Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Magic_Mike
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I just opened my package from Bay Area looking forward to watching another TOP video. Yeah, the package that has been sitting next to my desk for weeks. The one I was in such a rush to get. I planned on topping off my Friday night with another beer and some stupid humor. I open the box and.... a VHS! Why do they still even sell those? I was at the flea market with my kids the other day and they asked what that weird machine was. I guess I should have bought it.

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Yeah, the package that has been sitting next to my desk for weeks.

A few decades?

#3 9 years ago

Just go find the nearest guy driving an Iroc Camaro. Guarantee he'll have one.

#4 9 years ago

What's wrong with VHS, there's tons of good movies only available on VHS. I've never seen ghoulies 2 or RAD on blu ray....gotta have VHS.

#5 9 years ago

I don't even think I've touched a VHS tape in 10 years.

#6 9 years ago

They are meant to degrade and go to shit after around 7 years.

#7 9 years ago

Did the item description contain the word "tape" and have a photo of a VHS box?

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from John1210:

They aren't designed to disintegrate or self-destruct after 7 years.

However, with excessive use, a tape will slowly wear out.

On the other hand, I've had 25-year-old tapes which worked fine. They can easily last longer than 7 years, so long as they aren't kept in extreme environments or aren't attacked by a swarm of angry magnets.

#9 9 years ago

what? you was exspecting beta?

#10 9 years ago

VHS was kicking when some of you were in diapers or not even thought of. Still works today even if you dont own a IROC crapwagon...................

#11 9 years ago

Oh man, I remember when my dad bought a VHS player/recorder when they first came out and I was in awe!
    I also remember when "On TV" came out and it was just a dial on a box.....you simply switched it from left to right and this was the beginning of cable television.

#12 9 years ago

The key with VHS tapes is to store them stacked vertically instead of horizontally. This keeps the tape from shifting, which throws off the tracking. Humidity and temp is also a factor. Either way, weird to get TOP on VHS as the copies I bought 8 years ago came on DVD.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from John1210:

I have 30 year old VHS tapes that still play good.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

I also remember when "On TV" came out and it was just a dial on a box.....you simply switched it from left to right and this was the beginning of cable television.

But, did you build the pirate ONTV box?

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

What's wrong with VHS, there's tons of good movies only available on VHS. I've never seen ghoulies 2 or RAD on blu ray....gotta have VHS.

Unless you've got them on Laserdisc.

#16 9 years ago

I haven't seen one in years. I remember Titanic tho with 2 of them lol

#17 9 years ago

I still have a VHS that works great. Don't really use it, but works great. However, I still have record players and rock to Zeppelin, Doors, The Who, etc... The one player is a 1955 Voice of Music suitcase style, cant shake the house with it, but sounds great for it's era. Kinda was the first portable audio device as long as you have an outlet plug.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tony01:

The one player is a 1955 Voice of Music suitcase

I used to have one of these but a later version. I loved that thing.

#19 9 years ago

I own an entire VHS collection (mostly Disney VHS tapes but a couple of others).

On a sidenote does anyone remember the "Feature Presentation" bumpers that preceded every Disney VHS besides me? During my childhood I looked forward to the films not only because of how epic they were but because of this bumper.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And then the better, with real action after 10 pm, IT tv box; How else were we going to learn how 555 timer chips functioned?

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

Did the item description contain the word "tape" and have a photo of a VHS box?

This is the description-

This Old Pinball (TOP) Repair Video Tape - Hardball in Detroit

It does say tape and it has a picture of a tape, so I'm an idiot. I think the description should have read VHS and the picture could be a little clearer too.

#22 9 years ago

If I had to guess... perhaps not all TOP videos were remastered on DVD.

The most popular ones surely were, but maybe not that one?

#23 9 years ago

It IS strange there are still many VHS collectors out there. I just licensed 2 of my film for VHS release!

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If I remember correctly, they drilled the ONTV knob right into your television. Or was that "IT" tv? My mother worked for ONTV for a time and I remember having it. Basically, from what I remember, and I was really young was that you got a couple of movies (HBO?) from like 8-10 at night.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from brent149:

Just go find the nearest guy driving an Iroc Camaro. Guarantee he'll have one.

Ha.....I have a Camaro....and I still have my sony VCR....but I did get rid of the mullet awhile back... .....Joey

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

but I did get rid of the mullet awhile back

The mullet is on the verge of a huge comeback...mark my words

#27 9 years ago

I think the only VHS you see these days are boxes of adult movies.

#28 9 years ago

I have a GRIP of VHS tapes that I'm wanting to get rid of. Should I just buy a VCR for my kids when they're a little older and have them go to town without effing up my PS3? I know they're going to love Danzig Live and Caddyshack II.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It IS strange there are still many VHS collectors out there.

Whenever I see a post like this on pinside I am amused by the irony

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If I remember correctly, they drilled the ONTV knob right into your television. Or was that "IT" tv? My mother worked for ONTV for a time and I remember having it. Basically, from what I remember, and I was really young was that you got a couple of movies (HBO?) from like 8-10 at night.

Was she working at the Rankin Rd. Place in Troy, MI?

#31 9 years ago

VHS/DVD players are still available and they're not usually too hard to find; everyone should have one for just such situations-you'd be amazed at the good stuff on VHS that's still around. Be sure to get a machine that's VHS/DVD-R/RW capable-that way you can dub (transfer) tapes to DVD and DVD's to tape.

#32 9 years ago

Yes...I transfered a bunch of my VHS tapes to DVD or Blu-Ray. There are many TV Specials I recorded that never made it to DVD. There are a bunch of VHS and laser Discs that sell for crazy money because the supplemental material (interviews, etc) never transferred to the DVD or Blu-Ray. Some of the Bond films for example...

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

I think the description should have read VHS and the picture could be a little clearer too.

Agreed, the description should have said VHS to avoid any kind of confusion.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from callmesteam:

I have a GRIP of VHS tapes that I'm wanting to get rid of. Should I just buy a VCR for my kids when they're a little older and have them go to town without effing up my PS3? I know they're going to love Danzig Live and Caddyshack II.

ha! Danzig 1&2 and a few other out of print music videos are the only reason I keep my VHS around.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yes...I transfered a bunch of my VHS tapes to DVD or Blu-Ray. There are many TV Specials I recorded that never made it to DVD. There are a bunch of VHS and laser Discs that sell for crazy money because the supplemental material (interviews, etc) never transferred to the DVD or Blu-Ray. Some of the Bond films for example...

How did you make the transfers compatible for all NTSC players?

I can't find a good player to guarantee this.

#36 9 years ago

Do you have one of those VHS tape rewinding machines?

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I can't find a good player to guarantee this.

Back in the day, I used an analog capture device from Pinnacle for about $60, and capture the footage with video editing software (I'm pretty sure it was with the software that Pinnacle provided with the device, though it may have been an old copy of Adobe Premiere).

I took a quick look around, but it looks like Pinnacle stopped making them. It looks like it was superseded by this: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/products/dazzle/dvd-recorder-hd/

Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Do you have one of those VHS tape rewinding machines?

I certainly had one of those back in the day, lol

Quoted from chucktee:

VHS/DVD players are still available and they're not usually too hard to find; everyone should have one for just such situations-you'd be amazed at the good stuff on VHS that's still around. Be sure to get a machine that's VHS/DVD-R/RW capable-that way you can dub (transfer) tapes to DVD and DVD's to tape.

Sony combo units tended to have a high failure rate when I was working with them. I would avoid those. Samsung combo units with the upconverting feature were much more reliable, though in the $75-$100 range.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Don't know. My friend told me the machine to buy, I bought it and he hooked it up and made the transfers. I didn't test them on a bunch of machines. They worked on all of mine though....

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Don't know. My friend told me the machine to buy, I bought it and he hooked it up and made the transfers. I didn't test them on a bunch of machines. They worked on all of mine though....

Okayyyyyyyy, so what is the name brand and model of the machine?

I would like to do some homework on it, thanks!

You can PM me if you don't want to keep bumping this thread.

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

The mullet is on the verge of a huge comeback...mark my words

Go to any walmart, it's like it never left...

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

It IS strange there are still many VHS collectors out there. I just licensed 2 of my film for VHS release!

Just making a comment on what I've heard on media threads and thought it was a decent enough and true enough comment on this thread that the tape is meant to degrade over time. One significant reason why that technology was put out to pasture. If your going to throw a negative on someone's post maybe give a reason why.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from John1210:

Just making a comment on what I've heard on media threads and thought it was a decent enough and true enough comment on this thread that the tape is meant to degrade over time. One significant reason why that technology was put out to pasture. If your going to throw a negative on someone's post maybe give a reason why.

VHS was never "designed" to degrade or become obsolete. At the time, VHS was cheaper, more reliable, and easier to use over older film technology (8mm/super-8). VHS got pushed to the wayside as a playback media because newer technology (ie, DVD) offered better quality, was more reliable, and the price point became competitive. As for home recording media, it went from VHS to MiniDV to flash memory simply because the technology kept improving along the way, got cheaper, smaller, and easier to use.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from rustybomber79:

ha! Danzig 1&2 and a few other out of print music videos are the only reason I keep my VHS around.

Another great music vid only on VHS is Journeys "Fronters" tour vid. The best tour doc. out there.

#44 9 years ago

I still have a top of the line "new in box" Mitsubishi Super VHS VCR; anybody interested.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I still have a top of the line "new in box" Mitsubishi Super VHS VCR; anybody interested.

Not me....I still have 5 of them from back when I had a 20 deck dup set up.

#46 9 years ago

In 1987 I bought NEC Hi-Fi VCR it was $800. It recently it crapped out. I replaced with a Sony 4 head Hi Fi VCR for $90. I also have a L.D. player. The DVD and Blue Ray machines have also been added. So many formats, trying not to have the same movie on more than one format can be challenging. I am sure that something else will be soon, other than downloads. As people like to actually have a movie in their hand.

#47 9 years ago

"BE KIND REWIND"

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Kids so easily scratch the dvd. Atleast the VHS outside housing could take way more abuse than a minor scratch to mess up the dvd or blue ray. It could be worse if it shipped on High Definition disc as those players are hard to find. VCR's are everywhere!

#49 9 years ago

You should buy the TOP videos directly from the source.
    http://www.pinrepair.com/top
    We haven't sold any TOP video on VHS in years. and i mean a lot of years!
    They are only $9 including shipping on DVD.

I moved about 6 months ago and had a stack of old VHS TOP versions i had been saving, just in case someone asked. They all hit the garbage can. No one has asked for a VHS version for like 5 years...

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Was she working at the Rankin Rd. Place in Troy, MI?

I was really young, so I'm not sure. I'll have to ask her.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vhs-really/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.