7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6669 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_director.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So, this one has been a test and I'm reaching out to see if anyone can offer some suggestion. This machine had a U9 RAM error on the sound board. Ribbon cable was first replacement. The RAM was socketed and replaced and this happened upon boot. I swapped sound boards with Fish Tales and Fish Tales works perfect with the repaired TAF sound board. TAF, with the perfectly working in Fish Tales sound board, did this again. Speakers and speaker wiring is fine. ROM was re-burned, same issue. ROM was re-burned on a different chip, same issue. 5v was a little low on sound board, known working power driver installed -- same issue. Could it be CPU? Known working CPU installed -- same issue. I'm running out of ideas and/or missing something obvious from looking at it too long. Let me know if any of you guys have seen this before. Doesn't seem the sound rev is being recognized either. All ROMs appropriately transferred to proper game, CPU ROM also re-burned.

#2 7 years ago

Very long boot sequence too, but no sound errors. Just no sound; otherwise, game plays fine.

#4 7 years ago

No sound or bong though currently, that's the main issue. No error but no sound either.

#7 7 years ago

Bumping, any thoughts. Upon boot up, I do get a pulse from backbox speaker a few times. Getting 4.95v at sound board, little low but well within logic range generally.

#9 7 years ago

Yeah, traced connections of both yellow-black wires and black wires on all three speakers back to connector with continuity test. Interestingly, this TAF is wired like some Hurricanes and T2s -- black/black yellow wires coming from both J504 and J505, with no interconnect.

#11 7 years ago

Sound board is tested and working perfect in Fish Tales

#12 7 years ago

Could a blown tweeter cause the whole thing not to work?

#14 7 years ago

Replaced tweeter, still no luck. Have replaced other back box speaker too with known working and no luck. Only one is cab speaker that I haven't replaced.

#15 7 years ago

So, I finally got this thing to boot a sound rev, but still not work. This was the downloaded L-1 sound ROM burn from IPDB, but I'm getting Sound Rev P-7 which seems a little weird. Anyone know what's up with that?

IMG_6669 (resized).JPGIMG_6669 (resized).JPG

#17 7 years ago

Just swapped cab speaker from FT, no luck :/. Does that sound rev look right?

#19 7 years ago

So, finally have the sound fixed. My best guess is that the L-1 sound ROM file on IPDB is corrupt or can only be burned on a certain size chip. We burned on multiple 4MB chips and tried several different game ROM configs and nothing would get that sound on. Ditched the normal TAF game rom and switched the machine over to 1 4MB TAFG game ROM and the two sound ROMs on 4MB chips and everything is working great. This issue has been a nightmare and think it was a bit part of several things, but might be worth looking into that L-1 sound EPROM on IPDB if someone has a known good file for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 180.00
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_director.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-strange-boot-issue-taf-what-am-i-missing?tu=the_director and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.