Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MikeO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    images-347.jpeg
    199654-i.jpg
    199665-i.jpg
    download.jpg
    2014-02-17 17.10.46.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I had a cabelas 400 tumbler which finally gave up the ghost last week (right when I dumped in the first batch of stuff for TZ of course!).

Did some reading, went to Cabelas today (was in the area) and picked up a Hornady. It was on sale.

I can't report on the performance yet since it's only been running for a few hours, but what I can say is that this thing is quiet! My old one I had to try to hide in closets (I don't have a garage) or I would be limited to running it when nobody was home during the day. I fired this one up and didn't say a word. It's just sitting out in my basement, not enclosed anywhere.

Nobody even knew it was running. If you listen for it, you can hear it, but it sounds like our dishwasher. Actually the dishwasher is on now and it's louder than the tumbler!

2014-02-17 17.10.46.jpg2014-02-17 17.10.46.jpg
    #2 10 years ago

I just got one too, Super quiet!
    I bought the Lyman Red Rouge stuff and it's crap!

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aladdin:

I just got one too, Super quiet!
    I bought the Lyman Red Rouge stuff and it's crap!

+1 the Lyman red rouge IS crap. Nice tumbler, I have one too, but wish it were a little bigger though.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

+1 the Lyman red rouge IS crap. Nice tumbler, I have one too, but wish it were a little bigger though.

Dude, you just teed yourself up-
    download.jpgdownload.jpg

2 weeks later
    #6 10 years ago

Just an update, I've ran mine for a few weeks now and no problems to report. Very, very quiet tumbler!

#7 10 years ago

I wish it was bigger though

#8 10 years ago

Been very happy with mine. It's quiet and works a lot better than the last one.

Just have the last batch of TZ stuff in it now.

#9 10 years ago

Bought one of these Hornady M-2 tumblers myself last week, from Bass Pro Shops in Calgary. Was far_ cheaper calling the store and having them ship it from Calgary to my place here in British Columbia. I'd seen the ones on sale at Cabelas for $69 USD, but after shipping, duty, and currency conversion it'd end up running me close to $150 CDN. Calling Bass Pro directly in Calgary and having them ship it out came to just under $135 CDN, and it was here in 3 days (ordered Friday afternoon, arrived Weds morning).

Filled it up with some corn cob media that I had here to try it out, and I'm *super* impressed. QUIET! And after even just an afternoon of running I could see a difference. Off to get some crushed walnut media today/tomorrow and then I plan on keeping this thing busy for a while.

#10 10 years ago

Before and afterimage of parts would be great

#11 10 years ago

199665-i.jpg199665-i.jpg

Im sure I have more somewhere, but here are one set.

199654-i.jpg199654-i.jpg
    #12 10 years ago

I've been trying to talk myself into buying one and wondering if these can be used for other household stuff. Or do you guys just use it strictly for pinball parts?

#13 10 years ago

^^^

i use both my tumbler and ultrasonic cleaner for things other than pinball parts... the cleaner especially, but the tumbler also has it's uses...

#14 10 years ago

Bought mine from Harbor Freight for $55.00. It is a little loud, but works great. Walnut shells for the media with a little chrome polish, stuff looks brand new.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

Im sure I have more somewhere, but here are one set.

199665-i.jpg 50 KB

199654-i.jpg 20 KB

images-347.jpegimages-347.jpeg
    #16 10 years ago

Just wondering guys how much stuff can you fit in these? Is there a limit to the parts you put and will too many parts be an issue at all? I've got a Lyman 1200 Pro, seems to be a really good unit so far. Also, is it ok to put things in still together ie: nuts screwed to the base of bolts?

Thanks guys, first tumbler and hope you don't mind the questions.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

images-347.jpeg 27 KB

You are so my new best friend...

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from jardine:

Just wondering guys how much stuff can you fit in these? Is there a limit to the parts you put and will too many parts be an issue at all? I've got a Lyman 1200 Pro, seems to be a really good unit so far. Also, is it ok to put things in still together ie: nuts screwed to the base of bolts?
    Thanks guys, first tumbler and hope you don't mind the questions.

I'm sure others have their own rules, but basically you can put as much as you can and still have it tumble freely, but definitely err on the "less" side. Too much can overwork the motor. Or too many big parts can bind up.

I generally put in a handful or two of parts. Enough to fill a sandwich baggie, but that's also how I organize my parts...

#19 10 years ago

Try not to mix metal types. If you have something in there that is much harder than the rest it can scratch up the softer stuff.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from mattosborn:

Try not to mix metal types. If you have something in there that is much harder than the rest it can scratch up the softer stuff.

Good tip, thanks. At this stage I am just putting, posts, screws, washers and nuts in together so presume all this is ok. What on a pinball is classified as a softer metal that should be done more carefully?

#21 10 years ago

For example, you wouldn't want to tumble a hardened steel bolt with a brass bell.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

I'm sure others have their own rules, but basically you can put as much as you can and still have it tumble freely, but definitely err on the "less" side. Too much can overwork the motor. Or too many big parts can bind up.
    I generally put in a handful or two of parts. Enough to fill a sandwich baggie, but that's also how I organize my parts...

what media and polish paste are you using?

#23 10 years ago

I just bought the harbor freight one for $45 after coupon. look forward to my first tumble soon. I head off to a pet store soon. What are some good polishes to throw in, and when?

-G

#24 10 years ago

i use the crushed walnut from the pet store for the media and flitz for the additive...

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What are some good polishes to throw in, and when?

I use Walnut Media and a few squirts of Novus 3.

Ken

#26 10 years ago

I use walnut shell and a squirt of KIT Scratch Remover for cars. It is cheap and works really well. Rusty Leg Bolts look like new. I have the harbor freight version. The wing nut on top tends to work itself loose. I put an extra nut on it to prevent it from coming off.

#27 10 years ago

is it possible to use this to shine up my balls? does this eliminate scratches on balls ? can this machine shine up a powerball? what would the procedure be if any?

#28 10 years ago

shine - yes...

remove scratches - no not really, not anything with any depth... not with walnut media... it really isn't hard enough to cut that much...

procedure is the same... turn on tumbler, toss in balls, wait...

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from kovalski3:

I use walnut shell and a squirt of KIT Scratch Remover for cars. It is cheap and works really well.

+1. Scratch remover works quite well. Blue Magic metal polish works great too, but that's a bit more expensive.

#30 10 years ago

I use walnut and Extreme Chrome Polish works great.

#31 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Here I a comparison of two parts. One through Harbor Freight tumbler and extreme chrome polish and the other which did not.

#32 10 years ago

I have been using a squirt if Novus 2 and seems to work a treat. Might try some polish remover next time around as the results look impressive.

Is it ok to put spinner assays and gates in these things complete? Any chance of damaging anything? And is it just me but how do you keep the media from getting into the tops of screws, inside nuts and inside posts!! Man, what a pain.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from cantbfrank:

Here I a comparison of two parts. One through Harbor Freight tumbler and extreme chrome polish and the other which did not.

Wow, the shine looks great, but it really wore that post down, it looks much shorter!

#34 10 years ago

I use Novus 2 for the additive.

FWIW, the motor just crapped out on my 4-5 year old Berry polisher and for less than $30 out of pocket they will be replacing the motor and shipping it back to me. I can't complain for the price.

I just posted separately on Pinside about my experience.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-4-5-yr-old-berry-polisher-motor-crapped-out-on-me-this-week

Mike O.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-pleased-with-new-tumbler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.