One of the (pinball) downsides of the rona thing is we are loosing members at Vintage Flipper World (VFW). Not so much because rona has killed any member, but because people have figured out they can work from home. And they don't need to live in Michigan any more. I've lost two solid Tech guys to this, probably my two best Techs. We need techs, or people we can train as techs. Hence the VFW is looking for new members. Mostly EM repair guys needed. Solidstate is nice, but EM is the trick. In a pinch we can do board swaps on SS games. I can't do that on EMs, so we need EM techs more than SS techs. But either/both would be great!
Now before anyone gets excited, i've been training pinball technician for *long* time. There are certain requirements that must be met, before we even get started. I can't tell you the time that has been wasted trying to train people, that for one reason or another, just don't make it. Admittedly these things may sound harsh. Heck they probably are. But let's be frank, certain pre-requirements must be met. And here they are...
1. You must live close to the VFW. Brighton Michigan. Say 30 miles at most. It's just a time thing. If you spend too long getting to the place, you're not going to be a good tech candidate, because you won't be there enough. Tech skill ARE PERISHABLE. Meaning it requires practice, and on a regular basis too.
2. You have to be a reasonably "together" person. No drug or alcohol issues. I don't mind a beer or three here or there, that's perfectly fine. But if you're alcoholic, no way.
3. You can't be fat (say 100+ pounds over weight). It's not because we don't like fat people. It's a logistics thing. The games are close together! Really close!! And if you are 100 pounds overweight, getting to the back of a game is going to be tough or impossible.
4. You must have a thick skin. Being a tech at the VFW is brutal. And it's not just me either. We talk shite all the time. And you WILL get in the crossfire. Also frankly I'm a brutal manager. You can't be a wuss, it just won't work. For example certain politicians would last about 2 seconds with ego, etc, getting stomped into the ground. It helps if you're quick with comebacks... That seems to be the best way to counteract these things. Also NO RIGHT WING FREAK SHOWS. If you think the earth is flat, climate change is a hoax, you hate gays, and/or InfoWars is your favorite news site, please don't apply.
Ok so who's left? probably nobody... So here's the last requirement...
5. Have a commitment to learn about game repair. (It is very helpful if you have games at home.) You will need to be at the VFW monday and/or Wednesday nights every week. More often if you can. Again EM repair is really the scope, but SS repair gets thrown in a lot too.
You're probably asking, what do you get out of this? We you WILL learn to be a tech. And you Will have access to one of the best working/set up pinball collections in the world. (We will have 500 working games up and running shortly... we are currently at 435 games.)
Direct email is best... firstname.lastname@example.org