Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dhard
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hellfish (resized).jpg
    d28 (resized).jpg
    received_342846243397152 (resized).jpeg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

One of the (pinball) downsides of the rona thing is we are loosing members at Vintage Flipper World (VFW). Not so much because rona has killed any member, but because people have figured out they can work from home. And they don't need to live in Michigan any more. I've lost two solid Tech guys to this, probably my two best Techs. We need techs, or people we can train as techs. Hence the VFW is looking for new members. Mostly EM repair guys needed. Solidstate is nice, but EM is the trick. In a pinch we can do board swaps on SS games. I can't do that on EMs, so we need EM techs more than SS techs. But either/both would be great!

Now before anyone gets excited, i've been training pinball technician for *long* time. There are certain requirements that must be met, before we even get started. I can't tell you the time that has been wasted trying to train people, that for one reason or another, just don't make it. Admittedly these things may sound harsh. Heck they probably are. But let's be frank, certain pre-requirements must be met. And here they are...

1. You must live close to the VFW. Brighton Michigan. Say 30 miles at most. It's just a time thing. If you spend too long getting to the place, you're not going to be a good tech candidate, because you won't be there enough. Tech skill ARE PERISHABLE. Meaning it requires practice, and on a regular basis too.

2. You have to be a reasonably "together" person. No drug or alcohol issues. I don't mind a beer or three here or there, that's perfectly fine. But if you're alcoholic, no way.

3. You can't be fat (say 100+ pounds over weight). It's not because we don't like fat people. It's a logistics thing. The games are close together! Really close!! And if you are 100 pounds overweight, getting to the back of a game is going to be tough or impossible.

4. You must have a thick skin. Being a tech at the VFW is brutal. And it's not just me either. We talk shite all the time. And you WILL get in the crossfire. Also frankly I'm a brutal manager. You can't be a wuss, it just won't work. For example certain politicians would last about 2 seconds with ego, etc, getting stomped into the ground. It helps if you're quick with comebacks... That seems to be the best way to counteract these things. Also NO RIGHT WING FREAK SHOWS. If you think the earth is flat, climate change is a hoax, you hate gays, and/or InfoWars is your favorite news site, please don't apply.

Ok so who's left? probably nobody... So here's the last requirement...

5. Have a commitment to learn about game repair. (It is very helpful if you have games at home.) You will need to be at the VFW monday and/or Wednesday nights every week. More often if you can. Again EM repair is really the scope, but SS repair gets thrown in a lot too.
    =====

You're probably asking, what do you get out of this? We you WILL learn to be a tech. And you Will have access to one of the best working/set up pinball collections in the world. (We will have 500 working games up and running shortly... we are currently at 435 games.)

Direct email is best... [email protected]
    thanks!

#2 3 years ago

Would love to learn more but I have a gut. So that probably makes me ineligible.

#3 3 years ago

I smoke weed and like Trump so I guess I'm out.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

One of the (pinball) downsides of the rona thing is we are loosing members at Vintage Flipper World (VFW). Not so much because rona has killed any member, but because people have figured out they can work from home. And they don't need to live in Michigan any more. I've lost two solid Tech guys to this, probably my two best Techs. We need techs, or people we can train as techs. Hence the VFW is looking for new members. Mostly EM repair guys needed. Solidstate is nice, but EM is the trick. In a pinch we can do board swaps on SS games. I can't do that on EMs, so we need EM techs more than SS techs. But either/both would be great!
    Now before anyone gets excited, i've been training pinball technician for *long* time. There are certain requirements that must be met, before we even get started. I can't tell you the time that has been wasted trying to train people, that for one reason or another, just don't make it. Admittedly these things may sound harsh. Heck they probably are. But let's be frank, certain pre-requirements must be met. And here they are...
    1. You must live close to the VFW. Brighton Michigan. Say 30 miles at most. It's just a time thing. If you spend too long getting to the place, you're not going to be a good tech candidate, because you won't be there enough. Tech skill ARE PERISHABLE. Meaning it requires practice, and on a regular basis too.
    2. You have to be a reasonably "together" person. No drug or alcohol issues. I don't mind a beer or three here or there, that's perfectly fine. But if you're alcoholic, no way.
    3. You can't be fat (say 100+ pounds over weight). It's not because we don't like fat people. It's a logistics thing. The games are close together! Really close!! And if you are 100 pounds overweight, getting to the back of a game is going to be tough or impossible.
    4. You must have a thick skin. Being a tech at the VFW is brutal. And it's not just me either. We talk shite all the time. And you WILL get in the crossfire. Also frankly I'm a brutal manager. You can't be a wuss, it just won't work. For example certain politicians would last about 2 seconds with ego, etc, getting stomped into the ground. It helps if you're quick with comebacks... That seems to be the best way to counteract these things. Also NO RIGHT WING FREAK SHOWS. If you think the earth is flat, climate change is a hoax, you hate gays, and/or InfoWars is your favorite news site, please don't apply.
    Ok so who's left? probably nobody... So here's the last requirement...
    5. Have a commitment to learn about game repair. (It is very helpful if you have games at home.) You will need to be at the VFW monday and/or Wednesday nights every week. More often if you can. Again EM repair is really the scope, but SS repair gets thrown in a lot too.
    =====
    You're probably asking, what do you get out of this? We you WILL learn to be a tech. And you Will have access to one of the best working/set up pinball collections in the world. (We will have 500 working games up and running shortly... we are currently at 435 games.)
    Direct email is best... [email protected]
    thanks!

Sorry, I have verifiable proof the Earth is banana-shaped so I’m out

#5 3 years ago

Someone check on Clay, he may have finally lost it.

Everyone should apply for membership and Clay can run an American Idol style competition.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from adamgacek:

Someone check on Clay, he may have finally lost it.
    Everyone should apply for membership and Clay can run an American Idol style competition.

no adam! he'll force us to be judges

#7 3 years ago

We all have guts. I guess the test is you have to be able to touch your toes. Or even just see your toes!

#8 3 years ago
    received_342846243397152 (resized).jpegreceived_342846243397152 (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

We all have guts. I guess the test is you have to be able to touch your toes. Or even just see your toes!

I can touch my toes, see my toes, and my d*ck!! so does that mean I am a candidate?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

4. You must have a thick skin. Being a tech at the VFW is brutal.

Move this to #1

Quoted from no-extra-balls:

I smoke weed and like Trump so I guess I'm out.

Weed is fine, but yeah you wouldn't have a chance

#11 3 years ago

Smells culty

#12 3 years ago

We're very transparent on the heavy cultiness

#14 3 years ago

Im in. You had me at, “We talk shit all the time.”

#15 3 years ago

Coffee out the nose! You should apply based on criteria #4.

#16 3 years ago

Yes seeing your dick is good. But maybe you have an obnoxiously long dick? In that case the dick seeing criteria probably is not useful

#17 3 years ago

no. 4 (aka no. 1) should also have the caveat "submissive's need not apply"

being thick-skinned is just a part of it. strong willed individuals (to a degree), the ability to logically think through problems and not having to be told what/how to do something repeatedly should also be considered as basic requirements

Quoted from Monte:

Coffee out the nose! You should apply based on criteria #4.

jay wouldn't meet the dress code requirements. no borat banana hammocks are allowed in the VFW
    terry can keep all of that weird crap in IL

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Sorry, I have verifiable proof the Earth is banana-shaped so I’m out

This went under the radar

#19 3 years ago

Damn, if I still got out of work at 3:30pm I'd be in. Getting out at 5 puts me right in the shit, i wouldnt make Brighton til 6:30.

I can see my dick too! AND i've seen JM's - it looks just like a penis, only smaller!

All my love, Don - - --

#20 3 years ago

Don't remember a skinny EM guy....EVER!

#21 3 years ago

Damn, I wish I were just a bit closer...

#22 3 years ago

Wish I was closer. Sounds like I'd be an okay fit.

d28 (resized).jpgd28 (resized).jpg
    #23 3 years ago

Do you do a criminal history check and if so would a felony disqualify someone? Would it depend what it was for???

#24 3 years ago

that sounds like a #12 to 15 type question...

#25 3 years ago

Working on pinballs sober. Blasphemy!

#26 3 years ago

Feels bad that I don't meet too many of the criteria. I would be all over this.

Guess I'll have to stick to supplying the beer when asked...

The VFW rules, by the way.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I can touch my toes, see my toes, and my d*ck!! so does that mean I am a candidate?

That all depends on how long your arms are, how big your feet are, and how ehh??? You know the rest...

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

terry can keep all of that weird crap in IL

Sure, no problem. I will. Gladly.
    Terry.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

that sounds like a #12 to 15 type question...

Bwahahhahhhhahaaaahahaa

#30 3 years ago

I can hang with everything except #1. As soon as they invent teleportation I’m in.

#31 3 years ago

Damn. I’m 31 miles away.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Damn. I’m 31 miles away.

Yeah, almost 40 for me Howie - bummer

#33 3 years ago

Actually, I’m 42 miles away. That’s not bad for a monthly ride, but would be hard to work out for weekly trips.

2 months later
    #34 3 years ago

Email sent.. little further than 39mi, but my work is pretty flexible these days..

#35 3 years ago

How am I just seeing this? I'm totally trainable,can leave my partying for the weekends,would make the drive and i can hang with the verbal beat downs. Unfortunately I work afternoon shift and I'm morbidly obese and have a hard time squeezing into sweatpants so I can't see me squeezing between games.

#37 3 years ago

It might be worth switching shifts and going to fat camp to say I'm in a club with you

#38 3 years ago

I'm 8 miles away (a plus), only own 12 modern pins + 1 Williams (F14) (a minus - no EM experience). I work on mine quite a bit, but don't know any board work kind of stuff other than replacing parts. Willing to learn, but I'm not too good at soldering small electrical connections on boards. If you need some extra help at shows or just general stuff, count me in.

#39 3 years ago

H.T.F. did I miss this original post?

Clay, are you off your fucking meds? ..... Do you realize how many discrimination laws you have violated with this post? I know plenty of fat dudes, who love Trump, can pound a beer or 6, that can work on an E.M.

As for a comeback to this? I would just bitch slap you upside the head because I am one of those fat dudes, who is on the right, loves bourbon and can fix a pinball.

I get it, the brain works faster than the filter...but we all still love ya Clay(well, most of us anyway)!

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I know plenty of fat dudes, who love Trump, can pound a beer or 6, that can work on an E.M.

So do we, he just kicked them all out, that's why we need new people

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Do you realize how many discrimination laws you have violated with this post? I know plenty of fat dudes, who love Trump, can pound a beer or 6, that can work on an E.M.
    **** I would just bitch slap you upside the head because

He can discriminate as they are volunteers... not employees
    bitch slaps are for pansies... At the VFW you get whacked with a pinball leg !!!

#42 3 years ago

.... and not just a pinball leg either! Adam got his ass whomped monday night with playfield side rails. he was not happy about it, but he took the bruce lee style beating well...

#43 3 years ago

I was afraid of fighting back because of the likelihood of an elder abuse claim as Clay is old and infirm. Someone told me he fought in WWII.

Anyone thinking of asking to join...don’t f-ing do it.

#44 3 years ago

I’d volunteer, but verbal abuse gets me off and it’s hard to squeeze between machines hard

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I’d volunteer, but verbal abuse gets me off and it’s hard to squeeze between machines hard

Yeah umm...you get used to it.
    I've got a groove or 3 going on cabinet sides for you.

#46 3 years ago

If anyone was tempted to apply but live west of Kalamazoo, you are in luck. I have less than 500 pins, no EM stuff to figure out. I'll let you drink all the Root-Beer you want. I'll even let you brag on how good trump is.

#47 3 years ago

I’d like to point out if it wasn’t for me saving the world in World War II, you guys would all be speaking German. Also it was the last war that we really won, and I would like to think I am largely responsible for that. So Adam you need to take your beatings, and take them well. Just look at it as the “beatings of freedom.”

#48 3 years ago

We'll all remember your contributions as a member of the Fighting Hellfish, but you gotta let go and move on.

Hellfish (resized).jpgHellfish (resized).jpg
    #49 3 years ago

Uncanny resemblance.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

. but he took the bruce lee style beating well...

Clays favorite videos come from mens showers and locker rooms.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vfw-brighton-mi-needs-your-help?hl=rocketfromtombs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.