(Topic ID: 322309)

Video Mode, Yes or No

By McDoom

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Video Mode, Yes or No”

• Hell Yeah! 109 votes
      69%
    • Hell No! 40 votes
      25%
    • Not Sure 8 votes
      5%

(157 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9d32618727a80a1e11c89bfb76bf325e (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220917_030639 (resized).jpg
    s-l1600 (resized).jpg
    han.gif
    562012B1-2480-4E4B-924B-75DB938B35CE (resized).png
    15D6DFA8-923B-4E4A-A864-A565161020F1 (resized).png
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

There is a ROM for sttng that auto selects the twenty five million.

#52 1 year ago

The DMD driving game on Getaway is great - high paced, good callouts, quick and well integrated to the theme.

I also really like the Space Invaders/Missile Command style DMD game on Attack from Mars, and when you get the falling cows instead of flying saucers that adds an extra level of fun.

#53 1 year ago

Yes! Love the 90s b/w modes.
    Current video mode in Halloween is awesome and hopefully in a future Airplane movie pin too.

#54 1 year ago

Judge Dredd is great hitting the ramps and glancing at the DMD to shoot the car.

#55 1 year ago

Junk Yard and Black Rose are amusing.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

Yes! Love the 90s b/w modes.
    Current video mode in Halloween is awesome and hopefully in a future Airplane movie pin too.
    [quoted image]

Thanks I needed to get that Star War puzzle out of my head.

Remember, Video killed the Radio Star

#57 1 year ago

T2 has a great video mode, short and sweet and really adds the the experience.

#58 1 year ago

Yes. I don't love 'em but as long as they're short enough (and fun, of course) they work as a little mental break before the intensity starts again.

#59 1 year ago

Shadow video mode = goat

#60 1 year ago

Hell Yeah....if they are done well and challenging.

Fish Tales is the best. Other great ones are BSD, IJA, TS...

#61 1 year ago

Fish Tales yes, fun and fits the theme. HS2 is also fits the game well and is a quick distraction. Others are hit and miss.

I don't really feel like I'm missing anything on modern sterns without video modes.

#62 1 year ago

I haven’t played them all but I generally can’t stand them. FT is the only one that I don’t sigh and roll my eyes when it pops up. They just add nothing to gameplay and seem like filler to me. Ironically, Dwight has always been a video mode guy and I really like most of the games he’s coded.

#63 1 year ago

Data East ST25th, kinda fun in my opnion.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yes including the video mode in OP's example
    (I know a modern video mode would have a more proper RNG function, this was just a funny example of how you could memorize a lot of old video modes)

tanx & lol
    i was ready to post, again, my son video, but you did it already

#65 1 year ago

I always swore I'd never own a game with a video mode, but AFMr was just too sweet.

That said, I'd be happy if there was a menu option to disable it.

#66 1 year ago

I like almost all of the 90s video modes. FT shooting boats are fun, BR swimming from shark, knife throwing and ship boarding all fits the game. There are a few that gets very repetitive like JY shooting toasters at the dog and ideally one should be able to skip them (for some fixed points) at the beginning by pressing say both flippers or something similar.

#67 1 year ago

Too bad this one never made it to production. It would have made a great use out of that mechanism.

#68 1 year ago

Definitely a video mode fan. Who doesn't love blasting some water skiiers on Fish Tales?

#69 1 year ago

40x on Star Wars video mode gimps the game.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Too bad this one never made it to production. It would have made a great use out of that mechanism.

It was suppose to, William's sued and it got pulled.

#71 1 year ago

Yes every game should have one! Also every game should have the option to turn it off in settings.

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

40x on Star Wars video mode gimps the game.

(40X) only a small 1.2B with a perfect run at full speed

#73 1 year ago

Hell yes to video modes. Just another kick ass part of the W/B charm offensive that neither Stern nor JJP seemed interested in duplicating.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Many years ago (before LCD's appeared in real pinball machines), I came up with an idea to use live action film footage in a video mode. The idea is based on QTE (Quick Time Events) - press the correct flipper as it flashes on the screen. Reaction time would start at 300ms and decrease each time. Someone with very fast reflexes could complete the scene and win the award.
    Very simple idea and very easy to code.

That's badass! Like an old laserdisc game..simple but cool, especailly since your using original movie clips! I'd be in on that, just to see how much I've been drinking that night lol.

#75 1 year ago

I like video modes..And I like Johnny Mneumonic and Batman Forever vid modes for some reason..And i like video modes because they don't pop up all the time, and it feels like you've unlocked a part of the pin ..which to me, is satisfying!

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Yes including the video mode in OP's example

(I know a modern video mode would have a more proper RNG function, this was just a funny example of how you could memorize a lot of old video modes)

What a punk!

#77 1 year ago

I too enjoy video modes... some more and some less;

More:
    BSD
    IJ
    HSII
    Indy 500
    CP
    ST-TNG

Less:
    Corvette
    ToM
    CFTBL
    JY
    GNR's DE
    Tommy

I'm forgetting a few... but good video change up is OK with me.

#78 1 year ago

Hell yes to video mode! Pinball Brothers Alien needs a video mode thats the only thing missing from the nostalgia! Deadpool was ripe for a video mode you could move him around and fight the bad guys in the arcade! Best ones are definitely still BSD, Dr Who, Junkyard, Black Rose, AFM , not as big a fan of the driving ones like No Fear, HS2

#79 1 year ago

I got really sick of the Blue Suede Shoes DDR in Elvis, that might have been better with more songs and harder levels. I basically started treating that mode as a prompt to relight my double scoring and get 10 million for the right orbit, just delayed by 45 seconds.

#80 1 year ago

Tommy's video mode was torture.

Some VM's are okay, but in general I think a pinball needs a video mode like a video game needs a pinball mode.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-mode-yes-or-no/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.