(Topic ID: 17753)

"video gaming dying" link (but pinball is coming back folks)

By playernumber4

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by islandpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago

The downturn that video game people are all in a tizzy about right now is simply because they are not making games that the public cares about right now. The entertainment world of business is like this, and I have worked within it and found it fascinating to see how a lot of people handle it -- the belief is that people have $XX for movies, $XX for games, $XX for amusement parks and so on, and those number never change.

The reality of the situation is that if the entertainment being offered resonates with the general public, they will find a way to purchase it. Look at the pinball industry - when the industry was making titles that didn't resonate with either operators or collectors (CSI, 24, WoF), the industry was about to go under. Now, really expensive LEs for titles are selling out in a heartbeat. Why? The themes and games are resonating better.

Can you predict what will resonate the best? Nope. But you can't blame things not resonating with a complete industry crash.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

The hefty price tags just are adding nails to the coffin for the people that enjoy it. 6-7K NIB for each title. MM/CC 14-15K. BBB 20K. Right.

Last I checked, you don't need a MM, CC or BBB to enjoy pinball. Hell, although I know a lot of people on this site don't agree, there are a ton of cheap early SS and EM titles that I think are just as much if not more fun than newer ones that you can get for $500 or less all day.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Patience and they are there. I had a Bally Space Time EM for sale on Craig's List for $500. I picked up a Gottlieb EM Cleopatra for $380 off of E-Bay. Those deals are not common but they are still possible.

If you're not looking for something immediately, they pop up relatively often and rarely sell quickly because a lot of collectors don't like the older stuff. I'm not talking System 11 either, I'm talking older than that.

I know there were a number of EMs at the MGC this year sitting for less than $500 still on the floor on Sunday morning. I have a buddy who bought one for $350 I think it was on Sunday.

I got a 4 Square not too long ago for $550, and I enjoy it just as much as any DMD title in my collection. Yeah, seriously. I had been watching for it for a while too (7 years), and of course as soon as I got it another three popped up, two for even better prices! Ah well, happy with my game

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.00
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 9.00
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.95
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 21.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 300.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside