(Topic ID: 8608)

Very Interesting Thread About Pinside.

By pinmike

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

you-rock.jpg
    Salma12.JPG
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 12 years ago

There are a number of great internet sites devoted to pinball.

I've been on RGP for years, and tend to spend the majority of my pinball 'time' there.

Having said that, I spend some time on several other sites, Aussie Pinball, Pinball Bash, Aussie Arcade, etc.

A lot of the comments I see on various forums take shots at RGP that I don't agree with - but different strokes for different folks, it's good that people have a variety of choices as to where to spend their time and enjoy their hobby.

I have no problem with moderation, as long as moderators are fair to all parties involved - I've seen examples of moderation in the past that were out of line.

#52 12 years ago

Pinside = pinball community
    RGP = snowball fight made out of cow patties, with some pinball talk thrown in.

The vast majority of expertise is still found on RGP, but that's slowly changing.

#53 12 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

A lot of bleed over between groups, this is a relatively small hobby.

Heard that ,, Check this out ... Look's like you Like Trouble.. Seeing people at their worst, until they turn on you for yr Comment's, Then you Cry and try to have them Banned.. Yr Quote below ....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pinball Wizard

Pinside is pretty decent but what the hell is up with the LED love affair.

Also a heavily moderated group, I like seeing people's true colors and having offensive material deleted sugar coats some shady characters. I understand the desire for them to have a "friendly" forum but I like being able to see people at their worst.

#54 12 years ago

No spelling police.
    I wouldn't say we are recruiting from them. One person mentioning our site does not equate recruitment. If our people start posting there, great. If they start posting here, that is good too.
    And I would not call it a rivalry. Many of us just don't care about the goings on at RGP. People have pride in that site. People have pride in this site. Personally, I don't see the problem.

#55 12 years ago

Uh oh, Taylor said people like LEDs. Like OMG!
    I mean, Really?

Or is it that he said there is bleed over between the groups? Is that a problem?

Or is it that you two have a history and though he made a general comment in a professional manner, you resort to name calling and Ima tell?

Keep your personal rivalry or whatever it is personal. Because nobody else here wants to hear about it.

#56 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Mr68 is one of the great guys in the pinball hobby! It cool to have such a class act here on Pinside .

Jim

Agreed. Welcome Kim.

Two pinball companies; two sites to talk pinball. Enjoy the golden age of pinball!!

#57 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Keep your personal rivalry or whatever it is personal. Because nobody else here wants to hear about it.

Agreed !!! I Hate the guy ,, No more said !!!

#58 12 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Mr68 is one of the great guys in the pinball hobby!

Nice to see ya stop by Mr68

#59 12 years ago

pinside has been an awesome site for me, i'm pretty new to the hobby and pretty far from a "big gun" on any site. pinside has a really great interface and community. RGP still has what feels like more users and technical info/experts but both sites have their own uses and specialties. bottom line is if you're a good guy/gal, maintain civilness andhave a few good transactions you'll keep a good rep wherever you go. if not your bad rep will follow you around with or without moderation.

#60 12 years ago

I'm young, and have not been in the hobby as long as most do to my age. I'm more of a player than anything. I pay a guy to fix all the issues I can't just by tinkering. I even had him replace my bridge rectifiers on BSD. I have never truly felt welcome at RGP, and after reading that thread it seems they want "noobs" like me to stay here on Pinside. All I have to say is thank you for always making me feel welcome Pinsiders.

#61 12 years ago

O

Quoted from ianwho:

I'm young, and have not been in the hobby as long as most do to my age. I'm more of a player than anything. I pay a guy to fix all the issues I can't just by tinkering. I even had him replace my bridge rectifiers on BSD. I have never truly felt welcome at RGP, and after reading that thread it seems they want "noobs" like me to stay here on Pinside. All I have to say is thank you for always making me feel welcome Pinsiders.

For better or worse this may be the future. If a younger generation is going to get into pinball they won't necessarily want to sit around and fix broken machines all day. Playing pinball will eclipse fixing them. That's why you have people who want to learn how to adjust flippers without getting flamed. It's not sacred knowledge. I'd rather learn the mechanics of play then how to troubleshoot but they are somewhat interconnected. I feel pinside, like papa vimeo (which could almost be on cable tv) has the potential to be a bellwether for the direction pinball is headed.

#62 12 years ago

Pinside is the best pinball site on the Internet! I only use RGP for WTb posts. Yes I'm a pinball "noob" still but after I got my 1st pin about 9 months ago I searched google for pinball help and stumbled across Pinside. I've never had a problem with anyone on Pinside. It's just a great site for pinball and isn't that a good thing in a dying hobby???

RGP just seems like a dick measuring forum! Everyone knows more than this guy or this guy is an asshole for saying this! I mean c'mon, I'm assuming most of us are adults here but yet 75% act like 14 year olds lol.

In my short time in this hobby I have met several great people on Pinside, gotten help/advice on every problem I've had and generally had a great time on Pinside! In fact if it wasn't for guys like Pinmike and Ssathre over there I probably would have gotten to frustrated with this hobby and called it quits.

So all in all IMO Pinside is the better website. I check 1000 times a day.

On a side note: the site owner Robin noticed that I hadn't been posting for awhile and sent me an email just to see if everything was ok with me. Now I'm married with 2 kids so I don't need to be babied ( which I'm sure that's what some of you will turn this into) but just that simple gesture is one of the big differences between the sites. All the guys over on Pinside are like a big family that even tho I'm new to, I'm proud to be apart of! PINSIDE RULES!!!

This was my response to the thread in RGP. Like ianwho said I'm younger than most in this hobby and somewhat of a "noob" I guess but with MY fellow pinsiders help I can now work on my own pins ! I have learned so many things from you guys and I hope to start helping others as well soon! If I ever need help with anything I know where to go.

I mean my 1st day on the site Tatman was having a Pinside get together and invited me to his house! Ssathre helped me out big time to! Nothing like that would happen on RGP. Don't he me wrong I post and lurk on there to but if I had to choose one the choice would easily be Pinside!

#63 12 years ago

I fell in love with Pinside too, really the coolest place, nice features and great people!

#64 12 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

I don't like RGP - too hostile, too many egos. Pinside offers a better experience especially since the site is fully featured with users collections and the database.

Agreed 100%. Also greatly appreciate the fact that I don't see 50 "Look at this idiot on CL!!" posts a day here. Man those get old.

#65 12 years ago

I think this is easily the best pin forum on the net. I can't believe some posters of RGP ( I post there too) don't like Pinside, because you can't act like a Dick on here. It's not like you can't argue on here, it's not always rainbows and unicorns like some RGP'ers say it is. When I first joined about 2 months ago, I got into it with Jim A.K.A honda350R. I don't recall anybody on here really getting to bent out of shape about it. That particular argument was my mistake, as I thought Jim was being contradictory (trolling)just for the sake of it. Didn't realise he actually knows what he's talking about(see his refurb pics). Posts have a way of being taken out of context quite a bit as well. Anyway, point is you can have a minority opinion on this site and still get along without acting like an ass. Of course if I really want to read alot of name calling RGP is head and shoulders above Pinside for that. Bottom line: This is my favorite site and I will probably be posting on here for a long time to come.

#66 12 years ago

Honestly even if this sight was not moderated, I would like it better. It has a more modern feel, you get more than just text. Robin is always trying to improve things, and takes all suggestions into account. I love this sight.

#67 12 years ago

I've mostly lurked on a lot of forums for many years. I prefer pinside or klov. The problem with RGP is there are a small number of people who run off anyone who posts stuff they disagree with by crossing a boundary of questionable ethical and legal behavior that would no be tolerated in any other forum. There's a difference between censorship, and cyber-harassment.

#68 12 years ago

Hi I'm fairly new to the pinside forums. When I got into the hobby years ago I didn't recall pinside having an active forums group so I just used it for ratings and pin details. Recently, I've been enjoying the site and forum posts 10x more than rgp. Pinside is starting to become my go to site for pinball discussion. RGP is good but there's so much I have to weed through to find constructive posts.

This place feels more like a pinball community.

#69 12 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Bingo!

#70 12 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

+1

#71 12 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

+2

#72 12 years ago

RGP= The Dark Side. Apparently Im on the wrong forum lol

#73 12 years ago

It's not that we hate RGP, its just that we have Pinside pride.

#74 12 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Dueling threads. I love it.
    I'm fairly new here, been mostly lurking, but understand the pride you guys have with Pinside. You should be proud, you've earned it. But RGP has its positives also and I don't see the need for a rivalry.
    Gawd, I hope you guys don't have the spelling police over here...
    NimblePin, keeps those sweater puppets coming. : )

There goes the neighborhood

#75 12 years ago

I also feel I have a vested interest in the site. Having an avatar, karma, my collection, story, donation all make me feel a part of it. Don't know if that was what Robin had in mind when he did it but that's what happened. Just the idea that we would give a guy we don't know a pin says it all.

#76 12 years ago

I say we let this go. Both resources serve a purpose and an audience. In the end, we all love pinball so the more the merrier.

#77 12 years ago

Well, if it weren't for that thread on RGP I would have never known pinside has grown the way it has. The last time I looked at the forums here they were just getting started and no one was posting. I'm glad I came and took another look...what an amazing improvement there has been here, to the forum and the entire site. I figured I would sign up and start contributing here too.

I've been on RGP for 5 years or so. I'm not a huge poster, but have racked up 1300 or so posts over that time. Honestly, I think some of you guys are being a little harsh on the people there. Sure there is a lot of crap, but there are also many great people who are willing to lend a hand, give great tech advice, help guide newbies, and take care of valued members in need...much as I've seen here. I have met many "real life" friends through RGP and visited some of their homes to play their games, and had them over to play mine. Someone in this thread said that sort of thing would never happen on RGP, but honestly that's bull.

To be fair, I also think some of the guys over there are being hard on the pinside community. Sure, this is a kinder, gentler place...but I don't see that as a bad thing. Moderation is a concern from some people's standpoint, but if done correctly I don't have a problem with that either. I have noticed that many of the more "seasoned" expert types stay over there, and there are a lot more beginners over here. I would kindly suggest that the newcomers to the hobby use all of the resources available to them, including those experts over at RGP (many of whom are more than willing to help!), as they learn. That said, I can also see that there is a ton of knowledge being shared here as well...so please don't take that as a knock to pinside.

I am happy I checked the place out. I'll be sticking around and sharing the little bit of knowledge that I've picked up along the way every chance I get. I'll also continue to do the same on RGP. It's nice to have both resources and communities to keep our crazy hobby going and growing! There is room for everyone!

Take care, and play nice!
    Chris

#78 12 years ago

I don't know which thread is more entertaining to read, this one, or the one at RGP!

#79 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Well, if it weren't for that thread on RGP I would have never known pinside has grown the way it has. The last time I looked at the forums here they were just getting started and no one was posting. I'm glad I came and took another look...what an amazing improvement there has been here, to the forum and the entire site. I figured I would sign up and start contributing here too.

I've been on RGP for 5 years or so. I'm not a huge poster, but have racked up 1300 or so posts over that time. Honestly, I think some of you guys are being a little harsh on the people there. Sure there is a lot of crap, but there are also many great people who are willing to lend a hand, give great tech advice, help guide newbies, and take care of valued members in need...much as I've seen here. I have met many "real life" friends through RGP and visited some of their homes to play their games, and had them over to play mine. Someone in this thread said that sort of thing would never happen on RGP, but honestly that's bull.

To be fair, I also think some of the guys over there are being hard on the pinside community. Sure, this is a kinder, gentler place...but I don't see that as a bad thing. Moderation is a concern from some people's standpoint, but if done correctly I don't have a problem with that either. I have noticed that many of the more "seasoned" expert types stay over there, and there are a lot more beginners over here. I would kindly suggest that the newcomers to the hobby use all of the resources available to them, including those experts over at RGP (many of whom are more than willing to help!), as they learn. That said, I can also see that there is a ton of knowledge being shared here as well...so please don't take that as a knock to pinside.

I am happy I checked the place out. I'll be sticking around and sharing the little bit of knowledge that I've picked up along the way every chance I get. I'll also continue to do the same on RGP. It's nice to have both resources and communities to keep our crazy hobby going and growing! There is room for everyone!

Chris

Well said, Chris!

#80 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Chris

Here is the prospective from someone that is new to both boards. Chris (coincidentially my name too, Cool) nailed exactly what I was thinking. But lets keep one thing in perspective here. Many say RPG is this, and RPG is that the Pinside thread over there turned ugly and what not. But in all fairness to both boards, I see a few stones being thrown towards RPG too in this thread also.

Now, im a big fan of both of these forums. This one maybe a little more because im a forum type of guy and I really like the ease of reading and keeping track of what type of posts go where, classifieds have thier own section and things are devided up nicely. The format here is way easier to read and surf. Over at RGP, its basically, "everyone in the pool" and there is no organization. But I also like the raw real attitues that are sometimes refreshing since RGP is un-moderated. Unfortuneatly, it goes too far sometimes and people take advantage of that. I do wish there was some sort of moderation with some of the threads over there but I cant say I have ever seen anything occur that would leave me not wanting to come back.

In the end, I enjoy both the RPG board and this one and as long as there are boards like these in Pinball. Its good for the hobby IMO.

#81 12 years ago

I went over there to check out the thread. Pretty funny! It seems they (or some) think it takes "Balls" to post on an unmoderated site. Sheesh!...does it take balls to swim in a cesspool? I go on these sites to have a good time, learn something and find fellow Pinball Collectors. The rest is just bull$hit! I hate wasting time on this kind of stuff when I can be watching the guy from CT restore his Hulk machine!

#82 12 years ago

Having just started looking at both sites, it was quickly clear that there's a "meanness" in the air at RGP (profanity, overly aggressive personal attacks) that I don't see here... A much cooler vibe at Pinside!!

#83 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I hate wasting time on this kind of stuff when I can be watching the guy from CT restore his Hulk machine!

Thanks for the shout out!

I found this site first and have had a wealth of people answer any question I've had and quickly. Just haven't had the need to go over there. I have nothing against RPG, besides the off putting format

#84 12 years ago

All these boards are good and serve their purpose. I usally stay on my local board when time is short. If I looking for a hard to find game specific part then I will venture out to RGP or some others.

#85 12 years ago

Yeah! Go Hulk! My main issue is time. When Pinball is not the only thing you do...time here is valuable.

#86 12 years ago

I dig everyone I've met from Pinside off the board directly and while out in the wild.
    I'd like to meet more people off the board and if possible in FL.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-interesting-thread-about-pinside/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.