Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by scscottc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Do most of you like or dislike video modes? What about holding the ball to watch or play a mini game on the screen?

While reading about WOZ I got thinking about it. With their screen in the backglass they could make it as much a video gamr as a pin. I know they do not want that because JJP said they do not want to slow the flow.

Personally I usually miss video modes because I do not hear or see them. I do wish at times the ball would stop during the mode, but other times it plays into the game.

My LW3 you have to fire the gun, pretty cool to be able to do it. My WWF is the same way when you have to "make the tag." I enjoy these because they play into them well. My boys played an old Pacman pin where you move the lights around. I hated the game and rated it low. My boys really liked the video mode. Do you think will see more of this to get the younger kids involved?

What about holding the ball the watch a short video? My wife likes watching the screen and gets mad because the ball still needs attention. What if you could double tap one or both buttons to skip the mode and get the ball moving on your own? I have seen that but I cannot remember if it was a pin or the boys video games.

The plus side of stopping the ball that you could take the opportunity to take a drink from the pin gulp!

#2 12 years ago

I like the small modes you play on the DMD. I have two now that play them. Getaway and Super Mario Bros. Both great little mini games and I like them both. I miss quite a few scenes on other games but get to watch them while being player 2. JD has some great scenes that I really enjoyed watching so I would vote to have more of them if I had a vote.

#3 12 years ago

I like most all video modes of the 90's Williams/Bally games. I grew up on vids as much as pins (although I like the pins more now), so I like the little video game interludes. They give me a nice little break every now and then to catch my breath. I can understand how some people would not like them though, afterall, you are playing pinball for a reason and not playing a video game.

I think Tron would've been the perfect place to have a light cycle video mode like the vintage video game. I was kind of disappointed it didn't. I figured they could've made it so you could have turned it on or off in the adjustments if it wasn't your cup of tea.

Now with WOZ having an LCD, video modes could get out of hand and evolve from mini games into full blown games. That could be too much.

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Now with WOZ having an LCD, video modes could get out of hand and evolve from mini games into full blown games. That could be too much.

I was thinking that, but what if you could skip with a button sequence, kinda like you hold them for status?

#5 12 years ago

I always enjoy the video modes, they just add a different dimension to the game for me. I wish Stern used them more. I think T3 is the only one that has one.

#6 12 years ago

I like video mode, it gives the machine more depth to it.

#7 12 years ago

Other than Junk Yards (which got old after awhile) and BSDraculas (which didn't really ever seem to get old) I can't say that I am a fan of video modes...

#8 12 years ago

Elvis and Monopoly have one. And I think HRC does too but it has been a while. For the most part, I could do without.

#9 12 years ago

If done in moderation it's cool. I like my 'Shoot the Terminators' mode that only lasts about 15 seconds. When it gets all Pinball 2000 is when I tap out.

#10 12 years ago

I'm generally not a big fan of video modes, but STTNG has a pretty cool one. The only downside to it is that one you get really good at the game, you can exploit the video mode and really load up on the artifacts.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm generally not a big fan of video modes, but STTNG has a pretty cool one.

That's the Breakout game, correct?

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

Personally I usually miss video modes because I do not hear or see them. I do wish at times the ball would stop during the mode, but other times it plays into the game.

Quoted from jitneystand1:

Other than Junk Yards (which got old after awhile) and BSDraculas (which didn't really ever seem to get old) I can't say that I am a fan of video modes...

I generally just like video modes that are relevant to the game you are playing. Sometimes they can break the flow of the game, but when done well they are a great bonus feature.

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from emo:

I generally just like video modes that are relevant to the game you are playing. Sometimes they can break the flow of the game, but when done well they are a great bonus feature.

Well put.

Some standouts for me are the Shadows - it's nicely done and hard to get that EB, AFM - I like that it is an award to play it and of course fits the theme great, and all of IJ's are good and fit with the respective movie.

Now the one on DW - jumping over obstacles - doesn't tie into the theme that well and it's fairly easy, is one I don't mind skipping.

For WOZ they need to keep them short and on point, anything to long will detract from the flow of the game

#14 12 years ago

I like video modes in pinballs, it's something else to activate and complete.

I have a Shadow and have only beat the phurber vid mode once and I always forget about squeezing the trigger to clear the screen.

Also Johnny Mnemonic has a video mode, I like the game play of it.... but the graphics of this mode really suck, and on this mode I have never got past the second screen/level.

#15 12 years ago

I hate video modes, give me my ball back please.

#16 12 years ago

I agree that it's about playing pinball, but the little video sequences do break up game play and add an extra element. I like AFM and GNR vid modes, but I don't really like STTNG all that much. Moves too fast for me when I'm drunk.

Johnny

#17 12 years ago

The three video modes on BR are not bad... Walk the Plank, Knife Throw and Swing from the Ringings.. All are relatively quick and don't disrupt the action too much. I also love the animations that are displayed during the game. Sword fights when hitting the bumpers (sometimes Pirates sometimes cows!), and the animation of the ship firing back at you as the ball fires back down the center rail. Of course the best is sinking a ship!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-mode-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.