Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

alice-flo-spinoff-title-credit.jpg
IMG_3193.JPG
GC_1.06.JPG
There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago

Looks like the haters post... while everyone else who really likes this game is out playing.

I haven't bought a NIB in many many years and I'm pre-ordered. Best art/layout combination in years IMHO, and with Lyman programming, I'm sure it will be equally strong in the programming dept. You want simple shots, yeah probably not your cup of tea. But for those of us that HATE 1/2 hour long games, its a refreshing change from Stern.

Personally, AC/DC to me is fun sure. And the music rocks. But that lower playfield is a friggin waste of damn time and isn't even "real" pinball to me. Its like playing pachinko. Stupid stupid stupid. It was a toss up for me AC/DC Prem or Met LE, and I have a feeling for me personally, I chose wisely.

#52 10 years ago

I don't understand how people base the purchase of a $4-$6k item on videos of "other" people playing it.

Would you decide what car you want to buy after watching the salesman driving it around the lot?

I plan to "test drive" this bad boy myself before making my final decision.

#53 10 years ago

Too early to pay attention to anything right now. As we have seen before some of the best pins today were trashed early on and some of the worst pins were given positive early reviews... who knows, give it 6 weeks.

#54 10 years ago

Great design and awesome art. The nonstop fast music is a bit more than I can handle the way they are utilizing it. Not sure this one will ever appeal to the masses.

#55 10 years ago

Installed 1.06 last night and played maybe 10 games...

Sorry Lyman but you need more FLOW!!

GC_1.06.JPGGC_1.06.JPG

#56 10 years ago

Lyman it's time show us you're king of the software

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

I don't understand how people base the purchase of a $4-$6k item on videos of "other" people playing it.

I've played it extensively here in the TC at Mortimer's, if you're referencing my post.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from PinManV:

Looks like the haters post... while everyone else who really likes this game is out playing.

Yep, owners and confirmed buyers can discuss the vid here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/

I don't mind the criticism, but the comparisons to AC/DC are getting old and tired already.

#59 10 years ago

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A Stern employee? That explains the simultaneous non stop woz bashing as well......
I don't think it comes close to AC/DC and the music is awful, imo, but I guess if you like Metallica.......

First off I am not a stern employee; second off I am just a collector for the past 13 plus years that has been supporting pinball and always willing to help out fellow collectors. Also I have not been saying anything negative about jersey jack lately. Also I found it un professional how Jack bashed on Stern non stop at first; which is what I did not understand and lastly hmm lets see what did I complain about on WOZ lack of flow and ramps. If you read the press release for Hobbit; then they must have been listening because they specified lots of metal ramps and fast flowing game too.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Sorry Lyman but you need more FLOW!!

Lyman hasn't designed a game yet, but it is worth thinking about that the software supports the design.

Also Lyman tends to update software on games more times than that hack Lonnie, so it can be assumed there will be more updates on Metallica.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from PinManV:

I've played it extensively here in the TC at Mortimer's, if you're referencing my post.

Wasn't necessarily referencing any one particular post, PinMan. More an overall amazement that people on the boards seem to make up their mind (at least to a certain extent) about such a large purchase based on short videos, pics, etc.

But then I'm relatively new to these forums, so it may be just the passionate nature of the folks who love this hobby.

That being said, I saw that pic of Ritchie on the Stern FB page with the laser pointer. It pretty much made me hate the new Star Trek pin from a "flow" standpoint.

#63 10 years ago

I carefully watched this video and here is what is going on. It took me a little while to figure it out.

1) Look at the back legs. They have this game sitting on the ground. That is slowing the ball down significantly.

2) Those slings are not set up the way the slings are at Enchanted Castle. In Lyman's game, he hits the left and right slings several times where the ball does not even move.

They obviously set this game up at Stern to maximize ball times so that he can demonstrate the various shots and modes.

My recommendation is to go out and play the game. If it is set up right, this game is really very fast. The balls keep coming at you until you start a multiball. Sure, you can trap it, but you can do that on any game if you have the skill. Again, give it a try.

#64 10 years ago

Pinside needs some Stern Moderators to shut you haters up !

Can you imagine the shit fest we would have on our hands if this was a WOZ thread!

We would have the dorks come in and say ," Look all the usual suspects hating in every thread"

Anyways carry on, this stuff is great !

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

More an overall amazement that people on the boards seem to make up their mind (at least to a certain extent) about such a large purchase based on short videos, pics, etc.

With the high re-sale value of pins, buyers can afford to take a gamble on buying a NIB without playing one first. Really, you can buy a pin NIB, play it for a month and if it isn't your cup of tea you can usually sell it for only a few hundred dollar loss. That's not a bad price to pay for entertainment. You can blow a few hundred in less fun ways than buying a NIB pinball. Now, if these machines dropped 25% or 50% of their value you could bet that everyone would be playing them first before committing to buying. It's really not that big of a risk....

#66 10 years ago

So, if someone doesn't agree with you, they're a hater?

Quoted from PinManV:

Hater.

Quoted from PinManV:

that lower playfield is a friggin waste of damn time and isn't even "real" pinball to me. Its like playing pachinko. Stupid stupid stupid.

#67 10 years ago

the callouts are horrendous.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from Blakesell:

Lyman hasn't designed a game yet

I was speaking to his playing style in the video above, not his programming.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

So, if someone doesn't agree with you, they're a hater?

Where have you been ? That is how pinside works . Hater

#70 10 years ago

Touche. However, the big difference here is my feedback is based on the fact I'VE ACTUALLY PLAYED BOTH GAMES. Sure still just my viewpoint, but those that haven't even played MET bashing it based on a video is just plain ignorant.

#71 10 years ago

There are a bunch of Metallica's out there now. Being so new, I know a lot of people have sought them out. I'm not sure what percentage of people have played them or not, but I don't think it's safe to assume that most people haven't by now.

Quoted from PinManV:

but those that haven't even played MET bashing it based on a video is just plain ignorant.

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I carefully watched this video and here is what is going on. It took me a little while to figure it out.
1) Look at the back legs. They have this game sitting on the ground. That is slowing the ball down significantly.
2) Those slings are not set up the way the slings are at Enchanted Castle. In Lyman's game, he hits the left and right slings several times where the ball does not even move.
They obviously set this game up at Stern to maximize ball times so that he can demonstrate the various shots and modes.
My recommendation is to go out and play the game. If it is set up right, this game is really very fast. The balls keep coming at you until you start a multiball. Sure, you can trap it, but you can do that on any game if you have the skill. Again, give it a try.

Unless something has changed, Sterns are supposed to have the levelers all the way down in the back. Of course, if someone wants to make the game steeper than 6.5 degrees, they can do that. I doubt if anyone has messed with the slings. I'll bet the game at Stern has more play on it and the leaf switches may have bent back a bit.

#73 10 years ago

I love the the layout. This is a Mans pin! I want it to be hard. Easy pins get kicked to the curb in my house. Great job playing with a camera over your shoulder.

What I got from Lymans Video....

1. The right ramp is back handable @ 14:45 he does it with ease.
2. The side to side action (challenging in IM and ACDC Pro) is mitigated by the right scoop and the Fuel shot.
3. Great lighting even for the Pro. Is that a LED under right ramp.
4. FUEL hurry up engine sound = American V8 Muscle = Good old days!
5. Seems very balanced.
6. Combos are active and love the call outs so far.
7. Modes stackable.
8. Challenging shots mixed with easy shots. Good for both novice players and experts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gzxc59Y6GcA

#74 10 years ago

agree...

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Too early to pay attention to anything right now. As we have seen before some of the best pins today were trashed early on and some of the worst pins were given positive early reviews... who knows, give it 6 weeks.

I agree. We have a very recent example of this with Avengers. All of the early reviews were extremely positive, and virtually all of the first owners praised the hell out of it in terms of game play (there were discussions of QC issues early on), then...it started to get more and more negative reviews and has taken a similar course to X-Men.

May take more than 6 weeks to get a more accurate feel for the reviews.

Also, like others have said, it's hard to gauge how the pin really plays by watching a video. Needs to be done in person.

Quoted from Av8:

love the call outs so far.

Really? The call outs are the worst thing about the pin so far in my opinion.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There's no way I'll ever own this... Metallica makes me want to put my head through a plate glass window.

Yet you are here_ reading a Metallica video thread.

How does it feel to put your head through a plate glass window? Is that something good?

#77 10 years ago

I hope the game is great but hated by all.

That way I can get a HUO pro for $3000

A Tony Hawk pin would look legit next to a Metallica machine.... Cough ahem hint

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I agree. We have a very recent example of this with Avengers. All of the early reviews were extremely positive, and virtually all of the first owners praised the hell out of it in terms of game play (there were discussions of QC issues early on), then...it started to get more and more negative reviews and has taken a similar course to X-Men.
May take more than 6 weeks to get a more accurate feel for the reviews.
Also, like others have said, it's hard to gauge how the pin really plays by watching a video. Needs to be done in person.

ALL early reviews? I never said Avengers was good... ever. I knew that was a turd when I saw the layout and ramps, if can call them that. X men I like when I figure out the rules.

I would look back to ACDC reviews which were mixed. I said homerun from day one I played it 3 hours straight. Metallica I havent played yet. If it plays anything like my AFM or MB Ill be saying Grand-slam Stern.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

the callouts are horrendous.

All are? Be specific man.

I like Sparky. Saying Lets GO!! I like the Snake burping. James saying hit the Ramp and JACKPOT! As long as they arent repeating alot Im good. Plus this early code callouts.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Tekman:

Great design and awesome art. The nonstop fast music is a bit more than I can handle the way they are utilizing it. Not sure this one will ever appeal to the masses.

He picked Battery like a boss. Heavy guitar in your face. Luckily for you as with ACDC you can pic a slower song.

#81 10 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Unless something has changed, Sterns are supposed to have the levelers all the way down in the back.

Only if you want a nap. Stern games should play steep and fast. I can't stand to play any Tron that doesn't have its back levelers out about two inches. If I was short, I'd be tempted to replace the front legs with Williams legs instead of jacking up the back levelers.

#82 10 years ago

I can beat Lyman Sheats?? Haha, probably not.

#83 10 years ago

I'm sure you can. I'm an ok player at best and I beat Lyman in two games at the first round of Pinferno. I went downhill after that and he came back and was at the top in the end. Everyone has good/bad games.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:I can beat Lyman Sheats?? Haha, probably not.

#84 10 years ago

This game looks pretty brutal, the ramps are very tight and don't seem tied to any modes as of yet, so not as worth going for. The shots Lyman is aiming for all give a pretty dangerous return. I see he waits for multiball to try to hit some of the "dangerous" left bank shots, but all I was thinking is that damn near every shot on this game is dangerous. As someone who likes the risk v. reward aspect of some games, Metallica seems disappointing in that category.

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

ALL early reviews? I never said Avengers was good... ever. I knew that was a turd when I saw the layout and ramps, if can call them that. X men I like when I figure out the rules.
I would look back to ACDC reviews which were mixed. I said homerun from day one I played it 3 hours straight. Metallica I havent played yet. If it plays anything like my AFM or MB Ill be saying Grand-slam Stern.

Man, I wish there was a way to subscribe to your posts since you are such a grandmaster of picking what games are good and bad.

Are any games inbetween "homerun" and "turd" for you? You seem to be a big cheerleader or absolute hater as far as titles go.

#87 10 years ago

I don't think he was shooting for score. He was trying to demonstrate each mb mode. Lightning and DMD. And the call outs. I'm sure he is looking for constructive feedback at this point of the code.

Shots aren't that dangerous. Nothing like Bsd. Or IM.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I wish there was a way to subscribe to your posts since you are such a grandmaster of picking what games are good and bad.

No need to pick just one pinsider , we all have opinions and some are stronger than others.. Pinside will show you the light !

#89 10 years ago

i'm blown away from all the negative comments made about this machine. it's going to be a 2 flipper masterpiece once the codes are finished. no more bulky toys in the lower pf, tighter shots you have to earn, 3 great mb modes, and I like the music and the callouts by the band. I remember xmen and trons first codes (they were even worse than what I've seen here). once he releases 2 or 3 more updates its going to insane!
thanks for posting the video!

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

All are? Be specific man.

The worst one i heard was the "super jackpot" callout at 11:13 ish. I thought someone filming or lyman said it when i heard it at first. I didn't notice the callouts being bad until i started listening more intently after hearing that one. James' callouts are pretty awful IMHO. Is that a reason not to buy the game? nah.

#91 10 years ago

Agreed Balls of Steel. Blown away. Look at Spiderman early code too. Now a 6K game.

Mccune and I will show you the way. Many opinions here. Just trying to help those from getting burned. I like baseball so I use Homerun alot. Turd instead of Sh..t

#92 10 years ago

I agree he bricks alot at the start, but he starts getting into it in the last 1/3 of the video. He probably has zero time on that exact machine in that exact spot. Once you've played your own game enough you learn the shots, angles, bounces, etc alot better..

I think it looks fun to shoot, hope Lyman spends lots of time with the code, and some sounds are axed/changed...

#93 10 years ago

To lock balls in Coffin MB you have to hit ALL guitar picks. Then the captive ball. I see him doing this in the first 3 minutes. Watch it again and watch the guitar pics.

Some are calling this missed/bricked shots.

Link for your convenience

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

With the high re-sale value of pins, buyers can afford to take a gamble on buying a NIB without playing one first. Really, you can buy a pin NIB, play it for a month and if it isn't your cup of tea you can usually sell it for only a few hundred dollar loss. That's not a bad price to pay for entertainment. You can blow a few hundred in less fun ways than buying a NIB pinball. Now, if these machines dropped 25% or 50% of their value you could bet that everyone would be playing them first before committing to buying. It's really not that big of a risk....

This is exactly how I look at it too.

#95 10 years ago

No one aims for those target's, It'a a bricked shot

Quoted from Av8:

To lock balls in Coffin MB you have to hit ALL guitar picks. Then the captive ball. I see him doing this in the first 3 minutes. Watch it again and watch the guitar pics.
Some are calling this missed/bricked shots.
Link for your convenience
» YouTube video

#96 10 years ago

Game looks great to me. Pinball is not a spectator sport, so it's hard to get a good feel for the game from a video.. but I like the theme, layout, and the code is infantile but you can bet that Lyman is full of pride when it comes to his work on these games, and Metallica will bloom over time IMO.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

First off I am not a stern employee; second off I am just a collector for the past 13 plus years that has been supporting pinball and always willing to help out fellow collectors.

so, you are saying you have no vested interest in how well Stern games do???

You are just a collector? No affiliation???

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

o, you are saying you have no vested interest in how well Stern games do???

You are just a collector? No affiliation???

I have known derek for years. He is just siked for pinball. Thats it.

#99 10 years ago

Lyman is the man!

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

No one aims for those target's, It'a a bricked shot

So, like, "bricks with benefits"?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 25.50
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 29.95
$ 12.95
7,600 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-metallica-played-by-lyman-sheats/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.