IMG_1483 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1481 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1482 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1480 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1479 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1478 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1476 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1477 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have been looking for a while now for a replacement cabinet for my Bally Playboy that was termite infested, and I finally got a free cabinet that is by and large pretty solid with strong corners, but the bottom edges of the cabinet are frayed and beaten up pretty bad. This is the best I could find, unfortunately. The plywood isn't so much delimiting (like you'd see with water damage) but has frayed like it's been physically battered. Sort of looks like it got beat with the edges of a pallet lift maybe multiple times? The guy I got it from doesn't think it's fixable, but I have plenty of time right now, and I really think this is solid for the most part. See Pictures below for reference.

The backbox is really good; basically just needs some minor fill and sanding. That's the easy part. The bottom cabinet is the problem.

I've read Vid's threads on cabinet restoration, and I think I have a good strategy for bringing this back to life, but I wanted to run this past the wise ones here to validate my strategy.
1. Pull the bottom out and replace with 1/4” plywood. Brace from the inside with 1" triangles, same as factory.
2. Use the replacement bottom and strips of aluminum as a dam for each bottom side of the frayed plywood on the cabinet, and fill the bottom edges with fiberglass epoxy to square them off. I don't think there is any other material (bondo, glue, etc) that will hold given that much material missing on the bottom edges. I don’t think I need to fill with any glass fiber, but would appreciate any thoughts.
3. Sand and fill any other minor side issues with bondo
4. I don’t have access to a spray gun, so I’m going to Prime roll with Kilz the entire cabinet. I'm doing both inside and out in white.
5. Roll with white paint for stencil base
6. I have a set of Playboy stencils already. I’m planning to spray the pink with Rust-Oleum ultra 2K Magenta, and rustoleum black
7. Clear spray over stenciled images

Does this sound like a reasonable strategy? Is there a better color to use for pink than the Magenta? Any other hints are appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!
IMG_1483 (resized).jpegIMG_1483 (resized).jpegIMG_1479 (resized).jpegIMG_1479 (resized).jpegIMG_1480 (resized).jpegIMG_1480 (resized).jpegIMG_1482 (resized).jpegIMG_1482 (resized).jpegIMG_1478 (resized).jpegIMG_1478 (resized).jpegIMG_1481 (resized).jpegIMG_1481 (resized).jpegIMG_1477 (resized).jpegIMG_1477 (resized).jpegIMG_1476 (resized).jpegIMG_1476 (resized).jpegIMG_1489 (resized).jpegIMG_1489 (resized).jpegIMG_1490 (resized).jpegIMG_1490 (resized).jpegIMG_1491 (resized).jpegIMG_1491 (resized).jpegIMG_1492 (resized).jpegIMG_1492 (resized).jpegIMG_1493 (resized).jpegIMG_1493 (resized).jpeg

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Yikes that's a lot of work! I personally would find a better candidate. Any lower cabinet, even a high production chime game like Eight Ball could be used by just adding the speaker opening.

Honestly - I'd love to find a better starting point, but this is better than where I was. Been looking for months here in Florida; it's just very hard to find anything suitable down here. A lot of donor candidates here unfortunately are termite homes....

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

rixzilla Frequently has used empty cabinets for sale, and he lives in Florida

Thanks!! He and I have been in contact; but no joy so far.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 22.50
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Clnilsen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/viable-playboy-cabinet-resto-plan?tu=Clnilsen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.