(Topic ID: 17753)

"video gaming dying" link (but pinball is coming back folks)

By playernumber4

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by islandpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Interesting story on Yahoo news about the video game industry crashing, but some great comments at the end from gamers themselves as to why. It looks like greed from the console and game makers. I'm not a video gamer so its a geekspeak to me.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/video-game-industry-dying-175530304.html

#2 7 years ago

I didn't read the article BUT I think they will dig their own graves if they make the next generation of gaming console not backwards compatible and unable to play used video games.

#3 7 years ago

For sure if they force no secondary market less people will buy.
    I bought for my whole life but when I needed to come up with some cash in a hurry I could always Sell consoles or games as they hold there value well for about 20 years.
    Problem is kids today are use to the download your games and are ok with it.
    They will still get sales but they will dwindle I am sure.

IPAD and apps don't help either everyone has mind numbing games on smart phones or pads or laptops. Handhelds have no draw any longer and consoles are soon to follow. We will have smart TV's soon all in one entertainment.

I am glad I got a jump on them by selling off all duplicate console games and all arcade games and dumping the cash into pinball.

When I jump it is always head first.

#4 7 years ago

I've been a gamer for 30 years. The industry is not dying, rather the industry is not providing what the market wants.

While mobile devices will gain some limited market share they will never replace home gaming on HDTV's and surround sound. The consoles hardware has become quite dated and the software releases are nothing short of stale for the most part. Add in the money grabbing DLC marketing and is it any wonder that gamers are saying no to the current releases.

When the next generation consoles are released this same site will blog about the return of modern gaming. Happens every cycle.

#5 7 years ago

when it comes to multiplayer PC games, the rampant cheating with zero recourse is what's killing that market. I just uninstalled every version of call of duty, medal of honor, and battlefield off my pc. I won't be buying anything else from those series either.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from ThunderhorseCNC:

when it comes to multiplayer PC games, the rampant cheating with zero recourse is what's killing that market

I play on the 360, but I cannot tell you how many times in an hour I report people on COD for moding their controllers and cheating. And yet they all have 5 stars in player reviews.. the system is severly flawed. Plus the fact that they didn't get rid of that quick scope/no scope BS is just pure laziness. And the money grab of the DLC makes me sick. They release half a game for $60 and then make you pay more money for content that should have been included in the first place.

#7 7 years ago

Interesting article. Not being a gamer, I had never thought about how old the Xbox and PS3 were. Given how fast the technology sector is changing these days, a seven year old device seems like a ancient relic.

#8 7 years ago

The downturn that video game people are all in a tizzy about right now is simply because they are not making games that the public cares about right now. The entertainment world of business is like this, and I have worked within it and found it fascinating to see how a lot of people handle it -- the belief is that people have $XX for movies, $XX for games, $XX for amusement parks and so on, and those number never change.

The reality of the situation is that if the entertainment being offered resonates with the general public, they will find a way to purchase it. Look at the pinball industry - when the industry was making titles that didn't resonate with either operators or collectors (CSI, 24, WoF), the industry was about to go under. Now, really expensive LEs for titles are selling out in a heartbeat. Why? The themes and games are resonating better.

Can you predict what will resonate the best? Nope. But you can't blame things not resonating with a complete industry crash.

#9 7 years ago

The only thing I wish to comment on is the title of this thread as it says "but pinball is coming back folks" I didn't notice anywhere in the article stating pinball is making a comeback. Is this just speculation on behalf of the OP? Did I miss something in the article? I would like to see some analyst state that pinball is making a come back. Links?

#10 7 years ago

I'd rather spend $50 on playing pinball than on a video game.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

The only thing I wish to comment on is the title of this thread as it says "but pinball is coming back folks" I didn't notice anywhere in the article stating pinball is making a comeback. Is this just speculation on behalf of the OP? Did I miss something in the article? I would like to see some analyst state that pinball is making a come back. Links?

Yes....the "pinball is coming back" comment was my own added comment.

#12 7 years ago

Except for the small handful of people that collect, it's over Johnny. I don't think the general public, or the younger generation cares about pinball.

I don't think it's making a come back at all. The demand is small. There really is no market for it, besides supplying a small number of collectors. It's becoming obsolete. Pinball is on life support. It's a dying struggle to keep it alive.

The hefty price tags just are adding nails to the coffin for the people that enjoy it. 6-7K NIB for each title. MM/CC 14-15K. BBB 20K. Right.

#13 7 years ago

The article actually makes valid points.

The only thing I'd add is that we're also creeping to the end of this generation with the next being hinted at in the horizon (the article mentions this gen hanging for a tad longer than usual). The industry shakes itself up violently sometime between this time until a year or two into the new gen. Everyone complains about cash/sales issues and blames this, that or the other to explain their future mass lay offs and change in direction. At least, this phenomenon is what I've experienced since the transition to the PS1/Saturn era.

Then again...the only constant in the video game industry is change.

#14 7 years ago

I'm looking forward to what the next consoles are priced at. Sony overpriced the PS3 when it initially hit the market. That coupled with coming out later than the Xbox 360 really put them behind. When the 360 and PS3 came out there was still a market for PC gaming, but it was dropping off. Now unless you are into MMO's, many don't game on a PC anymore. I used to upgrade my PC when I bought a game that ran poorly on it. Now I don't game on it and use it as a multimedia server. The new consoles will be in competition with the old consoles, and tablets and smart phones, not so much with PC's. This is probably one reason that they have had such a long life cycle for this run.

#15 7 years ago

Consoles historically upgrade to the next gen every 5 years. Now they are spending too much time trying to breath new life into old consoles with add on peripherals like Kinect. Historically, this results in a hit title or two for the new peripheral (think Sega CD) followed by waning interest when they run out of ideas. It also pulls focus away from making quality standard titles and since it takes 1-3 yrs to make a big hit title, most developers start making games for a next gen system that's a long way from release. They are just trying to bridge the gap at this point with dime a dozen crap.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

The consoles hardware has become quite dated and the software releases are nothing short of stale for the most part. Add in the money grabbing DLC marketing and is it any wonder that gamers are saying no to the current releases.
    When the next generation consoles are released this same site will blog about the return of modern gaming. Happens every cycle.

Yeah, agree. I've looked into consoles but the prices have never really gone discount. $200+ for a five year old system? Negative.

As a PC gamer, the only thing that pisses me off is that a lot of "top" games are console ports. This has led to many games with 2004 graphics, over-simplified controls and dumbed-down game play.

#17 7 years ago

There are plenty of new games i want, im just not willing to spend $60 on a game, i usally wait until it comes down to $20 before i buy.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

The hefty price tags just are adding nails to the coffin for the people that enjoy it. 6-7K NIB for each title. MM/CC 14-15K. BBB 20K. Right.

Last I checked, you don't need a MM, CC or BBB to enjoy pinball. Hell, although I know a lot of people on this site don't agree, there are a ton of cheap early SS and EM titles that I think are just as much if not more fun than newer ones that you can get for $500 or less all day.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

I don't think the general public, or the younger generation cares about pinball.

I know a good amount of kids my age that would love to get their first pin, but I don't know if they'd be in it for the long run like me.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

Tommi_Gunn said:

Last I checked, you don't need a MM, CC or BBB to enjoy pinball. Hell, although I know a lot of people on this site don't agree, there are a ton of cheap early SS and EM titles that I think are just as much if not more fun than newer ones that you can get for $500 or less all day.

I understand your point. I wish I liked the early ss and em's as much. I would have been done years ago. Bought in bulk.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from goatdan:

there are a ton of cheap early SS and EM titles that I think are just as much if not more fun than newer ones that you can get for $500 or less all day.

Please show me where they are listed because CL and ebay all show $1000 and more for early SS and EMs.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

+1

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

goatdan said:there are a ton of cheap early SS and EM titles that I think are just as much if not more fun than newer ones that you can get for $500 or less all day.
    Please show me where they are listed because CL and ebay all show $1000 and more for early SS and EMs.

Patience and they are there. I had a Bally Space Time EM for sale on Craig's List for $500. I picked up a Gottlieb EM Cleopatra for $380 off of E-Bay. Those deals are not common but they are still possible.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Patience and they are there. I had a Bally Space Time EM for sale on Craig's List for $500. I picked up a Gottlieb EM Cleopatra for $380 off of E-Bay. Those deals are not common but they are still possible.

They are few and far between in my neck of the woods. But thanks for the encouragement! I will have to be patient yet quick on the draw if I see one for under a grand. lol

#25 7 years ago

Let it Die, I could not care less, Long live the Silver Ball. a Real game of skill....

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Chudmeat said:goatdan said:there are a ton of cheap early SS and EM titles that I think are just as much if not more fun than newer ones that you can get for $500 or less all day.

They are def there. I paid $300 for HS, $350 for time machine(DE), $400 for transporter, $500 for ninja turtles. All CL, eBay and estate sales. The deal is you have to be dedicated and look your a$$ off. Check CL 50 times a day and be at the estate sales 20in before they open. When the good deals surface their gone in 10 min. If you look once or twice a day the deal came and gone and you never even know you missed it.

The console games can be beat. In a day or two many of them. Once you beat them their no fun. My kids have so many games that cost 50-60$ that they beat in a weekend it makes me sick. Once it's been beat it sits on a shelf forever. Pins are not that way. Short of completing wizard mode(I've never done it) you just beat your own high scores, or my wife's high scores. That dosent get old so easy because competition in added into the factor. Then when you are done with the console game try selling it for what you have into it. Not going to happen. Pins hold there value to a point.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Garrett said:Chudmeat said:goatdan said:there are a ton of cheap early SS and EM titles that I think are just as much if not more fun than newer ones that you can get for $500 or less all day.
    They are def there. I paid $300 for HS, $350 for Time Machine(DE), $400 for transporter, $500 for ninja turtles. All CL, eBay and estate sales. The deal is you have to be dedicated and look your a$$ off. Check CL 50 times a day and be at the estate sales 20in before they open. When the good deals surface their gone in 10 min. If you look once or twice a day the deal came and gone and you never even know you missed it.
    The console games can be beat. In a day or two many of them. Once you beat them their no fun. My kids have so many games that cost 50-60$ that they beat in a weekend it makes me sick. Once it's been beat it sits on a shelf forever. Pins are not that way. Short of completing wizard mode(I've never done it) you just beat your own high scores, or my wife's high scores. That dosent get old so easy because competition in added into the factor. Then when you are done with the console game try selling it for what you have into it. Not going to happen. Pins hold there value to a point.

Vids are only like that if there is no good multiplayer mode (or the game just straight up sucks). I definitely recommend buying used unless it has a big, active multiplayer component that the kids are aching to leap into ASAP. A good competitive multiplayer centric video game is as addictive as any pinball machine...believe it or not.

...or tell your kids to buy their own damned 60 dollar video games.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

AMEN!

#29 7 years ago

Hard to belive with Video Games out grossing Blockbuster Movies.

Call of Duty broke 1 Billion in sales (yes 1 billiion with a B dollars) for one release. Look it up on Google.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

If you're not looking for something immediately, they pop up relatively often and rarely sell quickly because a lot of collectors don't like the older stuff. I'm not talking System 11 either, I'm talking older than that.

I know there were a number of EMs at the MGC this year sitting for less than $500 still on the floor on Sunday morning. I have a buddy who bought one for $350 I think it was on Sunday.

I got a 4 Square not too long ago for $550, and I enjoy it just as much as any DMD title in my collection. Yeah, seriously. I had been watching for it for a while too (7 years), and of course as soon as I got it another three popped up, two for even better prices! Ah well, happy with my game

#31 7 years ago

I think E3 starts today, and it sounds like there will be a big unveil there from the pinball world (WoZ)!

looking forward to the video and the gamers opinions. Any West Coast pinsiders going to E3?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,499.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 18.99
    Playfield - Protection
    PinShield
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 199.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside