(Topic ID: 83212)

VERY strange pinball day.

By MustangPaul

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I was delivering some packages (I'm a courier) to a business at the LaSalle Court in downtown Minneapolis today and as I was walking down the hall I passed an Art Gallery and I stopped to look at some art glass on display. One piece was $2700 and a bigger one was $5000. The owner walked up and we started to chat and I said how beautiful they were but that I would stick with my pinball collection, he asked how many I had so I told him 14 and rattled of the names, he smiled and said that is some collection. He told me he has always loved the backglass and playfield art on pinballs especially from the '50's, '60's and '70's but hasn't seen a game since then.

After a few minutes he said he always thought a pinball art exhibition would be something he would like to do in his Gallery but he had no way of finding material so I told him about Pinside and how the pinball community in the metro area was of a pretty good size. I even told him that one of the best restorers in the country, Brian Kelly lives just a few miles away in Lakeville, he was really amazed to hear that.

I have no idea where all this will go but you have to admit this is very unique and probably has never been done in MN before. It could even get media coverage if it pans out.

The name of the gallery is "Gallery 13", web address, www.gallery13.com and his name is Stephen Sugarman

#2 10 years ago

Cool. Work it and see where it goes.

#3 10 years ago

Well done Paul !

I hope it takes and turns into something.

LTG : )™

#4 10 years ago

Spreading the good word, atta boy Paul

#5 10 years ago

I think one avenue to pitch to the gallery is the fact that it's interactive. That seems to be a trend in the art biz and can draw folks in that otherwise would never even consider it. Pinball is good like that

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

I think one avenue to pitch to the gallery is the fact that it's interactive. That seems to be a trend in the art biz and can draw folks in that otherwise would never even consider it. Pinball is good like that

I just don't know if our local pin community would or could support this kind of show. My thinking is he would need 30-40 backglasses and 30-40 playfields of diff. years and a few diff. years of games and other things I can't think of right now to pull it off and especially how long all these would be in the gallery, a day, a week, a month.

I emailed him a bunch of my pictures and told him what I could supply and suggested that he join Pinside so he could explain what he would need and expect. Time will tell.

#7 10 years ago

So no working games?

#9 10 years ago

I'll look forward to checking it out!

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Carl_694:

So no working games?

I would think only for the opening of the exhibit, 3-4 hours. Real easy to get to the gallery, park on the street, unload, go about 100ft into the building and your there. They even have a street front window where you unload.

#11 10 years ago

Oh I forgot to mention that he asked me how much a new pf goes for and when I said $500-$800 he said "oh that's not bad". I didn't have time to tell him that a resto goes for between $1200-$2000 and what you get for that kind of money. I don't know if I have the kind of pinball clout with the local community to ask them to bring their old and very valuable items for this kind of event. LTG might.

#13 10 years ago

Sooooo... Someone might be trying to recreate an arcade but without any actual working pinball machines.
    Sounds a little backwards to me.
    I kid, I kid. I too am a fan of the art. One of the great aspects of pinball.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chambahz:

Sooooo... Someone might be trying to recreate an arcade but without any actual working pinball machines.
    Sounds a little backwards to me.
    I kid, I kid. I too am a fan of the art. One of the great aspects of pinball.

I hope so because I'm recreating an arcade in my gameroom and all my pins work.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-strange-pinball-day and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.