Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8868 (resized).JPG
IMG_0186 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

I ordered a VGA video amplifier from Ultimarc and got into the back of my Revenge From Mars machine to see what it would take to install it. The good news is that my VGA board output 5V on pin 9, so I won't have to add an extra wire to power the amplifier. From reading I understand P2000 machines were shipped with either Ducksan or Wells Gardner monitors. My monitor has a sticker saying it's an Orion A48JLL40X. I've done a bit or searching online trying to determine if this is something different or is actually a Ducksan or Wells Gardner, but haven't come up with anything definitive. I've attached a photo of the wiring going into the Molex connector from the VGA cable if that helps.

Which monitor do I have, as the wiring instructions are different depending on the manufacture?

IMG_0186 (resized).JPGIMG_0186 (resized).JPGIMG_8868 (resized).JPGIMG_8868 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

Testing them out with a multimeter they're (top to bottom) Red, Green, Blue, Ground, Horizontal Sync, Vertical Sync (most of which one would have guessed from the wiring colors). The Ultimarc only has one sync terminal, though, going to have to read up on that.

#3 4 years ago

Orion A48JLL40X is the brand and model number of the monitor tube, not of the monitor itself. You need to look at the monitor chassis to determine which monitor you have.

#4 4 years ago

Yea, that number is the picture tube. The 48 in the number is the diagonal measurement in cm. 48cm is a 19" monitor.

#5 4 years ago

Regardless of which monitor I have, I hooked up the amplifier based on the VGA pin-outs I'd verified. The good news is the amplifier works. The bad news is it works too well, the monitor is now overdriven to the point where there's a ton of bleed-over and it's almost impossible to read the menus.

With the amplifier I need to turn down the native brightness. Looking through the manual didn't help, but searching online suggests this is done by adjusting potentiometers on the circuit board at the end of the "neck" of the CRT. Is that correct?

1 week later
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Vicenza:

Regardless of which monitor I have, I hooked up the amplifier based on the VGA pin-outs I'd verified. The good news is the amplifier works. The bad news is it works too well, the monitor is now overdriven to the point where there's a ton of bleed-over and it's almost impossible to read the menus.
With the amplifier I need to turn down the native brightness. Looking through the manual didn't help, but searching online suggests this is done by adjusting potentiometers on the circuit board at the end of the "neck" of the CRT. Is that correct?

You do need to make adjustments but not generally to the pots on the back of the neck board, but rather on the chassis edge of the main monitor boards or from an adjustment card that's attached to it.

I have the Ducksan monitor and when I take off my front transglass, I have a control board with several pots that allow me to adjust brightness, size and hold. Many of my arcade games have Wells Garner and if thy don't have the remote control board, the pots will be on the edge of the monitor chassis.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (OBO)
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/video-amp-for-rfmorion-monitor?hl=ronkz650 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.