 11 years ago

Here are some videos of full screen pinball fx2 in action.

Sorcerers Lair, avengers, and Pasha

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Yes it is fun but VP with all the feedback/flashers shaker motor and wiper motor for gear sounds real DMD. Just blows FX2 away at this point try AFM on a well-built VP cab with full feedback and no flipper lag. It feels very close to the real thing and if I go and play the real AFM my game improves form playing VP version of it.

#22 11 years ago

Yes it is fun but VP with all the feedback/flashers shaker motor and wiper motor for gear sounds real DMD. Just blows FX2 away at this point try AFM on a well-built VP cab with full feedback and no flipper lag. It feels very close to the real thing and if I go and play the real AFM my game improves form playing VP version of it.

I'll admit that afm plays pretty close on visual pinball. But the flipper physics in visual pinball are just so off with the center being virtually unhittable. And it can be corrected by setting oblique values into the table interface (this is done in afm 2.3 table) but that generates blind spots and odd reverse angles. It's unfortunate. Pinball fx2 flipper shots go where you aim. Plus being all original tables you don't have to compare to anything. The pinball fx2 tables are all so complex with deep rulesets. And you don't have to choose between the two. You get both.

#23 11 years ago

Yes I haven’t seen where anyone was enjoying VP on win 8 yet. This is probably because they have not configured full feedback/Flashers…
    Without the mechanical feel of the solenoids and real flashers it is hard to emulate pinball.
    A real DMD helps this experience and putting it all in one package with flapper lag and no shutter makes it really fun.
    I agree you don’t have to choose both are worth setting up. I am adding optic couplers to my cab so I at least get flipper feedback with FX2 tables. That will help with the experience. Once the let you move the DMD that will help also.The rules are much deeper in FX2 flipper feel is very good.

Just don’t judge VP (not you markmon I know you have played other cabs) until you have tried a well setup cab with all the add-ons.

#24 11 years ago

I think the pinballfx game called Biolab is pretty awesome

#25 11 years ago

I'm guessing that none of these programs will run on a Mac, correct?
    I'd need something that's pretty easy to install that requires little tweaking. (Like Mame)
    You guys all PC?

#26 11 years ago

I have a 46" playfield /32" backglass /19" DMD that I custom built with 8 solenoids, 5 RGB flashers & nudge/tilt capabilities. While the pin is a lot of fun to play, I find it all depends on the table. I have over 250 tables loaded, but find there's only a hand full of VP tables that I play and several Future Pin tables that are worthwhile.

To me the two biggest complaints are graphics and physics. But with a recent mod, I have found that several Future Pin tables have really gotten quite good (eg: Tron).

All in all if I had to do over again, I have no regrets. It allows me to play any table that I feel like and has afforded me access to tables that I would never be able to afford (MM, CC, etc).

#27 11 years ago

I've never tried any of these PC based virtual pinball games. The closest would be the Farsight pinball game I purchased for my PS3. It's OK for being able to play older games that I don't have access to, but I'd much rather play on a real, physical pinball machine. You just can't "program" the sheer randomness of physical metal ball being smacked around by little rubber bats...

I'm pretty darn impressed by some of those videos though! Who did the artwork for and programmed all those translations of real pinball tables? That must have taken some time! Are they "legal"? Where can you purchase those? It would be fun to use the virtual pinball tables as a way of training for play on a real machine.

#28 11 years ago

ugh this again.

Nothing beats REAL pinball. But video pin is a FANTASTIC compliment. When you build a real virtual pin build, with feed back, shakers, lights, plunger, nudging. It is GREAT. This is just like xbox vs ps3. They are both fantastic in their own rights, but I own both

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dante:

I find it all depends on the table. I have over 250 tables loaded, but find there's only a hand full of VP tables that I play and several Future Pin tables that are worthwhile.

Yes it really depends on the tables and they are not all created equal. Some are not fun at all.
    I only like a hand full of tables and to me AFM plays so good it is worth it to me just for that one.
    T2 chrome looks amazing TOM plays really well and some others.
    That is one thing about FX2 is so far all the tables I have played are good quality and the flippers feel great on all of them.

Quoted from northvibe:

Nothing beats REAL pinball. But video pin is a FANTASTIC compliment. When you build a real virtual pin build, with feed back, shakers, lights, plunger, nudging. It is GREAT. This is just like xbox vs ps3. They are both fantastic in their own rights, but I own both

I second this.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dante:

I have a 46" playfield /32" backglass /19" DMD that I custom built with 8 solenoids, 5 RGB flashers & nudge/tilt capabilities. While the pin is a lot of fun to play, I find it all depends on the table. I have over 250 tables loaded, but find there's only a hand full of VP tables that I play and several Future Pin tables that are worthwhile.
    To me the two biggest complaints are graphics and physics. But with a recent mod, I have found that several Future Pin tables have really gotten quite good (eg: Tron).
    All in all if I had to do over again, I have no regrets. It allows me to play any table that I feel like and has afforded me access to tables that I would never be able to afford (MM, CC, etc).

lets see. with video please.

#31 11 years ago

I was gonna say awesome, but I thought you meant this Video Pinball:

VP_Flyer.jpgVP_Flyer.jpg VP_Flyer_2.jpgVP_Flyer_2.jpg

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dante:

I currently have it torn down as I am adding the 2 extra flashers, but here are some semi recent shots of it when it was ~90% finished:

I watched your videos nice looking VP.
    But you are not a very good pinball player.

#34 11 years ago

That's pretty cool, Dante. So someone programmed a Color DMD for Tron?

#35 11 years ago

I watched your videos nice looking VP.But you are not a very good pinball player.

$#%&, you mean that I won't be winning any tournaments anytime soon?

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

That's pretty cool, Dante. So someone programmed a Color DMD for Tron?

Yes and it contains a lot of video clips too. The author SLAMT1LT does a lot of custom tables and has done some tweaks to the Future Pinball tables, which has made them a lot more enjoyable than the run of the mill stuff. http://www.pinsimdb.org/pinball/index-10-future_pinball?searchTitle=&searchCollection=&searchType=-1&searchManufacturer=&searchYear=&searchAuthor=slam&searchAuthorIdx=-1

#36 11 years ago

I had plans to build one last year, really wanted to like it, played one at CAX, just couldn't get into it.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Here are some videos of full screen pinball fx2 in action.
    Sorcerers Lair, Avengers, and Pasha

Can you fully control the PFX2 menu system with mapped buttons? I tried it a while ago in the win8 beta, but had to use the mouse & kb to do some menu functions.

#38 11 years ago

So whats the deal? Were you testing it with a laptop? Plunger moves on its own, flippers too.

VERY nice cabinet. How much did that set you back? Probably as much as nice mid-level machine, no?

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chitownpinball:

So whats the deal? Were you testing it with a laptop? Plunger moves on its own, flippers too.
    VERY nice cabinet. How much did that set you back? Probably as much as nice mid-level machine, no?

No, I was filming with my ipad in one hand and a wireless keyboard in the other. The flipper buttons, plunger, etc are all wired to a board that will simulate the keyboard commands (eg: ENTER = Plunger)

All in all, I would say $2,500 - $3,000. I built the cabinet from scratch and everything else was accumulated over a two year period that was either black friday or great ebay deals.

In the end, it was a good project that taught me a lot about wiring, repairs and configuration. The bad news is that it gave the the Pinball bug and I am now starting to add real machines to my collection

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Can you fully control the PFX2 menu system with mapped buttons? I tried it a while ago in the win8 beta, but had to use the mouse & kb to do some menu functions.

Yes. The mouse and keyboard are never pulled out. 4 arrows, enter, escape, and backspace seem to cover about everything including all operator menu adjustments.

#41 11 years ago

Depends on how you ask.

The real size cabinets with a big screen doesn't interest me. Neither does (most) pinball games made by video game designers directly as a video game. And especially not, when unnatural elements have been used.

However, simulation/ROM-emulation of real tables rock!

When I got into Visual Pinball/PinMAME 10+ years ago I got the chills listningen to music, speech and effects of pinball game I used to play but had not seen for a long time.

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Yes. The mouse and keyboard are never pulled out. 4 Aaron's, enter, Escape, and backspace seem to cover about everything including all operator menu adjustments.

I can't remember exactly which things I had trouble with -- I think one of them was that the menu wouldn't wrap around to the next row if you were moving sideways and hit the end of the line.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

However, simulation/ROM-emulation of real tables rock!

When I got into Visual Pinball/PinMAME 10+ years ago I got the chills listningen to music, speech and effects of pinball game I used to play but had not seen for a long time.

I can’t wait to add Pinball Arcade to my cab. The PC version is done they just need to release it.
    http://pinballarcadefans.com/forumdisplay.php/13-PC

#44 11 years ago

I can’t wait to add Pinball Arcade to my cab. The PC version is done they just need to release it.
    http://pinballarcadefans.com/forumdisplay.php/13-PC

This actually has far superior physics to vp so would be a welcomed addition.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

This actually has far superior physics to vp so would be a welcomed addition.

I like that it is ROM based that could open the door for feedback and flashers in the future.

#46 11 years ago

Anybody have recommendations for which PFX2 tables are good? I threw a spare hard drive in my vpin to put windows back on it and try PFX2 again. Played the Mars table it comes with, and the Avengers table I had bought previously -- both seem dull. Audio is really subdued/laid back, most shots don't seem to do much of anything. Which PFX2 tables are worth buying?

#47 11 years ago

Epic Quest is one of my favorites. Pretty unique RPG elements to that one. It has pretty long play times though.

I like some of the first tables, Secrets of the Deep and Bio Lab.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Anybody have recommendations for which PFX2 tables are good? I threw a spare hard drive in my vpin to put windows back on it and try PFX2 again. Played the Mars table it comes with, and the Avengers table I had bought previously -- both seem dull. Audio is really subdued/laid back, most shots don't seem to do much of anything. Which PFX2 tables are worth buying?

All of them. My favorites:

Sorcerers lair
    Infinity gauntlet
    Fear itself
    War world hulk

On all the games, the rules are very deep. You have to figure out how to start modes in order to progress through the games. Otherwise you're just batting the ball around and not getting anywhere.

#49 11 years ago

Virtual pin is awesome. It's a very close substitution for the real thing. It's come a long way, and the new tables people are making are fantastic. Many of the old tables that are done are spot on and play just like the real thing. It was worth every penny to have the games that I like, but would never want to buy.

I paid more for my Virtuapin, than I have for any game. It's my most expensive pin purchase, but well worth it. Currently have 168 tables on mine. And able to play a lot of rare euro games, that I've never seen in real life, which makes it worth it right there. I don't run windows 8 tho and heard it has a lot of glitches with Hyperpin, so I won't be running FX. not that big of a fan of custom tables. I have a couple select ones, but not a lot.

#50 11 years ago

I am addicted to virtual pinball as i was with real pinball when i was young. Its bloody fantastic.

From all the simulations games available, racing, shooting, sports, etc... pinball comes the closest to the real thing.

Ok, no mechs, moving parts, leds.... thats true, but its a simulation remember....

But the gameplay is so recognisable with the real thing its amazing. Its almost the same.

I think too that virtual pinball is one of the keys why pinbal, still maintains to survive. In fact, virtual pinball is the only thing we already know will always be there. So, even when stern and jjp quit (lets hope not off course), virtual pinball will always keep the dream alive that one day... someone will try to make the real thing again.

Yep, i like it.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-pinball-awesome-or-not-so-awesome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.