Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by PaulyB18
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumbler.jpg
    ew_tumbler.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

I'm looking for a small parts tumbler, preferably a good quality one that won´t break within a week. I´ve been looking at the ones at Eastwood and this one http://www.eastwood.com/5-lb-vibratory-tumbler-kit-inc-2-bowls-and-media.html seems interesting but I'm not sure they will ship to Sweden. Witch ones are you guys using and are there similar cheaper versions?

ew_tumbler.jpgew_tumbler.jpg

#3 12 years ago

This is the one I just got. Dropped a blunt hint to wife for a B-day present! Anyways, I could not be more happy with this one. Does a fantastic job and I got it because several other pin heads recommended it. Not sure of there shipping policies. Whichever one you decide on, get some Flitz tumbler media with it. Works great and cuts down the tumbling time considerably. You can order Flitz at Cabelas as well.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lyman-1200-PRO-Tumbler/705522.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtumbler%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=tumbler&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

#4 12 years ago

For years the Berry's Tumblers were the defacto standard for pinball restorations. I've read that the quality hasn't been as good in very recent years, but they're good about honoring warranty. I've had my Berry for 8 years and have nearly worn a hole through the bowl and it's still kicking.

#5 12 years ago

I need one now, anyone live close to a cabelas or harborfreight store? They don't seem to be interested sending stuff to Europe, probably some tax issue thingy. PM me if anyone is interested doing a huge favor for a tumbler less Swede. I will pay items and shipping in advance with PayPal.

2 months later
    #6 12 years ago

Sweet! i got my tumbler today and its huge, thank you Kane for helping me out man, i owe you a huge favour. Now i just need to get some media for it and test it on all metal parts from a Genesis. BTW what kind of media do you guys use for metal posts, ramps etc.?

tumbler.jpgtumbler.jpg

#7 12 years ago

I am actually going to pick up some media right now and try for the first time. I am using corncob pieces that are used for hamster bedding and some car polish.

#8 12 years ago

Interesting, like ordinary corn you make popcorn from? please let me know how that works.

#9 12 years ago

Yeah the cob is what holds the corn into place when it is fresh. The pieces are broken down into small chunks and they use it for hamster bedding since it is not eddible. I'll let you know in a couple days, I heard to wait 48 hours but I will be pulling it out every so often to see how it looks.

#10 12 years ago

What about walnut shells?

I see places that sell sand blasting equipment have lots of medium, for cheap prices.

#11 12 years ago

I like the idea of using biological media that dissolves in nature, compared to those plastic ones that takes like 4 million years or something

#12 12 years ago

You can also get crushed walnut shells cheap at pet supply stores. They are used for reptile bedding.

#13 12 years ago

I too use the Harbor Freight one, just be sure to use a lock nut on the lid, I shelled one of the shafts because the wing nut came loose, this is the only draw back to this one. But easily remedied with a lock nut. Plus it is only $50

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I too use the Harbor Freight one, just be sure to use a lock nut on the lid, I shelled one of the shafts because the wing nut came loose, this is the only draw back to this one. But easily remedied with a lock nut. Plus it is only $50

I have had mine in for 5 minutes and have already had this happen to me. Got it yesterday, this is my first detailed shop job.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

You can also get crushed walnut shells cheap at pet supply stores. They are used for reptile bedding.

Yup this stuff is great and cheap, $12.99 for a monster bag at Petsmart and it is dammed near a lifetime supply. I use Novus 3 instead of Fitz and I get great results. When using Fitz, make sure it is for chrome and not brass or some other metals as it WILL take the chrome right off the parts and turn them black. Yes, I made that mistake ONCE

#17 12 years ago

Corncob is really more of a final show polish media. It isn't aggressive enough to remove heavy grime or cut through surface rust.

Start with crushed walnut shells as suggested, many are plenty happy with the results of using only walnut.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

$12.99 for a monster bag at Petsmart and it is dammed near a lifetime supply.

+1 Just read this on another post and picked some up as well...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vibratory-tumbler-tips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.