Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Billy-Mitchell-Tattoo.jpg
    ScreenShot2014-01-19at7_24_23PM_crop_north.png
    84139445.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago

I've always loved both pins and vids since the late 70's. To say that vids require little skill is erroneous, they're just very different skillsets. For pins you need a good feel for physics, gravity, "bounce", timing, even a sense of geometry in instantly calculating the trajectory a ball will follow; and these same skills pretty much apply to every machine. None of these "real life" skills apply to vids except timing, but the greatest skill you need there is pattern recognition and mastery, and even then you need the ability to deal with the unexpected, as patterns aren't always foolproof. Donkey Kong is a perfect example of that; you need a higher level of skill / a different skillset to break 100k than you do 25k, likewise a 200k game vs 100k, 500k vs 200k, etc. My high on DK is 537k, so I have some skill there, but I don't possess the skill required to boast a kill screen game. And then more than that, the guys that wring every last point out of a kill screen game and hit as high as 1.1 - 1.2 million, that is unfathomable to me, to be able to find every possible angle and exploit them all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-games-require-little-skill-unlike-pinball?tu=jibmums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.