By Scar

3 months ago

Stats

• 44 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by flakeloaf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 months ago

I have been lurking here the past couple weeks trying to decide if I wanted to jump from arcades to pins. The decision was sort of made for me when my neighbor picked up a Mr and Mrs Pacman for me. Playfield and cabinet are beautiful but it's missing the backglass and dead when powered on but for a few hundred $ I told him I would take it.

I currently have 15 arcade machines.
    1. Simpsons Bowling/ World class bowling on a switcher.
    2. Killer instinct running KI1 and KI2 on a switcher
    3. NFL Blitz 99
    4. NBA Jam
    5. TMNT
    6. Simpsons
    7-8. Cruis'n Worldx2 (linked pair)
    9-10. Time Crisis 2 (linked pair well a duel cabinet)
    11. Road Burners
    12. Mortal Kombat 2 (hate the game but my wife loves it)
    13. Carnevil
    14. Mrs PAC/Galaga Reunion machine
    15. 60-1 cabinet
    16. PubTime dart machine
    17. Fireball Skeeball
    Plus a few projects in the garage.

When I first started collecting I was givin a Williams Pharoh in amazing shape but did not always boot so sometimes it was playable and sometimes not. I could not figure it out and was not a modern pin I grew up seeing so I quickly sold it (for $750)and bought more arcade games. I regret selling it now that I realize what a fun a game it was.

So as I figure out what's going on with the PAC pin I have I can't help think with the PAC maze it's a slower playing pin. So I decided that I want a more traditional playing pin.

My kids are throwing a fit but I decided to sell my Carnevil (I know I will regret it being a hard to find game that everyone seems to want) but I have a buyer offering $1000 for it. It hurts thinking about selling it but I don't have much extra funds to just a pin with 4 kids and 1 starting college.

I would love a modern DMD style pin but sadly don't know how I can save $2500+ for one. I have only paid $100-400 for each of my vids and repaired them all. So what is a fun playing modern style pin in the $1000-1500 range. Being new to pins my eyes love ramp,toys and busy playfields (TMNT,Simpsons,rescue 911,Jurassic park,T2, South Park) but know they are not always the best games.

Wow that was long sorry and thanks for any advise

#2 3 months ago

Hey Scar the best route to go for learning and fun is look for the Williams system 11 machines from 1986-90. They have a wide range of titles and prices but there is tons of parts available and knowledge banks out there that it makes working on them fun. You can do a lot with them on a modest budget including upgrading to LED lights and Titan competition rings. Playfield condition is always your first place to decide on buying. Look for ones that don't have large patches of wear in the playfield. Machines can always be fixed, circuit board and parts replaced but replacing the playfield is a very challenging and expensive endeavor.

#3 3 months ago

You're going to have a tough time finding any salvageable system 11 for 1k. And a tough time finding any of the more fun system 11s in playable condition for 1.5k.

Start with a system 6 or 7, eg the Pharoah that you once gave up. The number one pin that comes to mind reading your writeup is Firepower. Fast playing, fun, 3 ball multiball.

#4 3 months ago

Or you could sell a few more vids and get yourself a 2.5 - 3.5k pin. This is the best option.

#5 3 months ago

I have a StarShip Troopers for sale in Chicago for $1800... that's pretty cheap for a good DMD game

#6 3 months ago

I considered selling more vids but the only game I have that I HATE is Mortal Kombat 2 and my wife will not let me sell that. Every other one I have is something I grew up playing and still play at least weekly. Carnevil is the most fun shooter ever made but the replay value sucks so that's the one I can let go of.

Only other option I can think of is selling my Simpsons cabinet and running it with a switcher in my TMNT cab but the 2 of them look so good next to each other.

I saw your starship troopers and would love to buy it but today I made my son's first college payment and only have the extra $1000 from selling my Carnevil it would take a month or 2 to save the extra fun money to buy it.

#7 3 months ago

The entry level on DMD games seems to be about 2K minimum these days. I just scored a Judge Dredd working but needing some help off of my local CL for $1700 after some negotiation, so the deals are still out there, just few and far between. But if you move up a grand you'll have an easier time of it.

BUT... if $1500 is where it has to be, look for those less regarded Bally Williams games like Dredd, Hurricane,DemoMan... or DE titles like Lethal Weapon 3, Checkpoint, etc... Gottliebs are good too. People get all snobby about some of them but they're still pins and still fun!

#8 3 months ago
    Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

I have a StarShip Troopers for sale in Chicago for $1800... that's pretty cheap for a good DMD game

That's a great one for the price!

#9 3 months ago

Might be able to get a project DMD under $1500 if you are comfortable fixing it up like you did on the vids, but it could be quite a wait for the ideal project. As gunstarhero mentioned above, I was going to suggest Lethal Weapon 3. Pinside average is at $1500. It is not a toy-laden game, but it is DMD and has a number of shots and has ramps so it meets some of your target features (I think the layout is a lot like T2, which was in your list).

#10 3 months ago

There have been some fun system 11 games that recently all sold for less than $1500 each here in Florida- Roller Games, Space Shuttle, Game Show, Jokerz. System 11's have crept up in price but you can still find some deals. Good luck!

#11 3 months ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

You're going to have a tough time finding any salvageable system 11 for 1k. And a tough time finding any of the more fun system 11s in playable condition for 1.5k.

I got two words to say to this...Road and Kings...(Road Kings RK) is a great cheap first pin...I was same as you op...sold all my vids now it's all pins...seems this is the story for many of us here....good luck...!!!............Joey

#12 3 months ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I was able to get my Whirlwind and Earthshaker for around $1,500 each two years ago. Both working, and both not in terrible shape, but definitely serviceable. OP, you gotta go to the shows. That's where you can find some good deals, AND play the games before you decide to pull the trigger on them.

#14 3 months ago

Not sure about in Indiana but there are plenty of good sub 1500 games in New England. Don't overlook the Sega DMD games...some great value there.

#15 3 months ago

If you are willing to spend a little more, you might be able to get a nice Dracula in the 1.8K-2K range. It's a fun and brutal machine. I couldn't stop playing it when I had it. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, I had to let it go, but I plan on getting another one soon

#16 3 months ago

Don't overlook Checkpoint. It's fun for less than 1500. Also, LW3 is a good game for the $. Teed Off and Cue Ball Wizard are both good games as well on the cheap.

#17 3 months ago

So I mentioned a local vid collector I was thinking about pins and gave me leads on a few machines and have been told all are working but need cleaned up.
    Space Invaders $900 has some playfield wear.
    High Speed $800 minor playfield wear
    Baywatch $1300 knows it works but will get me pics if it.
    I am leaning towards the Baywatch but if it truly is working and in decent shape. Figure worst case I don't like it and can always trade for another decent Modern pin.
    What's everyone's opinions?

#18 3 months ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

BUT... if $1500 is where it has to be, look for those less regarded Bally Williams games like Dredd, Hurricane,DemoMan... or DE titles like Lethal Weapon 3, Checkpoint, etc... Gottliebs are good too. People get all snobby about some of them but they're still pins and still fun!

Any game with Mel Gibson on it can be found for less than $2000 without too much effort. The only trouble with Maverick is that it uses a different size DMD.

#19 3 months ago

Never played it, but from what I've read here, you're on the right path. Baywatch seems like a winner, and the price is right if working and playfield isn't destroyed I think.

#20 3 months ago
    Quoted from Scar:

So I mentioned a local vid collector I was thinking about pins and gave me leads on a few machines and have been told all are working but need cleaned up.
    Space Invaders $900 has some playfield wear.
    High Speed $800 minor playfield wear
    Baywatch $1300 knows it works but will get me pics if it.
    I am leaning towards the Baywatch but if it truly is working and in decent shape. Figure worst case I don't like it and can always trade for another decent Modern pin.
    What's everyone's opinions?

Space Invaders is very old feeling... cool looking game tho.

High Speed is a real classic, fun to play, great sound, cool theme. I'd jump on it personally.

Baywatch isn't bad, probably the one that you're looking for since you want a DMD game, but the theme leaves me cold.

#21 3 months ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Space Invaders is very old feeling... cool looking game tho.
    High Speed is a real classic, fun to play, great sound, cool theme. I'd jump on it personally.
    Baywatch isn't bad, probably the one that you're looking for since you want a DMD game, but the theme leaves me cold.

DITTO High Speed Jump on it!

#22 3 months ago

Get the High Speed! Perfect!

#23 3 months ago

Double Ditto: High Speed at that price is the win!

#24 3 months ago

High Speed!... Earthshaker, Whirl wind.

#25 3 months ago

High speed? High speed Getaway looked better to me but I know High Speed is considered a classic. I thought it was a $1200 game? Baywatch seems to be a $2500 game that if I don't like I can trade up to something like a whirlwind or monopoly.

#26 3 months ago

Yeah I don't see anyone trading a Whirlwind or Monopoly for for a Baywatch, but I guess you never know.

I'd just rather play and own High Speed myself. Not that Baywatch is a bad game, it's actually pretty okay. Just make sure that big ass DMD is good, because they're hard to replace.

#27 3 months ago

I paid and sold a High Speed for 950 a few years ago. Beat up cabinet but 100% working. There's also a Party Zone possibly still for sale for 1800 in Chicago. You can find deals but patience is key. I'd suggest favoriting the Indiana, Michigan, and Chicago for sale threads and keep an eye on those.

Or refreshing Craigslist 100 times a day and be willing to drive 20 hours overnight round trip like a lot of these dudes around here.

#28 3 months ago

High speed.

You better watch out though. Something tells me more vids are on the way out and more pins are coming in. The kids will like pins better anyway.
    Vids are about memorizing patterns and skill. Pins are skill and luck.

#30 3 months ago

Of course it's a good deal, but if you like the Baywatch better don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you like DMDs like me and the theme isn't an issue for you, Baywatch won't disappoint. Sega system 3b games like Baywatch and Maverick are pretty solid, the only major point of failure most of the time is the display. It's a jumbo 192x64 display that usually runs about $400-$500 to replace. If you end up getting the game and the display goes out, there is a German mod developer that has a replacement LED kit. But that involves a bit of research. Otherwise the original plasma DMDs are $500+ and harder to find.

#31 3 months ago

I prefer Baywatch to High Speed. If you decide to sell I think that the Baywatch is also the better deal as I haven't seen many priced that low anytime recently. I also think you are correct that High Speed The Getaway is a much better game.

#32 3 months ago
    Quoted from skywelker:

I also think you are correct that High Speed The Getaway is a much better game.

You are not going to find one in ok condition in price range i wouldnt think. Not in my parts at least.

For the price range, try going with an earlier solid state like..
    Firepower
    Alien poker
    Gorgar
    Flash
    Or less sought after system 11s like Big Guns, Road Kings etc would also work.

#33 3 months ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

If you are willing to spend a little more, you might be able to get a nice Dracula in the 1.8K-2K range. It's a fun and brutal machine. I couldn't stop playing it when I had it. I highly recommend it. Unfortunately, I had to let it go, but I plan on getting another one soon

If you're talking about BSD, that's now been a $2.5-3k game for several years. If you spot one for $2k, scoop it up!

#34 3 months ago

Welcome to the sickness lol

You're local, if you have Thursdays free come out and join us for league! Its in Schererville.

You'll be able to get some better deals too!

#35 3 months ago

Thanks for the offer Slim, sadly I SUCK at pinball. I need a couple machines to learn how to play before I embarrass myself in a league.
    I do have plenty of Vids and would gladly host a drinking night.

#36 3 months ago

Take it from me. It is highly unlikely you'll find a good DMD pin <$1500 at today's prices. Odds are just the occasional shitty one.

With that said, your budget is fine. I think the best bang for the buck for you is the mid-80's Williams stuff. My top recommendations are High Speed, Space Shuttle, or Sorcerer.

I went through a phase with the early 80s pins and they're great too, but the mid-80's stuff is a bit more advanced in terms of features, sounds, ramps and light show. And they're a tad easier to find in good condition. The best late 80s pins are getting into the $2k territory. And the 90s DMD pins are mostly even pricier.

#37 3 months ago

$1,300 for a player's Baywatch is solid. I'll agree the theme isn't the best, but the gameplay is top notch.

#38 3 months ago

personally i'd rather have a well-regarded classic solid state game than a bottom of the barrel DMD. it's not my money, though. good luck!

#39 3 months ago

Having played both, High Speed is much more fun, but I love system 11's. $800 fully working with a little wear is a good price.

Baywatch is okay play wise, and a great deal at $1300! I don't think you'll necessarily do poorly with either choice.

I'd try to do all I could to get both in a combo deal for $2k! <-- Best value here.

But are you buying a pin for fun or for status/resell? Just get which one you like better.

#40 3 months ago

Honestly I think you will get a lot more value and bang for your buck if you bump yourself up to the 2k range. You can find some of the "lower tier" bally williams dmd titles in that price range. hs2, black rose, demo man, ect. All great games and significant step ups from what you can find in the 1.5k range. I realize its a slippery slope to say bump up your budget to XX, but in this case I think it really is worth it.

#41 3 months ago

High Speed has best bang/buck ratio if you find a decent example.

#42 3 months ago
    Quoted from Scar:

High speed? High speed Getaway looked better to me but I know High Speed is considered a classic. I thought it was a $1200 game? Baywatch seems to be a $2500 game that if I don't like I can trade up to something like a whirlwind or monopoly.

Yes. High Speed. Great pin.

#43 3 months ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

personally i'd rather have a well-regarded classic solid state game than a bottom of the barrel DMD. it's not my money, though. good luck!

Couldnt agree more !

#44 3 months ago

$800 is nearly "Rent a truck and drive to Indiana" value for that pin, IMO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 989.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.95
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 6.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside