Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you like video mode”

• Yes I love it 45 votes
      29%
    • No I only love pinball 19 votes
      12%
    • Depends on the game 90 votes
      58%

(154 votes)

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I love pinball games with a video mode, which is why i have a data east star wars, a fish tales, and a terminator 2. I havent seen many new games with a dedicated video mode that you can play. Is there any new games with a game in video mode or all they all just video clips?

#2 5 years ago

I enjoy the video mode on IJ, T2 and Fish Tales.

#3 5 years ago

Stern Star Wars has a video mode. It’s very similar to HS2 but you’re in the millennium falcon dodging asteroids instead of in a car dodging cars.

#4 5 years ago

Fish Tales and HS2 video modes are fun.

#5 5 years ago

BSD, Fish tales, Indy 500, Getaway and SWLE. Ghostbusters all have good video modes. Always dissapointed when none available.

#6 5 years ago

Ghostbusters has a video mode

#7 5 years ago

The only good video mode is no video mode.

#8 5 years ago

I enjoy some video modes and hate some.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgadzia:

I love pinball games with a video mode, which is why i have a data east star wars,

What do you consider the video mode? The x-mode isn't coded, so you're just watching the clip. I don't consider Stormtrooper shoot to be much of a video mode (just mashing the launch button). I really wish they had finished x-mode.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from cabuford:

What do you consider the video mode? The x-mode isn't coded, so you're just watching the clip. I don't consider Stormtrooper shoot to be much of a video mode (just mashing the launch button). I really wish they had finished x-mode.

well on the data east star wars you have to launch the ball by shooting the tie fighter

#11 5 years ago

“Listen to them, the children of the night”

#12 5 years ago

Lots of 90s pins have video modes: TS, STTNG, LW3, JY. I enjoy them. Some obviously more challenging than others.

#13 5 years ago

For me BSD video mode is the best. I think the video modes in Ghostbusters are terrible.

#14 5 years ago

I like challenging video modes, JM has one of the best.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgadzia:

Is there any new games with a game in video mode or all they all just video clips?

Stern has several recent games with video modes including GoT, GB, and SW.

#16 5 years ago

AFM has a video Mode

#17 5 years ago

MM has a Video Mode ( save the children )that is not often seen . That is why it's always fun to get !

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from TenaciousT:

MM has a Video Mode ( save the children )that is not often seen . That is why it's always fun to get !

I’ve played our MMr a lot and never seen the video mode

#20 5 years ago

Punching that peeping Tom in Creech is my favorite.

#21 5 years ago

No Fear's motorcycle ramp jumping mode is just fun and captures the spirit of the game.

#22 5 years ago

Congo's rafting video mode is fun.

#23 5 years ago

I HATE video modes. They are fine once, but over time, they just annoy me. They added one in Game Of Thrones, and it was lame. I understand why they were added in the 90s, but there is nothing good in them. I own iPads, phones, Xboxes, and computers. I can play video games that are hundreds of times better anywhere in the world. And even back then, an Atari 2600 from years earlier kicked its butt. I prefer pinball when I’m playing pinball. Now get off my lawn ya crazy kids.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

Punching that peeping Tom in Creech is my favorite.

+1

#25 5 years ago

The Shadow Phurba Video Mode is great.
    I also like JM and GB Don't Cross the Streams. I'm starting to like the new Star Wars Asteroid field - although it's a bit long.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

For me BSD video mode is the best. I think the video modes in Ghostbusters are terrible.

Would be better if it wasn't so easy.

#27 5 years ago

Indiana Jones....You have chosen poorly...lol

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I HATE video modes. They are fine once, but over time, they just annoy me. They added one in Game Of Thrones, and it was lame. I understand why they were added in the 90s, but there is nothing good in them. I own iPads, phones, Xboxes, and computers. I can play video games that are hundreds of times better anywhere in the world. And even back then, an Atari 2600 from years earlier kicked its butt. I prefer pinball when I’m playing pinball. Now get off my lawn ya crazy kids.

Agreed; I play pinball to play pinball. Not to play some 30 second video game with two (sometimes 3!) buttons.

I am okay with others enjoying them, EXCEPT for the fact it has caused a bit of a video mode resurgence lately. Just. Stop. It.

Make pinball. Make it good. Forget trying to be like the "cool kids" in the video game industry...

#30 5 years ago

The Shadow

#31 5 years ago

2002 Playboy Stern...

ok, perhaps with the next code update.... ;o)

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Needs set on hard from the get go... its much better then and fun and difficult

#33 5 years ago

Have anybody seen the Deadpool???All video,very well done! Like watching cartoons that you control!!IMHO!!!

#34 5 years ago

In general though, video mode adds very little to the game for me. I much prefer short "non-pinball" ball gimmicks; such as The Battlefield in The Shadow or Jumping Rope in Champion Pub. So with that said, of the games I've owned, here are my video mode rankings from best to worst: Fish Tale, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Congo, The Shadow, then Johnny Mnemonic. Fish Tales is the best and with a subwoofer attached it sounds like WWIII. Bram Stoker's Dracula is fun, but even with the difficulty turned up, it's still too easy. Some additional reward for all last moment shots might add to the challenge. Congo and The Shadow are very similar. Dodge items coming from the top of the screen. I enjoy the rafting theme more, but take your pick. The Shadow certainly can be difficult. Johnny Mnemonic, despite being the lowest on my list is still fine. I have it ranked the lowest simply because the control is not intuitive.

#35 5 years ago

I love video mode! I’m currently making a punch out clone for the video mode on my home brew

#36 5 years ago

Video modes that are set patterns one must recognize can POUND SAND. Nothing is more annoying in a competitive setting when you're playing a game that you know some of the rules, but your opponent gets to Video Mode and knows the pattern with their eyes closed (looking at you BF and GnR).

When there's some skill & reaction timing involved, and they're brief, I think they can have a place in pinball.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Video modes that are set patterns one must recognize can POUND SAND. Nothing is more annoying in a competitive setting when you're playing a game that you know some of the rules, but your opponent gets to Video Mode and knows the pattern with their eyes closed (looking at you BF and GnR).
    When there's some skill & reaction timing involved, and they're brief, I think they can have a place in pinball.

Agreed. STTNG falls in this category as well.

#38 5 years ago

BSD...

Quoted from gliebig:

... well than, will again repost this, my son in action...

#39 5 years ago

Vid modes on games that I have:

MM: Pretty good. Don't see it every game which is nice. Semi challenging as I don't always save the children.
    Congo: Decent. It's quick and fun. Color DMD makes it much better.
    TOM: I actually like the virtual pinball. I find it can be pretty challenging to complete before time runs out.
    BSD: OK. Get it too frequently.

#40 5 years ago

Shit, the best video mode has to be the sword fight in GOT. Sarcasm. They really to add some finishing touches on this game including that lame ass video mode.

#41 5 years ago

I think Black Rose has like a half dozen or more video modes. Maybe more.

#42 5 years ago

Like always some are good, some are horrible.

#43 5 years ago

Star Wars, GOT, and Ghostbusters are recent Stern machines with video modes...

The first video mode is in Mr./Ms. Pac-man. 1983.

Quite a few machines have 3 video modes:
    Williams Indiana Jones. It has 3 video modes.

Also, Black Rose has 3 video modes but none of them are particularly well done IMHO.

Junkyard has a similar progression of two separate video modes which get increasingly difficult. And, it also has 3 video modes (Time Machine video saucer mode).

Doctor Who is worth noting because it's actually very well done.

My favorite modern video mode is BSD but nothing tops Mr/Ms Pac-man. No one even understand how to play it or how complex and fun it really is to play. I've complete 3+ mazes on it- it's very difficult to get that far in it.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgadzia:

Is there any new games with a game in video mode

Houdini -- Card King -- throwing cards through hoops, the length of the press of the flipper button controls height of the throw, so you need to time the start of the press and the release to hit the hoops that are moving across the screen. Hoops move faster as you make them. You can also shoot both hoops with a single throw if you time it right.

Oktoberfest will have one as well called Tap It

#45 5 years ago

My favorite video mode is CFTBL.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

This! I don’t mind video modes at all in a play for fun setting, but it’s frustrating to get beaten in a tournament setting because an opponent knows the left-right-right-left sequence of the game’s video mode (like the rail cart thingy in IJ). I’d rather be outflipped....

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

This! I don’t mind video modes at all in a play for fun setting, but it’s frustrating to get beaten in a tournament setting because an opponent knows the left-right-right-left sequence of the game’s video mode (like the rail cart thingy in IJ). I’d rather be outflipped....

That’s a good point, if the win came down to a video mode bonus, then did he really beat you at pinball??

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

You were beaten by someone that has a better knowledge of the game you were playing than you; which is a very important aspect of the sport.

Quoted from Spinape:

That’s a good point, if the win came down to a video mode bonus, then did he really beat you at pinball??

Just enter Classics/em divisions and you wont have to struggle with this life questions

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spinape:

Keep in mind that some video modes are random. Congo, Ghostbusters, and Mr/Ms Pac are all random.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You were beaten by someone that has a better knowledge of the game you were playing than you; which is a very important aspect of the sport.

Just enter Classics/em divisions and you wont have to struggle with this life questions

You misunderstood. I do not deny any legitimacy to someone who beats me because of superior video mode knowledge. Not at all, it is absolutely part of the game.... I just said I’d rather be outflipped than out-videoed. I have zero struggle with this particular “life question “ and have no compunction over entering non-classics tournaments because I might have to play on machines with video modes.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-mode?hl=stupidjackpot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.