(Topic ID: 119424)

VFW-AAPM Showcase 2015 - IT'S DONE!!!! :)

By EchoVictor

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 259 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MotorCityMatt
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 42 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_2015-04-21-13-18-06.png
    CCC-541.jpg
    tm3.jpg
    TM2.jpg
    Time M.jpg
    Varkon.jpg
    20150226_193324.jpeg
    image-1.jpg
    20150516_184642.jpg
    20150516_184226.jpg
    20150516_184208.jpg
    sttng.JPG
    image-689.jpg
    image-154.jpg
    image.jpg
    dominos2.gif

There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
    #201 4 years ago

Easily the best player's show ever held.

#202 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkInc:

Once again, we (the LOPL crew) had an awesome time on the Saturday. 10am-9pm.
    Thanks Clay and Eric and all the Orange shirts!
    When do tickets go on sale for next year?

I bought 2 tickets January 10 for a birthday present.
    Not sure of the exact start date: Jan 1 (?)
    The show SOLD OUT for Saturday 3-4 weeks before the show.

Bob

#203 4 years ago

Hey Eric, Did anyone ever come get the wristbands I left with you for Saturday?

A few guys messaged me and I told them to find you but nobody ever responded after that.
    I assumed/hope someone at least got use out of them.

Great show!

#204 4 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

Fantastic collection. Check out the pop bumper action on the Wico Af-Tor. Unbelievable.
    Rob
    Creditdotpinball.com

Ummm yeah, this happened to me about 3 times.. I had to nudge to get it out, didn't want the thing to break

https://vimeo.com/128044035

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

Ummm yeah, this happened to me about 3 times.. I had to nudge to get it out, didn't want the thing to break
    » Vimeo video

I know...I had to shut it off a couple times for that reason.

Quoted from jwilson:

Easily the best player's show ever held.

Great to see all my Canadian friends...I love Canadians...Thanks for hockey!

#206 4 years ago

Games played very well. I took a friend and he commented that there wasn't a massive number of broke games turned off like when we go to Pinburgh. Clay is very thorough when he goes through these games.

#207 4 years ago

The Ninja has a great staff of technicians to fix the games when they broke. The inhouse repair center saw a few games wheeled in, repaired, and returned to service.

#208 4 years ago

The thing is that people need to speak up when there is a problem. There were several occasions where I walked up on a game and saw a problem that the previous person had walked away from. I found a staffer, pointed out the problem, and they jumped right on it. Most were quick fixes. If you see something, say something. That is what keeps these games going.

#209 4 years ago

I agree on Kevin's statement. We can't fix what we don't know is broken.
    The biggest problem frankly is stuck balls. Most people just walk away. Then the next person comes along, and tries to start a game, and it won't start. System11/Dataeast games are notorious for this, as they won't start if they can't find all the balls. Unlike say most WPC games which compensate for a missing ball, and will still allow the game to play. So what I tell everyone working the show is to look for confused faces, and games left in mid-game, or people "chimp flipping". This usually indicates a problem. Also look for games with credit dots (WPC era.) That keeps this problem to a minimum.

#210 4 years ago

you guys run an amazing show and I would agree that your biggest issue is players not telling you when they experience a problem. That is pretty good when that is your area for improvement.

I still can't get over how amazing all these games played!

Thanks so much for everything you guys are doing and happy to see that steel roof in action! Looks fantastic!

#211 4 years ago

Was there all day Saturday and gotta say it was great!
    Very impressed with the games and even more impressed with the worker bees.
    Saw a few games carted off to the repair area with what appeared to be massive problems, only to see them carted back to position and playing about 15 minutes later.
    Great work guys and thanks!

#212 4 years ago
    Quoted from tmontana:

» Vimeo video

Had the ssme thing happen to me, I thought i was special let it go for a while and figured if it didnt stop it would eventually burn the coil so i ended up having to tilt it because nuging wouldnt stop it, then i moved to the game next to it and a guy next to me did the exact same thing 1 minute into his first game.

#213 4 years ago

Wico Aftor is notorious for this ball loop between the pop bumper and adjacent rubber issue. At first I thought I should change the position of the rubber just slightly and that would fix the problem. But I didn't think it happen that often... but apparently it does. It doesn't really raise its ugly head until you have a show like this where the game is basically played nonstop all day. Prior to the show I only saw it happen once when we were playing it, for example. It is kind of cool when it happens but if you don't know how to stop it, the game could kill itself!

#214 4 years ago

The crew at VFW killed it again.

Hands down the best maintained, tightest playing machines to be found open to the public ANYWHERE.

A huge thank you to Clay for sharing this special collection, offering the opportunity to play many titles that would be difficult to find in any location, let alone together in one spot.

The orange shirted volunteers made the event flow smoothly, creating an atmosphere of friendly assistance.

This event epitomizes why pinball people are a special breed.

#215 4 years ago

Best show around. Feet are sore after three straight days of pinball. Met lots of nice people. Thanks for the great time and opening the doors to the public. Hope it continues to grow in 2016. And the EM tourney and PinGolf scorecards return.

#216 4 years ago

Big thanks to the crew at VFW for another fantastic year. Thanks for letting us in to check out your fantastic and ever growing collection. Looking forward to 2016!

Rob
    Creditdotpinball.com

#217 4 years ago

Everyone else has already said it, but you can't have such a great show without such great staff there to help out. Thanks to everyone who spent their weekend making sure that things ran smoothly! So many great pins to play, I wish I'd had more time. Can't wait until next time.

#218 4 years ago

Awesome job VFW. We had a great time.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

But I didn't think it happen that often... but apparently it does.

Video of it happening

#220 4 years ago

My daughter and I had a great Sunday. Such a great experience. We can't wait until next time.

#221 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Video of it happening
    » YouTube video

Same thing happened when my son was playing. But it happened on the left bottom pop. A mirror image of this video.

#222 4 years ago

...and thanks, Clay for signing my son's nunchucks ahead of his black belt text next Saturday! He really got a kick out of it!

#223 4 years ago

Went Friday and Saturday. Highlight was when the son as luck would have it happened to find himself in the middle of the game of his life on STTNG when closing time hit Saturday. Appreciate all the workers, but special thanks to the one who stood by us and encouraged him not to worry and to keep going as calls for finishing up games were going out, machines were being turned off, and it became apparent we were the last patrons in the building. Entering his initials was the perfect conclusion to an awesome pinball weekend. sttng.JPG

#224 4 years ago

Wanted to put a couple more pics here.
    The annex and the snack bar/pavillion are great additions.
    Note the campers way in the background.
    20150516_184642.jpg
    20150516_184226.jpg
    20150516_184208.jpg

#225 4 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you to Clay for sharing his collection to the public and to everyone that was involved in volunteering to help make this event as great as it was. My wife and I went Sunday and those six hours flew. Pretty sure there is no place in the world that can match the experience you get from playing this collection. Also it's the only time I can play my favorite pin Safecracker!

#226 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
    We are looking for suggestions to make it better next year.

For example, did everyone know that we were open in the Annex all night Saturday? It wasn't just for the campers (though they were the primary participants.) Gary ran some tournaments during the wee hours too. Apparently a good time was had by all. Because when i showed on at 8am Sunday morning, "dead" bodies were found in the the chair/tables set up in between the buildings, complete with beers in hand. Go figure.

Also do we need to add a shower next to the porta-potties for the campers? And does this need to expand to Friday night too?

Just ideas, no promises...

#227 4 years ago

Hand sanitizer with the portapotties!

#228 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
    We are looking for suggestions to make it better next year.
    For example, did everyone know that we were open in the Annex all night Saturday? It wasn't just for the campers (though they were the primary participants.) Gary ran some tournaments during the wee hours too. Apparently a good time was had by all. Because when i showed on at 8am Sunday morning, "dead" bodies were found in the the chair/tables set up in between the buildings, complete with beers in hand. Go figure.
    Also do we need to add a shower next to the porta-potties for the campers? And does this need to expand to Friday night too?
    Just ideas, no promises...

I had no idea the annex was open at all. I thought it was only open for the EM tourney. I never went back in there after the EM tourney was over.

I would love to have Friday late night play as an option.

I also would love to have Saturday open earlier. I had a 6hr drive and decided to bail early since my buddy wanted to get home and golf. If we could have gotten in at 8am then i likely could have talked him into staying and playing a few hours. I am old and get up early. There is nothing else to do in the area so opening earlier would be great.

I wanted to say I really liked the EM world championship event. Would be cool to have trophies go a little deeper.

I also made comment that my only real feedback was the use of cheap cool white LEDs in many games GI was frustrating to me (some people are more impacted by strobing than other so you may not even see it?). Cheap LEDs tend to strobe very badly. Warm white and frosted is the way to go for showing off the real art and colors in your amazing collection. I suggest COMET leds as they are priced great and rarely have strobing or ghosting.

#229 4 years ago

WICO AF-TOR

Quoted from tmontana:

» Vimeo video

As the unofficial Beta tester of restored/repaired games for the VFW I will take the blame. Somehow I missed playing this game before the Showcase.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

WICO AF-TOR

As the unofficial Beta tester of restored/repaired games for the VFW I will take the blame. Somehow I missed playing this game before the Showcase.

It's ok. I was just worried it was going to smoke the coil or pop a fuse. I got a orange shirt tech over while he was playing but the ball stopped by the time we got back to the game. It's all good. It was one of his favorite games. That and the Do Ray Me game at the end of the same isle. He said he was surprised at how much fun the EM games were. I guess I'll be on the lookout for one.

#231 4 years ago
    Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

. It was one of his favorite games. That and the Do Ray Me game at the end of the same isle. He said he was surprised at how much fun the EM games were. I guess I'll be on the lookout for one.

Your talkin about ROCK STAR the AAB version of Blue Note. A rare EM and in excellent shape. It is a blast to play. The 5" bell (gong) adds to the chimes every 10K. Some claim its a bit easy. I have to concur. My high game is well over 330,000. Making the A-B-C light the kickout hole for WOWS untill the ball is drained. Which means you can rape it for up to 5 WOWS!

#232 4 years ago

one more suggestion for possible improvement (and more money for the support of the event) is more food options.

Burgers and chicken breasts on the grill would be great to go along with the polish and dogs.
    If you have a way to bring in pizza at a specific time that may also be another easy thing that would sell well?

just a thought.

#233 4 years ago

We'd love to grill out, but serving anything that isn't pre-cooked requires a food vendor license that is difficult (and expensive) to obtain, and requires inspections, periodic temperature checks, etc....

For the EM tournament our gracious sponsor Dominos supplied some pizza, but the closest one is a good 20 minute drive away. Not easy to coordinate on a larger scale for the whole weekend.

Thanks,
    Eric V.

#234 4 years ago

Understood on the food vendor license requirements.

Are there any food carts in Ann Arbor? Maybe with students gone for the summer, one of them would be willing to drive up and make food and give a cut to VFW?

Does any local pizza place deliver? Maybe next year we can just get a big group together and place and order for form za for dinner?

#235 4 years ago

Oh, food trucks are a good idea.

Might not be enough traffic to justify it though.

#236 4 years ago

I have seen this done: Food is free but donation suggested.

#237 4 years ago

There were 1/4 pound angus burgers available at the show. just you had to know they were there, and ask for them. we were testing the concept and hence they were on the "secret" menu.

#238 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

There were 1/4 pound angus burgers available at the show. just you had to know they were there, and ask for them. we were testing the concept and hence they were on the "secret" menu.

I asked and was told they were only for the workers ;(

#239 4 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Your talkin about ROCK STAR the AAB version of Blue Note. A rare EM and in excellent shape. It is a blast to play. The 5" bell (gong) adds to the chimes every 10K. Some claim its a bit easy. I have to concur. My high game is well over 330,000. Making the A-B-C light the kickout hole for WOWS untill the ball is drained. Which means you can rape it for up to 5 WOWS!

Yes you're right. I couldn't remember the name of the game. Do Ray Me is what he was calling it. lol I played a few games of it and noticed the gong. Pretty cool.

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Yes you're right. I couldn't remember the name of the game. Do Ray Me is what he was calling it. lol I played a few games of it and noticed the gong. Pretty cool.

You can hear the Gong on GOLDEN ARROW but for a 10K target

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

they were on the "secret" menu

Out by the "secret marijuana patch".......

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

Out by the "secret marijuana patch".......

It wasnt me Clay if this is true

I will clean them out if needed though, in a couple months that is..........

#243 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I asked and was told they were only for the workers ;(

Don't feel too bad...some of us workers didn't even know about that until it was too late. No big deal, though. The hot dogs were fine, and the pop was cold. Win.

#244 4 years ago

Hands down, best show I've ever been to, great show and finally got to meet Clay in person after watching you on pinballninja for all these years. Great representation of all era pinballs, all played great and when they didn't the crack squad of techs were there to get them running again. The snack bar outside meant I didn't need to drive up the road to find food. I brought camping chairs and took breaks outside after a few hours. Loved the neon lights, the rock music playing, the bowler games, even the bathrooms were comical (wash your balls here).

Quoted from Whysnow:

Burgers and chicken breasts on the grill would be great to go along with the polish and dogs

Quoted from cfh:

I overheard someone talk about it so I got a burger. I think these were semi-pre cooked, and then they warmed it up the rest of the way in the microwave. The staff was friendly and chatty, great bunch of guys.

#245 4 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

We'd love to grill out, but serving anything that isn't pre-cooked requires a food vendor license that is difficult (and expensive) to obtain, and requires inspections, periodic temperature checks, etc....
    For the EM tournament our gracious sponsor Dominos supplied some pizza, but the closest one is a good 20 minute drive away. Not easy to coordinate on a larger scale for the whole weekend.
    Thanks,
    Eric V.

Do you guys have Papa Murphy's in the Ann Arbor area? They are "take and bake" pizza stores. When my kids were in Cub Scouts we would have them come to our pinewood derby races and they would bring little pizza ovens and sell slices of pizza. This may not get around the food vendor license however.

#246 4 years ago

The focus of the show was not the food, but most of you missed one of the best attractions there, Mrs. Clay's, Deb Harrell, fresh roasted coffee, latte's and cappuccinos. Did you notice the big blue coffee roaster in the food pavilion. That is where the magic happens. Deb roasts her own coffees and then proceeds to make a fantastic array of coffee beverages. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire show, but next time take a minute to relax and try the coffees to make the entire experience magical.
    I am proud to have been a part of the one of the best pinball events in the country, and for that, I thank you.

#247 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Do you guys have Papa Murphy's in the Ann Arbor area?

Not that I know of.

#248 4 years ago

The best pizza in Ann Arbor is Bell's.

It's old school pizza where the pepperoni curls up into a hot oil filled cup, and the cheese makes a string 24" long.

Open till 4am, so when you suddenly realize what time it is, you can still call Bell's to try and sober up.

#249 4 years ago

who was the gentleman that had the keychains and the pinball 2000 schematics? I meant to purchase a set of the schematics but completely forgot to before I left on sunday :/

#250 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The best pizza in Ann Arbor is Bell's.

It's still good, but the prices are insane now. Forever it was the cheapest place in town, pick up special was dirt cheap (worked at the arcade across the street). Got a large pizza and stix the other night and they gave us a "deal" for $18.50...recock. I'll always have a soft spot for feta & tomato - no sauce.
    Half cooked not bad also.

Anthony's still the best IMO.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    $ 85.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 30.00
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 49.99
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 29.99
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 44.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    $ 39.50
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 259 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside