Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hobbit-Pinball-Poster-WEB.png
woz_flyer_standard_front_1.jpg
wozposter.jpg
TH_FlyerLetter_front-Standard_1.jpg
thank-you_1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

As many of you know PinballSTAR Amusements donates WOZ games to children's hospitals through donating a portion of proceeds from game sales, raffle proceeds, tournaments, and sales of tshirts, posters, and flyers to the fund we use to buy games. We have donated 3 games thusfar, St Christopher's Hospital in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh Children's Hospital, and one yet to be placed to gave to Project Pinball at ReplayFX in August. Info on our first donation and some background here for those unfamiliar... http://www.pinballnews.com/news/wozdonation.html

Well last year Mark Steinman, director of ReplayFX show in Pittsburgh, and I were discussing donating a Hobbit as part of a ceremony at ReplayFX to a local veteran's facility. Figured we did it for WOZ to children's hospitals, and the Hobbit would be a cool theme for the Vets to do something similar. We were bantering about some possible organizations - VA Hospital, Wounded Warriors, and possibly some others. We even thought of having a seminar or bringing a group of the Vets to the show where we can present it and have alot of the pinball folks mingle with them, play pinball with them, and thank them for their service at the show. We never did it obviously because the Hobbit never got made by that time, but I kept the idea in the back of my mind.

Well today's Veteran's Day and the idea popped into my head again and with the good timing of the Hobbit starting production soon. So I want to get this going. What I propose is that as a way to raise the funds is this : I will donate $ 400 from each Hobbit (LE or Smaug) sale we make here on Pinside to a Hobbit Veteran's game donation fund, until we get the money raised to donate a Hobbit Standard machine. Maybe we can keep going and do more, maybe we can do some future raffles for this cause mixed in with the children's hospital, depends on how much interest we get. Multiple donations, cities, organizations, etc...

Donate to who ? : This is where I want you suggestions. I am not familiar enough with Veteran's organizations to know which might be good. I do not want to donate to an organization that does not have a public space where the game can be enjoyed by many, doesn't have to be a hospital but like the children's hospital idea, somewhere it can be used by many who we are targeting and also can be a source of socialization and a fun distraction for the recipients. I do not want to consider organizations that just donate to ONE family or person - as good as they are - that's not what I'm seeking with the machine - I want it used daily, by many. I know we have many Vets who are pinball collectors - you guys must know of some good Vet organizations that do good work.

Where : I do want to do one in Pittsburgh as a support of all the fine charitable work and support the folks at PAPA and ReplayFX do for the community there and for the pinball community in general, plus Mark and I already talked about it. AND most importantly doing the (let's say first one) there at PAPA in March or Replay in August allow us to have many captive pinball tournament players and show attendees there to interact which would make for a nice event / ceremony. Let's show the Vet's what a great game pinball is by having them there and interacting with them. In the future if we continue, I would be open to other shows and cities across the country.

How you can help : Buy a Hobbit, mention you want your game purchase to be used towards the Hobbit Veteran's charity fund and we'll use your sale towards our goal. OR if you aren't in the market for a Hobbit but want to help - buy a Hobbit or WOZ flyer or poster (details below), or just send a Paypal donation (PLEASE do as a gift to friend so no fees - it is for charity) to [email protected] and please signify the Hobbit Veteran's fund as your desired purpose. Or just send a donation via Paypal.

Per above, we are selling Hobbit flyers $ 15 and limited edition PinballSTAR Hobbit posters $ 15 we made up (not available anywhere else) to sell with 100% of the proceeds going to the charity fund. $ 25 for both. We also have WOZ flyers and posters as well - same price. All are signed by Jersey Jack Guarnieri. Pictures attached of all. If you'd like to purchase any to help the cause - please send payment to [email protected]. Add shipping of $ 5. The posters are mailed flat and folded once, we can roll if you'd like to add another $ 5 for a tube.

Hopefully this will get as warm a reception as the children's hospital cause. Thanks for reading - now give us some suggestions - I'm open to ideas on locations, how to raise money, whatever you got...

Any game purchase inquiries please do not post here or PM on Pinside - email Sales@PinballSTAR so I can easily track them and get back to you quickly.

Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements
[email protected]
570-357-0042

wozposter.jpgwozposter.jpgwoz flyer standard front.jpgwoz flyer standard front.jpgHobbit-Pinball-Poster-WEB.pngHobbit-Pinball-Poster-WEB.pngTH_FlyerLetter_front-Standard.jpgTH_FlyerLetter_front-Standard.jpgthank-you.jpgthank-you.jpg

#6 8 years ago

All ideas are good ideas - and the purpose of this thread vs me just doing something with out opinions is to get suggestions and get educated so we can do the best placements we can for the games.

Airport USO is good idea BUT have two concerns - again, not saying no, but just to banter around pros and cons...
1. Airport security for techs who may need get there to do repairs - a hassle maybe ?
2. We won't really be hitting a 'community' of vets where groups socialize and gather on a regular basis - the airport is going to be quick ins and out ? Also - most likely none on hard times - be it injured, in need of financial help, socialization etc... that maybe a center of some sort in a city or town would have - giving something for those who might be a bit disadvantaged to have to do for fun... Again, not a necessity, but thinking of the best possible purposes of the machine. Where at an airport it's a cool quick diversion - at a center with regulars it can be a on going focal point of fun and distraction to many in need ?

Thoughts ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballstar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/veterans-day-pinballstar-hobbit-donation-suggestions-welcome?tu=pinballstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.