Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you like video mode”

• Yes I love it 45 votes
      29%
    • No I only love pinball 19 votes
      12%
    • Depends on the game 90 votes
      58%

(154 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 5 years ago

Part of me wants to love video modes. I love retro games so much. And a video mode hearkens back to retro games. AFM is basically an Space invaders clone... There might be other old school games where it actually more closely resembled it. But, those were based off of Space Invaders.
    And the pinball fan inside me wants to really hate video modes. Because, it takes you out of the game, doesn't offer much, and even "if" it was fun it goes by too quickly.
    So I really don't think they're necessary.
    But, when I get one, and maybe its a hard to get one(for me at least), I actually am excited to play it. So I guess I"m just confused by them to be honest... But, I think they can add to a games charm if they're incorporated right, as I know I cheer my friends and family on when they get them, and I enjoy watching the animations as a spectator...
    So I think for me its a yeah, they suck... But, they can also be fun... Now lets play pinball!!!!

1 month later
    #69 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep, that's just the life we lead. The longer you play, the more you know, the better prepared you are.
    You own a road show, you know that you have to start Miami & not New York as your first city because it's worth a ton more points. How much more "skill" does that take? None really, just knowledge of the game.

Not just worth more points. But, also a much safer mode. As you risk sdtm draining during the wreck the cab part, and you don't get to advance the days during that mode to get to mb...
    So its just a crap mode, and one wonders if they made it to kind of punish the player. Because, there is not a whole lot that mode can offer for the risk reward.

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I always liked the video mode in Dr Who - if the sound hadnt been so irritating I've had kept it. BSD's is cool too. Heck, so is T2's....

T2 has a really fun mode. And I think its random. So each time you play it'll be different. Not worth a lot of points, even if you complete it, but its short, fun and I think worth playing.
    And you can play it more than one time per game.
    Spittin Gallery is the type of video mode that I really don't like. It just slows the game down and really adds nothing.
    A shame as I enjoy playing Champions Pub. Only played it phyiscally once in at an expo for about 20-25 minutes and I finally got the replay. Fun gimmicky game, but just one of the all time worst video modes. That's a game that would be better off without one, or a different one. Something like Creatures would have been more fitting(but I think they feared it might take away from the whole gimmick of the pin).

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

not the same, but you have HORDE, quite similar, and much better as just a "simple" video mode in a pin...

Yeah, I think that's why they probably didn't include it. You really can't have a video mode that takes away from the actual pin. A good video mode should season the pin with just a bit of added flavor or flair, and it shouldn't overshadow the actual gameplay or modes.
    Otherwise its just a video game. And a video mode, shouldn't be 100% the same thing. it's a tricky line. But, a few pins got it right. Most don't. Best to have no video mode, then to have a bad one. But, I enjoy the AFM, T2, and the one or two times I got BSD. Doctor who is fun, but its more akin to Mario than the doctor. I do like fish tales. Its a bit out there, but fits the wackiness that is pinball. The only ones I don't like really. Champions pub spitin gallery.
    And Ghostbusters ESP one... Just don't see the reason to play it, other than to hear the bits from the movie, which is good one or two times, but mostly I choose don't cross the streams. And I like that one. Its a bit slow and plodding. But, I like the strategy element to it. I do think they could speed it up slightly. About 1/3 of a speed up would be more fun, but they'd have to speed up the capture ghost speed too. Still its a decent video mode. Not the best, not the worst.
    Harley Davidson is okay. But, hitting the pedestrians... That is a bit weird. Graphics suck on it. But, its fun to play.

2 weeks later
    #81 5 years ago

Creatures video mode is good... But, I think its the overall integration and comedic element that truly makes it shine. It just fits the overall theme and further engrosses you into the whole drive in element of the pinball. One thing I like about Creature is that it has a lot of little easter eggs or interactivity. Like strangling the guy at the snack bar when you get bad food, or even better blowing the snack bar up to make sure you don't get bad food. And the whole sneaking into the drive in.
    Those in a way could be minor video modes as you need to press the flipper buttons at the right time to activate them.
    Also, the mortal kombat fatality ending to the video mode is cool.
    I'm not certain how to activate that. I've seen it done, and I've won video mode more than a few times, just never seem to be able to "FINISH HIM"!
    I didn't know TFTC had a video mode. I'm going to look that up. Hope its a fun one.
    I finally experienced Medieval Madness' video mode. That is okay. Not the best not the worst.
    About the worst. I think Game Of Thrones has to be the worst. And you'd think a newer pin would have a much better mode, but man that video mode is basically broken and boring and just bad!.

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

It's like the shuttle mode in ST:TNG. You pick doors and if you pick wrong, you get hung. Not that fun, IMO, and I really like TFTC.

Is it random... Or always the same. A video mode like that should be random.
    It also sounds like Congo's video mode to me.
    I don't know if Congo is random.

#89 5 years ago

I got a question about ST:TNG. The video mode appears to be always the same. And in pinball arcade you it is pretty easy to unlock the video mode.
    So my question is, if you know and memorize the route for extra ball. Could you seemingly have unlimited extra balls in this game?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-mode?tu=Diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.