Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you like video mode”

• Yes I love it 45 votes
      29%
    • No I only love pinball 19 votes
      12%
    • Depends on the game 90 votes
      58%

(154 votes)

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

Compunction

#52 5 years ago

It depends. TS and FT have great video modes. The video mode in CBW is awful...

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

You misunderstood..... I just said I’d rather be outflipped than out-videoed.

Yeah I got that, I just think you did get "out-flipped." Diff'rent ways of looking at it.

#55 5 years ago

I liked the video mode in MM as well as CV.

#56 5 years ago

Earlier WMS video modes are often the best for being more impressive and ambitious with the limited hardware and resolution. The Data East programmers couldn't stand them and would try and program the lamest ones they could think of so they wouldn't have to do one again.

#57 5 years ago

I like the video mode in my one and only game the best. Theater digital pinball.

it’s timeless now. In my opinion.

I don’t like the ones where you can master it like next gen.

But overall I think a video mode is always a good idea.

#58 5 years ago

They almost all suck imo. Especially ones that occur every game.

#59 5 years ago

Part of me wants to love video modes. I love retro games so much. And a video mode hearkens back to retro games. AFM is basically an Space invaders clone... There might be other old school games where it actually more closely resembled it. But, those were based off of Space Invaders.
    And the pinball fan inside me wants to really hate video modes. Because, it takes you out of the game, doesn't offer much, and even "if" it was fun it goes by too quickly.
    So I really don't think they're necessary.
    But, when I get one, and maybe its a hard to get one(for me at least), I actually am excited to play it. So I guess I"m just confused by them to be honest... But, I think they can add to a games charm if they're incorporated right, as I know I cheer my friends and family on when they get them, and I enjoy watching the animations as a spectator...
    So I think for me its a yeah, they suck... But, they can also be fun... Now lets play pinball!!!!

#60 5 years ago

Definitely dig Creech, Drac, and AFMR video modes.....

#61 5 years ago

Getaway and Fish Tales ones aren't just good video modes, but also progress markers for the main game.

#62 5 years ago

Baywatch has 2 video modes and they both rock. Although the water skiing is a set pattern.

#63 5 years ago

no doubt a set pattern is a real problem. I've seen in league play where those not knowing the pattern on STTNG where at a real disadvantage given the scoring of that mode is way too high relative to other features of the game, especially when you walk up to it cold, and of course you are getting all those points with zero risk of losing the ball.

I did try on Houdini to be sure that was not the case. Obviously with practice someone could get good at it, but not just learn a pattern.

The one I am working on for Oktoberfest also does not have a pattern, and I hope it to be challenging and fun, and I believe it will be harder than the one in Houdini to master.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

no doubt a set pattern is a real problem. I've seen in league play where those not knowing the pattern on STTNG where at a real disadvantage .....

Actually I have a doubt. A big part of league play is learning the rules of games. I don't want to get all "damn kids and their 2018 participation awards" but seriously, arguing people that know the game better have an advantage is just the most bizarre thing.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Actually I have a doubt. A big part of league play is learning the rules of games. I don't want to get all "damn kids and their 2018 participation awards" but seriously, arguing people that know the game better have an advantage is just the most bizarre thing.

Those who know the rules of a game have an advantage, whether it is a video mode or general game play. You want to do better in league or tournament play, you need to know the rules. So yes, knowing the rules give you advantage and I'm not saying that is unfair, but it is an advantage. I've played with guys where I have better skills, but will lose, since they know the rules and strategy better. That's the nature of it.

In the case of the video mode on STTNG, it is also disproportionately high in value and requires basically zero skill. In theory, if you knew you were going to be playing the machine, you can easily find the pattern on line and memorize it.

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

In the case of the video mode on STTNG, it is also disproportionately high in value and requires basically zero skill. In theory, if you knew you were going to be playing the machine, you can easily find the pattern on line and memorize it.

I guess my point is; if it's so easy, then do it. LLRRLLRLR there, mystery solved. since it takes basically no skill you should nail it pretty quick.
    In theory, you could always end up playing any game; Knowing the rules is very important in any sport/competition.
    I never really remembering anyone disliking video modes back when they were new, probably because then video games/pinball were more closely related.
    Of course I'm sure there were plenty.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I guess my point is; if it's so easy, then do it. LLRRLLRLR

I agree, but when you show up someplace with 60+ machines, you can't try to go learn all that stuff at the last minute. I know the pattern and the two of us who did, took first and second that round, and the difference was totally based on that (since we all pretty much sucked that round), so was just a little too disproportionate, which of course can be an issue with non video modes as well.

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from rosh:

...but when you show up someplace with 60+ machines, you can't try to go learn all that stuff at the last minute...which of course can be an issue with non video modes as well.

Yep, that's just the life we lead. The longer you play, the more you know, the better prepared you are.

You own a road show, you know that you have to start Miami & not New York as your first city because it's worth a ton more points. How much more "skill" does that take? None really, just knowledge of the game.

1 month later
    #69 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep, that's just the life we lead. The longer you play, the more you know, the better prepared you are.
    You own a road show, you know that you have to start Miami & not New York as your first city because it's worth a ton more points. How much more "skill" does that take? None really, just knowledge of the game.

Not just worth more points. But, also a much safer mode. As you risk sdtm draining during the wreck the cab part, and you don't get to advance the days during that mode to get to mb...
    So its just a crap mode, and one wonders if they made it to kind of punish the player. Because, there is not a whole lot that mode can offer for the risk reward.

#70 5 years ago

I always liked the video mode in Dr Who - if the sound hadnt been so irritating I've had kept it. BSD's is cool too. Heck, so is T2's....

#71 5 years ago

Both spooky games have video modes....AMH zombie flip and RZ road kill. For those that say BSD video mode is easy probably haven't tried to score 1 million on each kill....yes it's easy to kill the wolves when they appear. But try killing them all as they bare their teeth. That's what makes BSD's video mode great...There's a risk/reward element.

#72 5 years ago

Bsd video is also better when set to extra hard

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I always liked the video mode in Dr Who - if the sound hadnt been so irritating I've had kept it. BSD's is cool too. Heck, so is T2's....

T2 has a really fun mode. And I think its random. So each time you play it'll be different. Not worth a lot of points, even if you complete it, but its short, fun and I think worth playing.
    And you can play it more than one time per game.
    Spittin Gallery is the type of video mode that I really don't like. It just slows the game down and really adds nothing.
    A shame as I enjoy playing Champions Pub. Only played it phyiscally once in at an expo for about 20-25 minutes and I finally got the replay. Fun gimmicky game, but just one of the all time worst video modes. That's a game that would be better off without one, or a different one. Something like Creatures would have been more fitting(but I think they feared it might take away from the whole gimmick of the pin).

#74 5 years ago

Fish Tales and Creature are my 2 favorites.

#75 5 years ago

I really wish TWD had a zombie shooting vid mode like bsd's werewolfs.

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I really wish TWD had a zombie shooting vid mode like bsd's werewolfs.

not the same, but you have HORDE, quite similar, and much better as just a "simple" video mode in a pin...

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from RipleYYY:

not the same, but you have HORDE, quite similar, and much better as just a "simple" video mode in a pin...

Yeah, I think that's why they probably didn't include it. You really can't have a video mode that takes away from the actual pin. A good video mode should season the pin with just a bit of added flavor or flair, and it shouldn't overshadow the actual gameplay or modes.
    Otherwise its just a video game. And a video mode, shouldn't be 100% the same thing. it's a tricky line. But, a few pins got it right. Most don't. Best to have no video mode, then to have a bad one. But, I enjoy the AFM, T2, and the one or two times I got BSD. Doctor who is fun, but its more akin to Mario than the doctor. I do like fish tales. Its a bit out there, but fits the wackiness that is pinball. The only ones I don't like really. Champions pub spitin gallery.
    And Ghostbusters ESP one... Just don't see the reason to play it, other than to hear the bits from the movie, which is good one or two times, but mostly I choose don't cross the streams. And I like that one. Its a bit slow and plodding. But, I like the strategy element to it. I do think they could speed it up slightly. About 1/3 of a speed up would be more fun, but they'd have to speed up the capture ghost speed too. Still its a decent video mode. Not the best, not the worst.
    Harley Davidson is okay. But, hitting the pedestrians... That is a bit weird. Graphics suck on it. But, its fun to play.

2 weeks later
    #78 5 years ago

I like the video pinball best in tom but I'm partial to theater. I still say one of the best if not the best.

Accents game, awards extra ball.

Not exactly easy to complete. More random, to me. Fitting pinball overall.

I think a great video mode is not required, but it can show excellence in design.

#79 5 years ago

I'm not sure why anyone would hate video mode or even dislike it? They typically aren't very long and all the ones I've played over the years,TFTC, T2, Creech, FT, have all been implemented very well.
    I wouldn't want it to be a big part of the game, but some spot play here and there is cool. Besides, why not maximize the potential of those dots?

#80 5 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I like the video pinball best in tom but I'm partial to theater. I still say one of the best if not the best.
    Accents game, awards extra ball.
    Not exactly easy to complete. More random, to me. Fitting pinball overall.
    I think a great video mode is not required, but it can show excellence in design.

I like TOM's too. Don't get it every game. It's fun and certainly not a gimme. Actually feel the pressure trying to make those last one or two shots as the timer is winding down.

#81 5 years ago

Creatures video mode is good... But, I think its the overall integration and comedic element that truly makes it shine. It just fits the overall theme and further engrosses you into the whole drive in element of the pinball. One thing I like about Creature is that it has a lot of little easter eggs or interactivity. Like strangling the guy at the snack bar when you get bad food, or even better blowing the snack bar up to make sure you don't get bad food. And the whole sneaking into the drive in.
    Those in a way could be minor video modes as you need to press the flipper buttons at the right time to activate them.
    Also, the mortal kombat fatality ending to the video mode is cool.
    I'm not certain how to activate that. I've seen it done, and I've won video mode more than a few times, just never seem to be able to "FINISH HIM"!
    I didn't know TFTC had a video mode. I'm going to look that up. Hope its a fun one.
    I finally experienced Medieval Madness' video mode. That is okay. Not the best not the worst.
    About the worst. I think Game Of Thrones has to be the worst. And you'd think a newer pin would have a much better mode, but man that video mode is basically broken and boring and just bad!.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I'm not sure why anyone would hate video mode or even dislike it?

I'm not a hater, but I can see why people don't like them. I think the biggest complaints are that they break up the flow of the game and some have large scoring imbalances.

In general, I'd rather be playing pinball than a video mode, as I have plenty of arcade machines and computer games to play.

#83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I didn't know TFTC had a video mode. I'm going to look that up. Hope its a fun one.

It's like the shuttle mode in ST:TNG. You pick doors and if you pick wrong, you get hung. Not that fun, IMO, and I really like TFTC.

#84 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

It's like the shuttle mode in ST:TNG. You pick doors and if you pick wrong, you get hung. Not that fun, IMO, and I really like TFTC.

also similar to the Indy mine cars. Luckily the 2 other video modes in Indy are pretty good -

#85 5 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Is it random... Or always the same. A video mode like that should be random.
    It also sounds like Congo's video mode to me.
    I don't know if Congo is random.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

STTNG : always the same
    CONGO : i dont know...

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

This! I don’t mind video modes at all in a play for fun setting, but it’s frustrating to get beaten in a tournament setting because an opponent knows the left-right-right-left sequence of the game’s video mode (like the rail cart thingy in IJ). I’d rather be outflipped....

How about being beaten because someone knows more obscure facts about mid 90s basketball?

#88 5 years ago

I like IJ's video modes. They tie into each movie well, and are a fun break to play.
    Also playing poker in Sopranos is fun and risking betting points.

#89 5 years ago

I got a question about ST:TNG. The video mode appears to be always the same. And in pinball arcade you it is pretty easy to unlock the video mode.
    So my question is, if you know and memorize the route for extra ball. Could you seemingly have unlimited extra balls in this game?

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

It's random I believe in TFTC.

#91 5 years ago

I don't remember getting a bunch of videa modes in St:ng but yes it's always the same

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-mode/page/2?hl=golfkill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.