I have been looking for a while now for a replacement cabinet for my Bally Playboy that was termite infested, and I finally got a free cabinet that is by and large pretty solid with strong corners, but the bottom edges of the cabinet are frayed and beaten up pretty bad. This is the best I could find, unfortunately. The plywood isn't so much delimiting (like you'd see with water damage) but has frayed like it's been physically battered. Sort of looks like it got beat with the edges of a pallet lift maybe multiple times? The guy I got it from doesn't think it's fixable, but I have plenty of time right now, and I really think this is solid for the most part. See Pictures below for reference.
The backbox is really good; basically just needs some minor fill and sanding. That's the easy part. The bottom cabinet is the problem.
I've read Vid's threads on cabinet restoration, and I think I have a good strategy for bringing this back to life, but I wanted to run this past the wise ones here to validate my strategy.
1. Pull the bottom out and replace with 1/4” plywood. Brace from the inside with 1" triangles, same as factory.
2. Use the replacement bottom and strips of aluminum as a dam for each bottom side of the frayed plywood on the cabinet, and fill the bottom edges with fiberglass epoxy to square them off. I don't think there is any other material (bondo, glue, etc) that will hold given that much material missing on the bottom edges. I don’t think I need to fill with any glass fiber, but would appreciate any thoughts.
3. Sand and fill any other minor side issues with bondo
4. I don’t have access to a spray gun, so I’m going to Prime roll with Kilz the entire cabinet. I'm doing both inside and out in white.
5. Roll with white paint for stencil base
6. I have a set of Playboy stencils already. I’m planning to spray the pink with Rust-Oleum ultra 2K Magenta, and rustoleum black
7. Clear spray over stenciled images
Does this sound like a reasonable strategy? Is there a better color to use for pink than the Magenta? Any other hints are appreciated!
Thanks in Advance!