4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Wickerman2
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 months ago

Video doorbells seem to be the hot new "smart" home device. I'm thinking about getting one. I like the idea of seeing who's been on my front porch and potentially have video evidence if something nefarious happens.

I'm hoping to get one that integrates into my existing doorbell transformer. We also have lots of deer in our area, as in a small heard of 10-20 that pass through daily (and nightly). Will they trigger alerts? I'd like to avoid monthly fees and charges, so something that stores video on my own existing cloud storage or physical storage would be great. $3/month doesn't seem like a lot, but that stuff adds up, and I'd rather not get caught up in that world of nickel and dime services.

So, what do people like and use? Any recommendations?

#2 4 months ago

I had a Ring Pro for a year but wanted something that merged into my Blue Iris setup. I hated having the front door on another app and not merged into my dashboard of Cams. It's sitting in a box somewhere. Now I have an RCA badged HikVision, the image quality is 2x better than Ring Pro and no monthly fee. The 2-way audio through the app is not the best, but has worked for me the 1-2 times I've had to use it.

amazon.com link »

Like pinball, it depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. If you don't want to run your own dedicated on premises recorder, or add additional cameras, I'd just go with Ring or something similar and be done with it.

#3 4 months ago

http://www.gocontrol.com/dbc.php
    I've been very happy with my Go Control doorbell. Powered by the existing transformer. Free DNS service to let you log into the camera and speakerphone in real time. Motion sensor is sensitive enough to capture our cats running across the driveway 30-40' away.

#4 4 months ago

I liked my video doorbell but it got stolen by some ding-dong.

#5 4 months ago
    Quoted from radium:

I liked my video doorbell but it got stolen by some ding-dong.

LOL.......now that's funny!!

John

#6 4 months ago

Happy Ring customer here.

#7 4 months ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Video doorbells seem to be the hot new "smart" home device. I'm thinking about getting one. I like the idea of seeing who's been on my front porch and potentially have video evidence if something nefarious happens.
    I'm hoping to get one that integrates into my existing doorbell transformer. We also have lots of deer in our area, as in a small heard of 10-20 that pass through daily (and nightly). Will they trigger alerts? I'd like to avoid monthly fees and charges, so something that stores video on my own existing cloud storage or physical storage would be great. $3/month doesn't seem like a lot, but that stuff adds up, and I'd rather not get caught up in that world of nickel and dime services.
    So, what do people like and use? Any recommendations?

The Ring will keep the battery charged if you have a conventional transformer powered electromechanical chime/bell. You can adjust the sensitivity based on height of the unit versus the walkway height and distance from street if applicable.

You do get charged for cloud storage but since we just cut off cable, we're saving over six bucks a day.

#8 4 months ago

I heard those things attract craazzy people. Sorry.... it leave now.

https://abc7.com/video-prowler-spends-3-hours-licking-doorbell-at-ca-home/5033951/

#10 4 months ago

Ring and similar are closed systems. As long as you're cool with paying for the monthly service I suppose they are fine. For my needs, they do not integrate with my Blue Iris surveillance system so they're out. My front door cam is a Dahua DB-11 and it works fantastic - but its a POE IP cam and needs a CAT5 cable and POE switch so may not meet your needs.

#11 4 months ago

Owning both of the two big brandsNest and Ring. Best was better overall: reliability with WiFi, better picture, less latency etc.

#12 4 months ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

Ring and similar are closed systems. As long as you're cool with paying for the monthly service I suppose they are fine. For my needs, they do not integrate with my Blue Iris surveillance system so they're out. My front door cam is a Dahua DB-11 and it works fantastic - but its a POE IP cam and needs a CAT5 cable and POE switch so may not meet your needs.

Correction - DB-11 is running off 24v DC with existing doorbell wiring. I had an other using POE that I moved. Sorry for bad info.

#13 4 months ago

Considering that they glue onto the wall, wear a mask pull it off the wall put it in your pocket and then take the package

#14 4 months ago

We have had Ring for about 6 months now, overall very happy with it. Sadly though, it caught my daughter backing out of the drive without looking right into another girl on their way to school. We now use the video to tease her

#15 4 months ago

I have had the Ring Pro since it came out, and it works great. My neighbor bought the Ring 2 but it is confined to the 2.4GHz and mine is the 5G which I think offers a better 1080p image, and the Pro model, motion trigger zone/s is more detailed and more adjustable also...

#16 4 months ago

Watch "Live PD: Searching for the Doorbell Licker (Season 3) | A&E" on YouTube

You should ask this nut job.

#17 4 months ago

I’ve had the Nest for a month and no problems. Works great and $5/months keeps 5 days of 24c7 video in the cloud and does facial recognition.

#18 4 months ago

Have a Ring...you can select the alert area sort of but the deer will probably trigger it. All that means is it will record the deer for 30 seconds or so. Unless you have alerts sent to your phone for all motion it shouldn't bother you. If you are trying to find a specific incident and it records dozens of wildlife/cars/etc. it is a pain but actual rings are labelled as such and easy to find and you can answer your ring via phone and talk etc of course.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Republic Of Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 11.95
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Star Wars Premium Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 58.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 129.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 109.99
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside