6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Can anybody help me as to why I can't get my account verified through PayPal

#2 6 years ago

I put my PayPal information in and it says sorry I can't verify through PayPal because of abuse of PayPal verification or something.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yscratch:

Can anybody help me as to why I can't get my account verified through PayPal

Because tons of scammers are doing the same thing and internally at Pinside HQ dots are being connected.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yscratch:

Can anybody help me as to why I can't get my account verified through PayPal.

Some scammer used PayPal verification to post IJ for sale on Pinside for the low price of $3900. Regular Pinsiders caught this as a scam and site founder Robin deleted the scam ad and took action to avoid similar scams, posting in that IJ thread:

"I was not expecting this when we created this (free) verification method but logically, I will be removing the free PayPal verification method (at least for now)."

#5 6 years ago

Unfortunately, Paypal auth has been disabled. I'm not sure what's been going on lately, but the Paypal verification method no longer seems to be a reliable method to ensure someone is a legit person. The way this used to work was that PayPal did the heavy lifting by verifying people for us (using bank account validation). We simply read out the "verified" flag from these linked PayPal accounts. But these past few weeks we've been seeing an increasing number of (hacked?) PayPal accounts being used to verify people.

And then recently, someone got scammed for a pretty hefty sum. That really bums me out quite a lot. I take this stuff very seriously and want to protect members in this community from getting scammed.

I'm currently figuring out alternative ways of verifying sellers and keeping the Pinside marketplace the safest space on the internet to trade pinball machines.

Note! It's important to note that scammers are not just posting games for sale on the Market place. They now also contact folks privately (mostly newbies with wanted ads). And they're getting pretty clever at it too. They know the basics of pinball - at least well enough to be somewhat convincing. The internet (and even Pinside) provides them with tons of photos and descriptions to use. They seem to get more convincing every day.

I am actively developing new methods to detect scammers. Mostly technical stuff, but I will also work on educating (newbie) users. E.g. the new warning banner we now display under PMs from new Pinside members.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/verifying-account-3?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.