1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Chuckwebster
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

99992927-FFA3-4638-BA63-8C7AA410A6D3 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

My Berry's finally crapped out after 13 years so I'll need to replace it with something. I'm hoping to get some opinions. Should I just go with another Berry, or are people using something else. Are there good alternatives to get the parts shined up? Any input welcomed, TIA.

#2 1 year ago

Berry's are still just as good as ever. Get another one.

#3 1 year ago

Bump on this.

I need to get a new tumbler as well. What are people using for media?

#4 1 year ago

For me, being near nut country, i just buy crushed walnut shell media.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

For me, being near nut country, i just buy crushed walnut shell media.

Some would say more soup than nuts these days.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Some would say more soup than nuts these days

More of an etouffee perhaps.
    Too soon?

#8 1 year ago

forceflow I saw that Harbor Freight tumbler and it looked good, but the reviews were mixed. You've had no problems? They always have sales and labor day holiday is certainly no exception.

#9 1 year ago

I go myself this thing and never looked back. Dilon Precision. This thing is huge!!!!

pasted_image (resized).png

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from okorange:

forceflow I saw that Harbor Freight tumbler and it looked good, but the reviews were mixed. You've had no problems? They always have sales and labor day holiday is certainly no exception.

The lid has flattened down after screwing down so many times, but that's about it.

#11 1 year ago

Bought the Harbor Freight model today. Wow, way larger than the old model I was using. Thanks for the input guys.

#12 1 year ago

Not knowing any better and I cannot compare with walnut shells, but I have been using corn cob media and have had real good luck with it.

#13 1 year ago

I believe the walnut shells are more aggressive. I've used them with good results for a long time.

5 months later
    #14 8 months ago

I want to buy my first tumbler. How about this one?

amazon.com link »

#15 8 months ago

That one works fine too. I use one of these and one from Cabelas.

#16 8 months ago

Just chiming in to voice my thoughts on the Harbor Freight tumbler. Still works great, and I've owned it for about 7 years now. They had a spare "tank" on clearance at the store the other day that I bought. I keep one tank full of walnut shells and the other filled with corn cob media. My plan is to just swap them out instead of dumping the media out to go from abrasives to polishing.

#17 8 months ago

So what is best for polishing?

#18 8 months ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

So what is best for polishing?

I've generally used Walnut media for burnishing and light rust removal, and corn cob media for polishing. I've seen ads online for something called "stainless steel shot" but I don't have any experience with it. Maybe someone with more tumbling knowledge can chime in?

#19 8 months ago

Walnut is great as a cleaner, and it really does a great job polishing too if you add a little bit of Novus 3 to the mix. I pretty much just use that all the time. I mayhave to try Corn Cob eventually...

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Walnut is great as a cleaner, and it really does a great job polishing too if you add a little bit of Novus 3 to the mix. I pretty much just use that all the time. I mayhave to try Corn Cob eventually...

I don't have a lot of experience with corn cob, but the one time I tried it, it seemed to do the same as walnut shells but took a lot longer.

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I don't have a lot of experience with corn cob, but the one time I tried it, it seemed to do the same as walnut shells but took a lot longer.

Oh well, screw that then. I just put a bunch of stuff in the tumbler before I took an hour-long conference call, and other than a blob of Novus 3 (guess I used too much), the parts are already shiny as hell. This is from what has got to be one of the dirtiest games I've ever seen.

#22 8 months ago

May I ask if you can clean polish and reuse pinballs using one of these,I know nothing about these machines.

#23 8 months ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

May I ask if you can clean polish and reuse pinballs using one of these,I know nothing about these machines.

You technically could, but it’s not the best idea for 2 reasons:

1) PinballS are really cheap

2) worn balls can get damaged in a way the tumbler won’t fix, and will start damaging your machine. Sure you can’t see it right away but it wears down your game much much faster

#24 8 months ago

i tumble my old balls, then wax them. never had a problem

#25 8 months ago

Choices, choices ,, So from a bang for the buck standpoint, the 18 lb tumbler from Harbor Freight looks like the way to go. Now for media. Seems to be a lot of votes for walnut shells. Now which grit? They show 12 grit (coarse) and 24 grit (fine). What's the best 1 grit fits all in the pinball world?

#26 8 months ago
    Quoted from dozer1:

Choices, choices ,, So from a bang for the buck standpoint, the 18 lb tumbler from Harbor Freight looks like the way to go. Now for media. Seems to be a lot of votes for walnut shells. Now which grit? They show 12 grit (coarse) and 24 grit (fine). What's the best 1 grit fits all in the pinball world?

Go with the course. I bought some fine years ago on sale on line. It was dusty as hell and got into everything. It only took one tumble session and I threw it all away.

#27 8 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Go with the course. I bought some fine years ago on sale on line. It was dusty as hell and got into everything. It only took one tumble session and I threw it all away.

Not to mention if you use it enough, the coarse will eventually turn to fine anyway!

#28 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not to mention if you use it enough, the coarse will eventually turn to fine anyway!

Yeah, it kind of does, but it'll get dirty enough to replace before it gets that fine.

#29 8 months ago

Should I tumble lamp sockets?

#30 8 months ago

Well, I picked one up along with 25 pounds of coarse walnut media. Got a bunch of metal posts and screws and a few smaller brackets going in there now. What would you guys say is an average time to run a batch like that?

#31 8 months ago

Spend your money on a quality tumbler, if you have any intentions on using it with regularly. HF are junk compared to Raytech or Thumbler Ultra-Vibe. Be patient and look for a used one. I got two of the large Ultra-Vibes in excellent condition for slightly more than a single junky HF one costs through patient searching.

#32 8 months ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Spend your money on a quality tumbler, if you have any intentions on using it with regularly. HF are junk compared to Raytech or Thumbler Ultra-Vibe. Be patient and look for a used one. I got two of the large Ultra-Vibes in excellent condition for slightly more than a single junky HF one costs through patient searching.

what makes one of these better than another?

#33 8 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

what makes one of these better than another?

Several factors. I'll note them in the order of importance to me:

1. Significantly better motors. Think classic Mercedes engine vs. Yugo. Also, typically run at higher rpms which lead to better finish and quicker finish times.
    2. Motor isolation. If you've had a cheap vibratory tumbler, it sounds like someone is running a jackhammer. I have a Berry's tumbler (a cut above the HF models) and I would have to put it in the far end of the garage with a wood box over it to deaden the sound, otherwise I could hear it ANYWHERE in my 2 story home. I can sit my Ultra-vibe 18 out by itself and close the door to the garage and not a sound. Definitely helps lessen the complaints from the family regarding noise.
    3. Much better bowls and lids. HF bowls aren't made for longevity. They warp and crack pretty easily. The lids crack very easily if you over-tighten (which is common because the seal between the lid and bowl is not very tight). Here's how good an Ultra-vibe bowl is. One of them I bought, the previous owner did some wet polishing but didn't take out the media. Over time it became a caked-on mess. Impossible to get off. I put some aggressive media in it and ran it for 8 hours. It came out spotless.

Again, you get what you pay for. You can get the HF models on sale everyday for under $100. The big 4.75 gallon Ultra-Vibe 45 retails at $650. But as I said, if you look and are patient you can get them for far less. As I said in the earlier post, I paid under $100 for TWO Ultra-Vibe 45s and I've seen several since in the $100-200 range a piece for tumblers in excellent condition.

#34 8 months ago

https://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

Go there to get 20% off your tumbler at HF right now, bringing it down to 132.00. Mine did a great job on my first batch so far. The way I see it is even if it is a cheap piece of shit, it should last me a lifetime as a pinball hobbiest. That mentallity may not fit everyone. Works for me though.

#35 8 months ago

I would stay away from the small HF tumbler. I picked up one over the weekend and tumbled for 48 hours before this happened.

99992927-FFA3-4638-BA63-8C7AA410A6D3 (resized).jpeg

#36 8 months ago

I've gone through 2 of the small HF tumblers. they work great until they don't. both of them seized up because of cheap bearings in the motor. Next one i'll get will be the larger version.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 35.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 21.00
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.99
    $ 64.99
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside