Very disappointed with JJP support on my WOZ 75RR

By pezmel

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I bought my machine new two days before Christmas a couple of months ago. I fell in love with machine as did my family. I noticed a loud hum the machine was producing which was bothersome. On top of that the plunger was being blocked and I was having issues getting balls to fire. I opened this ticket the late that night of receiving my machine. I knew the holidays were busy so I was patient with my ticket. It took support almost two weeks to even respond to my ticket and that was after I called asking for an update.

Fast forward to last month and my machine crashed. When I went to power it on it wouldn't boot and I was getting a red light under the graphics on the screen. I could hear the machine was looping. I tried multiple times to get it power on and it would never complete the boot process. I gave up and thought it might have been a heat issue so I let it cool down. I tried again the next day and it booted. I didn't turn it off and it played rock solid without issue and with a bunch of plays on it.

Once the new code was released I went to update mine and the machine wasn't recognizing the usb key I had previously used on it. I knew a reboot was going to be needed anyway so I rebooted the machine and it wouldn't turn on. This time the boot loop was a little bit different. I didn't see the red light on the screen and I could hear the computer rebooting over and over. I opened a ticket right away that Wednesday evening. After my last experience with support I decided to call the local vendor that I purchased from as well. I explained I had opened a ticket with Jersey Jack and that I had to wait a long time for support from the previous issue. My local supplier is Joystix here in Houston. I spoke with the owner of Joystix and he said he would have his pinball repair guy call me. I was shocked when I was contacted later that night by the Joystix tech and told he could be onsite the next day.

The tech arrives and looks over the machine and decides the screen has gone bad and with newer units if the screen won't power on, the rest of the game won't either. He also mentions he's seen this issue before and he called JJP to call in the part. He couldn't get anyone on the phone so he left a message after trying to call two different times. The Joystix tech said the part would be shipped to them and then they would come out for the install. This was late in the day on a Friday and I didn't expect the part to ship that day. I was disappointed it didn't ship until that following Wednesday. My ticket was never updated from JJP so I called on Wednesday for an update and my call was returned on Thursday. I asked for a tracking number and it was sent later that day.

Support said they were sorry and they were trying to hire additional help but I experienced terrible support twice over the course of three months. Unacceptable for a three month old expensive toy. With that said I love the machine and I'm so happy to bought local. I'm usually one that will do everything possible to save a buck. I bought local because I knew we had a great supplier here in Houston and I knew these machines were complicated and I'm not skilled enough to work on one. I paid a fair price and while not bottom dollar it was worth it to receive outstanding support from Joystix. I don't know if I'll ever buy another JJP machine but whatever I buy you can bet it will be from Joystix.

#3 8 years ago

That's the great thing about buying from a local guy, they can assist in these situations.

JJP has been known for great customer support in the past. Hopefully this is a glitch and they will staff up once Hobbit Pins are shipping and the Spice begins to flow.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

That's the great thing about buying from a local guy, they can assist in these situations.
JJP has been known for great customer support in the past. Hopefully this is a glitch and they will staff up once Hobbit Pins are shipping and the Spice begins to flow.

Sending stickers out for defective pf's is pretty shitty customer support in my book.

#5 8 years ago

Your distributor is a great resource. Since you're here on Pinside, LTG is also a great resource with any WOZ issues. His response time is amazing.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Sending stickers out for defective pf's is pretty shitty customer support in my book.

True dat.

#7 8 years ago

pezmel - Can you please email me? [email protected]. Thank you!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from pezmel:

It took support almost two weeks to even respond to my ticket

I am sorry for what ever went wrong.

If you don't get a response within a day, please contact me, with the ticket number. And I'll look into it.

LTG : )

#9 8 years ago

Thank you for providing an agnostic and unbiased point of view about your experience with your machine. Posts like these really help fellow pinsiders make educated purchasing decisions.

Even if this is a worst case scenario, being prepared by knowing what can go wrong, how to contact support (i.e. basically to get on pinside and talk to LTG), is helpful to know.

#10 8 years ago

I had a problem day one with my game. I was straight onto JJP support. I was not happy with their time taken to respond and lack of any substance with problem resolution. I felt like it was dismissed and not treated with any priority. Without my local distributor I would have got no where fast with JJP. My distributor also wrote to JJP support requesting a response.

Problem was: three ball lock arm coil would fire when other coils fired and frequency increased as game heated up. As a result of this lock arm coil burnt out. Wtf. My distributor sent a replacement coil, I changed over coils problem was still there.

Solution was: checked all switches, finding four that required repairs. After 40+ hours and many calls to my Dist. I found the cause. The main board had been damaged at factory, with many transistors bent and grounding each other out. Looked like something had been dropped or rested on top of board. This could have been avoided and should have been picked up before pin left factory. I did all the work on this to avoid having a tech. come out.

My ticket is still open at JJP, if they followed up I would advise finding but due to their lack of support and expectation that I had to pull my new pin apart to find a problem which should have been fixed at factory!

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

I had a problem day one with my game. I was straight onto JJP support. I was not happy with their time taken to respond and lack of any substance with problem resolution. I felt like it was dismissed and not treated with any priority. Without my local distributor I would have got no where fast with JJP. My distributor also wrote to JJP support requesting a response.
Problem was: three ball lock arm coil would fire when other coils fired and frequency increased as game heated up. As a result of this lock arm coil burnt out. Wtf. My distributor sent a replacement coil, I changed over coils problem was still there.
Solution was: checked all switches, finding four that required repairs. After 40+ hours and many calls to my Dist. I found the cause. The main board had been damaged at factory, with many transistors bent and grounding each other out. Looked like something had been dropped or rested on top of board. This could have been avoided and should have been picked up before pin left factory. I did all the work on this to avoid having a tech. come out.
My ticket is still open at JJP, if they followed up I would advise finding but due to their lack of support and expectation that I had to pull my new pin apart to find a problem which should have been fixed at factory!

I think JJP's support isn't bad at all, sorry to hear of the issues u had with them.

#12 8 years ago

My ticket is still open at JJP,

Please PM me the ticket number so I can let them know.

Thank you,

#13 8 years ago

I have had nothing but great experiences so far... Im sorry for your trouble.

#14 8 years ago

Lloyd,

Your responses and advise are always great but you cant alone cover up all the mistakes and misfortunes JJP has. Every time I talked to them they were very helpful and pleasant, that said, the parts sent were totally wrong. How can this happen when I give them my game number? Jen was also very helpful and pleasant but it should never have gotten that far. I am currently involved in helping another Pinsider repair his game as well and the experience he has received is nothing short of terrible. ( completely wrong parts, twice now. After I went over and correctly diagnosed the concern, still wrong parts sent. I am very unclear how this happens, when so few games actually exist. ).

Take it as constructive criticism, I love my game and hope the best for JJP, as my wife would really like a Hobbit as well but customer service needs some attention.

#15 8 years ago

Sounds like it's taken time and effort but they've still fixed the machine for free. Could be worse!

#16 8 years ago

I have never had a problem with support from JJP. It has been great.

#17 8 years ago

I am very sorry for your frustration and hope things improve. Personally, I have had nothing but great experiences. I find that you do need to stay up on the tickets and remind them occasionally; being persistent was helpful. I am positive they will make things right for you. They have a lot of really great people working there, so I'll bet you were lost in their system somewhere.

I wish you the best moving forward. WOZ is a great pin.

#18 8 years ago

I had two issues with my WOZLE, both solved with one call each time.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Your responses and advise are always great but you cant alone cover up all the mistakes and misfortunes JJP has.

The world isn't perfect. Crap happens, things get missed. My concern is to try and correct the problem, if something does go wrong.

There are changes within JJP to get the right help and get the right parts where needed. They know the system needs work.

#20 8 years ago

So far I have had a few small issues, some were resolved quickly and others took some time, response time was the main issue however when contact is made JJP have been very helpful and friendly resolving any issues. Sometimes I think the tickets just get lost in the system as follow up emails have always got the ball rolling again. Can be frustrating when machine is down but worth the wait.

#21 8 years ago

I have had more problems with WOZ than I should say here but support has always been excellent. Sorry you had trouble but overall JJP support has been great. Frank and Lloyd are the only reason I pre-purchased Hobbit.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The world isn't perfect. Crap happens, things get missed. My concern is to try and correct the problem, if something does go wrong. LTG : )

I could not agree more. These machines are not made by BMW or General Electric with millions of funding and an army of engineers in their corner. I would say that these machines are made by enthusiasts for enthusiasts. I do understand that every dollar we, the consumer, spends is a perfect and non-broken dollar and that we expect perfect products. But not even the mighty Apple or Google can deliver to the expectations the demanding customer base rightfully has these days...how should an outfit like JJP have a better shot at being perfect?

I know, I know...the situation sucks but do not forget that there are NO winners here. Every little thing that goes wrong cuts right into JJP's already limited profit - they do of course not mess up on purpose as it hurts them as much as it hurts you and I love the fact that representatives of the company check in here -in this thread- without being baited into online drama.
All they want to do is help and make it right....props to them.

No, I do not own one of their systems, I am just a fellow self-employed guy, passionate about his underpaying work, one who is trying to make ends meet - one who understands.

#23 8 years ago

I do see both sides of it but when you're $9000+ proud of the games you sell, the support should be stellar.
I work for a retailer and prices are higher for the tech support and warranty/parts offered.
You win most, and lose on a few. That's just how business operates. Hopefully you're selling a product you feel will be reliable.
In JJP's case as far as WoZ [can't comment on Hobbit] there's an abundance of glitches and weird problems that plagued early games and games in certain time blocks of manufacture.

The ones we've sold locally, have been very reliable in home use. Lots we've never heard a peep out of the customers.

Sounds like tech support [department - not people] needs to improve and be way more responsive.

#24 8 years ago

Yes, it is a shame as we want to see all of our manufacturers to be succesful and all of our fellow pinsiders be 100% happy with their purchases, you are right

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I do see both sides of it but when you're $9000+ proud of the games you sell, the support should be stellar.
I work for a retailer and prices are higher for the tech support and warranty/parts offered.
You win most, and lose on a few. That's just how business operates. Hopefully you're selling a product you feel will be reliable.
In JJP's case as far as WoZ [can't comment on Hobbit] there's an abundance of glitches and weird problems that plagued early games and games in certain time blocks of manufacture.
The ones we've sold locally, have been very reliable in home use. Lots we've never heard a peep out of the customers.
Sounds like tech support [department - not people] needs to improve and be way more responsive.

If JJP offers white glove tech support that 9k game is going to cost 10k+. I think one of the challenges JJP has here is they are bringing new people into the hobby that may not be as comfortable troubleshooting and fixing things and expect someone to do it for them as they paid a lot for their game. Doing more with support means we all pay more for the games.

I don't have a JJP distributor in New Zealand so really all I care about is being able to get parts (no problems there) and I have emailed Lloyd before to confirm my diagnosis all good, again excellent response. Plenty responsive from my standpoint and really all I ask for.

#26 8 years ago

You nailed it CLG. Due to my inexperience and the cost of the machine I'm extremely nervous to do much of anything except basic troubleshooting. I'm monkey-handed I'm the king of the over-torque. None of this was an issue with my topic but it's a great point.

With all that said, I LOVE this machine. It's been a rough two weeks not coming to Dorothy's rescue.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from pezmel:

You nailed it CLG. Due to my inexperience and the cost of the machine I'm extremely nervous to do much of anything except basic troubleshooting. I'm monkey-handed I'm the king of the over-torque. None of this was an issue with my topic but it's a great point.
With all that said, I LOVE this machine. It's been a rough two weeks not coming to Dorothy's rescue.

Lloyd will do right by you. You're in the right place. JJP did a great job in fixing my ECLE issues.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please PM me the ticket number so I can let them know.
Thank you,

PM sent.

Thanks for your quick reply. Lloyd. Shirt size "L" lol

#29 8 years ago

Pezmel,
Sorry to hear your frustration. I own a very early production WOZLE that needed a new power supply/some answers/ a new back glass/and a few sets of LED boards as JJP worked their initial design defects out.. Happy to say that because of personal conversations with Jack himself/Jen/and Lloyd... all (so far) has worked out well.
I'm like you still newbie with repairs... but I would start with a PM/call to LTG first ( I assume he's still A1 tech support for JJP) and he will get you to the right help or fix your issue...ticket system not very efficient...

#30 8 years ago

That is a bummer - I have had very good support from JJP (Lloyd, Frank and Sal specifically) for a few issues I have had with my WOZ over the last year - responses have mostly been same day - some within minutes. Some issues have taken some time to figure out and resolve but they always hung in there and got it done. When parts were needed they have arrived within a couple days.

#31 8 years ago

Thanks all. I've emailed Jen as she requested and my reseller is taking care of the issues so I should be good. Hopefully I'll soon resume my streak of not killing the witch and choking every time I activate that mode.

#32 8 years ago

We as local distributors support all of our customers. Have common parts in stock. We are very familiar with common issues that arise in a pinball. If we get in a bind we can get support right away. We also support our local pinball shows. I'm a little biased but you should support your local distributor. They have your back.

#33 8 years ago

Oddly enough that is why I bought my machine locally in the first place. Joystix had a bunch of the newer machines at the local arcade expo. It was awesome being able to play all the new stuff.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from pezmel:

We were all there once and I totally understand where you are coming from. Here I have no options other than fixing it myself. It gets easier to work on them though!

#35 8 years ago

Wow just had email from Jack. JJP onto it now! Cool. Thanks for your follow up Lloyd.

We are lucky here in Aust. Or local Distributor goes out of his way to help. Wayne responds to calls and emails very promptly.

Just waiting on flipper spring now, postie due soon...hurry up!!

#36 8 years ago

JJP will make it right.
All the distributors have trouble from time to time, but fortunately for our beloved hobby, the level of support seems to be pretty good for the most part.
I've not heard of anyone who owns a pin that won't play, rather "acceptable" issues are playfield chips etc, but luckily not much worse than that.
Sucks that you have had to contend with these issues but I expect you'll be made right very soon.

#37 8 years ago

My support with JJP has been nothing but amazing! Im sure it will all be fine in the end.

#38 8 years ago

I believe it all comes down to the distributor.....which is why my friends and I use no one but Gary at Abel Electronics! Got lucky and met Gary on a random call looking for a Woz Le. Unreal customer service and just an honest asset to the pinball community! I'm sure there are other great guys out there, but ill put my name on Gary. If everyone bought from distros like this, we would see much less of these kind of threads. I really support the product that Jack has brought to the table, as It fits the bill for what I expect for this amount of $$, but you can bring the best product in the world to the public with bad customer service and still fail at the do of the day!

#39 8 years ago

Charlie at Joysitx is great. I'm certain he will make this right.

#40 8 years ago

Sorry to hear of your troubles.I should have my ECLE in a month or less.Hopefully I won't have any issues...

#41 8 years ago

Hate to hear about the bad experiences w/JJP customer support. Hopefully as time goes on they'll continue to get better dialed in. As far as distributors go, Chris & crew over at King Pin Games are phenomenal and have a close relationship w/JJP. Best of luck to everyone resolving issue with your pins.

#42 8 years ago

Two Thumbs up from me on JJP Support as well! Light years ahead of any other pinball manufacturer out there.

#43 8 years ago

I don't have a JJP machine...but have my MMRLE on order through them (yes, still waiting two years later). But, I have never had a problem contacting them. Katie is phenomenally quick in responding to my emails. I might not like what she has to say , but she is great. Lloyd has helped me troubleshoot issues with my other machines in the past. I would not hesitate to do business with JJP and like others have said, their visibility on this forum, to me shows that they care about their customer AND the product they sell.

#44 8 years ago

The main board had been damaged at factory, with many transistors bent and grounding each other out.

Just another reason to take the time to inspect your expensive NIB game top to bottom THOROUGHLY upon arrival...
Sure it's "supposed" to be checked, double checked, and sometimes even triple checked from the factory but, ship(ping) happens! (and sometimes employee neglect in this case.)
Who knows how much abuse your game has taken over the course of a routine delivery?
Not having forklift holes straight through the box is always a good thing but still, check for other signs of external damage as well. (cracked or broken pallet, crumpled edges, etc...)

Once opened,
An extra half-hour of inspection on your part can save you a ton of grief later; possibly letting LTG get a full night of sleep too!
(clutch the pearls!)

I understand that it's new and shiny and you have 25 people standing behind you wanting to play ___ as soon as possible but, seriously. Take the time to re-seat all connectors, (both PF and boards,) properly space bent transistors (see above); that all the mechs move smoothly and aren't obstructed by something like a loose harness, coil grounding out on a fallen screw, or worse- Tito's recently misplaced lucky gold chain.

Hey, it can happen!

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

I should have my ECLE in a month or less.Hopefully I won't have any issues...

All pinball machines will have issues part of the mechanics we signed up for.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

lots of good points...

But I have to imagine that if new customers are going to get into pinball some (maybe most) of them are not going to know they need to take it apart and thoroughly look through the entire system unless there are instructions in the box to do it. How many folks buy anything and take it apart to make sure it's still assembled properly before starting to use it. It may sound reasonable to pinheads, but I would imagine not to most folks.

Perhaps that's just an expectation that will always be with such an electro-mechanical beast but it's probably also something that holds it back for expanding the customer base, especially given the high sticker price.

#47 8 years ago

Our location bought an early run WoZ and it has been a very frustrating experience for them. Constant failures, a total lemon. Their tech implies that JJP support now mostly tries to avoid their calls. It's sad because it is a cool machine and I would love to use it for tournaments, but it is NEVER available. JJP should just have just sent a replacement.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from pezmel:

I bought my machine new two days before Christmas a couple of months ago. I fell in love with machine as did my family. I noticed a loud hum the machine was producing which was bothersome. On top of that the plunger was being blocked and I was having issues getting balls to fire. I opened this ticket the late that night of receiving my machine. I knew the holidays were busy so I was patient with my ticket. It took support almost two weeks to even respond to my ticket and that was after I called asking for an update.
Fast forward to last month and my machine crashed. When I went to power it on it wouldn't boot and I was getting a red light under the graphics on the screen. I could hear the machine was looping. I tried multiple times to get it power on and it would never complete the boot process. I gave up and thought it might have been a heat issue so I let it cool down. I tried again the next day and it booted. I didn't turn it off and it played rock solid without issue and with a bunch of plays on it.
Once the new code was released I went to update mine and the machine wasn't recognizing the usb key I had previously used on it. I knew a reboot was going to be needed anyway so I rebooted the machine and it wouldn't turn on. This time the boot loop was a little bit different. I didn't see the red light on the screen and I could hear the computer rebooting over and over. I opened a ticket right away that Wednesday evening. After my last experience with support I decided to call the local vendor that I purchased from as well. I explained I had opened a ticket with Jersey Jack and that I had to wait a long time for support from the previous issue. My local supplier is Joystix here in Houston. I spoke with the owner of Joystix and he said he would have his pinball repair guy call me. I was shocked when I was contacted later that night by the Joystix tech and told he could be onsite the next day.
The tech arrives and looks over the machine and decides the screen has gone bad and with newer units if the screen won't power on, the rest of the game won't either. He also mentions he's seen this issue before and he called JJP to call in the part. He couldn't get anyone on the phone so he left a message after trying to call two different times. The Joystix tech said the part would be shipped to them and then they would come out for the install. This was late in the day on a Friday and I didn't expect the part to ship that day. I was disappointed it didn't ship until that following Wednesday. My ticket was never updated from JJP so I called on Wednesday for an update and my call was returned on Thursday. I asked for a tracking number and it was sent later that day.
Support said they were sorry and they were trying to hire additional help but I experienced terrible support twice over the course of three months. Unacceptable for a three month old expensive toy. With that said I love the machine and I'm so happy to bought local. I'm usually one that will do everything possible to save a buck. I bought local because I knew we had a great supplier here in Houston and I knew these machines were complicated and I'm not skilled enough to work on one. I paid a fair price and while not bottom dollar it was worth it to receive outstanding support from Joystix. I don't know if I'll ever buy another JJP machine but whatever I buy you can bet it will be from Joystix.

I hate that you have had these bad experiences and hope that things get cleared up. I will say i have had a couple problems with my RRWOZ. #1 the castle doors were on the fritz but i called in and the parts i needed arrived within days, the second problem kind of was caused by the first in a way. I guess coupled along with my mistake, however when i had the top playfield off i managed to scratch the side rail with about a 1/4 inch mark. Jen always has SUPER FAST response time on email so she was in touch quite quickly and offered initially a paint that could be picked up at the auto store? I was not comfortable with that so i asked if i could just purchase another rail and within a couple days it was at my house for a somewhat reasonable price. They do try to take care of their customers i think maybe sometimes they have just gotten overwhelmed with all they have going on etc. That is no excuse mind you and i don't get anything from jjp for putting in my 2 cents just wanted to let you know there are others that have had problems and for the most part they make good if you are a customer

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/very-disappointed-with-jjp-support-on-my-woz-75rr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.