• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210326_183821 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum and I am French so please excuse my English.

I have got a Williams System 11b pinball #Police Force.

The CPU board suffered from battery leaking when I purchased it. So I moved batteries off the board, cleaned board with vinegar to neutralize acid. I changed C24 C26 C29 capacitors, U42 U41 PIA, changed all chip supports, SRC2 SIL, U43 and Q50 for the blanking circuit and U25 ROM.
The board booted then fine for few weeks until I got the IRQ failure message.

I put off the CPU board from the cabinet, plugged it on an ATX PC power supply and changed U29 in the IRQ circuit. The board booted again. But when back in the cabinet, the IRQ failure came back.

Back again with my CPU board on my workbench and ATX power supply, I noticed a very low 5V voltage of only 3.9V! That's the problem.

I changed others PIA, U31 to U37 logic gates, SRC1 to SRC9 SIL and ZR1 D1 and D2 diodes... unsuccessfull. Still only 3.9V but with the CPU board booting (5v and blanking LEDs on, diagnostic LED flashing fast) on the workbench.

Moreover, not hot components and 1.3A current consumption on the 5V line with all disconnected connectors.

Does anybody already faced that trouble? Any idea?

Thanks in advance for your help.

20210326_183821 (resized).jpg20210326_183821 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Check this out: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_an_integrated_circuit

Instead of putting the red leg on the chips ground leg put it on ground of the board and test every 74XX series chip. You'll quickly learn which is the ground leg of each chip. Expect a chirp out of the 5V leg too. All other legs should show between .4 and .6. You are looking for pins that are shorted to ground. Any you find compare to the schematics and make sure it wasn't on purpose. If it wasn't then that chip has shorted and could be the cause of your drain.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks for your quick answer. I did not know that test method for 74xxx chips.
I will have a look on it and give you a feedback.

#4 3 years ago

Hi,

Is your testing tip is also working for 74LSxx and 74HCxx séries?

Thanks

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from solo14:

Hi,
Is your testing tip is also working for 74LSxx and 74HCxx séries?
Thanks

I'm not an expert but I believe it works for all 7400 series ICs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Hardware
Tucson Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-low-5v-on-cpu-williams-system-11b-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.