Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CookyJar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Going to use my vibrating tumbler for the first time on my Mayfair restoration. Most of the posts I've read recommend crushed walnut media or corn cob. My father recommended trying Aspen hardwood chips (and gave me a bag), it's sold in pet stores as "Lizard Litter", has anyone ever tried this and does it work?

-Steve

#2 3 years ago

I imagine wood chips are both too large and too soft.

#3 3 years ago

I've used actual kitty litter to remove rust and heavy deposits prior to using crushed walnut with a shot of metal cleaner for a nice finish.

#4 3 years ago

This is the lizard litter I have used: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7793
It seems to be very similar to standard walnut media, no large chips

#5 3 years ago

http://m.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coarse-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92150.html

You can get 25 pounds of walnut media for about $20 with coupon at Harbor freight.

#6 3 years ago

Amazon has it for a pretty good price as well. I get the 10 quart bag of Zilla for $13 shipped which is about 13 lbs.

amazon.com link »

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I imagine wood chips are both too large and too soft.

Hardwood is used commercially although I haven't tried it. From Kramer's website:

Hardwood Media Selection Guide

When using hardwood media, using larger wood pegs in the cutting step can speed up the operation. Smaller wood pegs are better for polishing. However, consider using the same size wood pegs for all of your jobs, since the dirty pegs from polishing cream barrels can be reused in a cutting step. Dirty wood pegs can be cleaned during dry cutting operations when run with Shynolyte Pre-Polishing Cream or by running with mineral spirits and corn cob grit.

#8 3 years ago

Kramer has a lot of great info on commercial tumbling by the way for anyone interested in further reading. I actually just got a tub of their Metaglos finishing cream which I plan to try out in the next week or two to see if it is better than the Flitz media additive. You have to buy it in bulk and it isn't cheap, but it seems like good stuff...

http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/CRM.html

#9 3 years ago

It is basically walnut media.
Preferred:
Walnut and Novus for basic cleaning.
Corn cob and Flitz for polishing.

#10 3 years ago

Cool, thanks for all the info.

Quoted from marspinball:

http://m.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coarse-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92150.html

You can get 25 pounds of walnut media for about $20 with coupon at Harbor freight.

Probably going to swing by Harbor Freight on the way home tonight or over the weekend.

-Steve

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

It is basically walnut media.
Preferred:
Walnut and Novus for basic cleaning.
Corn cob and Flitz for polishing.

Do you use the #3 novus for cleaning in a vibrating tumbler?

#12 3 years ago

You can also try pet stores. I get my walnut there, in smaller quantity. I don't need a 25lb bag.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I'm curious as well.

#14 3 years ago

I've had the Petco lizard bedding (ground crushed walnut) running with some flitz green for about 2 weeks now on some pinballs. Barely does anything. This is on a rotating tumbler instead of vibrating, but I'm pretty dissatisfied with the results. I'm interested in the comments of this thread as well.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm curious as well.

I've used Novus 3 and Novus 2, for cleaning they work great. I used them with the same lizard bedding mentioned in the previous post. They tend to clump up, so I just mixed them around with a wooden stick or screwdriver prior to inserting the items to be cleaned.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

If really nasty, Novus #3, otherwise Novus #2.
Both work fine in vibrating tumblers.
About two-three "rings" does the trick, if you are vibrating for two days.

#17 3 years ago

Picked up the walnut media at Harbor Freight over the weekend. Ran in the vibrating tumbler last night for around 12 hours and the parts are starting to look pretty nice. Going to run again tonight, thinking of adding in some metal polish. Though the parts were starting to look nice and shiny with just the walnuts.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Columbia Station, OH
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 319.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Various Other Swag
Shoot Again Pinball
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 334.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside