Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by gb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I can not figure out why the LAUNCH button light does not fully illuminate. Every other light operates normally, including the START button connected to the Coin interface board. All are LEDs. It flickers, not the normal on/off flash, very very dimly. The light is so dim it is only visible with the switch out of the housing. It is lit by row 6, and the power comes from the Coin interface board. All playfield lights lit by row 6 light brightly, except LAUNCH. However, the LAUNCH light does work normally if the input of the LAUNCH diode is connected to a row 8 source. I have tried the following things:

LAUNCH lights brightly if I connect it to a Row 8 source on the Coin interface board, playfield connector, or Row 8 on backbox connectors J124,125, or 126.
Otherwise, it flickers extremely dimly when connected to a row 6 source. It is also very dim with a row 7 source.
I replaced the diode on the coin interface board. No effect.
I replaced the bulb with a working bulb. No effect.
I eliminated wiring from the backbox as an issue to the coin interface board, by connecting a wire direct between the pins on J124,125, or 126 to the input diode for LAUNCH on the Coin interface board. The Row 8 pins on those connectors light the bulb brightly, but rows 6 and 7 pins exhibit the very dim light. Those same pins drive the Row 6 bulbs on the playfield just fine.
LAUNCH does not light if I connect it to a Row 6 source with a separate wire direct to the LAUNCH diode to either a playfield Row6 connector or direct to the power board connectors, J124,125, and 126 for Row 6. For instance, the “M” in Martian is a row 6 light, and it lights fine. If I pull the “M” connector, and wire direct from the Row 6 pin on that connector the LAUNCH diode, LAUNCH does not light.

Any ideas?

#2 7 years ago

Poor connection, bad socket, bad bulb, wire not letting current through good. Not much it could be.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Thanks - I eliminated all of those possibilities by passing wires, trying a different bulb, and making the light work fine by sourcing from a different row.

Quoted from LTG:

Poor connection, bad socket, bad bulb, wire not letting current through good. Not much it could be.
LTG : )

#4 7 years ago

Broken D5 on the coindoorinterfaceboard ?

#5 7 years ago

Nope. I replaced it. And if I connect a wire with a Row8 source to the diode input it lights fine.

Quoted from zaza:

Broken D5 on the coindoorinterfaceboard ?

#6 7 years ago

I did think D5 on the main power board, that powers the row 6 lamp circuit, might be worth replacing. It is quite a job though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 21.50
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vexing-light-problem-on-attack-from-mars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.